home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Oddly shaped guitars

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Oddly shaped guitars

Postby VaticanShotglass on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:59 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
VaticanShotglass wrote:Asshats going on about who deserves what and who can and can't play are ever present and ever stupid. This mentality just doesn't die. Throw in a woman and the stupidity becomes weaponized. Guitar as extension of penis before guitar as instrument of crafting music.

Say what you want about St. Vincent's music (I am not a fan) - but it seems to me that she is actively trying to create a space for the guitar in the world of 21st-century pop sound.

In other words she is taking an anachronistic instrument with a lot of cultural baggage from previous eras attached to it, and is trying to push it forward. I don't particularly dig the results she has come up with that I have heard, but it is to be admired.

I don't follow her much, but check in every so often. I pretty much in complete agreement. She makes total sense for her to have a signature instrument.

I was just lamenting how stupid guitar culture is. Like I remember people being all hurt and sour when Cobain had a signature guitar put out because he "couldn't play his way out of a wet paper bag." St. Vincent doesn't stand a chance against these Randy Rhodes nerds. She'd have to stick to standard hard rock jams on YouTube and be conventionally "J.C. Penny hot."

I'm all for St. Vincent except that I'm just not really a big fan. I'm rather favorable to her guitar playing though.
VaticanShotglass
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby bishopdante on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:40 pm

MatthewK wrote:Not only that but the Kingman had a metal tube running from the neck heel to the end pin - visible thru the sound hole here:
and in this pic of some no-hoper folkie seduced by its weird looks:

Heretic!

(Nothing wrong with those, good sound. Same sort of animal as yamaha FG100)

Check out these for odd:

Gianinni.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:48 am

VaticanShotglass wrote:I was just lamenting how stupid guitar culture is. Like I remember people being all hurt and sour when Cobain had a signature guitar put out because he "couldn't play his way out of a wet paper bag." St. Vincent doesn't stand a chance against these Randy Rhodes nerds.

Yeah. Guess what shitheads, getting a signature guitar has nothing to do with how hard you shred, it's about how many people you inspire with your music. Manufacturers make signature guitar models because they believe there are people out there who will want to buy them. So Cobain gets a signature guitar, Johnny Fucknuts does not.

I really like about half of what St Vincent does and dislike the other half... often in the same song. I agree that the stock neck on that guitar lets the design down a bit.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby numberthirty on Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:29 am

VaticanShotglass wrote:St. Vincent doesn't stand a chance against these Randy Rhodes nerds. She'd have to stick to standard hard rock jams on YouTube and be conventionally "J.C. Penny hot."

I'm all for St. Vincent except that I'm just not really a big fan. I'm rather favorable to her guitar playing though.

Actually, it's Randy Rhoads nerds.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby dfglove on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:10 am

bishopdante wrote:Check out these for odd:

Gianinni.

More specifically, a Giannini Craviola. (They make conventionally-shaped instruments too; these ones are Craviolas.)

I've always admired how these look, and the nylon-string one I played in London about a decade ago felt and sounded fantastic. Lightweight instrument, nicely balanced design. I've never met one of the steel-string models, but I imagine it'd be good at everything a parlour acoustic is good for. Apparently they make an electric one, too.
dfglove
strongbad
strongbad

Postby elisha wiesner on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:21 am

While we're on the subject of St. Vincent and oddly shaped guitars, here's her uncle, Tuck Andress, playing an absolutely insane version of Over The Rainbow on a totally silly looking guitar.

phpBB [media]
elisha wiesner

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:25 am

That reminds me of my Breadwinner, but more dad-ish.

Edit: look what else they make: http://www.gianniniguitars.com/produto_ ... g-252.html

If not for the pseudo-acoustic bridge and the control plate that was clearly stolen from the AM radio in my dad's old Pinto, that could have been a guitar.
biscuitdough
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby Nico Adie on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:53 pm

bishopdante wrote:
Check out these for odd:

Bill Withers has a couple of guitars that look very much like that, at least he did in the Still Bill documentary.
Nico Adie
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby agiant on Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:10 pm

elisha wiesner wrote:While we're on the subject of St. Vincent and oddly shaped guitars, here's her uncle, Tuck Andress, playing an absolutely insane version of Over The Rainbow on a totally silly looking guitar.

phpBB [media]

To play something like that with a wangcaster prototype. Ace.
blah
agiant
curly neal
curly neal

Postby bishopdante on Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:57 pm

dfglove wrote:
bishopdante wrote:Check out these for odd:

Gianinni.

More specifically, a Giannini Craviola. (They make conventionally-shaped instruments too; these ones are Craviolas.)

I've always admired how these look, and the nylon-string one I played in London about a decade ago felt and sounded fantastic. Lightweight instrument, nicely balanced design. I've never met one of the steel-string models, but I imagine it'd be good at everything a parlour acoustic is good for. Apparently they make an electric one, too.

I owned & played one for a while when I was 13/14, swapped a nice drum for it. Got rid of it a year or so later because I couldn't find a hard case that fit it, rendering it house-bound. Was carrying it around in a soft case which wouldn't zip up completely, then found a really nice handmade classical with a cracked top I could get repaired & traded the Craviola in with a bit of cash on top. Problem with the Craviola was that the top was about 3mm thick. Think I had the budget model.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:04 pm

numberthirty wrote:
VaticanShotglass wrote:St. Vincent doesn't stand a chance against these Randy Rhodes nerds. She'd have to stick to standard hard rock jams on YouTube and be conventionally "J.C. Penny hot."

That Ozzy Osbourne band would have sounded quite different with Mr Randy Rhodes on electric piano.
Anthony Flack

Postby VaticanShotglass on Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:20 pm

numberthirty wrote:

Bam! Musical equivalent of Freudian slip. See below.

Anthony Flack wrote:
That Ozzy Osbourne band would have sounded quite different with Mr Randy Rhodes on electric piano.
VaticanShotglass
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby VaticanShotglass on Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:30 pm

biscuitdough wrote:

If not for the pseudo-acoustic bridge and the control plate that was clearly stolen from the AM radio in my dad's old Pinto, that could have been a guitar.

I dig this guitar as well as the entire violin shape tradition in electrics (usually basses).

I also dig the "slapped on radio control" hardware thing that was common in Europe for a good while. I especially like Itallian variations, especially especially Wandre's use. The latter were explicitly inspired by motor bikes and autos among other things. They have a wonderful combination of elegant surrealist lines, automotive lines, and what could sometimes look like turned over ash trays with gaskets mounted to the bodies. Just wonderful objects, those Wandre's.
VaticanShotglass
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby agiant on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:43 am

blah
agiant
curly neal
curly neal

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:01 am

^ the perfect guitar to drop acid with
Anthony Flack

Postby biscuitdough on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:11 am

VaticanShotglass wrote:
biscuitdough wrote:

I dig this guitar as well as the entire violin shape tradition in electrics (usually basses).

I also dig the "slapped on radio control" hardware thing that was common in Europe for a good while. I especially like Itallian variations, especially especially Wandre's use. The latter were explicitly inspired by motor bikes and autos among other things. They have a wonderful combination of elegant surrealist lines, automotive lines, and what could sometimes look like turned over ash trays with gaskets mounted to the bodies. Just wonderful objects, those Wandre's.

Edit: the Wandres of Reverb

I guess I don't even mind the wooden bridge, as long as you keep it in standard. I can totally see that control plate on something Jazzmaster or Tele-like, but it seems way out of place on a carved violin body.
biscuitdough
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby agiant on Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:36 pm

The red one
blah
agiant
curly neal
curly neal

Postby biscuitdough on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:47 pm

agiant wrote:The red one

https://reverb.com/item/1392788-wandre- ... ultra-rare

"The Scarebeo based on is distinct design is probably the most desired of all Wandre models , the instruments unique shape was influenced by that of two Beatles ,one the body shape was that of an insect and its headstock was the Profile John Lennon / The Beatles , please see full details as follows..."
biscuitdough
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby agiant on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:20 pm

Scare be oh!

So you have to be mad and rich to own one of these aberrations.
blah
agiant
curly neal
curly neal

Postby zom-zom on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:42 pm

I think it looks cooler than a Breadwinner.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion