home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Recommend a....

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Recommend a....

Postby blackmarket on Mon May 15, 2017 1:24 pm

I use/have used VLC player just about every day for 10+ years on Windows, OSX, and Linux platforms in various capacities. It is the best. No contest. I have never had it just stop working. I have played with settings and couldn't figure my way out. I have hit the wrong hot key and screwed something up. I have had to reinstall because of a setting issue. It has always been my fault when it gets to that point. A reinstall and more careful attention has fixed any problem I have ever had.
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Adam Sr on Mon May 15, 2017 1:36 pm

The only thing I haven't tried is a new install on a new computer. Next time I get one, I'll give it a go.
Adam Sr
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby eliya on Mon May 15, 2017 2:02 pm

EDIT: Full uninstall and reinstall of VLC fixed the problem.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby lieandswell on Tue May 16, 2017 7:50 am

eliya wrote:A music player for Mac. Something simple that doesn't try to arrange my library or anything like that. Also needs to be able to play FLACs, WAVs, etc.

I've had my eye on Swinsian for some time, but haven't yet installed the free trial version. It gets a lot of good reviews but isn't free. Any experiences with it here?
lieandswell
corporal
corporal

Postby blackmarket on Tue May 16, 2017 11:48 am

lieandswell wrote:
eliya wrote:A music player for Mac. Something simple that doesn't try to arrange my library or anything like that. Also needs to be able to play FLACs, WAVs, etc.

I've had my eye on Swinsian for some time, but haven't yet installed the free trial version. It gets a lot of good reviews but isn't free. Any experiences with it here?

Swinsian looks really good. Minimal, but overpriced. I would not pay $20 for this music player. It needs EQ and gain adjustment if they want to charge money for it.
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby offal on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:45 am

Suggestions for decent earbuds with a fairly flat frequency response?

I had a trusty old pair of Phillips buds for about 10 years that finally shit the bed, and they are no longer available. They had quality bass response, but I've had a few pairs since that claimed to have good bass response, but instead made everything sound like it went through a dub bass EQ.

Not looking for audiophile quality, but above average. Say $30-$50?

Many thanks.
offal
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Maurice on Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:39 pm

offal wrote:Suggestions for decent earbuds with a fairly flat frequency response?

I had a trusty old pair of Phillips buds for about 10 years that finally shit the bed, and they are no longer available. They had quality bass response, but I've had a few pairs since that claimed to have good bass response, but instead made everything sound like it went through a dub bass EQ.

Not looking for audiophile quality, but above average. Say $30-$50?

Many thanks.

I've been happy with the non-noise-canceling Sennheiser CX 275 earbuds; last time I bought them, they were $43.
music every week | here, too | and here | snwv | other stuff

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice

Postby elisha wiesner on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:49 am

A tent for yard camping with my daughter. Doesn't need to be fancy or have any bells and whistles. Not going to be used for any extreme wilderness adventures but I'd like something that isn't going to fall apart in a year.
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Janeway on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:46 am

^go name brand and spring for something with inner and outer zippers, preferably with side extenders, just do yourself the favor and give yourself that extra side space if you can afford it. off the top of my head i'll recommend coleman

https://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/4ff9c6 ... f53.v1.jpg
http://dwellinthegarden.com/wp-content/ ... n-tent.jpg

ive witnessed these lent back and forth between friends for camping trips and still doesn't have wear or tear. and im from a midwesten sporting goods family so ive got good creds on this one. practical, look at me being.
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby sitwell on Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:49 pm

I agree with Janeway on getting a Coleman tent. Pretty good bang for your buck and they have a bunch of different ones depending on what you need.
sitwell
denny dias
denny dias

Postby Janeway on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:21 am

...but if a man named cole wants to sell you his pants tent, don't buy!
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway

Postby noise&light on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:56 am

Recommend a rental insurance company.

Share tips if you have this. I'm very late to the game on this one.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:43 pm

noise&light wrote:Recommend a rental insurance company.

Share tips if you have this. I'm very late to the game on this one.

My first place was insured through Allstate, and that was totally fine. We're now insured through USAA, but only because there's a family/military connection there now.
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby enframed on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:01 am

Lots of places will package car and renters insurance.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby bumble on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:05 pm

elisha wiesner wrote:A tent for yard camping with my daughter. Doesn't need to be fancy or have any bells and whistles. Not going to be used for any extreme wilderness adventures but I'd like something that isn't going to fall apart in a year.

Hey man, for yard camping, go with a pop-up tent. They're fast, they're fun, they're good for all but terrible weather.

https://smile.amazon.com/Pop-up-Automatic-Instant-Portable-Cabana/dp/B072PQDJP4/ref=sr_1_6?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1503511476&sr=1-6&keywords=pop+up+tent
bumble

Postby VaticanShotglass on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:02 pm

New budget Laptop.

There are a few old threads about this, but I'll just ask here. My 2008 13" Black MacBook is, sadly, showing its age. It has been a great machine. Currently the battery is kaput and all the software is no longer supporting it.

I'm keeping it for what it still does but need something new, cheap, and mobile. Not a Chromebook.

I have a tiny budget. Prefferably this will be under $300. I know, I know. This is more of a stop gap computer, but needs to do at least what my 9 year old computer could do were it not unsupported by damned near everything.

Tasks:

-Writing, editing, etc. (this is how I make tiny amounts of money)
-Internet browsing.
-streaming media (Netflix, YouTube, etc.)
-basic decade old standard video and audio editing
-maybe play Minecraft with my brother

(presumed) Features:

-at least 4 gigs of RAM? Maybe upgradable?
-at least 500 gig hard drive (conventional drive is fine?) (I will need to take my media library with me)
-half way decent keyboard (for writing on the move)
-at least one old fashioned USB port (for my gadgets)
-iTunes support for my iPhone and iPad management.
-Windows 10 probably?
-analog headphone out and input (I guess those new hybrid combo jacks are fine if I can get a splitter adapter).
-video out

Bonus Features:

-the more connectivity the better.
-whatever I'm too ignorant to know I need.
-analog video out (vga)
-more USB
-decent looking screen (preferably not giant)
-not stupid ugly
-anything a little more physically robust than my wife's Acer from a few years back, but I'm pretty gentle
-a DVD/CD burner (can go external if I need to)
-I think that's it.

Mysteries:

-processor? How do they work?
-good OS relative freeware whereever possible.
-virus protection??
-office software??
-image, audio, and video editing?

Thanks for any help. This may not be feasible but when looking a while back I seem to recall a few Dells, Acers, and maybe a Lenovo meeting this criteria in an affordable package.
VaticanShotglass
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby rappard on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:43 am

VaticanShotglass wrote:New budget laptop.

[Martin: snip remainder of post.]

Given your constraints I'd get a refurbished Dell or Lenovo laptop under warranty.

* Software: I've yet to find functionality that's missing from freeware or open-source software. Then again, I don't use Final Cut Pro, InDesign, Photoshop, Pro Tools or similar corporate/professional stuff.
* RAM: indeed, make sure it's upgradable to at least 8 GB.
* Drive: solid-state is faaaast compared to conventional, so it's more in the "nice-to-have" category
* DVD/CD burner: go external. Laptop optical drives are crap.
* Processor: Intel i3 or up.
Robert Bork wrote:[S]ome of the worst rappers are white, like Nine Inch Nails.
rappard
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby VaticanShotglass on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:08 pm

rappard wrote:
VaticanShotglass wrote:New budget laptop.

[Martin: snip remainder of post.]

Given your constraints I'd get a refurbished Dell or Lenovo laptop under warranty.

* Software: I've yet to find functionality that's missing from freeware or open-source software. Then again, I don't use Final Cut Pro, InDesign, Photoshop, Pro Tools or similar corporate/professional stuff.
* RAM: indeed, make sure it's upgradable to at least 8 GB.
* Drive: solid-state is faaaast compared to conventional, so it's more in the "nice-to-have" category
* DVD/CD burner: go external. Laptop optical drives are crap.
* Processor: Intel i3 or up.

Awesome. Thanks.

One question, most solid state drives are pretty small at my price point. Would it be feasible to offload most media archiving onto an external drive? I don't know how that works. Say I keep my gigs of live shows on my external drive, can I just plug that sucker in when I want to load up some fresh jams on my phone or if I want to listen to my extensive library through the computer?
VaticanShotglass
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby blackmarket on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:20 pm

I think you are asking for the impossible. For video editing, you will want at least 8GB of RAM, an i5 quad-core processor, and a decent GPU. I doubt you will find that for $300 or less. I would first consider upgrading the HDD to an SSD. That is pretty easy. Consider upping the RAM. You can go (unofficially) to 6GB. You can then update to El Capitan, which has better memory management than previous iterations. While you have the machine open, clean to dust out and check the thermal paste on the processor. These could help in reducing heat. Any $300 notebook you find will probably not be much better than what you have. These upgrades might hold you over for a year or so.
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby rappard on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:35 pm

VaticanShotglass wrote:Awesome. Thanks.

You're welcome.

VaticanShotglass wrote:One question, most solid state drives are pretty small at my price point. Would it be feasible to offload most media archiving onto an external drive? I don't know how that works. Say I keep my gigs of live shows on my external drive, can I just plug that sucker in when I want to load up some fresh jams on my phone or if I want to listen to my extensive library through the computer?

Definitely, although you'll need to factor in another $60 or so for an external 1 TB drive. Also, refurbished laptops often come with a traditional drive, in which case you'll need to spend another $90 or so for an SSD replacement (but then you can stick the old drive in an external enclosure).

Note that I "translated" Dutch prices to US prices by a 1:1 EUR:USD ratio, so if you shop around you can probably do better than me.

I'm partial to Lenovo ThinkPads (T- and X-series) since they're built like brick shithouses. Just checked Amazon, and you can get a very decent X220 (i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, 12.5" screen, Windows 7) for $250 + shipping. If you're going for a ThinkPad, let me know - I've had 4 over the years, so I have loads of peripherals and cables lying around you can have for free.
Robert Bork wrote:[S]ome of the worst rappers are white, like Nine Inch Nails.
rappard
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion