home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Streaming Netflix - what's good lately?

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Streaming Netflix - what's good lately?

Postby SkronkFronkerdale on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:09 pm

Just watched National Bird which had me in tears at points(nothing new for me ha, given the subject matter). Should be mandatory viewing for everyone, but most notably all American citizens. Also watched Awake recently, documentary on Standing Rock, which should also be mandatory viewing. Was surprised how uplifting and insipring "Awake" turned out to be. Really, quite strikingly, ironic that the Native people are the remarkably Christ-like ones in their outlook, while the forces of "Christianity" on the other side, sending in their stoic trigger-happy military forces, couldn't be more the opposite of that. This is Canadian Netflix by the way.

Documentaries like these are so incredibly important because everyday people need to see, more than anything maybe, the human beings that live daily under the spectre of tyrannical forces of oppression. Not only because said forces disseminate false propaganda against them to undercut their cause and keep the public from really feeling their suffering, but also because public opinion desperately needs to see these victims to have any chance to feel real empathy for them, to gain the strength of will to collectively push back. It all gets lost in the newsfeed otherwise, and the endless barriers that keep the general public from recognizing their shared humanity with the victims. Its pretty clear which side has a humanity that people could relate to, and which side resembles an unfeeling nightmarish machine. Oppression persists by keeping the voices and faces of the victims in the dark. Documentaries like these are becoming increasingly important now that they are so immediately accessible. Nothing new I'm saying here of course.
SkronkFronkerdale
party clown
party clown

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:06 am

eliya wrote:Big Mouth is one of the funniest shows in recent times.

We've been watching this recently on your recommendation - very hot and cold for me. Some of the stuff I've enjoyed quite a bit, but it gets too into "dick and balls territory" too regularly for me to give it a full-on thumb's up right now.
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby eliya on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:05 pm

four_oclocker_2 wrote:
eliya wrote:Big Mouth is one of the funniest shows in recent times.

We've been watching this recently on your recommendation - very hot and cold for me. Some of the stuff I've enjoyed quite a bit, but it gets too into "dick and balls territory" too regularly for me to give it a full-on thumb's up right now.

That's the point. They're teenagers so they go into the dick and balls territory often, but they go long and it basically gets poetic. The show's hilarious.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:39 am

Mindhunter was pretty good! You should watch it.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby enframed on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:08 am

The Falling is a pretty good film.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:06 pm

We watched Paterson the other night since it had a 96% score or something on Rotten Tomatoes.

It was pretty boring. I don't think Adam Driver is the kind of actor that can pull off that sort of understated role, so it just made for a boring watch. Did not deserve that high of a score, but I think Rotten Tomatoes skews towards vaguely arty but not terribly challenging films. Plus, the scenes where he was writing reminded me of those dumb instagram poems.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby SkronkFronkerdale on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:43 am

Frances Ha is pretty great.
SkronkFronkerdale
party clown
party clown

Postby noise&light on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:50 am

I've gone back to rewatch The Twilight Zone series to remind myself of all the awesome actors that showed up here and there. Great stuff! A lot of it is new to me and I'm loving the creepiness.

Another vote for the excellent Mindhunter.

Last night Patton Oswalt's Annihilation just blew me away. It might be the best thing he's ever done.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Carl on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:18 am

noise&light wrote:Last night Patton Oswalt's Annihilation just blew me away. It might be the best thing he's ever done.

Especially the final half hour.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby 154 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:14 am

The Meyerowitz Stories was my favorite Baumbach movie since The Squid and the Whale.

Postby enframed on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:06 pm

SkronkFronkerdale wrote:Frances Ha is pretty great.

Good film. Man, Greta Gerwig is really somethin'.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:49 am

I thought Jim and Andy: The Great Beyond was decent, almost entirely because of the footage from the production of Man on the Moon. The bewildered, annoyed, confused, enthused and provoked reactions he gets out of Milos Forman, Danny Devito and Paul Giammati among other crew members, and footage of Tony Clifton and Jim Carrey busting into the Playboy Mansion make it worth while if you can stand Carrey's pseudo-philosophical bullshit.
Your taste is in your ass
thelonelymastodronus
alan's bitch
alan's bitch

Postby AdamN on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:22 pm

Gomorrah (the TV series). Series 3 is just starting up, but the first two are on Netflix. I'm one of the few (I assume) to be bored at times by the likes of The Sopranos. I don't care about the drama surrounding Tony's affairs and his equally terrible wife and children. Gomorrah moves quickly, doesn't dwell on petty familial issues, is grim and brutal and dispatches of people quickly. Also, having a gay character be in a position of power is far more intriguing than being some rank and file soldier, considering the harsh homophobia that envelops that world.

The book by Saviano is worth reading as well.
AdamN
boris becker
boris becker

Postby edventure on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:39 am

Super Dark Times, a coming-of-age thriller I worked on (and discussed a bit here) is now on Netflix.

edventure
pointer sisters
pointer sisters

Postby scoopneck on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:20 pm

German-produced series "Dark" is really interesting...been enjoying Breaking Bad for the first time (somehow missed it til now).
scoopneck
pryor
pryor

Postby uglysound on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:41 pm

Has anyone checked out Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime? Just found out it existed.
uglysound
julie from mod squad
julie from mod squad

Postby Rustic Griswald on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:15 pm

Looking forward to Electric Dreams. Manhunt: Unabomber was actually very good. I don't usually enjoy made for TV series. I wish they woulda explored Ted's Philosophy and Manifesto deeper. Prophetic stuff. didn't justify mailing bombs tho,..lol
Rustic Griswald
troll
troll

Postby scoopneck on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:21 pm

uglysound wrote:Has anyone checked out Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime? Just found out it existed.

Really wanted to like ED, but something was missing from just about every episode. It just didn't have the expected dystopian knockout punch of a show like Black Mirror.
scoopneck
pryor
pryor

Postby weezy on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:25 pm

uglysound wrote:Has anyone checked out Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime? Just found out it existed.

We only watched the first one and I thought it was trying too hard to be like Black Mirror, as mentioned above. Black Mirror can be hit or miss too.

I thought Ozark was going to be cheesy as fuck because I think Jason Bateman is cheesy as fuck, but 2 episodes in, it's pretty decent.
weezy
alexander alekhine
alexander alekhine

Postby lumpenprole on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:22 pm

scoopneck wrote:

Really wanted to like ED, but something was missing from just about every episode. It just didn't have the expected dystopian knockout punch of a show like Black Mirror.

It's a bit odd to a life-long PKD fan, because I know the stories each episode is based on, and I actually think they've done a pretty good job translating them. It's just that Charlier Brooker also grew up reading Dick and watching the Twilight Zone and reading Gibson, and all that came after. His digestion of all that material is apparent, and the pastiche of it he's created is great within it's own right.

Electric Dreams is a little too-little-too-late because we've taken all the ideas that made PKD great and moved forward with them.
Proud member of Steel Tigers Of Death Local 382.
lumpenprole
robert motherwell
robert motherwell

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion