home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Fearsome & mammoth, only allowable PRF STYLE & BEAUTY THREAD

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Fearsome & mammoth, only allowable PRF STYLE & BEAUTY TH

Postby Nico Adie on Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:34 am

Charles Tyrwhitt make good oxford shirts, 4 for £100. Get the slim or superslim fit or you'll feel like you're wearing a tent.

All the other suggestions are good, though I'd be inclined not to wear moleskin trews as a man in my early 20's. Nothing wrong with wearing trainers as long as they're a classic style (stan smiths/chucks/etc) and are clean. Same with jeans. A nice selvedge pair if you can find them. Slim rather than skinny fit. Cable knit jumper for the colder days.
Nico Adie
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Mason on Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Antero, Nico Adie: nice.

Antero, you're big on buying clothes (esp. tailoring) off eBay, right? Any tips for that?
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Madman Munt on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Nico Adie wrote:Charles Tyrwhitt make good oxford shirts, 4 for £100.

Everything my Dad wears comes from CT. He said discovering them really simplified his life. He dresses way better now, also.

TM Lewin are good as well. I would have said that their fabrics were slightly better than CT and the cut not so good, but I'm not so sure any more. I think fabrics are worse all round these days and cuts generally better. Lots of options to get the right fit.

Avoid Non-Iron. Learn to press a shirt in the morning like a real man.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby Ben Abraham on Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Mason wrote:Antero, Nico Adie: nice.

Antero, you're big on buying clothes (esp. tailoring) off eBay, right? Any tips for that?

IANFMA but I have a few bespoke quality suits that I have got on eBay and I have had altered.

Make sure the shoulder measurement is right. You cannot tailor shoulders. Other parts can be altered, but the shoulders cannot. Here's a more detailed guide http://hespokestyle.com/suit-jacket-alt ... ing-guide/

A full canvassed suit is desirable as suits that are not will have weird bubbles that form where the glue separates from a cheaper fused interlining. Here's a good resource for more suit lingo. https://www.oliverwicks.com/article/half-vs-full-canvas

Unless you're into 4 inch lapels, avoid suits from the 1970s. I prefer slimmer lapels. Get good quality fabrics. Dark greys and navys are the best all purpose colors in that order. I like light grey as a third suit color. Some people make a big deal about functional suit sleeves...I don't.
Ben Abraham
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Nico Adie on Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:48 am

Madman Munt wrote:Avoid Non-Iron. Learn to press a shirt in the morning like a real man.

Yes!

To my mind, the optimal/most efficient way is as follows:

Iron collar flat
Iron yoke
Iron sleeves/cuffs. I don't unbutton my cuffs before ironing because I don't "play" by the "rules"
Iron front panels
Iron back
Iron folded collar to create sharp fold

Takes me almost exactly the same time to iron a shirt as it does for my moka pot to make coffee.
Nico Adie

Postby enframed on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:03 am

Nico Adie wrote:
Madman Munt wrote:Avoid Non-Iron. Learn to press a shirt in the morning like a real man.

Yes!

To my mind, the optimal/most efficient way is as follows:

Iron collar flat
Iron yoke
Iron sleeves/cuffs. I don't unbutton my cuffs before ironing because I don't "play" by the "rules"
Iron front panels
Iron back
Iron folded collar to create sharp fold

Takes me almost exactly the same time to iron a shirt as it does for my moka pot to make coffee.

I do it in the following order.

Iron collar flat
Iron sleeves/cuffs
Iron yoke
Iron back
Iron folded collar
Iron front panels

Your arms and back are gonna start creasing right when you sit down to drive or on subway, whatever. The front panels are what people you interact with will see the most, so I always do it last to ensure no creases.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Tommy on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:13 pm

I'm clearly not a real man, having never used an iron on anything to date. That being said, I know I'm not stylish. Sorta wish I cared, I just don't. Comfort almost always wins over style for me.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby andyman on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:18 pm

Anyone have any experience with small hand steamers? I'm thinking of picking one up for my many t-shirts, since they crease easily and I only want to drag the ironing board out for the heavier stuff like shirts and jeans.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby RSMurphy on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:59 pm

Ironing denim is crazy-talk. Throw them shits in the dryer (and that beat in the garbage can). I hope you aren't creasing them.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby enframed on Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:15 pm

RSMurphy wrote:Ironing denim is crazy-talk.

I used to work with this adorable gay man whose jeans, no matter how old and tattered, all had creases. I can't imagine anyone not gay doing this.
Records for sale.

enframed

Postby RSMurphy on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:06 pm

enframed wrote: I can't imagine anyone not gay doing this.

I can't imagine anyone gay and under the age of Sir Ian McKellen doing it. No slight to Sir, mind you, it just really seems like a "dad" thing to do.

Diesel always has dope kicks BTW. Ageless and always stylish. Shame what's been happening to their tees over the years.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Madman Munt on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:20 pm

andyman wrote:Anyone have any experience with small hand steamers? I'm thinking of picking one up for my many t-shirts, since they crease easily

Wot? Who irons their T-shirts? Not even Sir Ian McKellen, I'll bet.

Wash, hang to dry, fold.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby RSMurphy on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:28 pm

I totally iron my tshirts. I hate looking ruffled. The thing is not to get them ruffled because I really, really hate ironing. Immediate removal from the washer and dryer cuts down on the wrinkles, along with a great fabric softener.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby andyman on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:32 pm

I don't use the dryer (why waste electricity when I can just hang them? plus, I assume shit shrinks). I use a lot of fabric softener on them, too, so they're really prone to wrinkling.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby RSMurphy on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:45 pm

I wash/dry my jeans immediately after buying them, but I don't consistently throw them in the dryer after every wash. I also tend to buy, uh...fancier denim that hardly wrinkles.

I believe it's OK to dry denim on occasion. I also don't think it shrinks each time, but am not entirely sure about it. I'm tall and have difficulty finding jeans that fit and last. The fancier brands usually do me well, and I tend to take meticulous care of them tho. YMMV!
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby eliya on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:48 pm

andyman wrote:Anyone have any experience with small hand steamers? I'm thinking of picking one up for my many t-shirts, since they crease easily and I only want to drag the ironing board out for the heavier stuff like shirts and jeans.

We have one of those hand steamers and it works pretty well. Never used it on t-shirts though.

I air dry my jeans, excuse me, denim. They always get wrinkled.

I should really step out of this thread. I'm the last person to give any sort of beauty or styling advice!
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Janeway on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:37 pm

i used to iron for anyone in my family that needed it but if they tried to stand around waiting for their work clothes or whatever I'd squirt the button and shoot the steam water out like a teapot water gun. it's not boiling hot or anything so it's not like it was cruel, just a funny surprises like a clown flower on a suit.
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby enframed on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:05 pm

RSMurphy wrote:I wash/dry my jeans immediately after buying them, but I don't consistently throw them in the dryer after every wash. I also tend to buy, uh...fancier denim that hardly wrinkles.

I believe it's OK to dry denim on occasion. I also don't think it shrinks each time, but am not entirely sure about it. I'm tall and have difficulty finding jeans that fit and last. The fancier brands usually do me well, and I tend to take meticulous care of them tho. YMMV!

Denim doesn't shrink after every wash. Anyone who thinks that is getting fatter after every wash.
Records for sale.

enframed

Postby andyman on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:17 pm

So, it sounds like I need to work on my folding.

eliya wrote:We have one of those hand steamers and it works pretty well. Never used it on t-shirts though.

Thanks. I guess I'll pick one of the small portable ones up and see how much time it saves.

Man, I hate ironing...
andyman

Postby RSMurphy on Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:11 pm

eliya wrote:We have one of those hand steamers and it works pretty well. Never used it on t-shirts though.

obvs

I air dry my jeans, excuse me, denim. They always get wrinkled.

Exactly what is everyone doing that their denim gets wrinkled?
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion