home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

New York/Brooklyn Livin'

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: New York/Brooklyn Livin'

Postby skoz on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:28 pm

I think there are a lot of fucked up things happening in NY that are making the city a less interesting place to live. I'm a relatively new home owner who happens to be white living in a predominantly black neighborhood in Brooklyn and maybe I am part of the "problem" but It's hard for me to take Spike Lee's perspective seriously considering his house in the upper east side of Manhattan is for sale for 32 million.
skoz
huey newton
huey newton

Postby sbartolomei on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:06 pm

Hello NY members...Looking for a new apartment/neighborhood. Any leads on an "affordable" 1 or 1.5 bedroom in Manhattan or BK would be much appreciated! Open to any/all locations.

Currently my wife and I live in the East Village, but just can't take it anymore. You know the story... all the places with character are closing, NYU is taking over, and the luxury hotel next door has totally changed the dynamic of our corner. It seems like in the last year all this went into turbo mode. And of course, the rent is getting ridiculous

Would love to hear your leads, advice, building owners to call, anything.

thanks!
sbartolomei
sister
sister

Postby Carl on Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:13 pm

This could be crossposted to the Netflix thread, but we managed to see two of the nine billion things filmed around here last week. Fading Gigilo is no masterpiece, but the block of Clinton Hill that Turturro used to stand in for Williamsburg (and that I used to live near before it became unaffordable) looked nice.

Wyatt Cenac's Brooklyn standup special featured two quick shots of our street. One's a bar, the other is a mural of ODB.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Carl on Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:50 am

Tonight is the 50th and final NYE performance of the steam whistles at the Pratt Institute.
phpBB [media]

Music starts around 9, with the real racket hitting at midnight.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl

Postby Carl on Fri May 08, 2015 3:23 pm

Almost exactly two years after Arthur Wood was evicted from the Broken Angel, he's living with his son in Beacon. The NY Times quoted him in a story about the building's conversion into million-dollar condos.

Last month, the Salvation Army building across the street sold for $30 million and will no doubt become condos. Soon the block will look unrecognizable from its state in Dave Chappelle's Block Party.
Carl

Postby drcroc on Fri May 08, 2015 3:40 pm

sbartolomei wrote:You know the story... all the places with character are closing

Or they're just converting into touristy versions of their old self... Major renovations, character and history stripped out, new clientele, it's all over.. tharrrrrr she blows!!

I'm a native NY'er and thought some places were somewhat immune to this type of thing, they're not! In the past 3 years some of my favorite spots have disappeared or are on their way to disappearing. Although, trends come and go and I notice a lot of the people who move here are temporary in a sense. Once they find "the next best thing" even in New york, they move on.

As for Apt. searching, I have no idea what to do. You pay like 1800 for a studio (maybe 1650 if you're lucky) unless you want to live in the hood or outside of Manhattan, basically that's the deal from what I've seen online. I would call up some Real estate agents and see what they say. I dealt with a younger kid and he basically kept it real and was like "these are your options"
drcroc
carl sagan
carl sagan

Postby Boombats on Sun May 10, 2015 2:03 am

A good friend and good drummer living in Brooklyn (for med school) and is looking for a casual but interesting music situation. He has better taste in music than I do, is definitely a solid player and he's worth getting in touch with as long as you don't need someone to commit to more than a weekly practice, tour etc. until next year when school is done, at which point he well may move out of the city. But if you are trying to get something off the ground, or just want to make some noise for the fuck of it, check him out. PM me if you're curious and you're not a dildo.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Carl on Wed May 27, 2015 12:37 am

When you want to wait around for an hour for a train to never arrive, the MTA is at your service. Well, not at your service, but reliably unreliable.

Upon coming into JFK, took the AirTrain and waited at the Howard Beach stop for an hour with no announcement. Then thought to bail when three fire trucks came to the station. Naturally, as is usually the case, the MTA makes no announcements when its service is disrupted.
Carl

Postby Teacher's Pet on Wed May 27, 2015 7:00 am

AirTrain sucks. I usually opt for those $12 bus rides to midtown.
But I guess those probably aren't even $12 anymore.
Teacher's Pet
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Carl on Wed May 27, 2015 10:59 am

The beautiful thing about last night's interruption is it was apparently due to thieves stealing the electric third rail to sell as scrap copper.
Carl

Postby Big John on Wed May 27, 2015 11:06 am

I find the train to JFK better (when it is running) because there is always traffic taking the bus and several times I have missed flights due to being stopped in traffic once within site of my terminal.

The monorail train is above the traffic so you actually can get to your terminal pretty easily once you get to the airport. This service rivals some of the airports in great citys (airline hubs) of the world like Atlanta, Dallas or Newark. Though you have to have a bag with wheels or shoulder bags as the distance with escalators can be a but far though they have those futuristic people movers (when will they install them in the NYC sidewalks).

I am sure we can get something like this from port authority to the airports and finally get dependable service.

Big John
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Jodi S. on Thu May 28, 2015 6:32 pm

Carl wrote:The beautiful thing about last night's interruption is it was apparently due to thieves stealing the electric third rail to sell as scrap copper.

It wasn't the third rail (that's steel), but rather the copper cable that interconnects/powers the signals and switches along the right-of-way. It's heavy, and is sheathed in thick rubber that is not easy to cut through quickly (this is so it doesn't get damaged by the elements, since it's just lying there alongside the tracks). Some of these cables power the third rail as well.

The ballsy part of this theft is that it did not happen overnight. The amount of cable taken amounts to weeks, perhaps months of work by whomever stole it. It's also very dangerous (because DUH ELECTRICITY) so the perpetrators were probably people who knew exactly where to cut without

a) cutting power to the trains/signals right away, so they could continue taking the cables for a length of time

b) getting electrocuted

c) getting caught by the passing work trains/trains in regular service

Having walked the tracks out there earlier in the year, I can also say that if you don't know what you're doing, you could seriously hurt yourself or get caught in the crossovers. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the theft was carried out by someone who either works or used to work for the MTA, probably on a track gang or maybe even in the power division.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby Redline on Thu May 28, 2015 9:31 pm

I was paid tons of money to guard copper for the last 2 years. It is not confusing to me.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Carl on Sun May 31, 2015 11:50 pm

Copper's the choice stuff to steal when the international market is up. Back before the crash in 2008, I got interviewed by an Indianapolis reporter about scrap theft when thieves took the downspouts off her house.
Carl

Postby skoz on Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:24 am

Where would you get a really nice Nakamichi tape deck repaired in NY?
skoz
huey newton
huey newton

Postby Get dog costumes on Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:07 pm

skoz wrote:Where would you get a really nice Nakamichi tape deck repaired in NY?

Is it a Dragon?
Get dog costumes
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Big John on Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:52 pm

I use the hi fi / repair places in Chinatown, there are of course more expensive options. I think there is a place in Ft. Lee that used to be in NYC that was a Nac dealer and repair place but may not be any more.

Not surprisingly right now cassette decks are a bit off everyones radar. So I don't know if there are "licensed" repair shops.
Big John

Postby Teacher's Pet on Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:28 pm

Big John wrote:I use the hi fi / repair places in Chinatown

Which one(s)?

I've brought a few pieces here but never a tape deck. >>

http://www.newhitech.net

It's way east on Canal Street. Was OK.
Teacher's Pet
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby skoz on Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:03 pm

Get dog costumes wrote:
skoz wrote:Where would you get a really nice Nakamichi tape deck repaired in NY?

Is it a Dragon?

It's an rx-505
skoz
huey newton
huey newton

Postby Teacher's Pet on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:52 pm

It looks like we might need a tenant in our Greenpoint practice space.

One day a week. It's huge.

Please PM me if you're looking for a space.
Teacher's Pet
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion