home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Why people like Apple stuff.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Why people like Apple stuff.

Postby Me Again on Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:56 am

Am more curious now about what it can do, particularly what it can do that can't be done with something else.

If has a chromatic tuner to tune a guitar, I would assume most guitarists would already own one of those. If it has a light meter app, I would assume most cinematographers would already own a better light meter. If it has a drum machine or micro-synth I would assume most electronic musicians would already have superior software on their laptops. If it has GPS navigation, I would assume a lot of people who can afford to spend $700 on a phone would already have some form of that in their car.

Am not saying it doesn't have an array of uses, but I wonder how much of appeal lies in being able to do all of these things -- that could be done as well or better with other equipment -- with one pocket-sized device.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
roy campanella
roy campanella

Postby Janeway on Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:42 am

i still wish i had my flip phone.

i caved last year and finally got my first smart phone when i realized i needed gps for driving around the country, a camera cause I hadn't taken pictures in years of cool stuff you run into, and an MP3 player cause even my hanna montana cd player had gotten out of date ..

so I figured what the hell and conglomerated
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Janeway on Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:11 am

ps i should mention im still on ios7 i think it is .. i've never done an upgrade cause i don't have enough space on my phone cause of all my videos so..

i figure my phone still works, ill upgrade if i need to later
Janeway

Postby Me Again on Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:53 am

Janeway wrote: i've never done an upgrade cause i don't have enough space on my phone cause of all my videos so..

See, the appeal of having a phone with x-amount of available "data" that can be used per month, and stressing over "minutes" and updates....bah! Would rather use a rotary!
Me Again
roy campanella
roy campanella

Postby Janeway on Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:05 am

id rather have a payphone with a jar of dimes like "funny farm"
Janeway

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:17 pm

Me Again wrote:
Janeway wrote: i've never done an upgrade cause i don't have enough space on my phone cause of all my videos so..

See, the appeal of having a phone with x-amount of available "data" that can be used per month, and stressing over "minutes" and updates....bah! Would rather use a rotary!

Janeway's talking about storage space on her phone, which is all full of videos, not her data plan.

I inherited my girlfriend's old Samsung Galaxy S4 recently. I'm still trying to adapt to phone life... I always forget to take it with me and when I do have it, it never occurs to me to use it to do all the things it can do. I'm just not used to having one.

It's brilliant though. I think they are amazing. There's a fucking supercomputer in there, and that's not even the big bit - most of it's battery. 21st century technology is wizardry.

GPS maps - fucking brilliant! Shoot high definition video - fucking brilliant! Internet in your pocket? Fucking brilliant. It's a flashlight. It's a metronome. It's a fucking guitar tuner. TV remote control. Handheld game console. Sonic motherfucking screwdriver. Practically every single item of 20th century consumer electronics has been superseded by a single device smaller than a pack of cards. Anybody from the dawn of history up until a few years ago would have regarded a modern smartphone as the literal embodiment of the greatest thing ever, but nowadays people mostly moan about them.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby blackmarket on Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:21 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:GPS maps - fucking brilliant! Shoot high definition video - fucking brilliant! Internet in your pocket? Fucking brilliant. It's a flashlight. It's a metronome. It's a fucking guitar tuner. TV remote control. Handheld game console. Sonic motherfucking screwdriver. Practically every single item of 20th century consumer electronics has been superseded by a single device smaller than a pack of cards. Anybody from the dawn of history up until a few years ago would have regarded a modern smartphone as the literal embodiment of the greatest thing ever, but nowadays people mostly moan about them.

Yeah, but you don't need to spend $700 to do any of that. I can do all of on a $60 no-contract Android machine. I don't know off hand what the max resolution of video this thing shoots, so maybe not the video. I'd rather use my SLR for high-def anyway.
blackmarket
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Me Again on Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:59 pm

The ingenuity of the technology involved isn't lost on me. On that score, yes, such devices are pretty cool. You got me there.

More the issue is, do I want to carry all of that around in my pocket, all day everyday, and cultivate an interest in looking at a tiny little screen on the reg when I don't have to? Do I want to build up a dependence on such a device to the extent that I feel "lost" without it?

blackmarket wrote:Yeah, but you don't need to spend $700 to do any of that.

Right.
Me Again
roy campanella
roy campanella

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:03 pm

Me Again wrote:Do I want to build up a dependence on such a device to the extent that I feel "lost" without it?

He says while sitting in a house full of possessions. Don't get me wrong, I am old school as well and I have a house full of junk and books and records and fun obsolete machines. But future generations will be more mobile than us.

And human-machine symbiosis is our evolutionary destiny so may as well start to get used to it! This is just the beginning.

It's already changing the way we think - we use the internet like an extension of our memory. Sci-fi authors like to imagine a machine superintelligence emerging out of the internet; I think in some ways we already have a kind of superintelligence when you network a lot of people together in an organised way. The internet hive-mind can process a lot of information very quickly when it focuses its collective attention on something. We are yet to figure out how to tap into the full potential of this.

Me Again wrote:
blackmarket wrote:Yeah, but you don't need to spend $700 to do any of that.

Right.

I spent nothing. It's an old hand-me-down, and it's still amazing. Those high definition screens they have now look great. The cameras in the latest ones are much better though; the low light performance on the sensors has got so much better in the last two years. But wait another two years and they will be the old ones.
Anthony Flack

Postby jimmy two hands on Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:55 am

Samsung Galaxy explodes now when you plug it in. What are the other smertphones out there? Android? Are they any good? Do those have bad features like steal your lunch money or kick your dog or anything weird like that?
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Tom on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:36 am

I have an LG B470. No complaints at all. Battery lasts me about a week between charges.
circle_ruler wrote:Everything post Mesolithic is hideously decadent and carries the signature of tyranny.
Tom
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Pure L on Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:58 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:Samsung Galaxy explodes now when you plug it in. What are the other smertphones out there? Android? Are they any good? Do those have bad features like steal your lunch money or kick your dog or anything weird like that?

It's the Note 7 that's been exploding. Don't get that one.

I'm convinced that tried and true apple fans are either luddites or have an impressive amount of disposable income.

[dons flame suit]

Or both I suppose as I see no decent reason to buy into the proprietary connector game they've got running. Having to use fucking Itunes to manage all that bullshit on a competing OS (if you're a windows user) is no fun. If you're already a mac user you can bet that you'll be updated out of your current hardware soon enough too.

Androids just seem like a computer that does what you want it to do. They aren't without issues of their own but the money-grab just seems to be less of an issue.
Pure L
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby mookie1010 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:40 pm

*takes bait*

I was going through windows machines every 2-3 years before I bought my mac almost 5 years ago. If you want to buy a windows machine that has comparable hardware, you can, but you're not saving much money, and you're locked into windows, which is also inferior to OSx for my money.

There are things about Windows and Android that I prefer, certainly. And there are things about Apple that I do not like, but overall, I'm locked into the Apple world because they offer me ease of use that Windows and Android do not. All my digital music is organized, available and the same no matter where I am or what device I am using. All my movies, my notes, my pictures, my files.....all organized and easily available. My browser activity, my texts and calls, my contacts, they're all there on all devices with no effort. When I had to replace my phone because my dumb ass fell in the pool, I had a new phone in 1 day, and it was reconfigured with all my preferences within an hour. All these benefits and features seemed harder to set up with the windows/android/google platforms when I tried them because work gave me a free android. I am not inclined at this point to move to another platform - not worth the time or effort to me.

The Apple/Android thing is funny to me though. There are people who are absolutely *defined* by this preference on both sides.
mookie1010
marshall
marshall

Postby Adam P on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Dragging and dropping music from iTunes onto my iPhone is easy enough, even on my 8yo iMac. I don't even have to plug the phone in.
Adam P
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby blackmarket on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:34 pm

mookie1010 wrote:I was going through windows machines every 2-3 years before I bought my mac almost 5 years ago. If you want to buy a windows machine that has comparable hardware, you can, but you're not saving much money, and you're locked into windows, which is also inferior to OSx for my money.

If you were buying new Windows machines every two to three years, you weren't buying quality products. Blame yourself for that, not an operating system.

Users are hardly "locked into" anything with Windows, as there is a at least an order of magnitude more software available for any Windows Machine, as compared to OSX.

Want to put an SSD in an old Windows XP machine that doesn't support TRIM? Go for it. Manufacturers have software that will do the same thing (Windows only!). Conversely, Apple just phased out machines older than 2009 yesterday with the release of 10.12 and still has trouble supporting all the hardware in the narrow set of machines they themselves have designed.

Windows also supports MTP natively, so Android phones mount like any other drive for access. No antiquated and janky Android File Transfer app to get things on my phone. Apple makes quality products, but let's not pretend they are made for the masses. They are certainly elite devices that come at a premium price.

All my movies, my notes, my pictures, my files.....all organized and easily available. My browser activity, my texts and calls, my contacts, they're all there on all devices with no effort.

I might be old-fashioned (even paranoid). Having all that accessibility is a liability in my mind. At the most basic level, for security's sake, I don't want all my media and information everywhere and available on all my devices. I have my Apple and Windows computers networked locally at home for sharing video and music throughout the house and yard, but when I am out in the word, I want barebones info on my phone. The same if we had tablets.
blackmarket
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Pure L on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:58 pm

I have no real dog in this fight anyway as I'm a happy Linux user. I just see this discussion come up enough that, to me, there are indeed real-world, tangible differences between these OSs.

Truth be told, I have a Mac and a Windows computer at home as well and use either/or on the reg. (My Metric Halo 2882 has no working drivers on Linux...yet. Mac and Windows only.)

But after using and enjoying a free OS for so long that does everything mookie mentioned I see absolutely no reason to use proprietary devices.

And regardless of how each makes their money, Android simply seems more similar to this ethos than Apple:
A computer should do X.
"Hey, computer! Do X!"
[computer does X]
Pure L

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:20 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:Samsung Galaxy explodes now when you plug it in. What are the other smertphones out there? Android? Are they any good? Do those have bad features like steal your lunch money or kick your dog or anything weird like that?

Samsung Galaxy phones are Android phones.
Anthony Flack

Postby total_douche on Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:04 pm

iPhones have nibs and maple spacers for enhanced tone, duh.
total_douche
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby mookie1010 on Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:19 pm

blackmarket wrote:
mookie1010 wrote:I was going through windows machines every 2-3 years before I bought my mac almost 5 years ago. If you want to buy a windows machine that has comparable hardware, you can, but you're not saving much money, and you're locked into windows, which is also inferior to OSx for my money.

If you were buying new Windows machines every two to three years, you weren't buying quality products. Blame yourself for that, not an operating system.

I feel that I addressed this particular criticism...while there may be quality windows machines, they are few and far between. And they also cost as much as Apple products, which in the end made the decision easier for me. I apologize if I didn't make that clear originally.
mookie1010
marshall
marshall

Postby blackmarket on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:43 am

mookie1010 wrote:
blackmarket wrote:

I feel that I addressed this particular criticism...while there may be quality windows machines, they are few and far between. And they also cost as much as Apple products, which in the end made the decision easier for me. I apologize if I didn't make that clear originally.

I used Windows exclusively for years. I disagree. My wife and I have two Windows machines that are seven and nine years old, still used daily. The oldest machine is a Thinkpad T61, which might be on par with MacBooks from 2007, but I think in my configuration it slightly lesser where specs and hardware are concerned. The other notebook is a Dell 1440 from 2009, which is a piece of crap hardware-wise, but still runs and used daily for our child's cartoons. I never bought the best Windows machines. They all have lasted for a very long time and have worked well. I take care of my equipment. That may be part of it.
blackmarket
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion