home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Seen any good movies lately?

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Seen any good movies lately?

Postby Me Again on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:07 am

Saw Torn Curtain about twenty years ago, in 35mm at the Times Cinema. Paul Newman is cool, but Hitchcock is one of the most overrated filmmakers I can think of. Will begrudgingly admit that I mostly enjoyed Rear Window (probably his best, and a movie I enjoyed a lot as a little kid) the last time I caught it. But man... on the whole Hitchcock sure was corny and misanthropic, a noxious combination that really wears thin the more films of his one sees. His whole concept was baldly "film as manipulation," and little else. So in addition to being a less than stellar "artist," he was a shallow theorist. He was a decent craftsmen who used good film stock, but the greats of his day like Nicholas Ray, the Archers, Welles, etc. are WAY WAY cooler and have influenced far better cinema. It's really hard for me to overstate how much I think Hitchcock and the bottom-shelf psychology he espoused have been a negative influence on cinema.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
waddy wachtel
waddy wachtel

Postby Janeway on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:12 am

^still, i recommend pulling up some strawberries and tuning into the trouble with harry

phpBB [media]
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Redline on Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Not lately. I saw this when I was way too young, I could not remember what it was called, would tell people how the movie went, even asked the PRF ages ago and some wag said "Bullshit, you're making it up" or something like that, many years later I've figured it out!!!

Ok, next mystery. Has anyone ever seen the movie Jigsaw (1980) directed by Robina Rose?
Maybe someone here from the UK? It's about autism and pretty it's wild. Messed my brain up. I searched Jigsaw and all I get on the interwebs is promo for the new bullshit SAW movie.
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Me Again on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Janeway wrote:^still, i recommend pulling up some strawberries and tuning into the trouble with harry

phpBB [media]

Saw that one on VHS many moons ago. Something of a precursor to Weekend at Bernie's. Of films shot in Autumn The Trouble with Harry does a better job than most at capturing what it feels like to behold the peak colors of leaves turning, just before all of the foliage assumes a dull brown. Coupled with the film stock they used and the crisp exposures, this does make for a good looking film, I'll give you that. :D
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
waddy wachtel
waddy wachtel

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:39 am

Ben Wheatley's Free Fire is good fun.
Your taste is in your ass
thelonelymastodronus
bobby seale
bobby seale

Postby Redline on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:45 pm

Tell Them Who You Are - Doc about Haskell Wexler, the cinematographer. Christ, what a knob.
Redline

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:03 am

Sway by Miwa Nishikawa
thelonelymastodronus
bobby seale
bobby seale

Postby free meat on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:36 am

Starting to enjoy some of the more recent horrors getting pumped out. The VVitch and It Follows were both tense, terrifying and brilliant.
free meat
kofi annan
kofi annan

Postby Antero on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:53 am

Rewatched Babbette's Feast the other day. Such good feels.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Janeway on Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:56 am

^sway seems like the concept of don't kill the messenger, only it's more don't be the messenger between brothers cause when family is done fighting and wants to squash it, it makes you kinda the bug that gets squashed... boys fighting over the same doll til dad's generation takes it away and tosses it in the trash. same old story.
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:43 pm

Janeway wrote:^sway seems like the concept of don't kill the messenger, only it's more don't be the messenger between brothers cause when family is done fighting and wants to squash it, it makes you kinda the bug that gets squashed... boys fighting over the same doll til dad's generation takes it away and tosses it in the trash. same old story.

Yeah, the lawyer uncle did kind of get fucked over for all his efforts but I think the film had more to do with the influence of the impression people make on you and how that can affect your actions or in the case of the main character, even memories.
thelonelymastodronus
bobby seale
bobby seale

Postby kokorodoko on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:12 am

Watched Towelhead about a month ago. Very strong, and sad, and difficult. Alan Ball is highly uneven as an author and director, even within the same project (some of the side stories in True Blood were just face-slappingly stupid). But when he gets it right, he really gets it right.
Janeway wrote:it’s like, why do people say paper covers rock when we all know paper is a lil bish that gets paper weighted by smooth river rocks, you just need to rock out wheneve paperwork has got you down.
kokorodoko
"wild bill" hickok
"wild bill" hickok

Postby Isabelle Gall on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:35 am

Savage Messiah, Ken Russell.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby edventure on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:23 am

Super Dark Times is a film that I had the pleasure of working on as film editor; it’s getting a limited theatrical release today (Chicago people can see it at Facets) followed by VOD in a week. It’s being marketed as horror, although I think psychological thriller might be a more apt category. Two high school friends in the 90s get into some serious fucking trouble:

phpBB [video]

I could fill pages with how much working on this film has meant to me — long story short, I consider it a high point in my career and am lucky to have been a part of it. I’m posting it here on the PRF because aside from the (admittedly biased) opinion that the movie kicks ass:

- A few music cues that I suggested actually made it into the finished film, from bands I wouldn’t have known about were it not for this forum (Bitch Magnet, Comsat Angels)

- It was never intended, but it could be read as a thematic adaptation of the Shellac tune “Riding Bikes”

Theater/VOD info: superdarktimes.com
edventure
pointer sisters
pointer sisters

Postby JohnnySomersett on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:46 am

Went and saw 'mother!' last week at the cinema. Big fan of Aronofsky's early films.

Genuinely interesting, stressful and thoroughly unpredictable. Great stuff.
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby total_douche on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:50 am

The Founder was pretty good. It's weird for me, because the last time I saw Michael Keaton in a new-ish film was when I was a kid and we went to go see Batman Returns.

EDIT: Wait, no, we rented Jack Frost once when I was a teenager. Part of me wishes I hadn't remembered that.
total_douche
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby stewie on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:40 pm

edventure wrote:Super Dark Times is a film that I had the pleasure of working on as film editor; it’s getting a limited theatrical release today (Chicago people can see it at Facets) followed by VOD in a week. It’s being marketed as horror, although I think psychological thriller might be a more apt category. Two high school friends in the 90s get into some serious fucking trouble:

phpBB [video]

I could fill pages with how much working on this film has meant to me — long story short, I consider it a high point in my career and am lucky to have been a part of it. I’m posting it here on the PRF because aside from the (admittedly biased) opinion that the movie kicks ass:

- A few music cues that I suggested actually made it into the finished film, from bands I wouldn’t have known about were it not for this forum (Bitch Magnet, Comsat Angels)

- It was never intended, but it could be read as a thematic adaptation of the Shellac tune “Riding Bikes”

This sounds ACE. Congrats!
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:08 am

The Other Side of Hope by Aki Kaurismäki
Mahjong by Edward Yang
thelonelymastodronus
bobby seale
bobby seale

Postby enframed on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:38 am

edventure wrote:Super Dark Times is a film that I had the pleasure of working on as film editor; it’s getting a limited theatrical release today (Chicago people can see it at Facets) followed by VOD in a week. It’s being marketed as horror, although I think psychological thriller might be a more apt category. Two high school friends in the 90s get into some serious fucking trouble:

phpBB [video]

This looks really good. Congrats and thanks.

The Falling on Netflix right now was really good.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Dudley on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:15 am

phpBB [video]

This looks really really good. Good trailer too. Will def watch when it hits the UK.
Anthony Flack wrote:At the end of the day it's everybody's appreciation of cement that is the winner.
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion