home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Entertainment for kids

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Entertainment for kids

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:38 am

I've been thinking of starting this thread for some time, to complement the Dadness thread.

Here is where the PRF moms and dads post their arts and entertainment recommendations for their kids. What books have your kids loved? What movies haven't driven you nuts? What music of yours do they love?
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Re: Entertainment for kids

Postby Major on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:06 am

My kids' favorite band is Sloan. It's all they ever want to listen to. I am fine with this.

Lately they've really enjoyed watching Black Books on Netflix (yeah, the BBC series with Dylan Moran). They love Mr. Bean. This weekend I will pull out my Monty Python DVDs and see what happens.

My daughter recently read White Fang and seemed deeply affected by parts of it. She is 7. My son is more into non-fiction, such as Star Wars Character encyclopedias and such. He is 8.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby motorbike guy on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:07 am

Wood Goblin wrote:I've been thinking of starting this thread for some time, to complement the Dadness thread.

Here is where the PRF moms and dads post their arts and entertainment recommendations for their kids. What books have your kids loved? What movies haven't driven you nuts? What music of yours do they love?

my son has his Ipod loaded up by me. He likes Mastodon, Black Helicopter, Jesus Lizard, the Birthday Party and The Who. Loves the Who.

he's 11.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Tom on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:48 am

Major wrote:My kids' favorite band is Sloan. It's all they ever want to listen to. I am fine with this.

I've just recently gotten into Sloan. I drive my wife a little crazy whistling Everything You've Ever Done Was Wrong. I love that song.

On topic though,

Elise is really into bright lights and mirrors right now. Any spectrum colors you guys would recommend?

I've already started a dvd collection of dark & scary kids movies. (Dark Crystal, Hobbit, Last Unicorn, NiMH). I'm really hoping we can avoid hordes of crappy CGI shit with the dick jokes for the parents that is some how supposed to be a substitute for a good narrative and dialog.
Tom
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby sunlore on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:51 am

Thomas the Train is a perfidious, intrusive glorification of the working ethic. It needs to go.
sunlore

Postby Dave N. on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:01 am

Right now, my 10 year old daughter is into hip hop dance class, those Origami Star Wars books, Harry Potter, and riding circles around the carport on her Ripstik (while talking to herself). Her taste in music is awful, but so was mine at age 10.
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Boombats on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:07 am

Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby dvockins on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:23 am

sunlore wrote:Thomas the Train is a perfidious, intrusive glorification of the working ethic. It needs to go.

Justin Foley wrote:Not to derail the thread, but Sir Topham Hatt is the most incompetent railroad manager on the planet.

He should die.

I don't have an issue with the work, but the inter-transport system politics over trivial bullshit is bullshit. Who gives a shit if you're not carrying the Duke of Wigglesbottom to the Agricultural Faire - you're a fucking train, not a E! News social reporter at the Academy Awards.

My kid's favorite band is One Direction. I do not like them. I hope she does not give a flying fuck what I think about One Direction.
dvockins
alan's bitch
alan's bitch

Postby Dave N. on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:29 am

Boombats wrote:

I wonder whatever became of my Big Poo Generator tape? I had a small 7" label in the early 90's, and I received that tape in the mail with a note that said "If you don't sign my band, you will receive a piece of poo." I believe C/Z ended up putting it out. The poo threat never materialized.

Man, my daughter would love Big Poo Generator.

Toilet for me, toilet for you
I eat poopy, toilet for two
Dave N.

Postby Maurice on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:46 am

Can't go wrong with Can, Cluster, or Kraftwerk. With my kids, anyway.
music every week | here, too | and here | snwv | other stuff

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice

Postby Major on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:52 am

Maurice wrote:Can't go wrong with Can, Cluster, or Kraftwerk. With my kids, anyway.

I was listening to the last Beak> album this past weekend and my daughter really dug it. She will be introduced to Can and Kraftwerk shortly.

Since she finished White Fang maybe I'll give her Krautrocksampler next.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby yaledelay on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:02 am

my nephews (6-8) love the Korg Kaosolator - which is a cheep, super easy to use beat machine, they had songs going in about 15 seconds. We can kill a whole afternoon making beats on this and my microsampler/effect boxes.

But that Kaosolator you can get cheep.
yaledelay
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Tom on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:05 am

Early indicators signal an Os Mutantes fan.
Tom

Postby dontfeartheringo on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:25 pm

You guys with toddlers:

This book has delighted my 2-year-old for DAYS.
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby MWilke on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:54 pm

I've come up with this game with my son and have been playing it for the better part of 6 months now starting when he was 2.5 years old. I've mentioned this to other parents. The ones that actually take me up on trying it have given me good feedback.

Welcome to my Store

I walk into a room (or tub) of toys and find my son there and I say, 'Ding-a-ling,' mimicking door chimes.

Son: Welcome to my store!

Me: Thanks. I have a problem.

Him: What is your problem?

Me: Well, (detail a problem that can be solved by a toy in the room*)

Him: Looks around, discovers what you're talking about, and then announces his solution.

Me: How does it work?

Him: (Adorable description/demonstration)

Me: Perfect! How much is it?

Him: Fifty bucks

Me: Sounds good, here's my (imaginary) card.

Him: (Swipe motion and sound) Thank you for coming! Come back any time.

Me: Thanks for solving my problem. (Leave room, repeat)

*(Notice a toy airplane) I need to fly to Chicago, but I need something that put me in the air and get me there really fast.

The idea is to familiarize him with give and take conversation, incorporate some listening and problem solving exercise, also get in some connection between object/function. And why not get some space hogging toys that he's already bored with back in the mix too? The main thing is it's a fun way to interact with him.
MWilke
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby B_M_L on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:11 pm

My 1 year old loves all of the Oliver Jeffers books -

This is Lost and Found

And she also loves to play guitar. She will race into the spare room when ever the door is open so that she can strum all the bass strings or hit them with a drum stick. She dances and 'sings' (i.e dodododododo de) if I start playing. It's very very cute.
B_M_L
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby tbone on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 pm

My son loves the Who. He really loves it when I grab my acoustic and start playing an approximation of something the Who might do, which usually involves me playing a bunch of open A and D chords, maybe the root note of the G chord salt and peppered over them, and going "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

Edited to add: My wife took a pretty sweet video of me doing the guitarring as mentioned above and my son providing the vocals when he was like 6 months old or something. I should put it up on youtube, monetize that shit.
Last edited by tbone on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby chumpchange on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:26 pm

My daughter just turned three. Here favorite book for the past year has been this:

It's like a Richard Scarry book but by a German author, with the descriptions and signage translated to English. This book keeps her busy for hours. For example, our 6.5 hour drive to Portland. It chronicles this unnamed German town through all four seasons, with recurring characters throughout. This book has seen so much use that I have had to repair just about every page along the binding. We are going to buy a replacement before long. Highly recommended for the ages 2+.
chumpchange
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Dave//Eksvplot on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Pee-wee's Playhouse

Will Vinton's Claymation Christmas
madmanmunt wrote:You think Michelangelo Antonioni popped out of the womb with Monica Vitti in one hand and the reels of L'Avventura in the other?
Dave//Eksvplot

Postby Teacher's Pet on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Teacher's Pet
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Next

Return to General Discussion