home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

JASON MOLINA Tribute page

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

JASON MOLINA Tribute page

Postby crevecoeur on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:31 am

Oh lord !
it seems that Jason Molina died this saturday.
I'm so sad, i can't believe this. He was a huge inspiration to me.
I would never find words to say how much he brang to me.
R.I.P
may you find some peace of mind now
Last edited by crevecoeur on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
crevecoeur
berith
berith

Re: JASON MOLINA Tribute page

Postby spanning time on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:40 am

This is a huge bummer, love his music, RIP!
spanning time
ambulance chaser
ambulance chaser

Postby Toaster on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:47 am

Goddamnit. Really, I can't think of a single week in forever where I haven't listened to at least a couple of songs by the man, and probably a whole album. I can't believe he's gone.
busbus wrote:I don't know if I have mentioned this before, but, I have a scar from jacking off too much at work back in 1990.
Toaster
courtesan
courtesan

Postby MrFood on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:52 am

I am extremely sad about this.
Boombats wrote:It's kind of sad to see such self-objectifying homogeneity, but at the same time it's nice to have a boner all day.
MrFood
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Adam Sr on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:55 am

Adam Sr
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Wheely on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:09 pm

This is really bumming me out this morning. I only saw him play once, all by his lonesome to a small but loving crowd. He was a gentleman to all who wanted to talk to him and give compliments. That was the first time I heard him and I now own a boat load of his albums, having spent many, many hours soaking it all in. So good. So very sad.

Sorry to all who knew and loved him.
Last edited by Wheely on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
new band: Halfwit // Facebook
old band: IC // IC Bandcamp
Wheely
retail therapist
retail therapist

Postby caix on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:10 pm

Wow and I did not expect him to be sick from alcoholism. Last time I saw him, it must have been 1998... he was complaining about all the people smoking while he played, it was affecting his voice. I assumed he was strait edge.
I play bass in Fake Limbs.
caix
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby howiemarx on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:16 pm

RIP

take care people
howiemarx
mars volta frontman
mars volta frontman

Postby Clyde on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:17 pm

I'm very sad about this. He was an incredible talent.
Clyde
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Cranius on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:28 pm

RIP seemed like an honest and heartfelt musician who touched a lot of people, judging by my FB.
Cranius
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby cowboyhero on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:45 pm

RIP

His music meant a lot to me. Wanna drive through the mountains, or the desert now.

He drank himself to death, I gather? Man, that's awful.
cowboyhero
mime
mime

Postby B_M_L on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:05 pm

This is really really sad news.
B_M_L
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby andyman on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Wow. This is horrifying...
andyman
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Carl on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:43 pm

B_M_L wrote:This is really really sad news.

I suppose it is a relief that he is no longer suffering, but yes.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby greg on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:15 pm

Jason will obviously be missed.
He was always supportive of us and anything we were up to individually. I believe that was the case with a most people he knew.
I feel privileged to have spent some time with him.
RIP Jason Molina
greg
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby P.J. Craven on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:20 pm

This may start out sounding like one of those "but enough about me, let's talk about me" posts, but I am totally shocked and saddened by this news. My diction and ability to express myself--not so great right now. Please bear with me for a paragraph as there are two important things I need to share about the character of Mr. Molina.

I had the good fortune to open a show for Jason in 2007. He was playing solo, and as I was playing by my lonesome at the time, the powers that be thought it made sense to slap me on the bill. I was doubly happy as I imagined it was my prickly reputation and local connections that had helped to get my friends in The Bracelets booked as well (in reality, while this was partially true, all I had done was see to it that I was shafted out of money that day as I had made enemies with just about anyone whom I felt treated artists unfairly--in this case, this meant the student-aged bookers). I think that I even talked getting Houndrunner, a gifted punk/post-punk type outfit, on the bill as a condition for getting The Bracelets, only to have the former band back out of the show last minute as they felt they didn't fit. In any case, I was 21 and felt I had bucked the system. I must really be something special to get away with getting nothing but "real" music onto the Union Terrace (beautiful venue directly on the lake in Madison, WI).

That mid-April day proved crappy, and we had to play inside. Enter Jason Molina (in that Indiana Jones-style hat of his). We were introduced and I began asking him about Neil Young records as I was on a huge kick at the time. I think these must have been irritating questions for him to have been asked, but he was 100% gracious and kind throughout. I asked him about his peers, what they were like, (specifically Nina Nastasia), and he answered all my inquiries in thoughtful detail. I cannot stress enough how much time he took out of his night for me even though I clearly knew diddly about jack. On top of being a too-precocious, know-it-all 21 year old, I admitted to him that I didn't know his music very well, but that I had seen his band, Magnolia Electric Co. at the Intonation Festival (now Pitchfork) a year or two prior and that it had brought me to tears despite my knowing next to nothing of his band previously. At the mention of this, he became more engaged, almost reverentially so. He expressed to me that he felt the band had been "on fire" or "shit-hot" that day. I think his description had something to do with burning. We kept on this topic for a little bit, and it was clear that this set had stood out very clearly in his memory. I can testify on his behalf that the Chicago set at Intonation truly was special. At 19, I was an uninformed and objective observer to that fact, and I remember being confused as to how a band completely unknown to me could cause me to well up with tears. I think it was the insistence and knowing bobbing of one player's curly fro that sent me over the edge into being completely cognizant of the moment.

Jason and I didn't speak for more than a few minutes, and I think it was actually me that ended the conversation as I didn't want to bother him by speaking for too long. That, and I don't think I appreciated at all what a special pleasure it was to meet the man. I didn't see what was so great about his solo work until Tim Midgett/Midyett pointed me in the right direction.

If my diction has been poor or hyperbolic, it's because I'm completely stunned and saddened right now and have been locked in this state all morning. Jason Molina was a class act all the way--even when maniacs were bringing the show to a standstill, screaming for the crowd to quiet down, even when the audience (half of whom deserved to be assaulted by the reticent and absent Houndrunner) refused to stop talking, even when introduced to an arrogant kid the likes of me, he appeared unfazed and completely at ease with his ability and the honesty of his music. I found my friend Cindy in the back, and between speaking with her (far away from the stage) and watching Jason, I witnessed a real working musician fight through adversity, standing up on a table halfway through the proceedings, and playing songs that came straight from his literate guts.

Someone please find that Intonation soundboard recording if you are the sort to read this and have access to that sort of thing. It must be from 2005.
P.J. Craven
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby syntaxfree07 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Glad I got see him and I'm very sad to hear that he had such a hard time of it while he was here.

Having seen him live, and knowing nothing of his personal life when I did, it is very difficult for me to imagine him being addicted to or ruled by anything other than playing music and being gracious.

I'm very glad that I didn't see him in that state and I'm thinking of those of you who were his friends and have burdened yourself with worry and sadness over his curses. You did a good thing.
boombats wrote:Zumba Sally and iPad Phil are crying into their lattes, and I don't give a shit.
syntaxfree07
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Steve V. on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:43 pm

This is completely terrible. Grateful for the times I saw him perform, and all of the albums I cherish.
Steve V.
Milfhunter

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:47 pm

The Molina family is still accepting donations to his medical fund as a memorial gift. You can donate here.
four_oclocker_2

Postby steve on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:55 pm

I loved hearing Jason Molina sing. He was a genius at turning a phrase and making it into something more than the words in it. Jason was almost supernaturally prolific, and several times I watched him write an album's worth of songs in a weekend, recording them on the spot. Much of his recorded output with Magnolia Electric Co is the evidence of him and the band playing his songs for the very first time. It's amazing, really, that it was any good at all, much less so touching and fully realized.

Jason was a unique talent and I will miss him. My heart goes out to all his friends and family, all of you I've met have been good people who did well by Jason.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Next

Return to General Discussion