home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Anybody into cooking?

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Anybody into cooking?

Postby Janeway on Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:40 pm

the family had a blowout earlier and i brought everyone together with my dinner, the fighting now is jokes about who gets however much leftovers to take to work for lunch tomorrow

my dream college is le cordon bleu in france but my gluten allergy ended that years go so the only thing on my bucket list was to learn to cook a cajun meal by a native with years of passed down secrets and i got to do exactly that last mardi gras when my husband sent me to a cajun cooking lesson and blah blah

this was my first time preparing and i nailed it, pain-saving red beans and rice and for dessert i just lazed out and bought an orange cinnamon sponge cake that tastes enough like a pecan bread pudding dream but airy and light to counter the heavy rice

okay so here it is:

cajun red beans and rice, not your sunday meal or jambalaya but way waaaay better

1. chop 2 small onions and 5 celery stalks (no carrots, this aint mirepoix, the carrots ruin the spices here) and put them in a medium heated and olive oiled pot and let them sit with sprinkled italian seasoning, turmeric, and janes crazy mixed up salt until their translucent and the whole house smells like delicious, let them shrink up and get almost crunchy

2. add in chopped sausage and ground black pepper and garlic powder, and a drained can of red kidney beans and again let sit awhile so the meat fries on the bottom layer and gets some color

3. in a separate pot boil rice and let cool halfway, then add to the big pot and more olive oil and let that fucker just sit there, you want that layer stuck to the bottom so when you scrape vigorously you get some crunchy fried rice

4. toss in a bay leaf or if you dont have one, just one leafy green like one spinach and let it sweat

5. when it smells amazing and you scoop to try some and half the rice sticks to the spoon, its done. serve in bowls and whoever gets the green leaf is stuck doin dishes.

just red beans and rice, but fucking the most amazng dinner flavors, its a secret trick to get to not be spicy, any idiot can throw too hott a spice, but this here with the turmeric and ground black pepper balance is just pure heat, with a rebel yell youll cry more its so fuckng good

can serve with bread pudding but airy cinamon orange sponge angel food cake is ultimate. if ever there was a meal that required milk this was it

damn i wish i could share this with you guys, its the best food in chicago truly, and its in my bowl and you cant have any. sorry guys, just me. but make it yourselves and youll see

Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Re: Anybody into cooking?

Postby Seby on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:46 am

My Thai green curry recipe:

For the curry paste:

1/2 teaspoon corriander seeds

1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds

6 white peppercorns

small piece of fresh turmeric

thumb-sized piece of galangal

4 coriander roots + bottom of stems

2 lemongrass stems (lower white parts, peel off the outer layer and discard).

1 long green chilli

10 small green chillis

4 kafir lime leaves

zest of 1 x kaffir lime

4 garlic cloves

2 small red shallots

1 times green stems of spring onion

1 teaspoon brown sugar

Now, pan/dry fry the cumin and coriander seeds then grind all of this up into a paste. Grind grind grind.

Then, heat some olive oil in a wok/pan, with a teaspoon of shrimp paste and several splashes of fish oil. Fry for a minute or so, then add the paste. Fry for another minute, just long enough to bring out the flavour, then add half a cup of coconut milk. Mix thoroughly at a good high temperature for thirty seconds or so. Then add 1 - 1.5 cups of water. Bring to boil.

Add all of your fresh vegies and tofu etc. etc. Anything you like really. Taste the sauce. If too salty, add lime juice. If too sweet, and fish sauce. if too bland, and lime juice _and_ fish sauce. If too thick, add water. If to watery, add coconut milk.

The final stage is _fast_. You dan't want it simmering on the stove or it will boil down and loose all of the flavour's fresh notes. The veggies are in there for 1/1.5 min max.

Hints -

- add the upper parts of the lemongrass stalks whole to the wok as you add the coconut milk.

- You might want to grate the galangal first, grinding it whole sucks.

- Some things grind together more easily than others. I start with the seeds and pepper corns. Then I do all of the roots/bulbs, then the chillies shallots spring onions stems and kaffir lime rind and leaves. The grinding takes about 20min. So get a big mortar and pestle. =) (or you can cheat and food-process the whole thing, but that would be lame).

nom nom nom....
Seby
jasper johns
jasper johns

Previous

Return to General Discussion