home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

You fat bastard.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: You fat bastard.

Postby the finger genius on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:25 pm

At high school weight for first time since... high school, which was 20 years ago.
jimmy two hands wrote:Then we all log off internet and eat nachos. All is well.

Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death
the finger genius
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby catwoman on Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:06 pm

enframed wrote:Last week I started this "intermittent fast" during which the idea is to eat everything over an 8-hr period, fasting for 16 hours/day. So I don't eat after 8pm and not before noon every day. I do have black coffee and tea before noon, and I do have wine after 8, so not quite following 100%. It's a schedule rather than a diet. Been sleeping better and feeling lighter, think I lost a couple pounds in a week. YMMV.

I've tried that a few times, and I can't make it for even a full week... keep us posted.
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Celebrate, mortals, for I have the new Best and Perfect routine. If you apply it regularly, three times a week, you could maybe, possibly, become as fit and beautiful as me 8)

Starting out:

5 sets of 5 pull-ups
5 sets of 5 dips

That's it. It's amazing. Eat however you want for the most part, as long as there's protein. Too much and you'll build strength, too little and you'll burn fat and keep lean mass. Any free outdoor fitness situation, if you are so blessed to be near a park, will have what you need to complete it. I use a home pull-up bar, and two kitchen counters. Increase reps as applicable. If you can't do either right away, just replace with negatives until you can!
Twilight Sparkle
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby matthewbarnhart on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Checking in with my long-lost compadres.

Finally back on the horse after spending most of this year being pulled a million different directions and not paying enough attention to myself. A good friend just celebrated the 1-yr anniversary of his heart attack and turning his shit around, so I'm even more motivated.

I'm 5' 10". Started 1 Jan 2015 @ 273 (2014 sucked), ended 2017 @ 186. Today I'm at 209. Hoping I can get back in the 180's by EOY, but not sweating it (har har). Ideally looking to hit 165 or so.

Running 5k and doing a 7-minute workout (pushups, leg lifts, etc) three times a week. Walking and biking a bit everyday. It's a fucking blast and it helps the brain feelings.

Back to mostly whole plant foods with the occasional other crap. Super-into the new Aldi in Bucktown. Been studiously tracking in CRON-O-Meter not to calorie restrict, but because I fuckin' love graphs. Averaging about 70-75% carbohydrate, 10% protein, and 15-20% fat, right where I want to be.

Doing my best to tick off Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen -- thankfully I have a highly competitive girlfriend who's into it. Listening to a lot of Rich Roll's podcast, especially the John Joseph and Dr. Garth Davis episodes.

Here's to kicking fucking ass for the rest of time. xoxo
matthewbarnhart
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace

Postby AdamN on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:12 pm

Back down to my HS weight after a few months of being on the keto diet. I binged way too much on pasta when I lived in Italy and continued that trend back in the US, also throwing pizza and berrs onto the fire. I also haven't had a drink in three months, which never hurts anything either. It feels weird to order bacon and eggs for breakfast but pass on toast and jam or pancakes. I run 8k four days per week, but exercise is only 20 percent of the equation. Other than that, I just need to remember to snack on pork rinds instead of potato chips between meals.
AdamN
sargent shriver
sargent shriver

Postby Mason on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:31 pm

I got a bit worse since I posted last in June. I'd scaled back on snack junk a bit, but still felt like I was overeating at every meal. Even things that were healthy, even amounts that seemed reasonable. I was overdoing it somehow.

So for three days last week, I wrote down everything I ate. I was getting advice from my sister about exercise/nutrition stuff, since she's studying that kind of thing and knows my deal better than most. We were both raised with basic nutrition sense, but I'd never taken to caring about calories, or knowing how many calories were in anything I ate. So she suggested I log everything and send it over for review.

I have no idea which aspects of my life might have set this off, or in what order, but it turns out I've been eating just north of 1000 calories a day. For quite a while, I'm sure. Meaning my metabolism has slowed to a crawl. Which does explain why well-portioned meals have felt punishing, and why any indiscretions with junky snacks showed orders of magnitude more than they ought to.

So she wrote me a loose "diet" plan, which I won't reproduce here because it'd be different for you, plus it's essentially "the way you suspect you should be eating, but more." But she also told me to start hitting the exercise bike every morning. High-intensity interval training—five minutes, to start, average/sprint/avg/sprint/avg. It can be after my coffee but it must be before breakfast. She also wrote a quick around-the-apartment resistance training plan, to do three or four times a week. Push-ups, lunges, tricep dips, lunges, leg raises, and step-up squats. Eventually I'll need to add weights somehow, but this is a solid start.

It's only been a few days but I'm already feeling results. The five-minute jump-start alone has helped realign my metabolism; I noticed that within a few meals. I'm still eating pretty much intuitively, since I find that's in line with the "diet" anyway. But I feel 10x better and, incidentally, already look about 1.5x better.

So I'll be keeping this up. And am sharing in case this is relevant or helpful to anyone else.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby poolboy on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:33 pm

Despite a 99% plant-based diet (of a few years), aggressive bike commuting and running, I had a heart attack a little over 4 weeks ago. My LAD aka widow maker artery had gone from 70% clear to 100% obstructed thanks to ruptured plaque.
My ER timing was essential, I got hustled through the motions and came out on the other end with a stent and feeling completely normal right after the procedure.

Prior to the incident, I had a healthy appetite for beer, potato chips and the french fries option whenever there was one available. Not to forget the few weeks a year of 5-10 daily cigarettes during family vacations in Europe or stressful work periods. While my weight wasn't out of control or anything (<190 lbs. at 5'9"), I could have stood losing a few pounds.
Like I said, beer, chips etc.. And also the occasional Big Gulp in the summer.

With a cholesterol level of 190 despite the absence of any animal products, and not being a fan of taking 5 medications for the rest of my life, I started reading.
My father-in-law recently gave me a copy of Esselstyn's "Reversing Heart Disease", and I've also been reading up on Dr. Greger's stuff etc.

At the moment I'm eating a lot of whole wheat (shredded wheat for breakfast, breads, homemade pizza), a couple pieces of fruit a day, lots of vegetables etc., and drink 1 to 2 glasses of red wine instead of several beers.
Most to all of my meals and snacks don't contain any oils now. My wife is fully committed to cooking without oil as well, which has been a tremendous initial support.

I walked to and from trains during my bike-less weeks (I was just cleared to go full throttle again by foot and bike 2 days ago), and my first band practice on drums was last weekend.

I've also lost 3 pounds so far, not by "dieting", but just changed dietary habits, and I expect to lose a couple more in the coming weeks.
And I feel like I have just as much if not more energy.

Here's to reversing bad shit, not just maintaining.
poolboy
lardner
lardner

Postby mattw on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:33 am

Gained back all the weight I lost (40 lbs or so) and more. Nothing more disheartening and aggravating than that. I have been trying to get back on the wagon- walking for at least 30-45m 2x a week, gym time 4x a week (give or take), taking the dogs for a walk, chores around the house, etc. but damn is it hard to shed that rubber.

Anyone fucking hate scales? Digital or otherwise? One scale says X and another puts you at 10 pounds heavier. WTF.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby travis k on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:47 pm

If scales are making you feel bad , I would limit your use of them.
Eat well and exercise and it will come off. If you do insist on using the scale , make sure to use the same one at the same time of day.
travis k
took picture of naked guy

Postby mattw on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:57 am

travis k wrote:If scales are making you feel bad , I would limit your use of them.
Eat well and exercise and it will come off. If you do insist on using the scale , make sure to use the same one at the same time of day.

Very true. Thanks for the suggestion!
mattw

Postby Facundo on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:13 am

Being around 220lb in my adult life I gained 110lb in a year, three ago. 343lb now.

Dying is cheaper than surviving. Although the coffin has to be tailor-made I want to suffer here, and also stop suffering, but priority is avoiding the coffin.

I had generalized "dropsy" or edema and I began taking furosemide and potasium five days ago by medical prescription. The first day the scale revealed I lost thee lbs of water. The kidneys hurt and I walk with difficulty since the sunday. I have not taken the diuretic for two days. the pain is hard but not as great as that described by people with Kidney stone disease. Chair is killing me.

Bed now.
pigs in the truck looking for landscapes, muds to romp in, sticking neck out from the jails, clogging the road on first bridge. dancing the head for a dream, a guarrería or panorama, jam in both directions, ham right to only one
Facundo
deep blue
deep blue

Postby Justin Foley on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:57 am

Facundo wrote:Being around 220lb in my adult life I gained 110lb in a year, three ago. 343lb now.

Dying is cheaper than surviving. Although the coffin has to be tailor-made I want to suffer here, and also stop suffering, but priority is avoiding the coffin.

I had generalized "dropsy" or edema and I began taking furosemide and potasium five days ago by medical prescription. The first day the scale revealed I lost thee lbs of water. The kidneys hurt and I walk with difficulty since the sunday. I have not taken the diuretic for two days. the pain is hard but not as great as that described by people with Kidney stone disease. Chair is killing me.

Bed now.

Sounds like you're pushing through a bad spot. I wish the best for you and hope that you start finding the light at the end of the tunnel.

= Justin
Justin Foley
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby n.c. on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:26 am

oh holy christ people. eat more plants. because i love you, eat more plants. whatever else you do, eat more plants. organic or not, eat more plants. low to no oil. healthy fats come in whole foods. dark green leafy vegetables every goddamn day.

i watch this thread and i bite my tongue because i know my approach is on the fringe here (though at the forefront of all modern nutritional science). but you're breaking my heart lately.

kill the messenger if you must. if you think you have better science, bring it. i am always interested in hearing opposing viewpoints (though usually linked to industry sponsored studies). but please eat more plants.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-not-to-die/
n.c.
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby mattw on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:50 am

n.c. wrote:oh holy christ people. eat more plants. because i love you, eat more plants. whatever else you do, eat more plants. organic or not, eat more plants. low to no oil. healthy fats come in whole foods. dark green leafy vegetables every goddamn day.

i watch this thread and i bite my tongue because i know my approach is on the fringe here (though at the forefront of all modern nutritional science). but you're breaking my heart lately.

kill the messenger if you must. if you think you have better science, bring it. i am always interested in hearing opposing viewpoints (though usually linked to industry sponsored studies). but please eat more plants.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-not-to-die/

I hear ya- believe me, I hear ya. But I also think it's more about balance and not overdoing it. When I was dieting, I really did hate (almost) every minute of restricting my diet to salads, fruit, nuts, etc. Been there, done that.

I know of a vegan who had a heart attack. And this was a person that was vegan this, vegan that, holier-than-thou as shit. Husband also ran/runs a vegan restaurant. Perfectly healthy/active people can get sick and die. I'm not saying put truckloads of poison into your body, but going to the other extreme is not healthy either. Fucking enjoy your life to some degree- it's too short to be avoiding stuff you like at all costs.
mattw

Postby n.c. on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:19 pm

you must have misread my post.
n.c.

Postby travis k on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:52 pm

Is impossible to overdo a vegan diet.
No one will ever tell you that your extreme vegetable intake is jeopardizing your health.
That guy with the heart attack probably had a congenital defect.
His vegan diet was even more important if that was the case.
I could probably go vegan if it weren't for pork. My kryptonite.
travis k

Postby Madman Munt on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:14 pm

travis k wrote:Is impossible to overdo a vegan diet.

No, but it sure is possible to do it wrong.

travis k wrote:No one will ever tell you that your extreme vegetable intake is jeopardizing your health.

I knew a girl whose doctor told her that if she didn't eat some meat she could die, she was that sick on a (bad) vegan diet. Now I'm sure that she could have sorted the problem out with a proper, carefully planned, vegan diet, but that was obviously beyond her at that point and she needed a quick fix to get her body functioning again.

You have to be careful when you cut out a food group that you don't end up deficient in something. Every book on sports nutrition I've read has a chapter for vegetarians and vegans for this reason.

mattw wrote:When I was dieting, I really did hate (almost) every minute of restricting my diet to salads, fruit, nuts, etc.

Yeah, this is never going to work. You have to love what you eat. I don't think you have to deprive yourself either, I see no reason why a healthy diet can't be totally satisfying. I'd go so far to say that there is something very wrong with a diet that makes you miserable.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby n.c. on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:56 pm

anecdotals are weak arguments.

all nutrients come from the earth or the sun. vitamin d from the sun, vitamins and minerals from the earth which we get from the plants that grow in the earth. the idea that using animals as middle men can somehow improve on these nutrients is ludicrous, and easily disproven given that we don't have a healthcare crisis because people aren't eating enough animal stuff, quite the opposite in fact.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/news/2017111 ... -veggies#1

a reasonable dose of vitamin b12 is a good idea regardless of what you eat. likewise, about 2000 iu of vitamin d at least most of the year unless you live on the equator. other than that, eat plants. lots of them. literally as many as you can eat, prioritizing dark green leafy vegetables.

meat doesn't taste good. plants do. pepper is a plant. garlic and onion are plants, fennel, marjoram, and crushed red pepper are plants.

just please eat more plants.
n.c.

Postby Madman Munt on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:05 pm

n.c. wrote:you must have misread my post.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby n.c. on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:04 pm

Madman Munt wrote:
n.c. wrote:you must have misread my post.

fair enough :)
n.c.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion