home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The all encompassing Computer help thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: The all encompassing Computer help thread

Postby tbone on Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:55 pm

Did you say the drops only happen when wired up directly with an ethernet cable? If so the most likely culprit is a bad cable.

Either way, definitely just buy your own modem and router using the above wire wirecutter suggestions. That way you will not end up with a modem WITH LIVE COCKROACHES IN IT.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby LBx on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:34 pm

So... I just nabbed a 2nd generation airport express from a friend and had no problem hooking it up (after a hard reset) but it runs on one network while our everyday internet connect is on another. It must be possible to use one's everyday wifi connection and airplay simultaneously, ya? Without some kind of hack or $third party$ bullshit? What is the simple thing I am missing here?

I've previously used a 1st generation device without this problem and am kind of baffled. Trying to troubleshoot it but most of the info I find is not helpful or apple tv specific...
LBx
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby brephophagist on Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:36 am

If by "everyday internet connection", you mean "a different wifi network run by a different router/radio", then you can either:

a) extend the original wifi network by having the airport express essentially act as a repeater for it. to my knowledge this only works seamlessly (without hacks/3rd-party, as you mention) in an all-Apple wifi setup. Apple support article here.

b) configure the airport express to act as a client to the existing network, so it doesn't actually broadcast a second wifi signal, just provides airport-express services to the rest of the network. Relevant support article.

Unrelated gratuitous linkdump: Here's a StackExchange article that got passed around at work this week with tons of little OS X tips. The quarter-increment volume adjustment was new and useful to me.
brephophagist
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby LBx on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:44 am

Ya, that is what I mean. However:

a) I tried to extend and join to and from the initial network/non apple router with no luck. Tried with both Airport Utility 6.3.2 and 5.6.1. No dice.

b) Ethernet. Jesus Christ. Client mode can't happen wirelessly? I assumed so. Luddite, wishful thinking on my part. I guess I can dig thru the trash for one of those cables.

Really can't explain how this was not an issue with the older device though...
LBx

Postby tbone on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:51 am

It sounds to me like you plugged a router into a router. If you have a separate modem, assuming the goal is to just replace the old router, then you want to disconnect the old router from the modem and just plug the airport into the modem instead.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby LBx on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:21 pm

The thing is... I didn't have it plugged into anything. Didn't think I had too! It's hooked up now though as an airplay receiver only, as intended, and working fine but I'd really like to know how the previous (yet glitchy) 1st generation one I had was working (somewhat) without the ethernet hookup. Or at least that's how I remember it...
LBx

Postby weezy on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:19 pm

So my laptop has been giving me grief for months with latency and dropouts on my USB interface, and 2 other different interfaces I've tested in order to find the problem. I'm down to one USB port that isn't crapping the bed, but I don't know how long that is going to last.

Any recommendations for a replacement in case this overrated POS meets it's demise? I am ok with another laptop, but prefer a dedicated graphics card, don't need much else other than 500 gig or more fast HD and 16 gb of ram would be cool.

:smt006
weezy
inman jackson
inman jackson

Postby rappard on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:43 am

weezy wrote:So my laptop has been giving me grief for months with latency and dropouts on my USB interface, and 2 other different interfaces I've tested in order to find the problem. I'm down to one USB port that isn't crapping the bed, but I don't know how long that is going to last.

In my experience these symptoms are a preamble to the motherboard dying. So best to back up everything NOW.

weezy wrote:Any recommendations for a replacement

My usual ones: Asus, Dell, Lenovo.

weezy wrote:[...] prefer a dedicated graphics card

Why? Not being flippant, just curious.

weezy wrote:[...] than 500 gig or more fast HD

Really, go solid-state - it's a world of difference.
rappard
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby blackmarket on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:16 pm

weezy wrote:So my laptop has been giving me grief for months with latency and dropouts on my USB interface, and 2 other different interfaces I've tested in order to find the problem. I'm down to one USB port that isn't crapping the bed, but I don't know how long that is going to last.

Any recommendations for a replacement in case this overrated POS meets it's demise? I am ok with another laptop, but prefer a dedicated graphics card, don't need much else other than 500 gig or more fast HD and 16 gb of ram would be cool.

:smt006

Lenovo Thinkpads are good. My T-Series from 2007 is still going strong. Recommended.

My wife just got a new Macbook Pro. If you like Macs, I would avoid the 2017 models. The keyboards are very flat and feel weird compared to previous Apple keyboards. Not sold on the new "touchbar". It feels like a gimmick. Refurbished earlier models are probably a better buy (2015). The switch to all USB-C is another concern.

SSDs are the way to go, though I am not convinced that faster M2 drives make a difference. iMac with Thunderbolt-connected SSD (350MB/s write, 500MB/s read) and PCIe Macbook Pro SSD (1500MB/s write, 3000MB/s read) feel no different to me and boot in exactly the same amount of time. SATA SSDs are fine and are much less expensive.
blackmarket
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Tommy on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Getting a 4-5ish year old MacBook Pro given to me (I'm computer-less). Before doing so they want to wipe the computer and re-load the OS from scratch. Basically a factory reboot.

We know the admin password, but when trying to perform this function the prompt shakes it's head at us. The same admin password works for other things.

My bandmate floated the idea that he thought when he did something similar it had to be plugged in with an ethernet cable instead of wifi before he could get it to work. He can't remember for sure and I don't have a cable readily available. Sound plausible?

Ideas?
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:53 am

Maybe you do need to be plugged in, but that nuh-uh sign indicates that you don't have permission. Presumably it's saying you don't have permission to delete the root directory of the OS while the OS is running. It probably won't like that.

What you want to do is boot the Mac up in utility mode or whatever it's called. Hold command-R while it's booting I think? And tell it to wipe your startup drive and reinstall from there.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Facundo on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:12 am

Last time i had to re-install Mac OS i did the whole process connected to the wifi and it was like three years ago so I think it was before Yosemite.

You can start with Command+R (installs the same macOS version than the installed in your mac) or Alt+Command+R to updated to the latest version.
Facundo
redd foxx
redd foxx

Postby Tommy on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:27 am

Anthony Flack wrote:What you want to do is boot the Mac up in utility mode or whatever it's called. Hold command-R while it's booting I think? And tell it to wipe your startup drive and reinstall from there.

Facundo wrote:Last time i had to re-install Mac OS i did the whole process connected to the wifi and it was like three years ago so I think it was before Yosemite.

You can start with Command+R (installs the same macOS version than the installed in your mac) or Alt+Command+R to updated to the latest version.

Thanks! I bet this works.
Tommy

Postby blackmarket on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:29 am

Tommy wrote:Getting a 4-5ish year old MacBook Pro given to me (I'm computer-less). Before doing so they want to wipe the computer and re-load the OS from scratch. Basically a factory reboot.

We know the admin password, but when trying to perform this function the prompt shakes it's head at us. The same admin password works for other things.

My bandmate floated the idea that he thought when he did something similar it had to be plugged in with an ethernet cable instead of wifi before he could get it to work. He can't remember for sure and I don't have a cable readily available. Sound plausible?

Ideas?

It sounds like maybe you don't have the administrator password. OSX allows for multiple user accounts. The password you are using may be used to OK actions within the account, but may not grant full root privileges. If you aren't booting into Recovery Mode, you aren't doing it correctly. On startup hold down the option key or as described earlier, command + R. You don't need ethernet to reinstall the OS (new Macs don't even have an ethernet port), but you do need wifi. The machine will need to download parts of the OS from Apple's servers. Recovery partitions on Macs only hold so much.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314
blackmarket
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Tommy on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:00 am

blackmarket wrote:If you aren't booting into Recovery Mode, you aren't doing it correctly. On startup hold down the option key or as described earlier, command + R

We weren't. I think we were attempting something via System Preferences and it wouldn't let us. This is the root (pun!) of our problem. Thanks!
Tommy

Previous

Return to General Discussion