home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

amanda "$1.2m" palmer wants you to play with her for free

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: amanda "$1.2m" palmer wants you to play with her for fre

Postby dontfeartheringo on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:27 pm

jeff_fox wrote:God. She's like a mime that doesn't shut the fuck up.

Damn, Jeff.

That's ice cold and yet it still burns like 100 suns.

Imagine pulling that out on someone who won't shut up on any random Friday night. "Son, you're like a mime that won't shut the fuck up."

There'd just be a pile of ashes and a bad smell left.
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby matthew on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:14 pm

cjh wrote:
"She walked out on stage in a Bernie Sanders T-shirt, holding a ukulele aloft as though it were the Olympic torch. Then she held up a book in her left hand, another symbol of triumph. It was Margaret Wise Brown's classic children's book, "Goodnight Moon," which she took to be a talisman for peace and healing.
She kicked off the first show of her American solo tour by sitting down in a center-stage chair and pouring herself a glass of red wine. Clearly reeling from Tuesday's election results, she explained, "My plan is to read you 'Goodnight Moon' for two hours if I have to, until we all feel OK." And then she read the book to the crowd as though it were bedtime story hour, even recruiting a page-turner from the audience.
She played a few songs on her ukulele ("In My Mind" and "Do You Swear to Tell the Truth, the Whole Truth...") and then moved over to the grand piano for a couple more (the cathartic "The Killing Type" and the waltz-time "The Bed Song"), frequently interrupting the songs with asides or lyrical lapses.
Then came another reading of "Goodnight Moon."
A few more piano songs (the piano-pounding "Lost" and "Delilah") before someone in the audience broke the news that singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen had died. Palmer collapsed to the stage, weeping quite uncontrollably.

Palmer's husband, author Neil Gaiman, who was sitting in the front row with their year-old son Anthony, stepped up onstage to read "Goodnight Moon" (take three) while Palmer gathered herself.
Palmer recited the lyrics to "My IQ" by Ani DiFranco, whose concert she had attended at The Egg the previous evening. Then she invited representatives of Planned Parenthood and the New York Civil Liberties Union onstage to give speeches.
In honor of Gaiman's birthday, Palmer brought out a marching band bass drummer, a baton-twirling cue-card holder and a trumpeter in a white jumpsuit, mask and alien antennas to perform a medley of David Bowie songs and a chorus of "Happy Birthday."
More songs on the uke ("Map of Tasmania" and the soul-baring "Bigger on the Inside") and the piano ("Coin Operated Boy" and "Half Jack," both from her Dresden Doll days). Then a stunning cover of John Grant's majestic ballad "Glacier" and a zippy romp through her playful, hopeful "Ukulele Anthem."
And then finally after more than three hours of rambling, roller coaster emotions, she wrapped up the night with an elegiac, broken-hearted, tear-stained rendition of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah."
"You're going to be OK," she said softly as she left the stage"

"...three hours of rambling, roller coaster emotions...", eh?

Get a grip. And lay off the sex, booze and drugs, Ms. Palmer.

And above all, grow up. I think the late Mr. Cohen would say the same, dear.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Boombats on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:12 am

matthew wrote:Get a grip. And lay off the sex, booze and drugs, Ms. Palmer.

And above all, grow up. I think the late Mr. Cohen would say the same, dear.

Last edited by Boombats on Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby bdm on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:23 am

Before I opened this thread I had no idea who this person was. I still haven't heard a single note played by this person and have yet to actually see her face yet already I am sure I know entirely too much. My life was ever so slightly better before unwittingly opening this thread and certainly as gloomy as it already admittedly is my perception of the world was slightly better as well.
bdm
hank williams
hank williams

Postby Stinky Pete on Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:41 am

My fantasy when reading this thread is that we're all watching Amanda in a circus tent pirouetting while a 17 year old girl reads out Toy Operated Boy when, suddenly, GG Allen bursts into the tent and begins slicing everyone up with beer can shrapnel. We all turn to leave, only to realize that the entire back row of the audience is also GG Allen.
Stinky Pete
complete piece of shit
complete piece of shit

Postby Janeway on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:47 am

^haha so you fantasize that you also die for having been in the audience?

here's the thing i hated most reading about that weird gathering.. everybody just let that happen. that whole crowd and even her husband kept going with it, even though it sounded like the dumbest gathering I've ever heard of

i don't know, does crying about something ever look cool? if she looked and sang like neko case would it change any of the male reactions here? what if bill murray read goodnight moon a bunch of times haha

people always look stupid when they're reacting to something stupid .. i blame trump for that odd display

and of course, when folks get emotional about stuff, the counter-reaction is the same white male trump oppressive advice: "grow up" (aka act like an adult who can hide how they're feeling isn't of a kid that displays it) and "insert-random-opposite-seeming-tough-guy-into-equation shows up to annihilate everybody for the behavior" (aka if you keep acting like a child that displays their feels you will be horribly punished by life for it).

neil gaiman, im a fan. your wife sounds.. ehh haha, but at least your political pity party is less annoying of an expression for me to accept of a group than the fucking kkk who have been photographed out marching..

trump reactions will always look gross.. it can be difficult to recognize your people when the outer issues are considered, same as focusing too much on the particulars of campaign promises rather than looking st each other as the same equal democrats that we are
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway

Postby jeff_fox on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:57 am

Make no mistake, Janeway, she is not one of us. She is a multi millionaire who still chooses to pass the hat to fund her (dumb) art projects. We've all figured out how not to do that. As for her collapsing to the floor after hearing about LC- that's some phony-ass bullshit. I blame her and people like her for Trump.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Janeway on Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:08 am

honestly reading about her behavior made me gag but not any more so than some of the most ridiculous weddings ive been to, a lie of an emotional display and fake ness abound and everybody sits for the performance and afllows it cause some people just need a big party to remember to feel good about life

i guess good for amanda palmer for using her annoying fame for what she thinks is a good cause. for that to warrant hitler mentions and attitudes is disheartening.. it's just some crying girl reading a book
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway

Postby bishopdante on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:25 am

Janeway wrote:^haha so you fantasize that

Long & short of the proposed tongue in cheek mental vision is revenge of gg allin x20 or so in a big top.

Any millions subsidy in a tour budget should be getting musicians paid more than just a pittance, so $0 / social media fame raffle brass section is never something I'd recommend myself.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Stinky Pete on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:46 am

I think my inner demon's real point was that, at least as a performance artist, GG was entertaining and knew enough of the words to his songs to get them finished. He also didn't crowdfund and then try to screw everyone around him (figuratively) and yet she's held up as this performance artist who does Ted Talks and GG is a punk rock footnote, when actually she's a messy little troll who makes a living exploiting her fan's patience and belief in her online persona.

The singer in my band took his gf to see her in Dublin a few years back - this, for these girls, would probably be the only opportunity for several years to see her (or possibly even any artist they liked) as no one plays Ireland and if they do you gotta go to Dublin and that's expensive for a teenager. There was girls there who had probably listened to every album, memorizing the words for months, and Amanda strolls in and manages less than 6 songs in 2 hours and she has to google the words for them. Not rehearsing her own songs is an insult to those who came to hear them. I'd appreciate if she stopped switching young girls off from independent music and stayed crying on the floor where she belongs.
Stinky Pete
complete piece of shit
complete piece of shit

Postby morespaceecho on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:14 am

wtf did she do for the rest of the 2 hours?
morespaceecho
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby Marsupialized on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:39 am

What an amazing position to be in for an artist, you have this creepy, devoted fan base who literally asks NOTHING of you and yet will read great meaning into anything you do. This woman can show up, drunk as balls, high as whatever on whatever, not even take the time get dressed, as we've seen, stumble in and literally ANYTHING she does is not only acceptable, but will be met with thunderous rapture and devotion. You know damn well she could stagger in, slur a few incoherent words, squat and defecate into the stage, fall over backwards, then spend an hour sitting Indian style poking at it with her fingers, repeating the word 'prison' and 'beauty' over and over, and none of those people would question it, not one. 'It was amazing, I am so glad I donated to her Kickstarter for this event, I've never dreamed my emotions could be so validated by an artist'
I am starting to enjoy this whole thing, I am almost certain she's just a straight up con artist and if that is indeed the case, I tip my hat to her and wish her luck squeezing those dipfucks for all they are worth.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby jimmy two hands on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:31 pm

I think she's pulling some kind of Kaufman level performance art thing to see how far she can go with her gullible fan base while seeing how much she can piss off her non fan base at the same time. She's damn good at it.

To wit: Me and the missus were recently at a museum that had a show that was entirely performance art, and the performance art was entirely devoted to fucking with the audience. The museum didn't advertise that the entire show was a performance art piece and by the time we left the place we were so pissed off that we wasted our time going there and that we paid the $10 admission fee, and then we realized that was the exact reaction the artist wanted - either that or some fawning praise from academics trying to justify why it was worth their time - and we were like, damn, this dude is a genius troll.

I pretty much have the same reaction whenever I read about one of Palmer's projects. Of course the con artist route also works, the boundary between performance artistry and con artistry is an MFA from RISD.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:40 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:by the time we left the place we were so pissed off that we wasted our time going there and that we paid the $10 admission fee, and then we realized that was the exact reaction the artist wanted

Now my question to the artist would be... WHY did they want that reaction?

Pissing people off and making them sorry they wasted their time? That's the last thing I want from anybody coming to see anything I do.

Artists who try to piss their audience off, I think a lot of them are using provocation to cover up the fact that they're incapable of evoking a genuine positive response, and so choose to be obnoxious to cover their mediocrity.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby jimmy two hands on Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:46 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:
jimmy two hands wrote:by the time we left the place we were so pissed off that we wasted our time going there and that we paid the $10 admission fee, and then we realized that was the exact reaction the artist wanted

Now my question to the artist would be... WHY did they want that reaction?

Pissing people off and making them sorry they wasted their time? That's the last thing I want from anybody coming to see anything I do.

Artists who try to piss their audience off, I think a lot of them are using provocation to cover up the fact that they're incapable of evoking a genuine positive response, and so choose to be obnoxious to cover their mediocrity.

phpBB [media]
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:35 pm

At this point in my life I kinda wish I were shrewd and cynical enough to make bank off my emotional problems. I do not wish I were deluded enough to see any such endeavor as art or of merit, however.
VaticanShotglass
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby matthew on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:17 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:Artists who try to piss their audience off, I think a lot of them are using provocation to cover up the fact that they're incapable of evoking a genuine positive response, and so choose to be obnoxious to cover their mediocrity.

One of the oldest tricks in the rock and roll handbook if you're in a sucky band.

The best bands, regardless of style or whatever, just play their music and treat their live audiences with respect. They don't need to resort to kayfabe-ish sorts of things or overly silly, stupid and theatrical stunts.

They also don't take themselves too seriously...which is probably Ms. Palmer's biggest flaw.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew

Postby thelastrewind on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:39 am

Hey, one upside of Donald Trump's election - a Weimar punk revolution! https://www.theguardian.com/music/austr ... MP=soc_567

What a self centred human being.
Dovey wrote:Kat Dennings is like the SKWM of lady-crushes to me. Took ages to click, and then when it did, I fell hard

(not enough to watch 2 broke girls, tho)

Don't ever correct a dead man's spelling.
thelastrewind
lardner
lardner

Postby Clyde on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:19 am

But being an optimist ... there is this part of me – especially having studied Weimar Germany extensively – I’m like, ‘This is our moment.’ Donald Trump is going to make punk rock great again. We’re all going to crawl down staircases into basements and speakeasies and make amazing satirically political art.

“If the political climate keeps getting uglier, the art will have to answer. We will have to fight. It’s already happening – the artists in my tribes have been like, ‘Alright. This is not good.’ We are sharpening our knives for a large buffet.”

Um, Mandy, you might want want to do a quick refresher course on the Weimar Republic, particularly the aftermath.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby garthplinko on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:09 am

in my tribes

If you've ever used this phrase, you've already lost.
garthplinko

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion