home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Want your music on a Baseball Prospectus podcast?

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Want your music on a Baseball Prospectus podcast?

Postby Trey on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:29 am

yay! we're gonna be on this!
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby petercobber on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:20 am

My Canadian Girlfriend was featured on episode 36 last week! It was a blast to hear the music on the show, and it is a really good podcast - fun, informative, relaxed. Our song was about a baseball player named Len Koenecke, who is famous for the wrong reasons. Below is the blurb from the podcast site. Thanks to Kevin and his crew for the opportunity and the kind words. Thanks to Carl for the heads-up. Salut!

Jason and Kevin return with another gab-fest, including plenty of prospect talent, a Caribbean Series preview, and interview with the producer and director of the independent film Cold Weather, and so much more.

After plenty of great emails, Jason Parks and Kevin Goldstein talk about the Damon/Ramirez combo in Tampa Bay, and then wonder why all team owners in Dallas have to be insane. Then it's plenty of prospect talk with the Red Sox, Padres, and Rangers getting our attention. From there, we're joined by Carlos Lugo of ESPN Deportes to preview this week's Caribbean Series. Then, it's time for a special Pop Culture Moment, as we are joined by Brendan McFadden (producer) and Aaron Katz (director) of the independent film Cold Weather that is opening in New York this week, and is available On Demand beginning February 9. Jason and I liked this movie, and think you will too. Of course, we end up with the goofy stuff, including a wrap-up of what was a truly gratifying night in New York with our listeners. Our musical guest is My Canadian Girlfriend, and you should stay to whole time with us, as the final song in its entirety is about the life and death of Len Koenecke.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/blog/podcast/
The band is My Canadian Girlfriend ("MCG") http://www.mycanadiangirlfriend.bandcamp.com
New 6 song record, Shogun, is here for you now.
petercobber
chimp
chimp

Postby Carl on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:54 pm

I'm glad so many PRF bands are getting in on this action. Selfishly, it allows me to hear baseball talk with good music, and I know Kevin's audience is made up of a lot of people who would otherwise never hear these recordings.

I tend to download these podcasts to listen to when I fly, as they pass the time in airports nicely. Every good band that gets on the podcast is taking time I might otherwise be subjected to CNN or Fox News's gate news editions. I can't thank you enough.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Carl on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:03 am

Phantom Works on this week's podcast. (Also, my fellow UCSC alumnus Lincoln Mitchell discusses the post-Soviet states and the current changes in the Middle East.)
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl

Postby Carl on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:11 am

Trey wrote:yay! we're gonna be on this!

And indeed, The Gary is on this week's podcast. Therefore, a few suspects likely heard their music while transported in a police car to the station. (Listen to the first half hour for an explanation of that comment.)
Carl

Postby Carl on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:56 am

IfIHadAHiFi on the most recent podcast.
Carl

Postby DrAwkward on Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:16 pm

Carl wrote:IfIHadAHiFi on the most recent podcast.

Big big thanks, Baseball Prospectus folk!
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Uecker on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:43 pm

this is too cool. love BP & have been entertained by this forum a long time. what a perfect merger of awesomeness. congrats to those who have made the BP podcast... gotta finally get on this & email appropriate linkage. we're also playing in dekalb soon-
Uecker
madame ooglepuss
madame ooglepuss

Postby Uecker on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:10 am

so we were on episode #42 of Up And In.
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=13319
thanks to kevin goldstein; we're big fans of these BP podcasts. steve was interviewed recently... i want to say in #37? entertaining & thoughtful & funny as always...
Uecker
madame ooglepuss
madame ooglepuss

Postby Carl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Been busy and failed to mention that two of the past three podcasts have featured The Customary Silence and Shellac's Excellent Italian Greyhound record.

If anyone's sick of me bumping this thread, I'll stop, but I just enjoy the combination of baseball talk and PRF music. It's as close to an audio version of Chin Music as I can find.
Carl

Postby Gantry on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:33 pm

Keep bumping, please...
Gantry
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Carl on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:00 pm

I haven't heard this week's episode yet, but Cartographer is the featured band.
Carl

Postby KGUpAndIn on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:09 pm

Yes, please keep bumping.

We certainly need more bands. The good folks at Bloodshot and Don Giovanni records are helping out (and Matador is run by idiots), but basically, if you say you are from the EA forum, you move up in the pecking order and we just heard from a band today (WAXEATER) that we're adding to the list.

To re-iterate, your music doesn't have to have anything to do with baseball, we're not those kind of people, we do baseball, indie rock, indie film, and talk about the effect of 4 Loko, so all are invited. I don't even care if you totally hate baseball as long as you have good music, have mp3s to share, and want a few thousand folks to hear it.

Just email me if you want to have your music on the show: kgoldstein[at]baseballprospectus.com.

Thanks everyone and thanks to Carl for getting this ball rolling, it's made the show way cooler.
KGUpAndIn
fan
fan

Postby sayer_june on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:12 pm

KGUpAndIn wrote:Yes, please keep bumping.

We certainly need more bands. The good folks at Bloodshot and Don Giovanni records are helping out (and Matador is run by idiots), but basically, if you say you are from the EA forum, you move up in the pecking order and we just heard from a band today (WAXEATER) that we're adding to the list.

To re-iterate, your music doesn't have to have anything to do with baseball, we're not those kind of people, we do baseball, indie rock, indie film, and talk about the effect of 4 Loko, so all are invited. I don't even care if you totally hate baseball as long as you have good music, have mp3s to share, and want a few thousand folks to hear it.

Just email me if you want to have your music on the show: kgoldstein[at]baseballprospectus.com.

Thanks everyone and thanks to Carl for getting this ball rolling, it's made the show way cooler.

huge +1 to this! kevin was super nice about it all and as a huge fucking baseball fan (go dads!) i was stoked to be involved. also, thousands?
WAXEATER guitarist/shouter
latestflame.com
sayer_june
assclown
assclown

Postby Carl on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:22 pm

sayer_june wrote:kevin was super nice about it all and as a huge fucking baseball fan (go dads!) i was stoked to be involved. also, thousands?

It's a pretty popular podcast, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to alert bands to participate. Good exposure for you guys, and more entertaining for me as a listener. If Kevin's happy, that's a win-win-win. Thanks to all.
Carl

Postby KGUpAndIn on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:19 pm

Thousands. We had about 15,000 episodes downloaded in March alone. It's often the No. 1 baseball podcast on iTunes, and more importantly, it's often the No. 1 sports podcast with an explicit tag.
KGUpAndIn
fan
fan

Postby Carl on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:03 am

Waxeater on this week's episode.
Carl

Postby Carl on Wed May 04, 2011 7:07 pm

Back when I did a show on WRCT, Bloodshot Records was one of the labels I most enjoyed dealing with as the label released a lot of music (by the likes of Robbie Fulks, the Waco Brothers, Kelly Hogan, and Neko Case) I wanted to play.

Happily, Bloodshot is cool with Kevin using its catalog on the podcast, so this week's show features Chicago's greatest living Welshman Jon Langford amid talk of the Indians' hot start, prospects, a listener's life working in the FBI, and Kevin's mother. Given how utterly horrific the White Sox have been, this show is most of the enjoyment I'm getting out of baseball in 2011.
Carl

Postby vockins on Wed May 04, 2011 7:45 pm

working it out
vockins
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Carl on Thu May 12, 2011 10:26 am

Police Teeth on this week's podcast.
Carl

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion