home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Ask a veterinarian.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Ask a veterinarian.

Postby noise&light on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:53 am

Hey Doc!

My cat, Chester, has been doing well lately. Just to remind you: he'd been ill with stomach/digestive issues and we spent a couple years with different vets and meds and tests, hearing the worst, until you advised a diet change. He has been pretty stable for the most part on this diet of prescription cat food and no sodium shredded turkey.

He throws up about once a week now. It's not too bad. He's 17.5 years old and previously never really threw up with the exception of the odd hairball every year or so.

This morning has been rough. Chester got me up at 7:30 am because he was hungry. I've fed him 3 times and he's throw up everything almost immediately after. And then he sits by his food dish waiting for more. Usually in the mornings we hang out on the couch after he eats. He is sitting here purring up a storm, so he doesn't seem like he is in distress, but his stomach is making lots of upset stomach sounds. I've taken the food and water away so that his stomach can settle.

Do I wait a couple of hours before giving him more food. Is it time to schedule a doctor visit? Is it an emergency? I'm obviously concerned about his inability to keep food down but he seems okay at the moment.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby matte on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:27 pm

Glad to see this get bumped.

Our four year old mixed breed (around 25 pounds) ate some raisins tonight. This happened last year and my wife brought her to a 24 hour place (Blue Pearl.) They induced vomiting and all was good.

So we are back at Blue Pearl again and I'm just wondering if raisins are as bad as some reports indicate?
matte
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby wellbutrin on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:52 pm

noise&light wrote:Chester!

Puking once a week with IBD/food sensitivity is acceptable to me. This sounds like a flare-up. If he keeps throwing up today into tomorrow, you have the digits. Call the BatPhone.
wellbutrin
agnes martin
agnes martin

Postby wellbutrin on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:54 pm

matte wrote:Glad to see this get bumped.

Our four year old mixed breed (around 25 pounds) ate some raisins tonight. This happened last year and my wife brought her to a 24 hour place (Blue Pearl.) They induced vomiting and all was good.

So we are back at Blue Pearl again and I'm just wondering if raisins are as bad as some reports indicate?

Yes. Raisins and grapes are butt for dogs. Super butt. Emergency butt unfortunately. I think the lowest recorded toxic dose of raisins for a dog is something like .7oz/kg which is more than a few raisins for most dogs but it's nothing to mess around with.

Two weird things about it are that we have NO idea why it kills the kidneys and also some dogs seem to be immune. Can't tell which ones it will and won't cause problems for though.
wellbutrin
agnes martin
agnes martin

Postby mmuchi on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me out with some advice:

I have a ~4yr black short haired male cat - we had to take him to the emergency because of a blocked urethra... they put in a catheter drained his bladder and charged us a ton of money...

It was determined that there was no UTI but it may be stones / FLUTD.. they recommended taking him off his half dry / half wet diet and switch to purely wet and giving him a little more exercise... We're also watching out for strange behavior, frequent trips to the litter box and smaller than usual clumps.

We've looked at the Ash content of his food and it's below the limit but not by much... They also recommended Royal Canin Urinary SO... but it is prohibitively expensive.

We are now adding water to his food with every meal... Does this help anything?

I'm wondering if there is anything we can do or more cost effect ways of preventing inflammation, making sure this doesn't happen again...

There was no X-ray done so it may be stones - do any of the over the counter food additives for reducing crystals actually do anything? Are they healthy?

Thanks!
mmuchi
envoy
envoy

Postby wellbutrin on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:09 pm

mmuchi wrote:Hi,

urethra

You're on the right track. The underlying cause of FLUTD is poorly understood. It's pretty rarely stones or an infection. Keeping the urine as dilute as possible and with as neutral a pH as possible helps decrease the chance of relapse, though sometimes it happens anyway. The food, whether it be the Royal Canin SO or Hill's c/d Multicare really does help in my experience. The wetter the better. There are some OTC supplements out there but I'd be super hesitant to use them without really close monitoring of urine pH, crystals etc.

There is a website called balanceit.com that I know a lot of nutritionists use. It allows you to homecook a bunch of food in bulk and add an additive (that they supply) based on the disease in question. It may be more cost effective than buying the commercial foods previously mentioned so I'd take a look.

It is entirely possible to do everything correctly and still end up with a blockage again. 3 blockages and I generally recommend P-U surgery.
wellbutrin
agnes martin
agnes martin

Postby noise&light on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:06 am

wellbutrin wrote:
noise&light wrote:Chester!

Puking once a week with IBD/food sensitivity is acceptable to me. This sounds like a flare-up. If he keeps throwing up today into tomorrow, you have the digits. Call the BatPhone.

He started doing better later that day. Although I noticed that he seemed to be having trouble with the prescribed food, so I've been giving him smaller portions.

Thanks as always, doc! I appreciate the speedy response and you totally calm my fears.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light

Postby free meat on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:41 am

Hey wellbutrin,
six year old male cat of mine has semi-recently started taking seizures. Not entirely sure how many he's actually taken, but I've found him having them twice before this morning's seizure. Took him to the vet previously about this, but they weren't too concerned as the ones before had been over six months apart. However, this one was only two months after his last one. I think it lasted about 6-8 seconds and after two minutes he was up and moving fairly normally again. I know most any seizure medication can be damaging to cat's livers, but just wondering if you've any advice on it all? Will try and get him to the vets sometime this week. Cheers.
free meat
kofi annan
kofi annan

Postby wellbutrin on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:45 pm

free meat wrote:Hey wellbutrin,
six year old male cat of mine has semi-recently started taking seizures. Not entirely sure how many he's actually taken, but I've found him having them twice before this morning's seizure. Took him to the vet previously about this, but they weren't too concerned as the ones before had been over six months apart. However, this one was only two months after his last one. I think it lasted about 6-8 seconds and after two minutes he was up and moving fairly normally again. I know most any seizure medication can be damaging to cat's livers, but just wondering if you've any advice on it all? Will try and get him to the vets sometime this week. Cheers.

Epilepsy in cats is more rare than in dogs but we see it from time to time. If the seizures are more frequent than every 3 months it should be investigated with a basic workup (bloodwork, x-rays) to rule out non-CNS causes. Most neurologists recommend an MRI and spinal fluid sampling to rule out brain tumors, meningitis etc but it's rarely done due to cost concerns. It is certainly ideal.

Phenobarbital is our go-to drug and works great. It can be toxic to the liver but we monitor for that annually or semi-annually and it's benefits far outweigh it's downsides. There are other drugs like levetiracetam and potassium bromide but they are typically only used as adjuncts if the pheno is not working or a lower dose is desired due to the aforementioned toxic effects.

Hope that helps.
wellbutrin
agnes martin
agnes martin

Postby free meat on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:07 am

Cheers for that. Vets tomorrow for him. Bracing myself for a fairly large bill if bloods and xray are required. Feel a lot better about any potential medication if there are less toxic alternatives available. Thanks again.
free meat
kofi annan
kofi annan

Postby Pure L on Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:15 pm

My 100 lb German Shepherd of 13 years is not in a good state.

Besides her sight and hearing being all but gone, she has degenerative myelopathy in her back legs, a tumor in her mouth, some sort of lesion on her side that will not heal and seems to be getting worse by the day. It's a struggle for her just to stand really. Lays down ALL THE TIME now.

Fucking dog still wants to "play" too but, goddamn... it's getting harder to feel good about. I have to help her down the stairs just to go outside and I'm pretty sure she's peeing in her dog bed now too.

I've dipped my toe in the waters of researching home euthanization but I'm terrified that she'll somehow suffer during this process and fight it or something. She's a fucking warrior and, up until now, has taken no shit. (This was the first time I ever saw her scared on the 4th of July... totally unlike her and wicked sad.)

I don't have the time to search through this thread but I'm willing to bet others have done this. Perhaps someone could chime in with any advice, etc.?

When I type out all these issues things become somewhat more clear but Jesus Christ wtf am i doing.

I love this fucking dog.
Pure L
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby wellbutrin on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:48 pm

I'm sorry to hear about this. DM is a sad thing to see. It's good you are able to be somewhat objective about what you are seeing as many people are not. Quality of life is (usually) best judged by those closest, although sometimes this judgement is overwhelmed by the heartbreak of the thought of losing a pet they love. I personally use general guidelines of being able to walk outside and go to the bathroom, eating and drinking as a bare minimum of acceptability.

Try not to worry about the euthanasia being traumatic for her and use that as a reason to prolong any suffering. It is possible for things to go wrong of course, but this is very, very rare and any experienced vet should be able to make the process smooth and painless.
wellbutrin
agnes martin
agnes martin

Postby djimbe on Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:34 pm

Pure L wrote:My 100 lb German Shepherd of 13 years is not in a good state.

this is always a bad time. My wife and I have discussed the "tipping point" when we've had geriatric dogs so we both are on the same page related to when we should say goodbye for the benefit of all. One of our Pointers is inching toward that time as a 12 year old. She's healthy looking and our doctor thinks she's great for her age, but GSP's don't often get to 14.

I don't know if you have a regular Vet and/or if they are close, but if so, you might see if they will make a house call to do the procedure. My Vet will and they have done so for me and it was a big help.
djimbe
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Model Citizen on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Hey man thanks for doing this thread.

My dog Finley, a staffordshire bull terrier/rottweiler mix, has been pissing a bit weird at night. All day he's absolutely fine but at night he'll occasionally just stand outside and it'll drip out for ages until he's done.

Doesn't seem to be in any pain, discomfort or whatever and he's had no accidents, waking up in the night or anything like that and his bladder isn't distended either.

Could it be age (he's roughly 8 years old I think - he was adopted) or an infection or maybe because it's super hot here and he's drinking a lot? I also worried about some kind of blockage...

He did it once before but I wasn't sure I wasn't mistaken then tonight I definitely saw it so I'm taking him to the vets anyway tomorrow afternoon but would be good to know if that sounds serious or whatever.

Edit: since I wrote that he's just been completely normally again so it's very occasional.

I'm sorry to read about your dog, Pure L, all the best.
Model Citizen
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby wellbutrin on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:15 pm

Model Citizen wrote: piss

Intermittent urinary signs can mean a lot of things. Metabolic abnormalities (diabetes, renal failure, cushing's disease etc) usually show much more consistent clinical signs than you describe. Personally I'd be looking for structural abnormalities (urinary stones, prostate issues, tumors [worst-case]) based on your history. Male dogs very rarely get urinary tract infections without an obvious underlying cause so a simple infection is very unlikely. An exam and basic testing usually yields an answer with these cases so I hope it gets figured out for you.
wellbutrin
agnes martin
agnes martin

Postby CarjackFairy on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:42 pm

This is a cool thread idea, thanks for doing this. I've got a 12 lb Pomeranian/Chihuahua Mix who's probably around 11-12 yrs old. He's been having issues getting around from what I'm pretty certain is hip dysplasia. Unfortunately surgery is too expensive to be an option (and at his age having him put under would be super risky). I try to keep him active (although he does get carried around a lot), keep his weight steady, etc. and he takes anti-inflammatory to help with the stiffness. Is there anything else I should be doing? Should I be massaging his hip area or would that just hurt him or make it worse? He has good and bad days with getting around on his own, and he is developing cataracts which definitely doesn't help him avoid tripping and walking into walls. Would getting him a doggie wheelchair help? I've seen dogs in them and I always wonder if that would help him out. I feel terrible when he desperately wants to hop up for a treat or play and ends up flopping over on to his side.
CarjackFairy
pom pom
pom pom

Postby Model Citizen on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:44 am

Thanks a lot wellbutrin, I'll get him checked out.
Model Citizen

Postby Janeway on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:59 am

hey vet, how do i get the stuff i want in life?

also, why does the world punish those who live extraordinary lives? i get it, don't be different, but they also said be the best, not knowing what to do when you actually succeed... because life isn't easier, it's more work treading through morons. haha but that itself is adulthood, you guys already knew that one, im just learning.

okay i guess my vet wish is for a guy i can tell all my stories to. it'd be cool once to have somebody care about my stories in real life. im sick of being a tree falling and doing backflips and nobody noticed or cared or whatever. but give a mouse a cookie and she'll want kids she can love and a house she can live in too so,

so don't worry about granting any wishes cause ive never been the type, i always figured pray instead of wish, and praying is for good outcomes, not personal wants. so my vet prayer is for good stuff for everybody. that oughta do it.
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway

Postby Model Citizen on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:51 am

Finley update: Looks like we were lucky, relatively at least. After examining him, vet says that he has a minor infection, I think in his urethra? There was a slight language barrier. Anyway, this led to a bad build up of puss that was occasionally blocking his piss and he was a bit swollen down there too.

He's had a full examination and nothing else dodgy was found beyond all his old war wounds, hernias and missing chunks and stuff. He is on antibiotics now and got to keep it clean and pop back in a week to make sure it's cleared up.

I actually forgot that he has had problems with his junk before, he had puss down there once before and an infection. It was years ago.

Thanks again wellbutrin, really good of you to give up your free time like this.
Model Citizen

Postby Pure L on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:17 pm

We put the dog down yesterday.

It was brutal on an emotional level but it couldn't have gone better.

Smooth and peaceful.

It was the right thing to do but I'd be happy to never have to do it again.

Salut, Zia. You were an awesome bitch.
Pure L

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion