home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Bandcamp is a holy shit hell fuck bonkers crazy go nuts tool

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Bandcamp is a holy shit hell fuck bonkers crazy go nuts

Postby Model Citizen on Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:09 am

frankcostanzaslawyer wrote:I'm not exactly an established poster here (cough4thpostcough), but thought I'd post this. I recently got one of my albums remastered by someone who knew a bit more what they were doing than I did on the first try. I released it yesterday. It's lo-fi, backgroundish, pretty ambient type stuff. https://notttt.bandcamp.com/album/im-ha ... 6-remaster

Just listened to a bit of this, sounds really good man.
Model Citizen
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby frankcostanzaslawyer on Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:23 pm

Model Citizen wrote:
frankcostanzaslawyer wrote:I'm not exactly an established poster here (cough4thpostcough), but thought I'd post this. I recently got one of my albums remastered by someone who knew a bit more what they were doing than I did on the first try. I released it yesterday. It's lo-fi, backgroundish, pretty ambient type stuff. https://notttt.bandcamp.com/album/im-ha ... 6-remaster

Just listened to a bit of this, sounds really good man.

Thanks! And thanks for checking it out, I really appreciate it
frankcostanzaslawyer
viscount
viscount

Postby Gramsci on Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:28 pm

Being featured in the New York Times means it's over, right?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/20/arts/ ... p=cur&_r=0
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Jon M. on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:57 am

Hit School's first release ("Hit School") is available from Already Dead Tapes on cassette ($5/includes download): https://alreadydeadtapes.bandcamp.com/a ... hit-school

Recorded and mixed by Shane at Howl Street in Milwaukee, WI
Mastered by Carl Saff

From the Already Dead website:
Hit School’s self-titled 9-song debut on Already Dead Tapes is a furious beast that sounds like a collision of Scratch Acid and the Birthday Party. However, the occasional relatively mellow moments from either of those typically raucous groups (think “Owner’s Lament” or “She’s Hit” respectively) have been lost in translation. Hit School are nonstop rambunctious. The vocalist howls like a wounded caged animal over jagged guitars and brutal bass and drums. Titles such as “Hair Lip,” “Dark Bats” and “Dirty Pee” even seem to carry the aesthetic sensibilities of the aforementioned groups. It’s a menacing, energetic engagement that is over in under 20 minutes. Knowing absolutely nothing about the people making the music found on this recording makes them seem kind of scary. A real standout track is the “Bells of St. Mary” with its demented looping glissando guitars and deliberate sound glitches a la “The Hit” by Daughters. Also recommended if you dig the Jesus Lizard (obviously) or Arab on Radar.
Jon M.
phil niekro
phil niekro

Postby wotown on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:56 am

Hey, feel free to Kerble me to wherever in the 30 pages of posts this may have been addressed, but has anyone had to go back and try to get an old download they'd already bought? I'm realizing I didn't backup my last laptop to the fullest. I was hoping I could log into BC and have the option to re-download things I'd bought, but I don't even seem to have a "fan" account. I've emailed the first band whose album I noticed was missing from my collection, so hopefully they'll have a hookup...
I play bass in Body Futures
I sing and play whatever's needed in The Five Mod Four
I rarely use Twitter
wotown
lt. sharon 'boomer' valerii

Postby numberthirty on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:08 am

wotown wrote:Hey, feel free to Kerble me to wherever in the 30 pages of posts this may have been addressed, but has anyone had to go back and try to get an old download they'd already bought? I'm realizing I didn't backup my last laptop to the fullest. I was hoping I could log into BC and have the option to re-download things I'd bought, but I don't even seem to have a "fan" account. I've emailed the first band whose album I noticed was missing from my collection, so hopefully they'll have a hookup...

You're talking about something like this?

Somebody asked me if it were possible to re-download a copy of one of our releases they’d bought from us on our Bandcamp store…

The answer is yes, absolutely! You just need a Bandcamp fan account. If you don’t have one here’s how to set one up.

1. Firstly go to https://bandcamp.com/fans and scroll down to the part where you can enter your email address. Make sure to enter the email address you used to pay for your music as this is what links your collection to your fan account. Once done you should have access to your very own collection (here’s mine).

2. Here you’ll see that your page is populated by your collection. If you hover over a particular release you want to re-download you’ll see a download link appear (see image below). Clicking that will take you to the download screen where you can choose your format. Simple as that!
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby 154 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:56 am

They say the codes are supposed to work "a few times" too but that wasn't the case for me yesterday when I tried putting one of my own records on my phone. Said I had already used it too much, when it had only been used once on my laptop. Hmmm.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby wotown on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:40 pm

I found the missing album in a weird spot on my hard drive, but then created a fan account (while buying the new OUT, Petrillo, His Name is Alive and Minders), and it wound up showing me I'd say 70% of the albums I've bought on Bandcamp over the last few years. Not including the one I'd been looking for. Anyway, thanks for the tips!
I play bass in Body Futures
I sing and play whatever's needed in The Five Mod Four
I rarely use Twitter
wotown

Postby noise&light on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Finally, Drag City Records is on Bandcamp. I think they'll find that this was a good move.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Mason on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:56 pm

noise&light wrote:Finally, Drag City Records is on Bandcamp. I think they'll find that this was a good move.

I hope this is Bandcamp's moment of "Beatles on iTunes" consecration.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:45 am

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:
noise&light wrote:Finally, Drag City Records is on Bandcamp. I think they'll find that this was a good move.

Sue Schofield will make a fortune.

Yeah, this is incredible..Finally!
Your taste is in your ass
thelonelymastodronus
bobby seale
bobby seale

Postby Pasta on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Looks like I'll be buying some more PRF stuff Friday. And "The State of the Union" comp. Which dischord is still donating funds to ACLU from. Get back some of the shit I lost in the great hard drive crash.
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby cneutron on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:55 pm

Ah nice! came here to post the same, here with text for the lazy:

Like 98% of U.S. citizens (including the President), I am the descendant of immigrants—my great-grandparents came to America from Russia and Lithuania as teenagers and worked in sweatshops until they were able to afford to bring the rest of their families over. Most everyone you speak to in this country has a similar story to tell, because we are, in fact, a nation of immigrants, bound together by a shared belief in justice, equality, and the freedom to pursue a better life. In this context, last week’s Executive Order barring immigrants and refugees from seven Middle Eastern countries from entering the United States is not simply immoral, it violates the very spirit and foundation of America.

Contrary to the assertions of the current administration, the order will not make us safer (an opinion shared by the State Department and many members of Congress including prominent Republicans). Christian religious leaders have denounced both the ban, as well as the exception prioritizing Christian immigrants, as inhumane. It is an unequivocal moral wrong, a cynical attempt to sow division among the American people, and is in direct opposition to the principles of a country where the tenet of religious freedom is written directly into the Constitution. This is not who we are, and it is not what we believe in. We at Bandcamp oppose the ban wholeheartedly, and extend our support to those whose lives have been upended.

And so all day this Friday, February 3rd (starting at 12:01am Pacific Time), for any purchase you make on Bandcamp, we will be donating 100% of our share of the proceeds to the American Civil Liberties Union, who are working tirelessly to combat these discriminatory and unconstitutional actions.

As another way of showing solidarity with the immigrants and refugees from the seven banned countries—as well as those impacted by the construction of the Mexican border wall—we’ve compiled a list of albums made by artists from the affected countries (Bandcamp may be incorporated in the United States, but we host artists from every corner of the world). We believe that knowledge and empathy are crucial weapons against fear and intolerance. We hope that, as you listen to these albums, you’ll not only discover some great new artists, but will also gain a further appreciation and understanding for the way music transcends all borders, and remember that, even in the darkest of times, there is more that unites us than divides us.

— Ethan Diamond, Bandcamp Founder & CEO

I know there are a few bands donating their share to the ACLU as well (Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends included).

So seems like a good day to not only go music shopping but help prove a very important point or two.

I'll be picking up a few things for sure.
"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends = Music band: Neutron/Ash/Crover.
Protonic Reversal = Radio Show/Podcast
Radio NOPE = 24/7 Kickass tunes/talk
cneutron
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby 154 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Pretty cool and somewhat daring thing for them to do. It may seem like preaching to the choir around here, but think about all the morons boycotting Starbucks right now for showing an ounce of compassion. Anyway, a good thing, and I'm sure we all have things we've been meaning to buy anyway.

Postby Pasta on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:22 pm

cneutron wrote:Ah nice! came here to post the same, here with text for the lazy:

Like 98% of U.S. citizens (including the President), I am the descendant of immigrants—my great-grandparents came to America from Russia and Lithuania as teenagers and worked in sweatshops until they were able to afford to bring the rest of their families over. Most everyone you speak to in this country has a similar story to tell, because we are, in fact, a nation of immigrants, bound together by a shared belief in justice, equality, and the freedom to pursue a better life. In this context, last week’s Executive Order barring immigrants and refugees from seven Middle Eastern countries from entering the United States is not simply immoral, it violates the very spirit and foundation of America.

Contrary to the assertions of the current administration, the order will not make us safer (an opinion shared by the State Department and many members of Congress including prominent Republicans). Christian religious leaders have denounced both the ban, as well as the exception prioritizing Christian immigrants, as inhumane. It is an unequivocal moral wrong, a cynical attempt to sow division among the American people, and is in direct opposition to the principles of a country where the tenet of religious freedom is written directly into the Constitution. This is not who we are, and it is not what we believe in. We at Bandcamp oppose the ban wholeheartedly, and extend our support to those whose lives have been upended.

And so all day this Friday, February 3rd (starting at 12:01am Pacific Time), for any purchase you make on Bandcamp, we will be donating 100% of our share of the proceeds to the American Civil Liberties Union, who are working tirelessly to combat these discriminatory and unconstitutional actions.

As another way of showing solidarity with the immigrants and refugees from the seven banned countries—as well as those impacted by the construction of the Mexican border wall—we’ve compiled a list of albums made by artists from the affected countries (Bandcamp may be incorporated in the United States, but we host artists from every corner of the world). We believe that knowledge and empathy are crucial weapons against fear and intolerance. We hope that, as you listen to these albums, you’ll not only discover some great new artists, but will also gain a further appreciation and understanding for the way music transcends all borders, and remember that, even in the darkest of times, there is more that unites us than divides us.

— Ethan Diamond, Bandcamp Founder & CEO

I know there are a few bands donating their share to the ACLU as well (Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends included).

So seems like a good day to not only go music shopping but help prove a very important point or two.

I'll be picking up a few things for sure.

Yours is one of the albums I'll buy tomorrow.
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby Carl on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Picking up a Karl Hendricks record or two tomorrow helps the ACLU, gets some money to Karl's family, and gets you some of the best damned music made over the past quarter century.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby cneutron on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:58 pm

Carl wrote:Picking up a Karl Hendricks record or two tomorrow helps the ACLU, gets some money to Karl's family, and gets you some of the best damned music made over the past quarter century.

Ah! Excellent point. I have some holes to fill in my collection too.

Also, just got this from Jes at Bandcamp for those interested in not letting paypal get a cut that are donating their share to charity, good tip:

yeah. you can pay direct by credit card and i believe fees on payout are waived for charitable donations
"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
cneutron

Postby cneutron on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:55 pm

Holy moly, here's a list of bands and labels that are either matching or sending their share to the ACLU too. 150 and growing!
cneutron

Postby mrcancelled on Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:04 pm

cneutron wrote:Holy moly, here's a list of bands and labels that are either matching or sending their share to the ACLU too. 150 and growing!

This is awesome.
mrcancelled
walter cronkite
walter cronkite

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion