home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Why people like Apple stuff.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Why people like Apple stuff.

Postby johnnyshape on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26 am

On Apple Fanboi Day, I thought I'd share this extremely long article in The New Republic, an analysis of Steve Jobs and his career from a philosophical and design perspective.

In what is probably the best explanation of Apple’s astonishing appeal to consumers, Michl notes about the Bauhaus’s ideology that to be defined as a user worthy of the functionalist architect’s attention one had first to qualify as Modern Man, i.e., a person whose likes and dislikes were practically identical to those of the modernist architect himself. The functionalist references to users never suggested a readiness to consider the users’ wishes, demands, and needs on their own merits. The individual client, who until the arrival of modernism was thought to have a legitimate say in both functional and aesthetic matters, was now on his way to becoming an unperson. This was only logical: since forms were claimed to be intrinsic to functional solutions, there was no reason to take the form-or-function related preferences of clients and users seriously.

For consumers, to embrace such products was to embrace the higher spirit of modernity—a lesson that Steve Jobs understood all too well. Jobs famously expressed his utter indifference to the customer, who in his view does not really know what he wants. Apple’s most incredible trick, accomplished by marketing as much as by philosophy, is to allow its customers to feel as if they are personally making history—that they are a sort of spiritual-historical elite, even if there are many millions of them. The purchaser of an Apple product has been made to feel like he is taking part in a world-historical mission, in a revolution - and Jobs was so fond of revolutionary rhetoric that Rolling Stone dubbed him “Mr. Revolution.”

Don't forget to read about reality afterwards, as well.
Last edited by johnnyshape on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyshape
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Re: Why people like Apple stuff.

Postby subprime on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:01 am

I think this is sort of overthinking it. They have simple interfaces that are decent for web surfing, listening to music, and they seem to not get wrecked by virus' that plague a lot of people that don't understand how the internet works.
subprime
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby DanH on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:05 am

Yep, that is some overthinking right thur. I like Apple products because the first computer that I ever used was an Apple II in 2-3rd grade at school. A friend had a IIgs and then I got a Mac Cl from my dad. I have an iBook with a fucked up keyboard now.
DanH
robert rauschenberg
robert rauschenberg

Postby subprime on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:07 am

Apple keyboards are terrible. So flat. It feels too digital, I like the feel of an old ibm keyboard that actually makes sound when I mash it.
subprime

Postby enframed on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:10 am

So Jobs was an elitist, makes complete sense to me.

One sort of needs to distinguish between Apple and iPhone, too. Most people don't like Apple computers but still love their iPhones. According to the Wiki, Apple is used by less than 5% of the world and just over 10% of the USA.

I like the Apple keyboards cuz I'm a banger and these are quiet.
Last edited by enframed on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby LBx on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:10 am

subprime wrote:Apple keyboards are terrible.

I much prefer them. And the OS. Two simple reasons for my preference.

Would never pay full price for a brand new one though.
LBx
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby caix on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:31 am

I don't consider myself an Apple fanboy, but I really do love OSX and I think their laptops are top notch. I've had the same laptop for sometime now, I don't see the need to upgrade anytime soon.

I don't really like their phone OS, nor their phones. I don't buy into the "less is more" idea with the one button. It's more frustrating than anything else. On the laptops (trackpads) and the mice, they've managed to make them look like there is one button, when in fact they eventually conformed to having multiple buttons (or click options, if you will), because that is more useful than one do-all button.

I also despise almost everything about iTunes as a music/app managing program. Apple has certainly overstepped boundaries I'm uncomfortable with in this area. Since the iPhone is completely and totally bound to iTunes, this makes it even less attractive to me.

I do love gadgets. If the gadget works the way I want, I'll buy it/use it. I don't really care who makes it. I'd buy a different laptop if it had things that I feel outclasses the MacBook Pro.
I play bass in Fake Limbs.
caix
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby dontfeartheringo on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:40 am

What this forum really needed was another [etc etc, blah blah].....
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby i am the smud on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:45 am

subprime wrote:I think this is sort of overthinking it. They have simple interfaces that are decent for web surfing, listening to music, and they seem to not get wrecked by virus' that plague a lot of people that don't understand how the internet works.

My thoughts exactly. I like my iPhone because it's easy to use and it suits most of my needs (email, weather, gps, etc.) I don't consider myself part of some revolution, I'm not that shallow. I think it's awfully condescending of the author to make that assumption.
Last edited by i am the smud on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are all Romans unconscious collective/We are all Romans we live to regret it
i am the smud
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby punch_the_lion on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:47 am

I'm on my girlfriend's Macbook Pro right now. I like OSX as well. I'm a fan of Final Cut Pro and Garageband going back to my college days. Their laptops are built like tanks, unlike every PC I've ever owned which continually broke down for various reasons. Not Crap.
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby enframed on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:04 pm

dontfeartheringo wrote:What this forum really needed was another [etc etc, blah blah].....

Heh. Yeah, thank god the 20-page Doritos thread is back up top.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

Postby dabrasha on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Apple nuts today are pretty mild compared to years ago, when the user groups were like revival meetings.

I went to a couple BMUG meetings when I was a kid and found them helpful, despite the scary enthusiastic people.
dabrasha
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Mason on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:23 pm

I got a MacBook Pro last week when my ancient Dell died. I've been using PCs all my life, but started using OSX at work two years ago and really grew to like it. So I opted for a Mac this time around, especially since I'm starting to do a lot of graphic design and recording. I love it already – the OS is comfortable and intuitive and just works. Seriously, Windows has consistently dropped the ball since Vista whereas Apple seems to get better and better, so I'm not sure why I'd bother with Microsoft things at this point.

I'm not the type to buy it a case with a hole cut out for the Apple logo, though. Or call it "my Mac" when it's just "my computer".
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby cmay on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:29 pm

Yeah, their high quality, high reliable products are what I like. Also, they pretty much revolutionized technology of user interface a few times so far. First, with the mouse, then with multitouch/gestures on touchscreens, and most recently with Siri. I couldn't care less about spiritual-historical affiliation with Steve Jobs or some imagined 'elite'.
cmay
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace

Postby Ptommydski on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:29 pm

Apple is one of the most vivid realisations of capitalism, which is something we pretty much all involve ourselves with by choice. It's a fundamentally despicable economic model when observed from a global perspective. I always assume that one day we'll get what's coming to us for being so collectively irresponsible but it never seems to happen.

Apple products are possibly the worst of all because of the business and design ethos they embody, not to mention all the planned obsolescence stuff which they have virtually perfected. They're essentially media delivery toys which are made at the expense of near slave labourers in prison like conditions.

Still, to isolate Apple consumer electronics over all of the other vile tenements of Capitalism is reductionist. We're all culpable on some level.
Ptommydski

Postby Colonel Panic on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:47 pm

There's no doubt that Apple is an innovative company, but I feel that marketing is the main reason for their popularity.
All that glitters is not aluminum.
Colonel Panic

Postby greg on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:25 pm

As a computer- the macs that I've owned have always worked. They are easier to use, and are built much better than any other pc I've been exposed to. That's it for me. The compromise was always not having the same drafting, design, or other software written only for pcs. Most companies have come around now.
It's a shame they're built by slaves. If even as a shameless marketing, profit ploy they offered a version built in a humane way for $1000 more, I would consider buying it. The last laptop I got from them was a g4 powerbook, for $1200 in 2003. I used that until last year (burned 100s of DVDs, 1000 CDs, recorded concerts, bands, demos, traveled with it...). That works out to $150 a year. I had one hard drive quit on me, but that's it. I still use it in a backup location rig. It's slow by today's standards. I upgraded for more location recording power, speed and features. I'm expecting it too will last another 5 years. It was more or less the same price.
The iphone/android thing is a whole different disposable animal. It's incredible that people ditch them as fast as they do. The 3g, and 3gs versions can basically be had for free now. If you're fine being behind the curve by about a year or two, you basically never have to pay for one.
When they stop being as reliable, that's when I'll start looking elsewhere.
greg
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Isabelle Gall on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:42 pm

If I have to buy a new computer every four or five years I just want one that works and is well designed and comfortable to use. I'm sure I could build something cheaper and maybe approximate to that and avoid Microsoft entirely if I was some sort of computer hobbyist or enthusiast, but I partly hand over my money so that I don't have to be. I can understand why some people would have a problem with that sure, but every other computer other than a mac I've ever owned or used has been an aggravating piece of shit.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Ernest on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:54 pm

It's a good thing people don't know, or don't want to, build their own computers using win 7; apple would be out of business, or at least, scaled back to making toys for grown ups.

The fact that I can build a computer, buying individual parts, and grabbing win 7 for free, and getting an SSD, ram, new mobo, and in total pay only about $550, shits all over apple, and their clamp down on the options available to users.

I feel sorry for anyone who plunks down money on any apple product.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Tom on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:08 pm

Ernest wrote:I feel sorry for anyone who plunks down money on any apple product.

I don't know if I feel sorry for them, but I don't understand this notion that Windows or a simple Linux build is some infuriating device to use. It's not like we're comparing it to DOS or something. Apples are plenty easy to use. So is every version of windows I've used since 98 (granted I skipped over Vista). Hardware wise, my IBM clones have always held out longer than my Apples. Maybe it's just bad luck, but I don't use them any more because they have keyboard\power supply\ battery issues.
I've had problems with my non-apple computers too, but after 20 years, I'm only on my 3rd desktop, and I just got that a couple of years ago. Have I had to change stuff out or do upgrades? Sure, but that's easy enough.
circle_ruler wrote:Everything post Mesolithic is hideously decadent and carries the signature of tyranny.
Tom

Next

Return to General Discussion