home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Louisville Thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

The Louisville Thread

Postby DudeGuyBroMan on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:08 pm

Searched around for a general Louisville thread and couldn't find one. There is so much growth and awesome things happening here all the time, both music and culture-wise, that I felt it needed its own thread. Bands outside "the ville" that want to book shows here can use this thread. Or, if you are on vacation or road trip and need to know hot spots or need a place to stay-use this thread.
DudeGuyBroMan
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Re: The Louisville Thread

Postby DudeGuyBroMan on Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:37 pm

An all star line up of Louisville rock bands are coming to Skull Alley this friday. These bands put a whole new meaning to the phrase "Keep Louisville Weird"

Zombie Chickens from Outer Space http://www.myspace.com/zcfos

Bu Hao Ting http://www.myspace.com/buhaoting

Hi-Fi Ninja http://www.myspace.com/thehifininja

Karass http://www.myspace.com/karasstheband
Last edited by DudeGuyBroMan on Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DudeGuyBroMan
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:48 pm

Louisville sounds fun.

I should visit sometime.

Do they have pedicabs there? Maybe I could work.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby DudeGuyBroMan on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:48 pm

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:Louisville sounds fun.

I should visit sometime.

You should come visit. I'll put you up. I have only seen like 2 pedicabs in the city. Start a branch of your own down here. We are hyper bike friendly.
DudeGuyBroMan
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby SpaceCadet on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Louisville is the city I really want to go to, definitely next time there's a Coliseum show. What should I hit up for food there?
SpaceCadet
piece of shit
piece of shit

Postby DudeGuyBroMan on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:25 pm

SpaceCadet wrote:Louisville is the city I really want to go to, definitely next time there's a Coliseum show. What should I hit up for food there?

That would be awesome! As far as food goes...good lord where do I begin? I think it would be easier if you told me what styles of food you like first. I like Thai food and Simply Thai is by far the best in town. We have TONS of great Indian, Greek, sushi, pizza and burger places.
DudeGuyBroMan
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:06 pm

DudeGuyBroMan wrote:
The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:Louisville sounds fun.

I should visit sometime.

You should come visit. I'll put you up. I have only seen like 2 pedicabs in the city. Start a branch of your own down here. We are hyper bike friendly.

Maybe I'll go indie, when I'm done with school.

Not that this is related, but there is a chance I might be working in New Orleans this winter, even though the NO class Columbia was offering got cancelled.

Still, yeah, that's not a bad idea, especially if there are only a few people doing it.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby John W. on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:10 pm

DudeGuyBroMan wrote:
SpaceCadet wrote:Louisville is the city I really want to go to, definitely next time there's a Coliseum show. What should I hit up for food there?

That would be awesome! As far as food goes...good lord where do I begin? I think it would be easier if you told me what styles of food you like first. I like Thai food and Simply Thai is by far the best in town. We have TONS of great Indian, Greek, sushi, pizza and burger places.

Thai Smile 5 on Preston is pretty good, too!
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby iembalm on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:18 pm

My wife's family is from the Skylight/Goshen area, and her mother now lives in the Louisville. Next year I've promised to save my vacation time and come out when she and our son make their annual visit. We were pretty close to pulling the trigger on a move to Oldham County a few years ago, and the research I did then made it seem pretty appealing. In the end we didn't go because Kentucky required funeral service licencees to have a four-year degree, and that's just not realistic at this point in the journey.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby DudeGuyBroMan on Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:04 pm

John W. wrote:
DudeGuyBroMan wrote:

Thai Smile 5 on Preston is pretty good, too!

Agreed! Very good pad thai. I just passed it today on my way to 25% off day at Unique thrift store. I got some awesome snap button western shirts for cheap!
DudeGuyBroMan
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby DudeGuyBroMan on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:57 pm

CRIBS - Slint Edition:

http://thedecibeltolls.com/the-house-th ... t-perhaps/

I drove past this house everyday on my way go wash dishes at the Dundee Tavern in the Douglass Loop. Never knew...
DudeGuyBroMan
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby tallchris on Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:26 am

I really want to come out and do some distillery tours sometime.

My old band played a terrible, terrible show in Louisville back in 2005. The sound guy almost got in a fight with the lead singer of the awful, awful local punk band we played with when they dropped the SM58 they borrowed from us.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby John W. on Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:35 am

DudeGuyBroMan wrote:CRIBS - Slint Edition:

http://thedecibeltolls.com/the-house-th ... t-perhaps/

I drove past this house everyday on my way go wash dishes at the Dundee Tavern in the Douglass Loop. Never knew...

Very nice link, thanks - and holy crap! That's like, a really expensive house now, right?
John W.

Postby DudeGuyBroMan on Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:30 pm

tallchris wrote:I really want to come out and do some distillery tours sometime.

My old band played a terrible, terrible show in Louisville back in 2005. The sound guy almost got in a fight with the lead singer of the awful, awful local punk band we played with when they dropped the SM58 they borrowed from us.

Do you remember where you played dude? We got a lot better venues now. Magnolia Bar is going to be the place to play from now on.
DudeGuyBroMan
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby tallchris on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:46 pm

DudeGuyBroMan wrote:
tallchris wrote:I really want to come out and do some distillery tours sometime.

Do you remember where you played dude? We got a lot better venues now. Magnolia Bar is going to be the place to play from now on.

Just found an old post I wrote about this show:

tallchris wrote:We ended up playing with a terrible punk band. The singer was wasted AND had a speech impediment, and criticized us because he couldn't say our name right. Between every song, he ranted about how we wasn't a faggot like everyone else there (all five people). Then he dropped the SM58 he was borrowing from us, putting a dent in the grill. THEN the sound guy threatened to beat him up.

It looks like the other band was called .50 Caliber and the venue was a place called Woody's. I also vaguely remember getting hit on by an older dude pretty much the moment we walked in to the venue.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris

Postby DudeGuyBroMan on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:17 am

tallchris wrote:
DudeGuyBroMan wrote:

Just found an old post I wrote about this show:

tallchris wrote:We ended up playing with a terrible punk band. The singer was wasted AND had a speech impediment, and criticized us because he couldn't say our name right. Between every song, he ranted about how we wasn't a faggot like everyone else there (all five people). Then he dropped the SM58 he was borrowing from us, putting a dent in the grill. THEN the sound guy threatened to beat him up.

It looks like the other band was called .50 Caliber and the venue was a place called Woody's. I also vaguely remember getting hit on by an older dude pretty much the moment we walked in to the venue.

That's hysterical! I currently live about 2 blocks away from the ghost of Woody's past. I say ghost because, thankfully, Woody's is no more. I got shut for being a notoriously unwelcoming gay bar and it didn't make things better when the owner called a group of black girls niggers and kicked them out. We will very soon have a couple of promising new music venues shortly. One of them being the Mag Bar (oddly enough down the street from Woody's). The space where Woody's was is cursed. Every bar that trys to start up there shuts down within 6-9 months. Now it's some sportz ball bar called Rick's Tavern :smt012.
DudeGuyBroMan
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby DudeGuyBroMan on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:21 am

A New Years Bashing hosted by also alcohol soaked Trophy Wives and Zombie Chickens from Outer Space.

There will be a champagne toast, decorations, stiff drinks, kisses and, of course, brutal tunes!

Cahoots
Dec 31st
10pm
$3 (The cheapest/most awesome thing happening in Louisville for New Years)
DudeGuyBroMan
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby DudeGuyBroMan on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:09 am

DudeGuyBroMan
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby John W. on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:28 pm

Here's a great Louisville gem:

Cox Smokers Outlet on Manslick Rd.
John W.

Postby DudeGuyBroMan on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:50 am

Started a bandcamp site to showcase Louisville's ever growing underground music scene.

Visit it at Derby City Underground

New tracks up by Shane Simms, Vaderbomb, and members of Sapat and Trophy Wives
DudeGuyBroMan
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Next

Return to General Discussion