home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

amanda "$1.2m" palmer wants you to play with her for free

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: amanda "$1.2m" palmer wants you to play with her for fre

Postby dontfeartheringo on Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:25 pm

Clyde wrote:Yeah, I guess my question was something more along the lines of:
how easy it it to get publisher's to forgo their cut when the proceeds are going to charity? Is it standard or a big deal? I wonder as well if they might have been more willing to give up their share if the AFP had committed to giving all profits to charity, not just the first month's?

The responsibility of the publisher is not to create revenue for charity. It's to collect publishing royalties owed to the artist (or the artist's estate). Anyone could (and likely many will) perform Bowie songs in venues and on radio, and will release Bowie tributes on various recorded media. The royalties will automatically be processed by ASCAP or BMI or whoever holds the rights, and paid to his own publishing trust, whatever that is. There's no flow control at BMI or ASCAP. They collect on the rights to the composition, regardless of the intentions of AFP. Then Bowie's publishing company will receive those royalties, minus ASCAP or BMI's cut, and distribute them to Bowie's estate.

If Bowie's estate wishes to distribute them to various cancer charities, then that's up to them. If they choose to make a big deal of giving one month of those royalties to the American Cancer Society or Hospice (a whole month! Whoo!) then again, that's on them.

But a career grifter like AFP doesn't get to dictate what the Bowie estate does with the proceeds from his intellectual property. I mean, you have as much of a right as she does to make a recording of Bowie songs and declare that for one month you're going to give the proceeds to Cancer America Survivors Helpline. Hundreds of people will, I'm sure. That doesn't change the publishing relationship in the slightest.
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:08 pm

dontfeartheringo wrote:The "first month of sales" bit is galling. This is revenue harvesting disguised as charitable works. Especially rich considering the source.

And the fact that her Paetron sponsors already paid her to make it. No mention of any of that money going to charity.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Tommy Alpha on Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:18 am

thuggyBear wrote:I love Neil Gaiman just a little bit less for being married to her.

Probably should read all of Sandman again.

As much as I liked Sandman as a teen, it's pretty fitting they got together.

I always thought The Maxx was better, FWIW
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Arson Smith on Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:27 pm

Arson Smith wrote:Also, with regards to Anusol Commemorative...

SEVEN. YEARS. is a long time.

After SEVEN. YEARS. tastes may change and you don't even like that music anymore.

Hell some people who donated SEVEN. YEARS. ago might have died in the meantime!

SEVEN. YEARS.

Think of all the kickass stuff y'all folks have accomplished in the last SEVEN. YEARS. then imagine some doude spending same amount of time to NOT accomplish a thing.

SHEESH.

FMP
My mind, it's a terrible diskette.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:55 am

Arson Smith wrote:
Arson Smith wrote:Also, with regards to Anusol Commemorative...

SEVEN. YEARS. is a long time.

After SEVEN. YEARS. tastes may change and you don't even like that music anymore.

Hell some people who donated SEVEN. YEARS. ago might have died in the meantime!

SEVEN. YEARS.

Think of all the kickass stuff y'all folks have accomplished in the last SEVEN. YEARS. then imagine some doude spending same amount of time to NOT accomplish a thing.

SHEESH.

FMP

!
VaticanShotglass
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby cjh on Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:56 am

"She walked out on stage in a Bernie Sanders T-shirt, holding a ukulele aloft as though it were the Olympic torch. Then she held up a book in her left hand, another symbol of triumph. It was Margaret Wise Brown's classic children's book, "Goodnight Moon," which she took to be a talisman for peace and healing.
She kicked off the first show of her American solo tour by sitting down in a center-stage chair and pouring herself a glass of red wine. Clearly reeling from Tuesday's election results, she explained, "My plan is to read you 'Goodnight Moon' for two hours if I have to, until we all feel OK." And then she read the book to the crowd as though it were bedtime story hour, even recruiting a page-turner from the audience.
She played a few songs on her ukulele ("In My Mind" and "Do You Swear to Tell the Truth, the Whole Truth...") and then moved over to the grand piano for a couple more (the cathartic "The Killing Type" and the waltz-time "The Bed Song"), frequently interrupting the songs with asides or lyrical lapses.
Then came another reading of "Goodnight Moon."
A few more piano songs (the piano-pounding "Lost" and "Delilah") before someone in the audience broke the news that singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen had died. Palmer collapsed to the stage, weeping quite uncontrollably.

Palmer's husband, author Neil Gaiman, who was sitting in the front row with their year-old son Anthony, stepped up onstage to read "Goodnight Moon" (take three) while Palmer gathered herself.
Palmer recited the lyrics to "My IQ" by Ani DiFranco, whose concert she had attended at The Egg the previous evening. Then she invited representatives of Planned Parenthood and the New York Civil Liberties Union onstage to give speeches.
In honor of Gaiman's birthday, Palmer brought out a marching band bass drummer, a baton-twirling cue-card holder and a trumpeter in a white jumpsuit, mask and alien antennas to perform a medley of David Bowie songs and a chorus of "Happy Birthday."
More songs on the uke ("Map of Tasmania" and the soul-baring "Bigger on the Inside") and the piano ("Coin Operated Boy" and "Half Jack," both from her Dresden Doll days). Then a stunning cover of John Grant's majestic ballad "Glacier" and a zippy romp through her playful, hopeful "Ukulele Anthem."
And then finally after more than three hours of rambling, roller coaster emotions, she wrapped up the night with an elegiac, broken-hearted, tear-stained rendition of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah."
"You're going to be OK," she said softly as she left the stage"
cjh
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby 154 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:19 am

And you thought 2 minutes of Kate McKinnon was bad, FM kerble..
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Tom on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:01 am

cjh wrote:
"She walked out on stage in a Bernie Sanders T-shirt, holding a ukulele aloft as though it were the Olympic torch. Then she held up a book in her left hand, another symbol of triumph. It was Margaret Wise Brown's classic children's book, "Goodnight Moon," which she took to be a talisman for peace and healing.
She kicked off the first show of her American solo tour by sitting down in a center-stage chair and pouring herself a glass of red wine. Clearly reeling from Tuesday's election results, she explained, "My plan is to read you 'Goodnight Moon' for two hours if I have to, until we all feel OK." And then she read the book to the crowd as though it were bedtime story hour, even recruiting a page-turner from the audience.
She played a few songs on her ukulele ("In My Mind" and "Do You Swear to Tell the Truth, the Whole Truth...") and then moved over to the grand piano for a couple more (the cathartic "The Killing Type" and the waltz-time "The Bed Song"), frequently interrupting the songs with asides or lyrical lapses.
Then came another reading of "Goodnight Moon."
A few more piano songs (the piano-pounding "Lost" and "Delilah") before someone in the audience broke the news that singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen had died. Palmer collapsed to the stage, weeping quite uncontrollably.

Palmer's husband, author Neil Gaiman, who was sitting in the front row with their year-old son Anthony, stepped up onstage to read "Goodnight Moon" (take three) while Palmer gathered herself.
Palmer recited the lyrics to "My IQ" by Ani DiFranco, whose concert she had attended at The Egg the previous evening. Then she invited representatives of Planned Parenthood and the New York Civil Liberties Union onstage to give speeches.
In honor of Gaiman's birthday, Palmer brought out a marching band bass drummer, a baton-twirling cue-card holder and a trumpeter in a white jumpsuit, mask and alien antennas to perform a medley of David Bowie songs and a chorus of "Happy Birthday."
More songs on the uke ("Map of Tasmania" and the soul-baring "Bigger on the Inside") and the piano ("Coin Operated Boy" and "Half Jack," both from her Dresden Doll days). Then a stunning cover of John Grant's majestic ballad "Glacier" and a zippy romp through her playful, hopeful "Ukulele Anthem."
And then finally after more than three hours of rambling, roller coaster emotions, she wrapped up the night with an elegiac, broken-hearted, tear-stained rendition of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah."
"You're going to be OK," she said softly as she left the stage"

Jesus fuck...
Fine. Trump 2020.
Tom

Postby free meat on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:09 am

Scenes like that have you wishing that Hitler had won the war.
free meat
ubu roi
ubu roi

Postby morespaceecho on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:13 am

who could possibly sit through that?
morespaceecho
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby Boombats on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:27 am

free meat wrote:Scenes like that have you wishing that Hitler had won the war.

What makes you think he didn't?
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Tom on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:53 am

Boombats wrote:
free meat wrote:Scenes like that have you wishing that Hitler had won the war.

What makes you think he didn't?

Yeah, I don't know what else could explain AFP's popularity.
Tom

Postby yard barf on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:32 pm

That whole concert summarization is a gag, right?

I can't tell what is real from what is satire anymore.
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby lumpenprole on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:43 pm

I think the thing I hate AFP the most for is making me side-eye Neil Gaiman.
Proud member of Steel Tigers Of Death Local 382.
lumpenprole
david hockney
david hockney

Postby pldms on Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:06 pm

yard barf wrote:That whole concert summarization is a gag, right?

Why wonder when you can verify every detail minute by minute.
Spoiler: 1:15:20 for the Leonard Cohen bit.
pldms
jasper johns
jasper johns

Postby Tommy on Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:17 pm

motorbike guy wrote:
Twilight Sparkle wrote:She was half of the Dresden Dolls.

Based on her solo work, i would say she is more like one-fifth of the Dresden Dolls.

I still love this interchange.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby jeff_fox on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:55 pm

God. She's like a mime that doesn't shut the fuck up.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:41 pm

You have to hand it to Amanda Palmer: she has a gift for being annoying. "We're going to read Goodnight Moon over and over until we all feel better" pushes a lot of buttons for me; very well done.
Anthony Flack

Postby Tom on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:58 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:You have to hand it to Amanda Palmer: she has a gift for being annoying. "We're going to read Goodnight Moon over and over until we all feel better" pushes a lot of buttons for me; very well done.

No shit. It kind of reminds me of the old "The beating will continue until Morale improves" line.
Tom

Postby morespaceecho on Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:59 pm

jeff_fox wrote:God. She's like a mime that doesn't shut the fuck up.

i laughed.
morespaceecho
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion