home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

You fat bastard.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: You fat bastard.

Postby Seby on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:55 pm

I am in my forties, 6'5" / 196cm, and 159lbs / 72kg.

:smt006
Seby
jasper johns
jasper johns

Postby betch on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Madman Munt wrote:I got into reading about sports nutrition when I realised that, however delicious, a Melton Mowbray pork pie is disastrous as source of fuel halfway through a spirited bike ride.

The most useful book on the subject I've come across is Racing Weight, 2nd Ed. How to Get Lean for Peak Performance by Matt Fitzgerald. Although written for proper endurance athletes, I reckon bastards everywhere, fat and thin, will benefit from reading it. I'd urge anyone who is running, cycling, swimming, rowing or whatever to check it out. The stuff on nutrient timing and managing appetite I found particularly revelatory.

Just started that book. Pretty useful so far. Like, terrifyingly useful. Really informative and well-written, thanks! I am so trying to get lean this year....
betch
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby the finger genius on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:38 am

Cross Post and update from Abstaining From Alcohol thread

the finger genius wrote:Someone wrote about the Allen Carr books (stop smoking, stop drinking, lose weight, etc....) here and there have also been lots of posts about sugar as a crutch. Getting to the point, I bought Lose Weight the Easy Way about a year ago and finally got around to reading it last month, and in about 3-4 weeks I've lost about 25 lbs. We'll see if I can keep it up, but I'm genuinely less interested in eating garbage most of the time. I think it was helpful that I really did want to change the way I was eating (and feeling) and maybe the book / hypnosis - did I mention there's hypnosis involved - and I probably just needed a push to get me out of a pretty deep rut. It's worth a shot if anyone feels like they need help with food, smoking, alcohol, whatever.

2 months later and I've gone from ~ 255 to 215. Edit - just did the math and realized I've only been doing this 6 1/2 weeks. Just signed up to run in a race. This is not something I ever thought I would do (or really wanted to do.) If anyone is looking for help this book is definitely worth a shot.
jimmy two hands wrote:Then we all log off internet and eat nachos. All is well.

Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death
the finger genius
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby the finger genius on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:49 am

Hey, I ran 2.5 miles today. Down to 210.

the finger genius

Postby Justin Foley on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:20 pm

Keep it going, TFG!

= Justin
Justin Foley
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Luzwei on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Still fat. Yeahs.
lemur68 wrote:A bite from a Lu Zworis is also highly venomous.

I Joe 4 play.
Luzwei
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby bigsky on Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:44 am

Cava is a nice place. They sold off the big studio alas but it's still a nice place. Brian the owner is cool.

Anyway. I'm currently knocking out 10k steps a day. Still walking as running would shatter my knees at my current weight. Slowly but slowly I'll get there. Less carbs, more protein and the MyFitnessPal app are my life right now.
bigsky
vice president
vice president

Postby the finger genius on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:38 am

Just got back from a week long vacation, took the kids to the beach. Did lots of playing and swimming, but also ate lots of fried things and ice cream. Still, first weigh in when we got back was under 200 lbs. Haven't been under 200 since the summer after my junior year in College when I was working 70 hours a week (40 behind a push mower) and trying not to drink / go out to so I could save enough to finish up the last 2 semesters of school.

the finger genius

Postby thuggyBear on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:54 pm

I'm seeing a trainer now, working out 3x week. Tons of core stuff- i used to laugh at people working out with those stunad rubber bands but I was very, very, VERY wrong.

People keep saying I look thinner, but my weight keeps going up, which I think means good things. My sleeves are tighter, and my pants are looser, so I'm headed in the right direction.

Bad news: scale said 312 last time I got on it.

Good news: I can probably lift a moderately sized human over my head with one hand again without my shoulder popping out of joint.
Lord Commander of Bathysphere, proud PRF veteran of PRF2015 Oakland/SF
thuggyBear
sister
sister

Postby bigsky on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:02 am

I realised that I've wasted a year on stop-start exercise and dieting. So for the next week I'm going to do a liver detox as my filtering friend has taken a battering over the years. Protein shakes, vegetable juice and a lot of exercise the next 7 days. Then I'll see where I am, maybe do another 7 days.

After that, eat sensibly and exercise incessantly I suppose.
bigsky
vice president
vice president

Postby the finger genius on Sun May 28, 2017 9:09 am

Ran 5 miles today, have been at 195 for about a month now.

the finger genius

Postby Frank Decent on Sun May 28, 2017 9:50 pm

the finger genius wrote:Ran 5 miles today, have been at 195 for about a month now.

I managed to go down from 210 to 195 but I can't seem to get any further. I'm sure my Sunday beer drinking doesn't help.
Redline wrote:The dead bodies on your mattress and the rubber sheets in your wardrobe should dampen the early reflections.
Frank Decent
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby catwoman on Mon May 29, 2017 8:14 pm

Anybody doing that "macros" thing, in combination with weight lifting or interval training?
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby offal on Wed May 31, 2017 5:08 pm

I’ve been consistently plugging away for a good year or so now. Consistency has always been a challenge, and I wasn’t sure how I’d do post-fatherhood, but I’ve actually managed to keep my modest weekly gym visit going. It’s a highlight of my week, to be sure.

I can usually only spare an hour or so per week, but it’s slowly paying off -- last night I hit a new personal best. Nothing major, but I am clearly stronger than I was this time last year. Quiet victories.

Slight derail: When our daughter was maybe 3 months old or so (she’s just shy of 17 months now), I was getting bad pains in my shoulder -- a result of holding her for hours in the middle of the night, freezing in uncomfortable positions the second she went silent, praying for her to sleep. I reworked my routine to focus more on back/core strength, and man, has it made a difference. I look the same, but I can physically handle a lot more now without hurting myself, which is refreshing.

On the downside, I’ve let my cardio slide, and I’m feeling it. Spent time in the mountains last weekend and was much more winded than I should have been. Need to make time to add cardio back in.

TL:DR: Still have beer belly. Can't run. Can lift heavier things.
offal
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Janeway on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:22 pm

salad season now. the funny thing if you can remind yourself is that if you order a burger and fries you'll finish the whole thing prob and maybe still have room for more stuff, but if you order a salmon over a bed of lettuce, you'll finish the meat and half the salad and be stuffed and the salad will look like untouched still, it's hard to finish all those leaves but then that fiber is what's filling you up and giving you vitamins so it's worth it for your well being and for your wallet to be full on healthier foods... just each big ass portions and have peach iced tea with it and keep your favorite ripe fruit and whipped cream in the fridge and then that's dessert or late night snacks and then you're done. popsicles and chocolate sauce too. (always have some kind of chocolate .)
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Redline on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:13 pm

I'm practicing for the PRF BBQ...Eating and playing....

Usinger's Smoked Bratwurst with cheddar cheese and jalapeno peppers tonight!

Hey, I'll play drums for awhile and burn it off...
Redline

Postby Mason on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:00 pm

I have it fairly easy. Six feet and 165 pounds. But still, I need to lose this gut.

Don't know how I acquired it. Probably I'm just used to being scrawny as hell, and I'm now 25 instead of 18. But I eat okay-to-well, and largely vegan. I don't "work out" and don't play sports, but I walk to work and back (spring through fall), which amounts to about four miles/one hour a day. And I stopped drinking in March, and picked up much of the weight since then. But okay, I have a gut, and pants fit weird. I won't question it.

I have an exercise bike in the apartment here. No free weights or anything else. And I'm a little petrified of gyms. But I imagine I could get back to a more typical leanness doing light cardio, push-ups, and sit-ups. And/or rough equivalents—leg raises, planks, whatever. In fact I started on a daily thing of that earlier in the week. Committed to it at least til I finish school next Friday, at which point I'll reevaluate.

I'll read back through the thread and pick up what I can, but if anyone has advice (edit: doing light physical stuff without weights or most exercise machines), I'd take it.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby enframed on Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:41 pm

Last week I started this "intermittent fast" during which the idea is to eat everything over an 8-hr period, fasting for 16 hours/day. So I don't eat after 8pm and not before noon every day. I do have black coffee and tea before noon, and I do have wine after 8, so not quite following 100%. It's a schedule rather than a diet. Been sleeping better and feeling lighter, think I lost a couple pounds in a week. YMMV.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Janeway on Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:57 pm

^sounds like you're activating your leptin cycle which is good for increasing the production of metabolism but starvation mode for too long isn't beneficial so... moderation if er're thang
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:04 pm

I weighed around 240 on April 1- as of Saturday I am at 209. Gym 4 x a week for a couple hours a pop with lifting weights and walking. I only do cardio if I'm having a bad day or if I ate a lot. I count calories and monitor my heart rate with a Fitbit, which has really helped. I am eating low carbs, plenty of good fats, and lots of protein 5 x a day or so, plus a snack or two. Leafy greens with every meal. I give myself cheat meals whenever i want.

Macros? What's the consensus there?
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion