home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

amanda "$1.2m" palmer wants you to play with her for free

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: amanda "$1.2m" palmer wants you to play with her for fre

Postby subprime on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:42 pm

amelia wrote:
subprime wrote:
amelia wrote:Maybe she hasn't received the money yet. Are you all her accountants? 1.2 million isn't that much money these days. I'm not a fan or anything, but it just seems tacky that you all care so much about someone you don't even admire. Part of me thinks that most of the hostility toward her is subconsciously based on her being so free with her body/nudity.

people regularly make albums that are better than anything she has ever produced for less than a 200th of that.

I agree, there have also been quite a bit of shitty records done for way more =o/

No shit. The point of the kickstarter is to fund the ALBUM, not her personal life. Its so that the person doesnt have to take money out of their day to day expenses to put out an album. There is no way you can use up 1.2m on a single album/tour and not have some money left over to pay the background orchestra, unless of course she is an idiot, which is likely the case.
subprime
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby subprime on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:42 pm

additionally, the fact that part of the money was going specifically to promotion is fucking gross.
subprime

Postby squarewave on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:46 pm

squarewave wrote:
givemenoughrope wrote:$1.2 mil to record and promote an album. Jesus Christmas.

$1.2M and I have not heard her name or her music before now (that I am aware of).

When I saw this on some FB posts, I thought it was a reference to the dead girl from Twin Peaks.

That better be one hell of a record, because the 'promotion' side of this endeavor wasn't for shit.

I watched the link above.
The music portion couldn't be farther from my wheelhouse unless it contained a screamo breakdown or some wubs. The video was kind of clever, so B- for that effort.

I am done caring about this now. Thanks for the short distraction.

Also, (to Amelia)
I could live the rest of my entire fucking life on the proceeds of having $1.2M dropped in my lap today. To be clear, I don't mean living the way I am today, I mean living it WELL.
rocker654 wrote:(regarding jail) I can't recommend it. The toast is too rubbery, and the bellboys have too much snotty attitude.

steve wrote:I haven't heard your band, and you might not want me to.
squarewave
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby numberthirty on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:46 pm

amelia wrote:
givemenoughrope wrote:She isn't "free with her body/nudity" so much as it's obviously part of her schtick. But I guess it's wrong to call attention to or make light of it because I'd be offending all women. Right.

I didn't know it was part of her schtick. Regardless, if you wanna be a pig about it, go ahead, everyone else is. Do you...

I kicked in on the record. In the deal, I got a 3-D viewer with the band in the view. Homegirl is topless. I'd say shtick is a safe bet.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby benadrian on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:48 pm

I don't know if anyone has expressed what I'm about to say. If so, I apologize for the repetition.

Here's what bothers me. An artistic musician goes onto Kickstarter to ask for funding. She is essentially saying that she is an artist who believes in her art and she would like your patronage. Her fans, who love her, give her a huge amount of money to make this art. Fair enough.

So she makes this art and now wants to take this show on the road. So, she petitions her fans who are also artists. She could easily say something like, "thank you for patronizing my art, I would like to patronize the musically artistic fans of mine throughout the country by hiring them to sit in with me." Instead her actions say, thank you for valuing my art, which I think is great. I would like you to give me some of your artistic ability. Since you will pay me to be creative, but I won't pay you to be creative, i believe that my art has more value and worth than your art and abilities, and i don't see my fans as equals, but rather as a resource to exploit to make my important musical art.

Intended or not, it's a gigantic slight to her fans, and it's even more insulting considering that her fans wen above and beyond to fund her album and tour; I would expect some above and beyond behavior in return.
benadrian
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby givemenoughrope on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:50 pm

She's whining and rolling around naked but for ink and muck in that video. But i guess a pig does these things innately and without any thought of Kickstarter, etc.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby 154 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:50 pm

subprime wrote:additionally, the fact that part of the money was going specifically to promotion is fucking gross.

Bingo. It's becoming apparent that 'promotional materials' may have exceeded $100,000 in this case, and only an egotistical, wasteful shitbag would find that appropriate.

As far as the whole "you're not a fan so why do you care anyway?" thing, maybe this is a cautionary tale of what can happen when donating your money to a system with zero accountability. Have fun with that KS crap.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby givemenoughrope on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Ben, that is essentially the complaint. Even sans the $1.2 mil, she ought to cover their costs or something. With it, it's just a joke.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope

Postby squarewave on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:54 pm

amelia wrote:
squarewave wrote:Also, (to Amelia)
I could live the rest of my entire fucking life on the proceeds of having $1.2M dropped in my lap today. To be clear, I don't mean living the way I am today, I mean living it WELL.

some people have been spoiled, have huge egos and are hooked on drugs.

I agree. I have never been spoiled. :)
rocker654 wrote:(regarding jail) I can't recommend it. The toast is too rubbery, and the bellboys have too much snotty attitude.

steve wrote:I haven't heard your band, and you might not want me to.
squarewave

Postby 154 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:56 pm

amelia wrote:I don't really care at this point. Some dude I don't know on the internet is all hostile toward me for doing absolutely nothing to him. lol

Well you did accuse a group of relative strangers of being sexist pricks so there's that..

(foe list)

Postby benadrian on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:59 pm

givemenoughrope wrote:Ben, that is essentially the complaint.

I feel that it is. I just didn't see any posts in the thread that clearly stated it fully and in one post. If there was one, I missed it.

I'll be in the Tech Room if anyone needs me :)
benadrian

Postby jeff_fox on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:01 pm

154 wrote:
amelia wrote:I don't really care at this point. Some dude I don't know on the internet is all hostile toward me for doing absolutely nothing to him. lol

Well you did accuse a group of relative strangers of being sexist pricks so there's that..

(foe list)

That's amelia's cycle.
-shows up in a thread, makes accusations of sexism, insensitivity.
-gets offended once everyone reacts to the accusations.
-claims we have a mob mentality.
-backpedals and makes friendly comments like 'I still love you guys'.
-repeat
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox

Postby subprime on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:04 pm

Hey its like that one thread a little while ago all over again, now there will be a back and forth of "Im not replying anymore" betweeen two parties until they lose interest and the thread goes back to the original topic!
subprime

Postby tallchris on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:42 pm

benadrian wrote:I don't know if anyone has expressed what I'm about to say. If so, I apologize for the repetition.

Here's what bothers me. An artistic musician goes onto Kickstarter to ask for funding. She is essentially saying that she is an artist who believes in her art and she would like your patronage. Her fans, who love her, give her a huge amount of money to make this art. Fair enough.

So she makes this art and now wants to take this show on the road. So, she petitions her fans who are also artists. She could easily say something like, "thank you for patronizing my art, I would like to patronize the musically artistic fans of mine throughout the country by hiring them to sit in with me." Instead her actions say, thank you for valuing my art, which I think is great. I would like you to give me some of your artistic ability. Since you will pay me to be creative, but I won't pay you to be creative, i believe that my art has more value and worth than your art and abilities, and i don't see my fans as equals, but rather as a resource to exploit to make my important musical art.

Intended or not, it's a gigantic slight to her fans, and it's even more insulting considering that her fans wen above and beyond to fund her album and tour; I would expect some above and beyond behavior in return.

This is a great post Ben, and accurately sums up my feelings on this whole matter.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby rchapman75 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:44 pm

http://www.factmag.com/2012/09/13/amand ... -an-idiot/

We've made it across the pond! Time to welcome all our new Limey readers and explain that the 'selling meth and blowjobs' comment was actually a semi-insidery reference to the recent Gathering of the Juggalos and not a direct dig at AP's fans.

Carry on!
--Bob Chapman

I sometimes play with the PRF Improv Ensemble
I used to play trombone in Gestures

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." -Friedrich von Schiller
"The obstacles in our path are our path" -Rolf Gates
rchapman75
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby 154 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:48 pm

He should totally change his avatar tag to "misanthropic superproducer".

Postby jimmy two hands on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:56 pm

Christopher wrote:
scntfc wrote:
Christopher wrote:
They also referred to the money Ms. Palmer had raised. But in the interview, she stressed that most of it went toward recording expenses and the costs of promotion and touring.

Pure bullshit. I'd like to see an itemized, Louis C.K.-style breakdown of the 1.2 million and why it cost that much to record, promote and tour with nothing left over to pay her Cirque du Soleil backup band or whatever.

there's a breakdown somewhere on her site.

Link? This should be good.

Here. She should work for the Pentagon and help them buy $1000 slingshots.

Maybe she'll read this thread and take out the part about "The Problem with Music".
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby subprime on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:57 pm

shes listing 20$ as the cost to make each LP. Fucking rediculous, is she going to the mob run factory?
subprime

Postby bleh. on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Amanda Palmer wrote:here’s some very back-of-the-napkin costs to manufacture the goods, with a rough estimate of about what we’d have sold if we got to a million.

7,000+ high-end CD-books & thank you cards cost about $15 a package to manufacture and ship. that’s $105,000.
1,500+ vinyls & cards, at about $20 to manufacture & ship…about $30,000
2,000+ art books (bearing in mind the shipping on those, every time they need to be shipped from the plant, to the distributor, to YOU, plus the signing, is killer) will cost us roughly $80,000.
PLUS we have to factor in about $15-20k to pay our design team to actually design all this stuff, and to make it super-duper amazing and worth your money. those of you who supported mine and Neil’s last Kickstarter know what i’m talking about here. this CD is gonna be a super-deluxxxxxe work of art.
the neil and kyle books are going to cost us a LOT of dough to create…(edited after speaking with kyle) let’s say about $300/copy for about 100 copies…that’s 30k.

if we sell about 100 turntable packages: ordering the tables, paying the artists to paint them, shipping all that stuff around: ballpark another $15k.
arts & crafts/7-inch packages, if we sell about 300 of them, adds about another $30k (we’re planning on spending roughly $100 each on the packaging for those, including not only the vinyl but the fun arts-and-crafts activities. oh, and postage/shipping x5)

to take the band on TOUR to six cities and install the art shows is probably going to break even, but if they don’t sell out (looks like some won’t) we might eat it a little bit on that art tour. let’s say we wind up not selling out berlin and LA. we still have to pay to fly the band, gear, art (carefully!!!) and crew to each city. that difference might sink us about $10k.

i’ll be able to wrap some of the house parties into a regular tour, but a lot of them i’m going to need to fly to or otherwise get to. 35 parties. let’s assume i crash on couches and with friends and don’t even stay in hotels…and let’s assume the flights are cheap and i only have to fly to 20 of the 35, with average airfare from place to place being $500. that’s $10k.
Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
bleh.
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Ernest on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:05 pm

Jesus, she's actually worse with money than Madoff.

Her snizz, out or covered, isn't the issue.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion