home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Numero Store - Chicago - 4/16/2011

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

The Numero Store - Chicago - 4/16/2011

Postby Numero Group on Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Here's the official text on our "flash" store stocked 20,000+ LPs and 45s & radio station we are creating in Chicago on Saturday April 16th. Hope you can join us!

Sometimes, we still fantasize about opening the record store of our dreams. Perhaps it would be on an invisible island, accessible only with a magical keyword. Or maybe through a labyrinth lined with the mummified corpses of fallen, failed collectors. Or maybe just a normal shop-—but filled with sealed Boscoe LPs and untouched stock of Deep City 45s.

We’re stuck working with reality, and so our record store just needs to be the best of what’s possible. And here’s what we hate about most record stores: having to grind our way through piles of thumbed-through dross in the hopes that we might, god forbid, find something to add to our collection. But we mostly hate leaving empty-handed.

The solution: The Numero Store open only on Record Store Day 2011. Stocked with 20,000 clean, reasonably priced vinyl (mostly “used”), and an Eccentric Soul 45 release that is exclusive to this location and limited to 100 copies (that means you can’t but it anywhere else on earth unless some dickhead decides to sell his on eBay). So you’ll be able to walk home with at least one rare record.

You’ll be able to find every Numero title in print (and some that aren’t) and Pressed at Boddie, our other Numero Record Store Day exclusive release that is available at other independent record stores (on a much more limited basis). Pressed At Boddie comes housed in a gatefold sleeve with the most insane discography (compiled by Ohio soul expert Dante Carfagna), a full color 18x22” poster of labels, and a detailed history of the Boddie plant.

We’ll also have copies of our Record Store Day map, including the history of record stores in Chicago’s Wicker Park neighborhood going back to the 70s. In addition to the shops that are currently open, the map will include the locations and stories of every storefront that sold records—think old favorites like Beat Parlor, Wax Trax, and Championship Vinyl. Get records and an education.

In addition to our pop-up record store, we’re also doing a pop-up radio station. Perhaps “pirate” is a better word, but “low power” also works. Regardless, for a dozen or so hours that Saturday you’ll be able to turn to 89.9 FM within a five-mile radius of our shop and hear a variety of programming, including “The Eccentric Soul Hour,” “Cutty’s Cutting Room Floor Cuts,” and Mad Dog Sevier’s “Severe Morning Advisory.” We’ll also play vintage regional advertisements (“Funtown,” “Ember Furniture,” “Friendly Dodge”), air checks, bumpers, news, weather—and if things get really hot we’ll bust out the Browns/Raiders live broadcast from 1967.

The Numero Store opens at 9 a.m. on Saturday April 16, 2011, at 1371 N. Milwaukee Ave. and closes at 9 p.m., or when everything sells—whichever happens first.

If you’re looking for a place to spend Record Store Day 2011, may we suggest you do it with Numero?
Numero Group
comrade
comrade

Re: The Numero Store - Chicago - 4/16/2011

Postby Sowley on Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:57 pm

I'll say this--Rob Sevier as a Morning Zoo Radio DJ needs to happen.
Stephen Sowley
scsowley@gmail.com

"...When last year, I spent more money on spilled liquor in bars from one side of this world to the other, than you made."--Ric Flair
Sowley
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:33 pm

Nice.

I'll be out of town, but nice.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Braden on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:23 am

I'd just like to say that I have yet to buy a vinyl record from Numero that I regret.

Cheers!

P.S.

Allow vinyl subscriptions to Canada you big jerks...
Don't get chumpatized!
Braden
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Sowley on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:46 pm

Figured I'd share this here... nevermind the fact that Numero is doing a pop-up store full of what I expect to be awesome ass used vinyl from some serious flippers (seriously, what a unique approach to "record store day") but Big Dawg Rob Sevier gets Lethal on RSD's corporate ass.
Stephen Sowley
scsowley@gmail.com

"...When last year, I spent more money on spilled liquor in bars from one side of this world to the other, than you made."--Ric Flair
Sowley

Postby steve on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:27 pm

Man every couple months I wonder if I can somehow quit my job and go to work for Numero Group. They do all the cool shit.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby holmes on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:55 pm

steve wrote:Man every couple months I wonder if I can somehow quit my job and go to work for Numero Group. They do all the cool shit.

Steve, seriously - its as easy as 1-2-3.
Here comes another load of joy
holmes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby MinisterT on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:10 pm

Steve, our shipping clerk quit last week. Strike now while the iron is hot.

Tom Lunt
Minister Of Culture
The Numero Group
MinisterT

Postby turnbullac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:50 pm

MinisterT wrote:Steve, our shipping clerk quit last week. Strike now while the iron is hot.

Tom Lunt
Minister Of Culture
The Numero Group

I'll do it. I have experience.
turnbullac
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby tmidgett on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:28 pm

turnbullac wrote:
MinisterT wrote:Steve, our shipping clerk quit last week. Strike now while the iron is hot.

Tom Lunt
Minister Of Culture
The Numero Group

I'll do it. I have experience.

Yes me too.

Oh wait I have a job. Hrmph.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby steve on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Sowley, do I give notice to you or Greg?
steve albini
Electrical Audio
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Kate Rev on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:30 pm

Sowley wrote:Figured I'd share this here... nevermind the fact that Numero is doing a pop-up store full of what I expect to be awesome ass used vinyl from some serious flippers (seriously, what a unique approach to "record store day") but Big Dawg Rob Sevier gets Lethal on RSD's corporate ass.

Sevier wrote:RSD releases are like buying a mezuzah inscribed by a drunken sofer in shitty, illegible Hebrew. The symbol loses its meaning as it loses its function.

Saucy!
Kate Rev

Postby bfields on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:58 pm

Numero vinyl is just so sexy. I'm saving up my pennies for the mega 2LP / book "Light:On The South Side."

They have freakin' Israeli gospel funk! That's it. I'm dusting off the Sota and putting on some soul.
"I think I would like to go for a walk and cold clock a cupla 4th graders in the face. Why? Because they probably deserve it." -bumble
bfields
F = ma
F = ma

Postby Sowley on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Topping this because Numero Group just wrote up an awesome piece for the Wire about the Vinyl bubble.
Stephen Sowley
scsowley@gmail.com

Sowley

Postby landspeednyc on Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:46 pm

So, the Brooklyn pop-up is happening now, a block from my apartment. Since I know almost nothing about the crates in which they dig (beyond unwound, dinosaur, codeine, shoes, etc), any advice for a few "'Label-defining" sets to pick up?

Six days later we’ll be setting up a Numero mega mart in Brooklyn’s Greenpoint neighborhood at Human Gallery. We’ll be taking over all 700 square feet of the space for the entire weekend of April 25th-27th, stocking the place with thousands of LPs, 45s, and CDs that we found tucked away in a warehouse on Long Island. Our very own Rob Sevier and Ken Shipley will DJ intermittently throughout the day. We’ll also be bringing tons of deleted items and damaged stock, selling it all at blow out prices. Wholesalers welcomed. Everything there will be priced to move. We have no interest in trucking it back to Chicago. Please help:

April 25th-27th

110 Meserole Ave. Brooklyn, NY

Noon to 8PM daily (or until we run out of stock)

In addition to our wide array of high quality records from Numero, Cali-Tex, JR, Asterisk, and Numerophon, we’ll be selling these fine items that we made specifically for Record Store Day
Last edited by landspeednyc on Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
landspeednyc
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby Jodi S. on Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:49 pm

Buy whatever you can that looks remotely interesting. Remember when you were younger, and bought records because you liked the cover? Do that with Numero stuff. You can't go wrong. They're one of maybe three or four labels I feel confident doing that with.

I'd be there spending my tuition money if I weren't housebound.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby steve on Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:26 pm

landspeednyc wrote:So, the Brooklyn pop-up is happening now, a block from my apartment. Since I know almost nothing about the crates in which they dig (beyond unwound, dinosaur, codeine, shoes, etc), any advice for a few "'Label-defining" sets to pick up?

Really like the Lights on the South Side book and record set. Sowley had an awesome Wizard Rock collection I don't remember the name of.

Basically can't go wrong though.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby LBx on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:49 pm

Kate Rev wrote:
Sowley wrote:Figured I'd share this here... nevermind the fact that Numero is doing a pop-up store full of what I expect to be awesome ass used vinyl from some serious flippers (seriously, what a unique approach to "record store day") but Big Dawg Rob Sevier gets Lethal on RSD's corporate ass.

Sevier wrote:RSD releases are like buying a mezuzah inscribed by a drunken sofer in shitty, illegible Hebrew. The symbol loses its meaning as it loses its function.

Saucy!

Truth.
LBx

Postby landspeednyc on Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:16 pm

Jodi S. wrote:Buy whatever you can that looks remotely interesting. Remember when you were younger, and bought records because you liked the cover? Do that with Numero stuff....

steve wrote: Really like the Lights on the South Side book and record set. Sowley had an awesome Wizard Rock collection I don't remember the name of.
Basically can't go wrong though.

Thanks for the recommendations- tried to mix it up: did go for Lights on the South Side, along with MICHIGAN MELTDOWN Volume 2, the Codeine box, the BUTTONS Starter Kit (power pop), CIRCUIT RIDER ("This is the ultimate burnout biker-psych masterpiece. Finally repressed directly from tapes to flawlessly restore the cigarette burns, Harley fumes, and cocaine hangovers of the original ride, Circuit Rider is a 40-minute recipe for mental breakdown') and Caroline Peyton's "Mock Up." Unfortunately, they were out of the Minneapolis comp, Medusa, and Warfaring Strangers: Darkscorch Canticles (along with a few other things I had my eye on) by the time I went back this afternoon.

There's always "next time," since it looks like the Brooklyn weekend was enough of a success to make the NY pop-up an annual event.

With the Numero pop-up this weekend and RSD last weekend in addition to my "normal" music buying, I have hours and hours of listening ahead of me.
landspeednyc
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby landspeednyc on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:31 pm

Tom Lunt
Minister Of Culture
The Numero Group

Also- they're hiring again:
The Numero Group is seeking a full-time Mailorder Person for our Chicago, Illinois, office.
http://numerogroup.wordpress.com/2014/04/22/now-hiring/
landspeednyc
julia roberts
julia roberts

Next

Return to General Discussion