home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Streaming Netflix - what's good lately?

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Streaming Netflix - what's good lately?

Postby scoopneck on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:21 pm

uglysound wrote:Has anyone checked out Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime? Just found out it existed.

Really wanted to like ED, but something was missing from just about every episode. It just didn't have the expected dystopian knockout punch of a show like Black Mirror.
scoopneck
carlin
carlin

Postby weezy on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:25 pm

uglysound wrote:Has anyone checked out Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime? Just found out it existed.

We only watched the first one and I thought it was trying too hard to be like Black Mirror, as mentioned above. Black Mirror can be hit or miss too.

I thought Ozark was going to be cheesy as fuck because I think Jason Bateman is cheesy as fuck, but 2 episodes in, it's pretty decent.
weezy
inman jackson
inman jackson

Postby lumpenprole on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:22 pm

scoopneck wrote:

Really wanted to like ED, but something was missing from just about every episode. It just didn't have the expected dystopian knockout punch of a show like Black Mirror.

It's a bit odd to a life-long PKD fan, because I know the stories each episode is based on, and I actually think they've done a pretty good job translating them. It's just that Charlier Brooker also grew up reading Dick and watching the Twilight Zone and reading Gibson, and all that came after. His digestion of all that material is apparent, and the pastiche of it he's created is great within it's own right.

Electric Dreams is a little too-little-too-late because we've taken all the ideas that made PKD great and moved forward with them.
Proud member of Steel Tigers Of Death Local 382.
lumpenprole
steely dan roadie
steely dan roadie

Postby Tommy on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:20 pm

lumpenprole wrote:
scoopneck wrote:

It's a bit odd to a life-long PKD fan, because I know the stories each episode is based on, and I actually think they've done a pretty good job translating them. It's just that Charlier Brooker also grew up reading Dick and watching the Twilight Zone and reading Gibson, and all that came after. His digestion of all that material is apparent, and the pastiche of it he's created is great within it's own right.

Electric Dreams is a little too-little-too-late because we've taken all the ideas that made PKD great and moved forward with them.

I was fairly entertained by most of the episodes. No problem recommending it. It's for sure Black Mirror light. But that's okay.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby enframed on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:41 am

What Happened, Miss Simone. Doc about Nina Simone.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Riff Magnum on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Fred Armissen "Standup for drummers"
not lol after lol, but given all the musical content I enjoyed it immensely. Definitely unique.
Riff Magnum
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby aldofarian on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:32 am

Riff Magnum wrote:Fred Armissen "Standup for drummers"
not lol after lol, but given all the musical content I enjoyed it immensely. Definitely unique.

Conceptionally it jumps around a lot, so it feels a bit unstructured but the hour or so it lasts flies by. Maybe he/they felt under pressure to pull in different aspects but he could have just sat behind one kit for an hour and chatted. Those simple bits were my favourites.
mort pété
aldofarian
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby 154 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:42 am

I feel like I've been around drummers who could do better "drummer observational humor".

The most impressive bit was probably the regional accents.. which had nothing to do with drums.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Previous

Return to General Discussion