home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Modern Concert Experience

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: The Modern Concert Experience

Postby Rodabod on Thu May 20, 2010 4:24 am

fantasmatical thorr wrote:At Drainland and Jovian show last night, the dreadlocks of the man behind me were making me want to vomit as they pummeled my bare arm.

When I recently went to see A Silver Mt. Zion, the guy with dreads in front of me did the most despicable thing. During a "heavy" section, he grabbed his dreads near his head and started swinging them round. WTF. They were going everywhere, and were close to going in my pint.
Rodabod
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby fantasmatical thorr on Thu May 20, 2010 4:28 am

Rodabod wrote:
fantasmatical thorr wrote:At Drainland and Jovian show last night, the dreadlocks of the man behind me were making me want to vomit as they pummeled my bare arm.

When I recently went to see A Silver Mt. Zion, the guy with dreads in front of me did the most despicable thing. During a "heavy" section, he grabbed his dreads near his head and started swinging them round. WTF. They were going everywhere, and were close to going in my pint.

The Mike Patton curated ATP was THE WORST for dreads. Like a thousand hairy jelly fish on a sting(k)ing frenzy during all headbanging scenes.
Tom wrote: I remember going in the back and seeing him headbanging to Big Black. He looked like he was raping the air- really. He had this look on his face like, "yeah air... you know you want it.".
fantasmatical thorr
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby honeyisfunny on Thu May 20, 2010 4:59 am

turnbullac wrote:Remember when kids used to bring their backpacks to emo shows? Or like sit on the edge of the stage and read a book while the opening band was playing?

I also remember going to see Vic Chesnutt at the knitting factory and everyone was sitting down on the floor like it was storytime.

When I saw Michael Gira in London a few years back, he came out and everyone was sitting down. He calmly addressed everyone:

"Young people? Before I start playing could you do something for me? Could you please stand up and show me some respect"

The backpack thing was fucking awful. I remember being at a show where everyone in front of me had them on. I opened one up: a bag of Quavers and a skate spanner. Bastard.
chris jury wrote:"blistering walls of questionable tone"
honeyisfunny
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby honeyisfunny on Thu May 20, 2010 5:14 am

Minotaur029 wrote:I got annoyed when everyone talked during Smog's set one time.

Years ago Smog played the opening weekend of a local venue when it was bought out by the big venue in town. Lots of guestlist. Fearing the worst, me and my friend Neil moved to the side of the stage before the start - the stage is at one end of the room with a walkway along the side leading to the doors out to the toilets. You can loiter in this area if you don't mind hearing the stage sound more than the PA and it's less crowded. Cue this fucknut coming in and standing right behind us and just running through every detail if his day, his graphic design job, what he ate for lunch etc at very loud volume to his friend. We tried to let him know gently that maybe he should go outside, then the crowd out front began to notice his noise too and make comments. He didnt notice so Neil went out of the doors and in some misjudged attempt to make him see the error of his ways, he came crashing back through the doors announcing in similarly loud voice to the talking man: "WOW I JUST HAD THE MOST AMAZING SHIT. LET ME TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT"
at which point the band had ended the song and turned to see where the talking was coming from. It really was a beautiful moment.
honeyisfunny

Postby fantasmatical thorr on Thu May 20, 2010 5:33 am

HunnyisFunny and I were stood in the big pavillion at ATP just gone when I spied a young man, sat crossed legged with a laptop. He was looking at Facebook.
Tom wrote: I remember going in the back and seeing him headbanging to Big Black. He looked like he was raping the air- really. He had this look on his face like, "yeah air... you know you want it.".
fantasmatical thorr

Postby honeyisfunny on Thu May 20, 2010 5:42 am

fantasmatical thorr wrote:HunnyisFunny and I were stood in the big pavillion at ATP just gone when I spied a young man, sat crossed legged with a laptop. He was looking at Facebook.

I took pictures of the Facebookers when The Fall were playing, the only way I could handle it was to make it a little game for myself where I had to secretly snap them. Obviously someone on a parallel msg board is moaning about the guy taking pictures of people on the internet while the Fall were playing etc etc...
I'm all for snapping a few point-and-shoot pics of a band you love for memory's sake - I am so pleased I took my camera to shows 15 years ago as it brings them right back to me when I look at the photos - but FFS can your email/Facebook status not just wait? A 3 day festival is a blessing for me in that I don't want to check the internet for that time.
honeyisfunny

Postby Bill Swansea on Thu May 20, 2010 6:45 am

At the Stooges' Raw Power gig a guy stood in front of me with long blonde hair, a sleeveless shirt and was doing a weird 80s hair metal attempt to be sexy dance throughout. It was bizzarre and annoying, especcially when he stood confused and motionless during "1970" and "Fun House" during the encores. What a dick that guy was.

Also during that gig there were 8 year olds really getting into Suicides wall of noise. Strange.

During ATP I didn't notice too many stupid hipster types that really pissed me off, though I did hear a story of someone being asked "is this Pavement?" during their set.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.

Iesu Grist . NCB .PC .
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Control Z on Thu May 20, 2010 7:58 am

fantasmatical thorr wrote:HunnyisFunny and I were stood in the big pavillion at ATP just gone when I spied a young man, sat crossed legged with a laptop. He was looking at Facebook.

:smt011

Who was playing at the time?
Control Z
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Hans on Thu May 20, 2010 10:31 am

That would make me want to vomit too. Dreads are disgusting.
Hans
hindu
hindu

Postby geiginni on Thu May 20, 2010 10:35 am

Mark Hansen wrote:
geiginni wrote:I don't think of these experiences as described as "concerts". They're generally just "shows". A bar or club with a stage lets a bunch of people in for a fee and they can do whatever the fuck they want within reason. That doesn't bother me. I'm at a bar. It's loud as fuck. You wanna text? Take pictures? Talk loudly? Read? Make out with your sig other? Heckle? I don't give a fuck. This is a bar!

Shows at the Metro or Aragon or whatever? I don't go to those. Too expensive and generally I'm not interested in trying to revive nostalgia for a group I loved when I was 16, or some hip flavor of the moment who've gotten too big for their own good.

Concerts proper? You show up, and it's in a theater. Ushers take or scan your ticket. You take a seat. They ask you to turn off your phones beforehand. They also tell you not to take pictures or recordings. There are lozenges so you don't cough (and if it's Keith Jarret you're seeing, you better not fucking cough!). You sit quietly and listen to the performance. There will be an intermission so you have 15 minutes to get a drink of water and pee. You clap politely after a solo, or perhaps the expectation is you'll wait until the end of the entire work to applaud. Then it's over and everyone shuffles politely out together.

That is a "concert". Do you really want a "show" to be like that? I don't.

Then I guess seeing Leonard Cohen at the Rosemont Theatre wouldn't have floated your boat, or lifted your luggage for that matter. Too bad. It was one of the best shows/concerts I saw all year.

I'm going to guess that was more along the lines of "concert" as I described it, rather than show. Saw him years ago in Minneapolis. It was a great "concert" as I remember it.
geiginni

Postby Control Z on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:48 pm

The Ancient Concert Experience: I saw Black Flag at the Cabaret Metro, as it was then called, in '82. Apart from having two of my ribs broken by some fool at a Combichrist show in 2008, I can't remember another musical event where I felt more unwelcome and unsafe than I did at that Black Flag show, and that includes seeing quite a few harsh-sounding bands with many obnoxious (and occasionally physically violent) male fans.

I never saw Bikini Kill, or Le Tigre either. I like some of BK's stuff and a couple of Le Tigre songs, but I was too old by the '90s -- and busy with other stuff, like my actual life -- to really participate in riot grrrl. A friend saw Bikini Kill in '93 and says the show (in a basement) was fantastic, one of the best she's ever been to (and that includes some bands that you'd give a vital organ to have seen). I approved of riot grrrl strongly, if in a vague and rather elderly way. Kathleen was aight till she caught tardation from Beastie dick.

I don't believe in giving bad music a free pass for being politically or culturally simpatico to my stances, but the Black Flag fans at that Chicago '82 show were SUCH assholes, and what I heard of the scene around Bikini Kill and riot grrrl was SO cool, that I can't help but take that into account. When it comes to these two bands' records, I'll listen to either one and like it fine.
Control Z
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:07 pm

I like shows where I can jump around with my friends. I do collide into someone who does not want to take part from time to time but I try to apologize to that person usually.

Some shows obviously aren't meant for that - the Leonard Cohen one, for example.

It's just that no one - no one - shows any emotion. I go to concerts, in a sense, to show appreciation. I definitely go to concerts to have fun. And no one wants to do anything other than stand there and look bored. There has to be more to life and music than that. It's enough to make me understand why James Chance started his little audience-abusing routines.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Control Z on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:47 pm

SecondEdition wrote:I like shows where I can jump around with my friends. I do collide into someone who does not want to take part from time to time but I try to apologize to that person usually.

Me too.

I do not like shows where some people are there not to enjoy the music and have fun, but instead came to the show specifically so they could have a semi-excuse to beat the shit out of somebody or other, so that these people will feel better about themselves for about 1/10th of a second.
Last edited by Control Z on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Control Z
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:49 pm

Control Z wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:I like shows where I can jump around with my friends. I do collide into someone who does not want to take part from time to time but I try to apologize to that person usually.

Me too.

I do not like shows where it's immediately clear that some people are there not to enjoy the music and have fun, but specifically and only came to the show so they could have a semi-excuse to beat the shit out of somebody or other, so that these people will feel better about themselves for about 1/10th of a second.

I think you've seen my writing about that experience.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby Control Z on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:53 pm

Indeed I have. It is excellent, and caused me to consider my own experiences in a new light.
Control Z
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:10 pm

Control Z wrote:Indeed I have. It is excellent, and caused me to consider my own experiences in a new light.

Yeah, since yours are worse. Broken ribs = ouch.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby Control Z on Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Either/Or: "Two broken ribs" vs. "The experience -- repeated several times -- of being practically anally penetrated at Replacements and Husker Du shows in small venues in the early '80s, not because of malicious intent of sexual assault on the part of my fellow concertgoers but as the inevitable result of being sardined in with a lot of sweaty people, some not fully clothed, so that everyone is shoved right up against everybody else and there is full knees-to-shoulders body contact with strangers for an hour or so, with some people moving erratically."
Control Z
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Bill Swansea on Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:14 pm

In the ATP I went to everyone had this sort of left over energy from the Monotonix gig being called off, and once this Omar Souleyman (Youtube him if you don't know him) dude came on every just started dancing and jumping around and having fun, to the point where one guy fell over and we all helped him up. I must admit I do like (and sometimes, in worry of some cunts wanting to be cunts, I prefer) just standing there and nodding my head or whatever, but when everyone is jumping around and having a good time - that's what it's all about. I've only been to about three or four shows like that.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.

Iesu Grist . NCB .PC .
Bill Swansea

Postby MrWarandieBoy on Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:37 am

recently lightning bolt came to my country for the first time, and provided an interesting audience experience. they played on the floor in front of the stage as they usually do, and it was up to the crowd to keep themselves under control so that the band could play relatively unhindered. there was in interesting dynamic amongst the people nearest the band: there were the more respectful (and generally older) people who were keeping the crowd back a safe distance, and then there were the (generally younger and drunker) idiots who kept knocking over the instruments and putting their heads inches from chippendale's drums (and given the size of that guys sticks and the force with which he swings them, a connection could have been pretty much fatal).

i remember grabbing one drunk guy who was almost falling onto the drums by the collar of his tshirt and throwing back through the crowd onto the floor, before feeling bad and helping him up. the guy thanked me, then launched himself back at the drumkit in a drunken blur. idiot.

still, it wasn't all that annoying because there seemed to be a cool sense of camaraderie between the non-idiotic audience members and the band.
MrWarandieBoy
johnny moss
johnny moss

Postby Redline on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:03 am

he heeee
phpBB [media]
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion