home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Dragnet: Worldwide Stolen Gear Thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Dragnet: Worldwide Stolen Gear Thread

Postby garthplinko on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:50 am

scott wrote:I have a 60's YBA-1 y'all are welcome to use to keep going until you can find a reasonably priced backup if you don't already have one. Just shoot me a PM. it'll need some amount of work like caps or tubes or whatever, I haven't fired it up in probably 5 years. I'm more than happy to get it into proper shape for you guys. Sorry. Youze guys.

Dude, that's SUPER generous, thank you.

So I have a few other amps I can use as I'm a bit of a hoarder. So while it's still a huge bummer, it's not a crucial need for us. Seriously that's really kind of you to offer so thanks again.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby garthplinko on Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:02 pm

Nate Dort wrote:
numberthirty wrote:
154 wrote:Oh no!! I've certainly left those in my car for a few hours, you'd think they'd be discreet enough. :(

Anything distinguishing?

Looks like replacement knobs, no Traynor badge on the front, and replacement grill cloth. That's the older style cabinet (up to about '69) as well. Should be fairly easy to identify if it's found.

Sucks dude. Sorry about that.

Good info and good eye Nate, thank you! I forgot about the grill cloth on the front of the head, and never realized the knobs were replacements.

The cabinet though was actually a home-made one I built for a friend. He had one too so I plopped mine up there to see how it looked when finished.
garthplinko

Postby Nate Dort on Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:18 pm

garthplinko wrote:
Nate Dort wrote:
numberthirty wrote:
154 wrote:Oh no!! I've certainly left those in my car for a few hours, you'd think they'd be discreet enough. :(

Anything distinguishing?

Looks like replacement knobs, no Traynor badge on the front, and replacement grill cloth. That's the older style cabinet (up to about '69) as well. Should be fairly easy to identify if it's found.

Sucks dude. Sorry about that.

Good info and good eye Nate, thank you! I forgot about the grill cloth on the front of the head, and never realized the knobs were replacements.

The cabinet though was actually a home-made one I built for a friend. He had one too so I plopped mine up there to see how it looked when finished.

I meant the tolexed cabinet of the Traynor head, not the speaker cabinet. Your Traynor head is the earlier style enclosure which required sliding the metal chassis completely out to get up in them guts, as opposed to the later style enclosure which had a removable top, like this:

Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Adam P on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:53 am

I don't think that's a removable-top style, is it? The head box for the YBA-3A I used to have looked like that, with the rubber bumper around square sides, and you had to slide the chassis out to get at the insides (total pain with that thing, too). I thought removable top was only the later ones with the angled control panel (I think fm benadrian has one)?
Adam P
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Nate Dort on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:53 am

Adam P wrote:I don't think that's a removable-top style, is it? The head box for the YBA-3A I used to have looked like that, with the rubber bumper around square sides, and you had to slide the chassis out to get at the insides (total pain with that thing, too). I thought removable top was only the later ones with the angled control panel (I think fm benadrian has one)?

Yep, those open right up:

Nate Dort

Postby Adam P on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:50 am

Man, nice. I wish my YBA-3A had that.
Adam P

Postby Nate Dort on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:57 am

I wish all amps had that.
Nate Dort

Postby garthplinko on Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:16 pm

UPDATE!

Never thought I'd see this thing again.

So here's the story: After it was stolen I took my photo and added the distinguishing features that Nate pointed out and made some flyers and pinned them up at all the local pawns and music stores (this is a small town, so I have a relationship w/ a lot of these folks). Welp, sure enough, someone I know messaged me and said "hey, call the cops, we have your amp."

After what was an excruciating wait, I finally got the call yesterday from the police and met them at the shop today and it's back home where Fern can keep a close eye on it.

I'm out $90 though because I had to pay the price of the pawn loan which is a little insulting, but I'm not as upset about that since I was the dumb shit who left it in my vehicle overnight to begin with. I'll get that back if there's a successful prosecution, but I'm not expecting as much.

I'm in a bit of shock still honestly. I just fired it up and it sounds just as good as when it left.

Huge thanks to Nate Dort for helping out w/ the identifying unique features! There's a lot to be said to having personalization done to your equipment I reckon.
garthplinko

Postby Tommy on Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:46 pm

garthplinko wrote:UPDATE!

After what was an excruciating wait, I finally got the call yesterday from the police and met them at the shop today and it's back home where Fern can keep a close eye on it.

NICE! Congrats.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby elisha wiesner on Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:50 am

Awesome!
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby evanrowe on Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:09 am

Terrific news, Garth!
Ty Webb wrote:The gutters are filled with bullets, blood and bacon. No room for "petrol".

Maple Stave
Today's Forecast
Heather Loves Silkworm!
evanrowe
agnes martin
agnes martin

Postby yard barf on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:29 am

I hate seeing this thread get bumped, but for once it's good news! Very happy for you, Garth.
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby tallchris on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:47 am

Wait to go Garth!
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby dontfeartheringo on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:03 am

garthplinko wrote:

Hi, Fern! HI!!
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Anitrak on Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:24 am

Mickey Melchiondo's (Dean Ween) strat went missing last week from New Hope PA.

I've been forced to wait until I had exhausted every single scenario of it being misplaced, accidentally loaded into the wrong vehicle, etc---but on Wednesday night at John and Peter's in New Hope I was loading my amplifier into my truck and when I returned to the club my 1961 Stratocaster with a 61 Jazzmaster neck was stolen. (serial number 61936) At first I thought maybe someone loaded it into my truck thinking they were doing me a favor. But I instinctively knew something was wrong. I have talked to every band member, but I can't account for some of the other guys that sat in. If anyone has heard, or saw anything from Wednesday please contact me at 215-693-4215 or email me at vealmarsala@gmail.com There will be no questions asked, I just want my guitar back. This guitar was to be the replacement for my other 61 Strat (ole Red) and a lot of time went in to finding the perfect neck, body, hardware etc. The emotional part of this is brutal----the cameras at the club were malfunctioning that evening but the club has been very supportive in helping me find the culprit. Again, I just want the guitar returned, it is irreplaceable and a lot of time and love went into it's construction. It's 55 years old and has a Brazilian Slab rosewood neck, which were discontinued in mid 1962, making it virtually irreplaceable without spending quite a bit of money. I guarantee you this will never happen again. New Hope Police 215-348-7400 if you've heard someone brag about the caper. ALSO--IT WAS IN A TAN LEATHER LEVY GIG BAG

Anitrak
homestar
homestar

Postby Pure L on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:02 pm

Christ. I've always loved Dean's playing and this^^ is just plain shitty.

FWIW, I bought one of these:
https://www.itraq.com/

... and stash it in my case whenever I play out.

Been lucky enough to not have to actually track my stuff because of badness but it definitely seems to work.

I also have no idea how one would get the police involved if you had to get legal with one of these but it does give me some peace of mind.

Good luck, Dean/Mickey. God damn.
Pure L
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Tommy on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:29 pm

Pure L wrote:FWIW, I bought one of these:
https://www.itraq.com/

... and stash it in my case whenever I play out.

Been lucky enough to not have to actually track my stuff because of badness but it definitely seems to work.

I also have no idea how one would get the police involved if you had to get legal with one of these but it does give me some peace of mind.

That's genius.

You probably don't get police involved, you show up right away with a posse and take your shit back.
Tommy

Postby Anitrak on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:46 am

Anitrak wrote:Mickey Melchiondo's (Dean Ween) strat went missing last week from New Hope PA.

I've been forced to wait until I had exhausted every single scenario of it being misplaced, accidentally loaded into the wrong vehicle, etc---but on Wednesday night at John and Peter's in New Hope I was loading my amplifier into my truck and when I returned to the club my 1961 Stratocaster with a 61 Jazzmaster neck was stolen. (serial number 61936) At first I thought maybe someone loaded it into my truck thinking they were doing me a favor. But I instinctively knew something was wrong. I have talked to every band member, but I can't account for some of the other guys that sat in. If anyone has heard, or saw anything from Wednesday please contact me at 215-693-4215 or email me at vealmarsala@gmail.com There will be no questions asked, I just want my guitar back. This guitar was to be the replacement for my other 61 Strat (ole Red) and a lot of time went in to finding the perfect neck, body, hardware etc. The emotional part of this is brutal----the cameras at the club were malfunctioning that evening but the club has been very supportive in helping me find the culprit. Again, I just want the guitar returned, it is irreplaceable and a lot of time and love went into it's construction. It's 55 years old and has a Brazilian Slab rosewood neck, which were discontinued in mid 1962, making it virtually irreplaceable without spending quite a bit of money. I guarantee you this will never happen again. New Hope Police 215-348-7400 if you've heard someone brag about the caper. ALSO--IT WAS IN A TAN LEATHER LEVY GIG BAG

Mickey's guitar has been found apparently thanks to Social Media.
Anitrak
homestar
homestar

Postby Nate Dort on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:57 pm

Black Mountain had a ton of gear stolen in Gothenburg, Sweden this morning.

Stephen McBean's Stolen Gear:

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1978 wineburst guitar w/ case with Sheptone Heartbreaker pickups + 50s electronics
Gibson SG GI Reissue Guitar w/ case with Lollar P90 pickup in bridge
Squire J Mascis Jazzmaster w/ case with Seymour Duncan pickups + 50s electronics

Effects Pedals in Roadmaster road case:

Vox Clyde McCoy Wah Wah
Framptone Amp Switcher
Boss TU-3 Tuner Pedal
Fulltone Supa Trem Tremolo
Union Swindle Distortion
ZVex Super Duper Hard On
Diamond Memory Lane Delay
Dod Phasor
Fulltone Soul Bender
Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Robert Keeley Neutrino Auto Wah
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Power Suppy
George L Patch Cables

Amber Webber's Stolen Gear:

Sennheiser EW 300 IEM
Telefunken M80
Ultimate Ear UE 7 Pro
Ultimate Ear UE 900 Pro

In hard case mounted on a board with Velcro (hard case labeled "THIAGO"):

Akai MPC 1000
Roland JP-08 Keyboard
Art Stereo DI Box

Gretsch 14" x 6.5" hand hammered brass snare drum

Jeremy Schmidt's Stolen Gear:

Keyboards:

Moog 'The Source' Synthesizer w/ Anvil flight case
Manikin Memotron w/ custom wood chassis and Anvil flight case
Korg CX-3 (vintage model) in a custom wood case

Modules & Pedals:

Waldork Streichfett Synth Module
Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere MK II Pedal
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb Pedal
Boss Octave Pedal
Boss TV-2 Tuning Pegal
Eletro Harmonix LBP-1
5 Spot Daisy Chain Adapter
Nate Dort

Postby norse_code on Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:26 am

Very unlikely anyone here lives in Eureka/Arcata, California, but posting anyway on behalf of my cousin Leo. Any tips/suggestions on what he should do in the next several hours would be much appreciated. Pass it on to me or just email him directly: thevelvettouch.booking AT gmail.com

!!Heads Up!!!
My full pedal board and guitar got stolen tonight
Donner Tuner
Nuxx Modcore
Pedal Monsters Klon Clone
Mooer Green Mile over drive
Strymon Blue Sky
Voodoo Lab Tremolo
Line 6 DL 4
Mooer Noise Reducer
Fender Thin-Line Telecaster with lollar imperial neck pick-up and Seth Lover Seymour Duncan bridge pick-up
norse_code
sargent shriver
sargent shriver

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion