home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

amanda "$1.2m" palmer wants you to play with her for free

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: amanda "$1.2m" palmer wants you to play with her for fre

Postby motorbike guy on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:09 pm

subprime wrote:shes listing 20$ as the cost to make each LP. Fucking rediculous, is she going to the mob run factory?

plus she calls them "vinyls".

ick.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby subprime on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:11 pm

"

this is a long blog, but i have something important i’d love for you to read first.
save it for later if you have to, but READ IT. (a lot of you, especially the music-biz types, probably already have.)

it’s a now-famous piece of writing from the early 90’s by producer steve albini, entitled “The Problem With Music.”

in it, he basically explains why a famous touring band on a label is still fundamentally FUCKED once you do the math.

click HERE to read it."

this must be awkward
subprime
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby 154 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:13 pm

For someone taking such an anti-major label stance, her accounting skills are even worse.
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Wheely on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:14 pm

first i’ll pay off the lovely debt – stacks of bills and loans and the like – associated with readying all of the stuff that had to happen BEFORE i brought this project to kickstarter.
for the past 8 months or so, i wasn’t touring – and therefore wasn’t making much income – but every step of the way, there were expenses. so, during that time, i borrowed from various friends and family who i’d built up trust with over the years.

Also, you've helped her finance the 8 months prior to this project, when she was just, like, hanging out and borrowing from friends and family (sounds like her massively wealthy, famous husband isn't much help when it comes to living expenses.)

we had budgeted about $80k for four to five music videos

Punk rock, man.
new band: Halfwit // Facebook
old band: IC // IC Bandcamp
Wheely
retail therapist
retail therapist

Postby gonzochicago on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:14 pm

gonzochicago
the cheat
the cheat

Postby Auntie Ovipositor on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:20 pm

Sadly, Steve will lose this argument because tits. Everyone quotes him, then posts tits. Where's Betch when you need her?
Auntie Ovipositor
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby bleh. on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:22 pm

i'd like to point out that in the list above, she factors in payment for the designers and artists who helped out.
Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
bleh.
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby lemur68 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:22 pm

Auntie Ovipositor wrote:Sadly, Steve will lose this argument because tits. Everyone quotes him, then posts tits. Where's Betch when you need her?

steve wrote:transmission of booty juice via the dizz-hole

big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Adam Sr on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:24 pm

Auntie Ovipositor wrote:Sadly, Steve will lose this argument because tits. Everyone quotes him, then posts tits. Where's Betch when you need her?

Tits with Flaming Lips soundtrack means own goal, though. Draw.
Adam Sr
the white ho
the white ho

Postby jayryan on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:27 pm

yeah, i was going to point out that this thread is a news source:

http://stereogum.com/1151562/steve-albi ... ereogum%29
Hope I die before I get flu!
jayryan

Postby steve on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:28 pm

Well, since the new journalism is just re-posting what other people have lifted from message boards and twitter, there are probably going to be a hundred or so stories on the web with headlines like "Steve Albini calls Amanda Palmer an Idiot," so I'd better make my position on that clear. I don't think Amanda Palmer is an idiot, and it was rude and sloppy of me to make that impression. I'm sorry Amanda Palmer, the internet is going to tell you that I think you're an idiot, and while that's not true, it's my fault.

I Don't know Amanda Palmer, and don't recall ever hearing her music, though I hear a lot of music. Full disclosure, my wife Heather once tried to contact her through her agents to see if she would play at a charity event, but I don't know what happened with that other than nothing happened.

I have no problem with bands using participant financing schemes like Kickstarter and such. I've said many times that I think they're part of the new way bands and their audience interact and they can be a fantastic resource, enabling bands to do things essentially in cooperation with their audience. It's pretty amazing actually.

It should be obvious also that having gotten over a million dollars from such an effort that it is just plain rude to ask for further indulgences from your audience, like playing in your backing band for free.

Fuck's sake a million dollars is a shitload of money. How can you possibly not have a bunch laying around after people just gave you a million dollars? I saw a breakdown about where the money went a while ago, and most everything in it was absurdly inefficient, including paying people to take care of spending the money itself, which seems like a crazy moebius strip of waste.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Colonel Panic on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:31 pm

Amanda Palmist wrote:[...]we have to factor in about $15-20k to pay our design team to actually design all this stuff, and to make it super-duper amazing and worth your money. those of you who supported mine and Neil’s last Kickstarter know what i’m talking about here. this CD is gonna be a super-deluxxxxxe work of art.
the neil and kyle books are going to cost us a LOT of dough to create…(edited after speaking with kyle) let’s say about $300/copy for about 100 copies…that’s 30k.

I also noticed she forgot to itemize $2.99 for a pack of Lady Bic razors.

Has anybody mentioned how disgustingly patronizing it is to call this project "Grand Theft Orchestra"? Like somehow, framing it as some kind of an inside joke makes it less tacky.

Not bad for a base publicity stunt, though.
All that glitters is not aluminum.
Colonel Panic

Postby Adam Sr on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:42 pm

Out of interest, Steve, since you use your own example to denounce the kickstarting of artists' endeavours as a compromising of their independence, how do you square that with Tim's efforts to similarly raise money to pay off your studio's mortgage?
Adam Sr
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Larry_Crane on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:45 pm

I do want to see someone fan-source a tour bus driver, sound person and catering.
Larry_Crane

Postby BadComrade on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:47 pm

Her breakdown of where the million dollars will go blows my fucking mind. The tiny part Col. Panic quoted above doesn't even come close to showing how absurd this woman's reasoning is.

Alright, I have to go start a kickstarter page right now to pay my sole employee and you know, get a new carpet for my record store because the old one has holes in it and, I know, I could just get cheap tile but do my customers really wanna walk around on a hard tile floor? Oh, maybe I should get wood floors with the name of the store inlaid in them right after you open the door. Oh, and I should do something about the lighting in here, it's kind of "harsh" and it would be great if I had a lighting designer come in here and change the lighting so the mood is more conducive to hanging out and spending money and, well I guess I should put in a bunch of listening stations and I don't want to use crappy headphones that take away from the experience of the music as it was intended to be heard by the artist so I'm going to have some of those expensive "Beats by Dre" headphones and I better get like 10 because you know that they are going to break eventually and well I guess I should hire a few more staff to change the light bulbs when they go out because I don't want the place to look weird once they start burning out and I guess I can employ some other people to "stage" product so the CDs on display are changing every day and it would be cool to have some sort of feng shui thing happening in here with the racks (sort of like how grocery stores rearrange all of their products on you every once in a while to keep you in the store longer looking for shit). Man that's gonna cost a lot of money I need all that stuff so my customers are happy when they come in here to give me money for stuff I'm selling it's totally gonna be worth it to enhance their customer experience. Oh I almost forgot I need a bunch of like $10 each burlap shopping bags that have the store logo silkscreened on them and I'm gonna need like 10,000 of those and I'm gonna have to pay someone to screen them and for the supplies and the shipping because I need all this stuff I can't just operate a regular store the market has changed and I have rent to pay.
I play a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Boombats on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Larry_Crane wrote:I do want to see someone fan-source a tour bus driver, sound person and catering.

I would be happy to do all three for a really sick band like Neurosis or something, as long as I do not have to provide gas, ass or grass.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby steve on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Adam Sr wrote:Out of interest, Steve, since you use your own example to denounce the kickstarting of artists' endeavours as a compromising of their independence, how do you square that with Tim's efforts to similarly raise money to pay off your studio's mortgage?

I like kickstarting of band endeavors for people who want to use it. I don't use it myself, that's all. I think Tim's gesture and the support it got were both humbling and extraordinarily generous, and evidence of great good will among peers.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve

Postby Maurice on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:51 pm

Larry_Crane wrote:I do want to see someone fan-source a tour bus driver, sound person and catering.

"Oh, fan-sourced waiter? How long has this fan-sourced fois gras been sitting? I see. Please sear me a fan-sourced flank steak instead--rare. And please, another bottle of fan-sourced chablis."
snwv | yoctonaut | other music | other stuff

::: wrote:GODDAMN KIDS ALL HOPPED UP ON GOOFBALLS AND THE DANGED BLEEP-BLOP MUSIC

Angus Jung wrote:My Scathing Yelp Review Didn't Change Anything
Maurice
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby numberthirty on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:01 pm

Colonel Panic wrote:
Amanda Palmist wrote:[...]we have to factor in about $15-20k to pay our design team to actually design all this stuff, and to make it super-duper amazing and worth your money. those of you who supported mine and Neil’s last Kickstarter know what i’m talking about here. this CD is gonna be a super-deluxxxxxe work of art.
the neil and kyle books are going to cost us a LOT of dough to create…(edited after speaking with kyle) let’s say about $300/copy for about 100 copies…that’s 30k.

I also noticed she forgot to itemize $2.99 for a pack of Lady Bic razors.

Has anybody mentioned how disgustingly patronizing it is to call this project "Grand Theft Orchestra"? Like somehow, framing it as some kind of an inside joke makes it less tacky.

Not bad for a base publicity stunt, though.

This is where I have to disagree. I love David Mack's work. If other people who see he's involved want to pay so he can get paid, I don't see the big deal.

I've got the album. She didn't skimp on the packaging.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby Adam Sr on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:08 pm

steve wrote:
Adam Sr wrote:Out of interest, Steve, since you use your own example to denounce the kickstarting of artists' endeavours as a compromising of their independence, how do you square that with Tim's efforts to similarly raise money to pay off your studio's mortgage?

I like kickstarting of band endeavors for people who want to use it. I don't use it myself, that's all. I think Tim's gesture and the support it got were both humbling and extraordinarily generous, and evidence of great good will among peers.

I think so too, but then I think all supporting of artists is humbling/generous/awesome, and I don't think asking for support is 'stooping', nor is it necessarily a compromise of self-sufficiency/independence, any more than Electrical would be compromised for Tim and the community's gesture.

Whether the above is true in the particular case of Amanda Palmer, I don't know, but it's clearly not necessarily true.
Adam Sr
the white ho
the white ho

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion