home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

UK Politics: Andy Coulson Phone-Hacking Affair

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: UK Politics: Andy Coulson Phone-Hacking Affair

Postby Darryl pt.III on Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:37 pm

Anonymous internet usage was cool while it lasted, I'll be sad to see it go.
Don't give up yet! You haven't tried everything.
Darryl pt.III
grover
grover

Postby bishopdante on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:37 pm

Who are K®ºLL. That's what you need to know. Excuse my munging, but if you know what 0n†rack is, you'll get why.

And then it's time for :shock:
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Cranius on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:03 am

hip priest wrote:The hacking's getting serious. They're into NI big time, giving out passwords and shit

Lulzsec: "We have owned Sun/News of the World - that story is simply phase 1 - expect the lulz to flow in coming days."

and: "Arrest us. We dare you. We are the unstoppable hacking generation and you are a wasted old sack of shit, Murdoch. ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER!"

The LulzSec hacking collective hacked the tabloid's site, and also claimed to be "sitting on their [the Sun's] emails" and that they would release the emails on Tuesday. They tweeted what they claimed was Rebekah Brooks's email address, and said they knew her password combination.

LulzSec are going up in my estimation. NI can hardly complain about being hacked.
Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby dontfeartheringo on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:18 am

Not monkeys with hatchets, but fuck it, I'll take it. Damn close.
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby simmo on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:36 am

I've been thinking about it and the idea that NI and/or the government might have been directly involved in Sean Hoare's death just doesn't strike me as plausible.

This isn't because I don't believe this government or this corporation capable of having someone killed - quite the opposite - but simply because it would make absolutely no sense to do such a thing. It's just adding fuel to the fire, increasing speculation, keeping the news on the front page. The only possible way it would make sense would be if Hoare had the power to reveal some thing(s) so damaging that it'd be better to have him dead and people coming up with conspiracy theories about it than to let him speak.

However, indirect responsibility - hounding and threatening a man until he's driven to suicide - that seems pretty damn plausible.
simmo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Rotten Tanx on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:26 am

simmo wrote:
However, indirect responsibility - hounding and threatening a man until he's driven to suicide - that seems pretty damn plausible.

That's what I was thinking. The manner of his death may not be suspicious but the fact that he died this week certainly is. It's entirely feasible that he was intimidated or threatened (eg. "If you give evidence against us we have evidence that will send you down too") resulting in an already sick man succumbing to stress or hitting the bottle harder than usual.

Police should at least examine his incoming calls from the last fortnight.
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Cranius on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:34 am

dontfeartheringo wrote:Not monkeys with hatchets, but fuck it, I'll take it. Damn close.

Rule nothing out. I guarantee this will get a lot weirder before the end.

Rotten Tanx wrote:
simmo wrote:However, indirect responsibility - hounding and threatening a man until he's driven to suicide - that seems pretty damn plausible.

That's what I was thinking. The manner of his death may not be suspicious but the fact that he died this week certainly is. It's entirely feasible that he was intimidated or threatened (eg. "If you give evidence against us we have evidence that will send you down too") resulting in an already sick man succumbing to stress or hitting the bottle harder than usual.

In the Nick Davies piece on Hoare he recounts how Hoare was man who's health was ruined by working for NotW. Describing the relentless pressure from his editors, he said that working for the paper was like being trapped in a 'machine'. His drink and drug abuse was encouraged by his bosses, and convenient when it came time to sack him. Poor guy.

I wonder if anyone has drawn up a list of suicides as a result of NotW or Murdoch press stories. I can think of a fair few.
Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby simmo on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:38 am

Some rambling QC called sir Geoffrey Wigglesbottom or some such name just mentioned two Murdochcides I was unaware of: a girl whose diary of promiscuous secrets was published in one of his newspapers, and a 15 year old Top Of The Pops dancer? Both sounded like they date back a good 30 years...
simmo

Postby Cranius on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:47 am

Paul McMullan is on TV claiming to be a whistleblower now. FFS. He's like a caricature of an alcohol-soaked hack. Someone put him out of his misery. Please stop him from talking, he's an utter gobshite. He'll clearly just say anything that pops into his head. He contradicts himself every other sentence.
Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Heeby Jeeby on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:04 am

They hounded the guy who used to play Mark Fowler on Eastenders until he topped himself too.

Wikipedia wrote:The News of the World discovered that Scarboro was in a psychiatric unit, and published photographs of the place. Scarboro subsequently left the unit because he could no longer get adequate treatment, and inaccurate stories about his condition were being published.

He committed suicide in 1988 by throwing himself from Beachy Head.

I see one of the bookie chains has slashed the odds of Cameron resigning to 8/1. A fool and his money and all that. Cameron's rocking a bit but I still wouldn't take it at 50/1.

Weirdly, an Irish Taoiseach (PM) was brought down in a scandal that is kinda a mirror image of this one i.e. politicians tapping journalists' phones.
Heeby Jeeby
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Rotten Tanx on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:12 am

simmo wrote:Some rambling QC called sir Geoffrey Wigglesbottom or some such name just mentioned two Murdochcides I was unaware of: a girl whose diary of promiscuous secrets was published in one of his newspapers, and a 15 year old Top Of The Pops dancer? Both sounded like they date back a good 30 years...

And Denholm Elliot's daughter who McMullan admitted to driving to suicide with his exposé (after bribing police) and the following week capitalising on her death for a follow up story.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of that in the last two weeks.

Eggnog?
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Cranius on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:12 am

Who's ready to play Murdoch select committee bingo? Eyes down:

Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby simmo on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:13 am

Murdoch's rise to power took off in Sydney in 1964, when he acquired an afternoon tabloid, the Daily Mirror. On March 12, the Mirror front paged a report on "promiscuity" among the pupils of a city high school, which was based on the contents of a young girl's diary. The resulting uproar led to the diarist and a fellow student being expelled from school. A job well done.

That's where the story ended as far the Mirror was concerned, though not for those involved. The 13 year old schoolboy named in the diary, Digby Bamford, was found hanging from his backyard clothesline, having committed suicide. This news was "cordoned off" from public consumption. Even rival papers kept the secret, until a disgruntled Murdoch journalist tipped off an independent magazine. The author of the "school sex" diary was examined by a doctor from the Child Welfare Department and found to be a virgin. During an interview years later, I reminded Murdoch of this event and his reaction was sharp: "Don't you ever make mistakes?" Of course I do. Many. After acquiring the News of the World in London in 1971, Rupert discovered another diary, while he was campaigning against a popular BBC TV show, Top of the Pops. His paper accused its stars of "promiscuity" with young dancers in the audience. One of these was Samantha MacAlpine, aged 15, whose "leatherette bound book", according Murdoch's news desk, "could well blow wide open the scandal at the BBC". The day after this report, Samantha MacAlpine committed suicide.

The News of the World tried to cover itself with the headline, THIS GIRL WAS A VICTIM NOW SHE IS DEAD, but the coroner stated that Samantha's diary was "pure fantasy. unconnected with reality", (like much Murdoch journalism). A Scotland Yard officer accused the paper of being "ludicrous and irresponsible". As is the Murdoch style, the evidence from the inquest was kept from the readers. Also suppressed was the statement of the forensic pathologist, that in his opinion, Samantha had died a virgin

http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/oldsite ... sp?ID=5082
simmo

Postby Dudley on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:19 am

Cranius wrote:Paul McMullan is on TV claiming to be a whistleblower now. FFS. He's like a caricature of an alcohol-soaked hack. Someone put him out of his misery. Please stop him from talking, he's an utter gobshite. He'll clearly just say anything that pops into his head. He contradicts himself every other sentence.

When I saw the headlines about Sean Hoare, I presumed it was McMullan who'd died. When he was on Newsnight (last week? week before?) he looked so anxious, shifty and unwell, weirdly like Rob Newman if he'd been drinking and doing chop for 10 days straight, that I instantly thought he looked like a man close to the end.

That aside, in that appearance I haven't seen someone offer up such a load of shit and expect to get away with since I was at school. He seemed to have lost all his bearings, and was just spinning and twisting things not to achieve some consistency or cover his own or anyone else's arse, but because he was lost and panicking and it's the only thing he knew how to do. He came across as a rare example of a wholly broken man. Obviously, that's my interpretation based on tiny glimpses, and he's probably healthy and happy and so on, but I've never seen anything quite like it before. Apart from interviews with convicted murderers, maybe.

Whatever the cause of Hoare's death, if you factor the state the McMullan's in, I'd say we can all safely agree that working for NI for any length of time looks like it's very very bad for you.
Anthony Flack wrote:At the end of the day it's everybody's appreciation of cement that is the winner.
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Rotten Tanx on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:34 am

McMullan was on 10 O'Clock Live about six months ago and he was the same then. Half man/half rat. Belligerently trying to defend hacking with no rational argument whatsoever.
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Rotten Tanx on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:52 am

I'm not watching the hearings (got work tonight, I should be asleep but I'm hooked) but apparently Stephenson just accidentally referred to himself as the Prime Minister.
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Cranius on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:57 am

The committee were very gentle with Sir John Stevenson, who appears to be the least inquisitive policeman ever. However:

Jonathan Freedland on Twitter: [...] committee extracts a killer fact: 10 out of 45 press officers at the Met have worked for NI

It's looking like John Yates might get shafted. A lot rests on what he says.
Cranius
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Heeby Jeeby on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:00 am

You all watching Murdoch's testimony?? Incredible stuff.

Question

(10 second pause)

One-word answer.

Repeat ad nauseum.
Heeby Jeeby
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Big John on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:10 am

Just to mention this but in the US on Fox News (owned by Newscorp) this scandal is being presented as part of the Hacking epidemic including Anonomious and the recient sony and pentagon hackings.

It is being implyed by omission that Newscorp was hacked and was not hacking individuals.
Big John

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:15 am

Big John wrote:Just to mention this but in the US on Fox News (owned by Newscorp) this scandal is being presented as part of the Hacking epidemic including Anonomious and the recient sony and pentagon hackings.

It is being implyed by omission that Newscorp was hacked and was not hacking individuals.

Murdoch's businesses are pretty much required to shill for his other business interests in any way possible. The Wall Street Journal recently got excoriated for publishing an interview with Murdoch that was downright deferential.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion