home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Metallica and Lou Reed

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Metallica and Lou Reed

Postby Arson Smith on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:37 am

And, finally... "Junior Dad":

PROS: somewhat inoffensive sounding

CONS: GOES ON FOR 20 FUCKING MINUTES.

Having gotten the full suffer, I can now officially say, with no guessing or supposition:

FUCK THIS STUPID BULLSHIT
My mind, it's a terrible diskette.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby cneutron on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:38 am

Ok, here are a few of the more choice quotes I had from the live listening experience/chat.
"Again, if we could get that 'homeless man' spoken worn vibe here Lou, that'd be great."

I'm wishing that I bought TWO six packs of Old Foghorn to get through this mess now. Or: one to drink while listening to it, and another to wipe that memory clean.

Despite being about 10 minutes too long, Junior Dad was probably one of the least objectionable songs on this cavalcade of mediocrity. Wow, that is totally a thing that happened.

Surprisingly, There is a decently ok 3 song ep here with some incredibly judicious editing, the lack of the incongruous Hetfield vocals and a whole lot of remixing. Seriously, everytime Jaymz comes in it suspends all disbelief that this is anything other than the angst of indulgent millionaires.

Cheat on Me COULD be good, compositionally it holds the most promise, it just isn't. Especially when they both start singing. Ugh.
Junior Dad could be a decent 9-10 minute song. In that Sigur Ros/Godspeed/Spaceman 3 kind of worship sort of way... but even that rambles the fuck on needlessly.

Little Dog...
holy fuck.
HOF awful.

Iced Honey is Metallica trying to do a Sweet Jane type of song, and it is about what you would expect of that sentence. It ends up sounding like some serious butt rock.

So yeah, simultaneously as bad as I thought it would be, worse... and about exactly what I thought as well. The most indulgent aspects of both acts, who get very, very indulgent, and very little actual melding at all, which is it's biggest failure. Somebody should have been around to tell them "no."
"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends = Music band: Neutron/Ash/Crover.
Radio NOPE = 24/7 Kickass tunes & talk
cneutron
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Frank Decent on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:48 am

I blame the parents. Where was Lars' dad when this dipshittery was being sharted out? All anyone needed to hear was one simple "Deleeet that" and this whole mess could've been avoided.
Mr. Ulrich, you dropped the ball.
garthplinko wrote:the other day I saw an actual human being wearing a Collective Soul shirt.
Frank Decent
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby J. Burns on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:58 am

Wow. I just listened to that whole thing.

I'm not going to say that it was good, because there were long stretches of it that were god awful, but there was enough stuff that almost worked that it kept me listening for 90 minutes.

The most mind-boggling thing to me is that there is a PRONOUNCED Sonic Youth influence in a lot of the tracks. There are also stylistic nods to Jandek and GYBE! here and there.

The whole thing is really fucking bizarre. I would never recommend it, but Lulu was at least car-crash-entertaining and held my interest until the 2nd half of "Junior Dad."
DrAwkward wrote:You do not need four fucking guitars to play pop-punk.

POLICE TEETH: Gone fishin'. Be back soon!
SEMINARS: "Dreamcrusher" 10" LP out 01.27.15
J. Burns
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby scott on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:13 am

Arson Smith wrote:In all fairness, I'm partway through the "listening party" now, and I have to say this:

I might honestly enjoy "Mistress Dread (instrumental)" if it existed as a B-side on a 12".

(I mean, when was the last time we got to hear Metallica THRASH like that?!)

But again... with Lou Reed bleating off all over it, in no particular rhythm, and at a significantly weird volume as compared to the backing track... it just becomes an instant headscratch/headache.

It's kinda like they took Dyers Eve (which they already wrote over 20 years ago) and stripped away everything good about it except for that one riff over and over and over and over, added some ambient backing stuff that's actually pretty good, and had a drunken tone-deaf poet ramble over it for 5 minutes. In other words, taking a pretty decent song they made 20 years ago and making it into something... Not Good.

The staccato thing in the last 1.5 min or so was pretty decent too, riff-wise anyway.

Basically just go listen to Dyers Eve and don't waste your time on this.

When we were cleaning out the practice space, I played that first full-song monstrosity for Matt, who unlike me loves poetry. He found it sort of interesting, I think he enjoyed the poetic aspect of it and probably some of the imagery built into the lyrics. He didn't think it was crap, which surprised me if only slightly. But then he said something like "but if I really wanted to listen to something like this I'd just put on Trenchmouth". When I told him someone had made that very same comparison in this thread, it made him happy. I've never heard Trenchmouth, but I assume I'd hate it.

And fwiw, I absolutely love old Metallica, up to and including AJFA. It was that Metallica music that was my vehicle for becoming a musician in the first place, the AJFA bass tab book is how I cut my teeth. Still listen to that era of Metallica to this day, probably as recently as a week ago. Two weeks tops.

They really, really should've called it a day back around 1990. Musically this album might be the best thing they've done since their cover of Whiskey In The Jar, but that's not really saying much.

This is just fun to watch unfold is all. Schadenfreude, maybe I spelled it wrong, but that's exactly what's going on here.

How on earth did Metallica become the most popular and successful of the Big Four bands, and sink so much lower than the others? Slayer and Anthrax didn't get anywhere close to this bad, if they even ever crossed into "bad" in the first place. Megadeth is a different story maybe, I mean, their lyrics and subject matter in general have gotten pretty dreadful. But Metallica, they've fallen the farthest, by *lightyears*, and somehow that process made them insanely rich.

Maybe there really is such a thing as a deal with The Devil.
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby kerble on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:22 am

Scott,

Mediocrity Sells....

Also, Trenchmouth was fucking incredible. You would maybe even enjoy the Inside the Future record. Not a whole lot of poetry going on in the lyrics in the Loutallica vein, just some frantic, wordy post-punk.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby kerble on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:27 am

cneutron wrote:Surprisingly, There is a decently ok 3 song ep here with some incredibly judicious editing, the lack of the incongruous Hetfield vocals and a whole lot of remixing.

Where's Hench when we need him?
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Major on Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:48 am

Found a leak. Should be a fun morning.
Major
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Isabelle Gall on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:03 am

Not that I want to defend the fucking thing, but I don't think it's any worse than albums they would have produced separately at this point...'Iced Honey' was the only track I had to turn off. Also, I don't think it's any different than regular metal/noise albums that tiptoe coyly and endlessly around themes of abjection and extremely vague misogyny like frightened little boys. It's pretty basic self-loathing, angryman rockchug with some artful, Grand Guignol stuff awkwardly sitting on top of it that is mildly diverting in parts but mostly falls all over the place. I've heard worse Keiji Haino collaborations.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Major on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:55 am

Just started listening to this. How Lars manages to become WORSE as time goes on is beyond me.
Major

Postby Frank Decent on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:46 am

Major wrote:Just started listening to this. How Lars manages to become WORSE as time goes on is beyond me.

Someone was asking me recently, "how is he a bad drummer?" and it was difficult to explain because he's not overtly bad, as if he were completely incompetent or some shit. But he drums like an asshole. Some fucks drive like assholes. They're all over the road, they don't signal, they speed up the right, they ride your ass, and then brake at the last second, spread half-way over the crosswalk. That's how Lars drums. He doesn't seem to play with the band, he plays on them. Jaymz presents some riffs and Lars rolls around on it like cat nip. Flailing and blurping and licking himself. Fuckin' arsehole.
garthplinko wrote:the other day I saw an actual human being wearing a Collective Soul shirt.
Frank Decent
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby MF on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:57 am

"If you make others feel like jam, pour it on a piece of charbroiled lamb."

Oh yes!
MF
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby Major on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:05 am

There are some instrumental, drum-less stretches that are somewhat compelling. I like the beginning of "Cheat on Me" and the strings in "Junior Dad".

Lou Reed sounds like he's suffering from dementia and Jaymez sounds like he's making fun of him.

Frank, you nailed it: Lars is "The Prick on the Freeway with the Dumb Sports Car" of drummers. Fantastic analogy.

I could see a big Lou Reed fan digging this. I think die hard Metallica fans will be pissed.

This wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined. But I'll never listen to it again.
Major

Postby Neuloveyou on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:21 am

Bar the line which seems to go something like "Don't show me mercy, my name's not Percy" I......................... quite enjoyed this.
As a big Lou Reed fan, I feel like I've suffered through worse. I can't put my finger on exactly what that would have been, but I definitely feel like I've suffered through worse.
Neuloveyou
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby whoisalhedges on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:22 am

Neuloveyou wrote:As a big Lou Reed fan, I feel like I've suffered through worse. I can't put my finger on exactly what that would have been, but I definitely feel like I've suffered through worse.

The Raven, perhaps?
"Country music must go on!" -- Austin J. Hall, September 11, 2001
whoisalhedges
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Location: Where they put chili on spaghetti, BBQ sauce on kielbasa, and men on the moon.

Postby MF on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:43 am

"chance" and "romance" are rhymed in the FIRST song. I didn't think shit like that was still possible in 2011.
MF
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby The Flying Ninja on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:23 am

Fuck me if Lou Reed doesn't sound just like Abe Simpson at times.
The Flying Ninja
ben franklin
ben franklin

Postby MF on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:32 am

The Flying Ninja wrote:Fuck me if Lou Reed doesn't sound just like Abe Simpson at times.

LOL! So true.
MF
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby Justin Foley on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:02 am

I've been unsure if it's really that bad or just wonderfully ambitious with an unfortunate outcome.

Hetfield's first "Why do I cheat on me" at about the 4.30 mark in Cheat On Me confirms that it's awful.

It seems like it would be terrible to have to manage Lou Reed's use of a microphone. It sounds like he keeps looking away while he's singing.

Does anyone remember that movie "Heat"? Like, it was supposed to be a big deal that Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro were appearing onscreen together at the same time, but then, when you actually watched it they didn't really, except for this one scene in a restaurant where you only see the back of one while the other's talking at him and it actually could have been a stand in's back and they maybe could have done the thing by never even being in the same room? I was just reminded of that.

= Justin
Justin Foley
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Justin Foley on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:29 am

Made it up through about 9 minutes of Dragon. I just couldn't take any more.

Oh man.

= Justin
Justin Foley

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion