home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

John Grabski III memorial page

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: John Grabski III memorial page

Postby MrMattDiehl on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:09 pm

I agree that Steve's eulogy/tribute should be the main thing, with the links to PRF thread, bandcamp, facebook, pictures, etc. at the bottom. That said, maybe in that bottom area there should be a further "links" page taking people to Everett True's post, Daily Swarm obit, and anything else that gets put out, so that it's all in one place.
MrMattDiehl
mike piazza
mike piazza

Postby drew on Tue May 01, 2012 7:03 am

I'm stood here at work, only having a passing familiarity of John/Teeth through this forum, and just finished reading Steve's words.

My co-workers are shooting odd looks over here, wondering why a grown man is fighting back tears at 6:51 AM on a Tuesday morning. See, I am in Western New York and write a blog based in Buffalo, which many of you may have heard of. Since reading John's story/thread here last fall I'd had a few thoughts to bring his story here, an hour from Rochester, to be celebrated. Now, that chance is gone while he still could have enjoyed it. Life is fucked but the story is beautiful.
drew
rookie
rookie

Postby Justin Foley on Tue May 01, 2012 9:39 am

Carl wrote:John's YouTube page is worth a link, especially this clip:

At 4:12 in this video, there's an amazing shot of them coming across the Indiana turnpike looking at the first sight of Chicago. Especially after the goofiness of the side of the road band bit prior, the shot is perfect. You can feel their excitement, nervousness, wonder and hope in that shot. I'm sure I'm reading too much into it, but it's go to be the feeling of "there it is, that's where we're going, that's where we are going to make this happen."

Fantastic.

= Justin
Justin Foley
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby mufkin taskellsz on Tue May 01, 2012 11:36 am

Wow. Amazing. And beautifully written, Steve and Mr. Grabski. Thanks for the inspiration.
Formerly Muffkin Taskells
mufkin taskellsz
intern
intern

Postby diego on Wed May 02, 2012 3:58 am

John's inspiration with Steve's words: very elegant and moving.

I do not see what else could be added to this page.
It should be simply spread out everywhere.
diego
the white ho
the white ho

Postby SecondEdition on Wed May 02, 2012 3:27 pm

This is pretty much as beautiful a tribute as anyone could ask for.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Loretta on Thu May 03, 2012 8:52 am

SecondEdition wrote:This is pretty much as beautiful a tribute as anyone could ask for.

sorry i just put this at first but i hate just quoting.
this just seemed perfect.
x
What you talking bout. Most fast food automatically rules on a base level. Like pizza. And blowjobs.
Loretta
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby dayz on Thu May 03, 2012 2:22 pm

I only ever lurk here from time to time anymore, but I remember reading about John here a few months ago. Back then I was terrified by the description of his ailments, wondering how I would spend my days under such dark prospects, questioning the way I actually do spend my days.

I'm glad to see that John was able to leave such a big impression on the people who were lucky enough to spend time with him before he was forced to go. And I think it's a wonderful demonstration of human kindness that so many people chimed in to help him leave an album of his music as an artefact and - more importantly - let him into their lives.

If I have learned one important thing by spending so much time on this forum, it is the confidence in the kindness of human nature.

I wish I could contribute to John's memorial page. But I can only say that I think The Strain is awesome, and that I'm glad he got to make it.
Michael Grafl
dayz
viceroy
viceroy

Postby Nico Adie on Fri May 04, 2012 1:09 pm

A tribute fitting of the man. Beautiful.
Nico Adie

Postby ugly_ukrainian on Sun May 06, 2012 10:24 am

i've read this article, have to say most of you didnt ever think about this up to the moment when albini wrote it. If i had no idea who is albini i'd believe he is forum's god or something. What a fuck you're talking about? Seems you have no idea what cancer is alike. You pay attention only when respected guy told that its important. 'Rock wins cancer' is the stupidiest illussion i've ever heard.
ugly_ukrainian
troll
troll

Postby lemur68 on Sun May 06, 2012 10:52 am

ugly_ukrainian wrote:i've read this article, have to say most of you didnt ever think about this up to the moment when albini wrote it. If i had no idea who is albini i'd believe he is forum's god or something. What a fuck you're talking about? Seems you have no idea what cancer is alike. You pay attention only when respected guy told that its important. 'Rock wins cancer' is the stupidiest illussion i've ever heard.

Cancer has to take Grabski but leaves this useless shithead alone.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Jodi S. on Sun May 06, 2012 11:53 am

ugly_ukrainian wrote:Seems you have no idea what cancer is alike. You pay attention only when respected guy told that its important.

Hey! Guy who's mostly lurked since 2011!

It is with great sadness that I report that members of this forum know all too well what that fucking bastard shiteating disease cancer is like. Many of them from the most personal of experiences: they've beaten it themselves.

So tell those people that they didn't pay attention to its gravity or importance.

Go ahead.

Do it.

I'm waiting.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby Frank Decent on Sun May 06, 2012 3:31 pm

Weird. Now cancer itself is actually trolling the forum. This is the only cancer you can actually ignore, though.
Redline wrote:The dead bodies on your mattress and the rubber sheets in your wardrobe should dampen the early reflections.
Frank Decent
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby ugly_ukrainian on Sun May 06, 2012 4:44 pm

it's just my point of view.
I didn't want to offend anybody.
Sorry if you get me wrong.
ugly_ukrainian
troll
troll

Postby Auntie Ovipositor on Sun May 06, 2012 9:41 pm

ugly_ukrainian wrote:i've read this article, have to say most of you didnt ever think about this up to the moment when albini wrote it.

You do know that there's a whole other thread about John, his diagnosis, and his music, right? He started it back in October. Most of got to know him to some degree then, not just when Steve posted something.

But more importantly, it's easy to be an asshole on the internet. Why not try something much harder, like not being an asshole.
The Loyalists are a rock band from Oakland, California
Auntie Ovipositor

Postby Mark Lansing on Mon May 07, 2012 1:49 am

I followed the thread on John as it was happening, but never commented because I honestly didn't know what to say. He was dealing with so much with such courage, clarity, fierce determination, and astonishing good humor that anything I could say seemed puny and inadequate. In essence, I was moved into an awed silence.

Reading Steve's memorial essay makes me feel roughly the same way, but I wanted to thank him for helping to share such a beautiful and powerful story with the world. Folks need to know and remember John Grabski III.
"Everything should be kept. I regret everything I’ve ever thrown away." -- Richard Hell
Mark Lansing
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby steve on Mon May 07, 2012 2:05 am

Mark Lansing wrote:I followed the thread on John as it was happening, but never commented because I honestly didn't know what to say.

I felt exactly the same way. John was better than anybody else at encapsulating his experience and I preferred reading his posts to trying to write my own.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Pasta on Mon May 07, 2012 9:34 am

ugly_ukrainian wrote:it's just my point of view.
I didn't want to offend anybody.
Sorry if you get me wrong.

Get Lost
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby Rachi on Tue May 15, 2012 10:56 pm

I don't have anything to add here. I would just like to acknowledge the fact that I sat here and shed a tear for John.
Rachi
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby total_douche on Wed May 16, 2012 3:07 am

I don't think there's anything I can say that won't sound banal or stupid, but if there's anything I can take away from reading all of this, it's that worrying about sounding banal or stupid is probably a waste of time.

I have been very guilty of never chiming in with a word of support or engaging in conversations about bad news, online and in real life. I've always felt that it's not my place and that there is nothing I can contribute to such things that wouldn't have a diminishing effect. Call it a lack of self-esteem. Call it a fear of sounding like an asshole no matter what I do. You could probably just call me an asshole. Those would all probably be true.

That's exactly why I didn't say much about this when I first read about it. All I could think was: "Man, this really sucks. This man is going to die. I have nothing to say of any real importance. It'd be best if I just shut my big stupid mouth and kept out of it."

Enter feelings of regret.

The more I read about him, the more I feel like I did when Dio died. "I wish I knew this guy."

If you're out there, John, you were a king among men, if for no other reason than facing death in ways that should make any average person feel (and look) like a total wuss. I can only hope that, when my time comes, I can face the reaper with the same courage.
total_douche
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion