home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Problem With Music: Still a Problem (Cracker/CVB ed.)

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: The Problem With Music: Still a Problem (Cracker/CVB ed.

Postby Seby on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:41 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:So streaming is projected to take over everything by 2030... ok sure, I can buy that (or rather, I can't).

But performance rights and film and advertising licensing (other*), which have remained fairly constant until now, are projected to wither away to nothing also; why is that?

As for what they actually used for the inductive basis, I have no idea. I do not know if Goldman Sachs have made the methodology, or even the study itself, public.

But the projection itself is a fantasy of consultant mathematics. No one can see into the future. They would have run an induction on likely outcomes, and the one that the consultants published would be the one that had the highest credence. It is unlikely that they published, or even calculated, the second order credence. For all we know the published results were, although the most likely outcome out of the pool of possible outcomes, given only a 1.5% credence as being the most likely (and _its_ likelihood might only be 3%, for example).

Fake maths. Makes the world go 'round.
Seby
francis bacon
francis bacon

Postby Seby on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:38 am

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2017/01/24/e ... in-review/

Made a profit! A fact left out of the article in the previous FT post.
Seby
francis bacon
francis bacon

Postby landspeednyc on Sat May 27, 2017 9:02 am

Spotify Settles Class Action Lawsuits Filed By David Lowery and Melissa Ferrick With $43.4 Million Fund

http://www.billboard.com/articles/busin ... nd-melissa
landspeednyc
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby unsaved on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:08 pm

Rhett Miller whined in The Baffler:

Even though my own career benefited tremendously from the last gasp budgets of the old model, I’m not grandfathered out of the cynicism engendered by this new cutthroat world. As the old (and abundantly flawed) avenues of income are closed off entirely, our new music delivery system reroutes the great majority of returns from music-making back to the corporations.

Artists have never been good at maximizing the monetization of their work. And in the new money-challenged world of music, we’ve found ourselves cut out almost entirely. Even casual observers saw the shift from purchased music, which still managed to allot a small percentage of the profit to the artist, to music’s current state of literal worthlessness. Now the streaming services negotiate backroom deals with labels that dole out fees to artists in such minuscule sums that you would lose money by burning the gas it would require to drive to the bank to deposit the check in your account.

And the kids are listening on YouTube, a service that brilliantly shows advertisements before allowing the kids to consume their music. Does YouTube share the revenue generated by these commercials with the creators of the content? Does YouTube give the artists in question any say over whose ad might be attached to the art they created? Hell no. Why would they? They’re the Empire, remember? They’re just sitting in their dumbass Death Star counting their money.
Last edited by unsaved on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
unsaved
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby prowler on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:50 am

prowler
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Seby on Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:15 pm

prowler wrote:this Baffler piece is also good: https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-probl ... uzak-pelly

Hey, thank you for posting this! I would not have found it otherwise
Seby
francis bacon
francis bacon

Postby enframed on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:56 pm

I understand that people, not the artists, are getting rich from streaming. Is streaming any worse for the artist than radio was w/r/t compensation for play? I ask seriously.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Janeway on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:09 pm

anytime i want to, i can hear ode to joy. that is power. every olympic and nasa and other human accomplishment comes secondary to the fact that i can hear pure music instantly.

right now in this instant im int he mood for... paganini. lets see

oh and the classic, yes with jascha heifetz violin genius that... jeepers how much tickets mustve cost for folks back then and to be live at this show and brag to your family for a lifetime abotu it... and here we are spoiled in the future just time traveling 8) with the click of a google search ...

phpBB [media]

omg by 1:11 haha :WF:

and damn 3:22 punk is being invented

omg 3:48 is he kidding me? classic paganinni plucking at the violin like a banjo instead of a chamber instrument, you go boy! omg 5:17
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby givemenoughrope on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:09 pm

Things like streaming might mean that there won't be another Heifetz or LSO or Vlad Ashkenazi. I mean, I HOPE not...but it sure seems that way from here.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:22 pm

I dunno how much streaming is going to eat into the bottom line of organisations like the LSO... I would think most of their revenue comes from performances, recording session work for movie soundtracks and the like, and probably a hefty government arts subsidy.

If you think it's hard for musicians to monetise their art, imagine what it's like for poets and origami masters and interactive fiction writers. But they all still have thriving communities.

Yeah, the corporate takeover of the internet sucks, but from an artistic point of view it's not necessarily a bad thing for an art form to be completely unprofitable. Maybe even the opposite.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby prowler on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:54 am

i think FMrope was referring to potential new LSOs, not the existing one
prowler
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby projectMalamute on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:14 am

givemenoughrope wrote:Things like streaming might mean that there won't be another Heifetz or LSO or Vlad Ashkenazi. I mean, I HOPE not...but it sure seems that way from here.

When the LSO was founded the recording industry was in it's infancy. They existed as a working ensemble for a solid six years before making any recordings at all, and certainly did not depend on that income stream.

Lots of music got made before the advent of a recording industry. I'm betting lots of music will get made after. This isn't something to worry about. Good riddance.

Distributing recordings of audio is a solved problem. If someone half way around the world is interested in hearing a recording you made you can make that happen with the push of a button. At no cost to either you or the listener.

It blows my mind that anyone would be all 'fuck you, pay me' in this situation.
projectMalamute
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Previous

Return to General Discussion