home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Fearsome And Mammoth Résumé/Cover Letter Help Thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: The Fearsome And Mammoth Résumé/Cover Letter Help Thread

Postby sparky on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:12 pm

I quite like what I've read of by Jon Moon, and he has some helpful templates and examples of CVs that made me realise mine was a cramped, ugly mess. You can grab them here.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!
sparky
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby madmanmunt on Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:14 pm

sparky wrote:I quite like what I've read of by Jon Moon, and he has some helpful templates and examples of CVs that made me realise mine was a cramped, ugly mess. You can grab them here.

Ugh! Why is his website so ugly? I will check out his templates, though.

I need a typeface for my CV. I'm thinking of Gill Sans, simply so that if it comes up in the interview I can talk about him (Eric Gill) copulating with his dog.
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Mason on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:24 pm

Mine is set in Myriad Pro and Minion Pro. They work well together.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby enframed on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:57 pm

madmanmunt wrote:
sparky wrote:I quite like what I've read of by Jon Moon, and he has some helpful templates and examples of CVs that made me realise mine was a cramped, ugly mess. You can grab them here.

Ugh! Why is his website so ugly? I will check out his templates, though.

I need a typeface for my CV. I'm thinking of Gill Sans, simply so that if it comes up in the interview I can talk about him (Eric Gill) copulating with his dog.

I'm sure you'll make the right call, but depending on your prospective employer, using a Gill typeface could open the door to many a topic of impropriety/immorality, including any of those committed by the Catholic church. Let us know how it goes.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby MatthewK on Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:56 am

enframed wrote:
madmanmunt wrote:I'm thinking of Gill Sans, simply so that if it comes up in the interview I can talk about him (Eric Gill) copulating with his dog.

I'm sure you'll make the right call, but depending on your prospective employer, using a Gill typeface could open the door to many a topic of impropriety/immorality, including any of those committed by the Catholic church. Let us know how it goes.

You could go stealth with Joanna - it's Gill, but not as famous, so anyone recognising it is implicating themselves:
MatthewK
doctor feelgood
doctor feelgood

Postby bumble on Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:39 pm

bumble
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Jodi S. on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:16 pm

enframed wrote:I've realized that I'm now old enough (42) that I feel like I need to remove dates from my resume because it gives away my likely age.

Same boat, but in my field, most of the people doing the hiring are the same age as I am, and much less likely to care about stuff like that.

See also: résumés organized by skill, not chronology. Good for hiding gaps in employment.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby lemur68 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Jodi S. wrote:
enframed wrote:I've realized that I'm now old enough (42) that I feel like I need to remove dates from my resume because it gives away my likely age.

Same boat, but in my field, most of the people doing the hiring are the same age as I am, and much less likely to care about stuff like that.

See also: résumés organized by skill, not chronology. Good for hiding gaps in employment.

Doesn't conventional wisdom say to only go back ten years or so anyway? And if you're new to a field, anything before that will be irrelevant to the position anyway.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Jodi S. on Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:18 pm

lemur68 wrote:Doesn't conventional wisdom say to only go back ten years or so anyway? And if you're new to a field, anything before that will be irrelevant to the position anyway.

Screw conventional wisdom

In my field, all the weird shit I've done in the past actually makes me a more attractive candidate.

YMMV.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby Mason on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:10 am

Friends,

I'm updating my résumé to include my current employer, but I don't know how to present that info tidily.

I've worked here for a couple years. Held one post for eight months, moved up to a related post for one month, then was moved abruptly to a much better but unrelated thing on a "thank god you're here, so-and-so just quit" basis. Started with glorified data entry, all volume quotas and memorization by rote; now it's all research and decision-making and all of it's done through e-mail. The Venn diagram of shared skills is an eight. But really, technically, all in the same area, all the same "project."

Listing and breaking down all these positions would make the entry lengthy and half-irrelevant (my current post is the only one I want to play up). Dropping a lesser position or two would create a big apparent gap in employment, and organizing by skill seems wrong for a résumé this small (I've only had one other gig, a retail thing, since school ended).

What might be the least awful thing to do here?
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby itchy mcgoo on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:45 pm

Mason,

A tidy way to do that is list the company, then all of the titles you have held there, followed by skills. You could explain the growth/promotion in your cover letter if you want. Myself and several friends have our CV's set up like that.

Looks like:

Goofball Jones

ORGANIZATION
Title 1
Title 2

-skillz
-skillz
-skillz

You could add dates next to titles if you wanted. I'd drop the one-month deal that you did to keep things tidy.
itchy mcgoo
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Major on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:21 pm

Perhaps this was discussed previously, so apologies if it's been asked/covered, but how would you suggest "hiding" education, or in my case, the lack thereof?

I've been doing what I do for roughly 20 years, am pretty good at it, but never finished college. The majority of positions I apply for have a minimum requirement for a bachelor's. Hasn't really been an issue so far, but I feel like maybe I've just been lucky.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby seanurban on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:26 am

Say you're taking a leave of absence if asked. You needed family time, whatever
List the years attended. Your major. Activities.
Maybe give them an expected grad date but that's about as far as I'd take it. Unless you're serious about finishing.
seanurban
King High

Postby the finger genius on Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:16 am

I'd probably combine multiple positions that are at least tangentially related. You can still list both titles, but list timings and skills under the same grouping.
jimmy two hands wrote:Then we all log off internet and eat nachos. All is well.

Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death
the finger genius
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Janeway on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:49 am

aw man, if i could see the real thing id be so specific. but the advice on here is all good already about how to handle education and multiple skill sets.

for education, keep it listed at the bottom and have volunteer work or skills above padding it out so its like, okay this dude was up to tis contribution stuff etc... skills will show intelligence where school is lacking. include langauges you speak and any thin credetials or certifications.

for adding the current jobs positions and accomplishments, i agree with the listing format, only rearranging to the new number order to read like a heroic novel of your mad skillz, kind like:

Goofball Jones

ORGANIZATION
Title 1, Title 2 1999-current
(the dates from padawan learner to jedi knight)

I am skillz-skillz-skillz, a skillsy skillz skillz. im skilled yo, cause you just read my skillz list written in sentence form and it looks like i can do alot and the last sentence makes me better than others in some unique-sounding way.

example:

Janeway

ROYAL BISHES UNITED
Jedi, Queen, Sentator, Crazy Old Wizard Wrangler, Padawan Learner 1999-current
(listing the highest position first and then going down the list)

As a Jedi Knight and Queen at Royal Bishes United, I employ the use of the force and busted up hands across the universe, gaining extensive diplomatic immunity and using a light-side tone to rule the galaxy with justice and peace principles to inspire and team lead various races from all over the galactic systems. My nine months of leadership beginning with becoming appointed senator combined diplomatic proficiency stemming from extensive years wrangling crazy old wizards, being a rigorous and intrepid padawan learner capable of weilding the lightsaber with extensive truth-defining force. Combined with the years of blind helmet training, interstellar communication, and blue home video sending, I provide peace seeking negotiations with regal class and a rainbow ever-changing wardrobe that puts me apart from all other jedi as a universal public servant.

notice i used the word "employ". this makes them want to employ you maybe. i also combined your one month, 8 months, and current job as just a full 9 months with this company. mention linearly how quicly youve moved up from data entry to filling a leadership role, and include how invauable they find you with the "thank god he's here attitude" cause thats a compliment you'll want reflected on your resume.

bottom line:
the meat of your skillz list should read like a fancier vesion of :
Successfully entering extensive data entry as well as all volume quotas and memorization by rote, I was granted further positional responsibilites in research and decision-making. The Venn diagram of shared skills is an eight, technically progressing my expertise to include greater areas of responsibility within this project, an asset to the production my superiors have deemed invaulable.

now, any cover letter woes? thats my fave
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Previous

Return to General Discussion