home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Bismarck -Spring 2018 Tour

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

The Bismarck -Spring 2018 Tour

Postby chris jury on Mon May 20, 2013 2:45 pm

I can never figure out how to rename/retitle threads. So I'll try to stop creating new threads and just put new stuff here.

First: in an uncharacteristic burst of activity, we have 2 local shows in the next 2 weeks.
tomorrow, 5/21/13 at the Highline on Capitol Hill, with Success, Lindseys, Dead Bars.
https://www.facebook.com/events/595610723783380/

and Next Friday, 5/31/13 at the rendezvous, with SEMINARS and KOZO
https://www.facebook.com/events/287224714746089/

A kind member of seminars made this outstanding video for the event. That is some seriously funny shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Z52bOhI2-0

Eric did up a little tour doc of the trip to California last month-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjFBKzIRmxE

And lastly, we are entering the 'for reals' stage of planning for the spring 2014 UK tour. We are aiming for the second half of March. We met a lot of our fine PRF UK brethren last go-round, and anticipate seeing more of you. We have some good ideas about what we want to do, and who we want to do it with, but we are open to any ideas others have. In the next couple weeks I'll get tickets and I'll post what we have by way of plans. Feel free to chime in- we are easily persuaded to do stupid things.
Last edited by chris jury on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:39 am, edited 20 times in total.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
User avatar
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3311
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:03 pm

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby tallchris on Mon May 20, 2013 2:49 pm

I've had several folks ask why the hell you guys haven't played a BBQ yet.

So yeah, you guys need to play a BBQ.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
User avatar
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8420
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby yaledelay on Mon May 20, 2013 2:51 pm

tallchris wrote:I've had several folks ask why the hell you guys haven't played a BBQ yet.

So yeah, you guys need to play a BBQ.



Listen to the tall man.
yaledelay
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8303
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:59 pm

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby placeholder on Mon May 20, 2013 3:17 pm

yaledelay wrote:
tallchris wrote:I've had several folks ask why the hell you guys haven't played a BBQ yet.

So yeah, you guys need to play a BBQ.


Listen to the tall man.


Do it!
User avatar
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7971
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:06 pm

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby chris jury on Mon May 20, 2013 3:26 pm

tallchris wrote:I've had several folks ask why the hell you guys haven't played a BBQ yet.

So yeah, you guys need to play a BBQ.


They are always at a terrible time for us -we never tour in the summer. Also they create some serious logistical issues- Namely it costs as much for us to come out, play once (because everyone is there, so no one is putting on nearby shows those days), and go home as it does for us to pick another time of year (when airfare/hotels are cheaper), come out and play 5-6 shows. Admittedly that one show will probably have almost as many total audience members, and we'd get to see a lot more amazing music.

For this go-round, essentially we couldn't do both the BBQ and a spring 2 week UK tour. I love you guys, but that wasn't a very hard decision.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
User avatar
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3311
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:03 pm

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby tallchris on Mon May 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Understandable, though I think cost wise, you'd probably end up spending less money coming out to play just the BBQ. You're just paying for direct tickets to Chicago, no need for a rental car since you can take public transit, no gas driving to other cities, etc. Most the folks you know in town are grown ass adults so you'd have good places to stay so no need to get a hotel. And you'd be playing one show to 100+ people instead of 5 shows to 20-ish people, and likely sell as much if not more merch from that one show as you would from all the other shows together.

Just my .02, but I'm pretty much speaking from personal experience here.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
User avatar
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8420
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby chris jury on Mon May 20, 2013 3:39 pm

tallchris wrote:Understandable, though I think cost wise, you'd probably end up spending less money coming out to play just the BBQ. You're just paying for direct tickets to Chicago, no need for a rental car since you can take public transit, no gas driving to other cities, etc. Most the folks you know in town are grown ass adults so you'd have good places to stay so no need to get a hotel. And you'd be playing one show to 100+ people instead of 5 shows to 20-ish people, and likely sell as much if not more merch from that one show as you would from all the other shows together.

Just my .02, but I'm pretty much speaking from personal experience here.


I know that you are right, and we need to do this at some point soon.

Also- still like the idea of a PRF west sort of thing. Probably best if it were somewhere cheap to fly to, like LA. That might be a fun winter outing -getting away to decent weather for a bit, but not sure who'd have the time/interest to put it together.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
User avatar
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3311
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:03 pm

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby Ptommydski on Mon May 20, 2013 3:51 pm

chris jury wrote:For this go-round, essentially we couldn't do both the BBQ and a spring 2 week UK tour. I love you guys, but that wasn't a very hard decision.

Y'all crazy people!

You'd pass through better places to play on the way to the BBQ and you're pretty much guaranteed one of the best shows of your life in Chicago.

I feel really embarrassed about the UK music scene outside of a couple of key cities.
User avatar
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7455
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:52 am
Location: UK

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby yaledelay on Mon May 20, 2013 4:09 pm

Ptommydski wrote:
chris jury wrote:For this go-round, essentially we couldn't do both the BBQ and a spring 2 week UK tour. I love you guys, but that wasn't a very hard decision.

Y'all crazy people!

You'd pass through better places to play on the way to the BBQ and you're pretty much guaranteed one of the best shows of your life in Chicago.

I feel really embarrassed about the UK music scene outside of a couple of key cities.


This is not really true Tommy, the plain states are horrible on touring bands, super long drives small cities. I mean once you hit the midwest you are cool, but we (going the other way) always lose money until we hit the west coast.
yaledelay
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8303
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:59 pm

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby Ptommydski on Mon May 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Granted but surely playing in those cities is about the equivalent of playing a horrible venue in a shitty town in the UK?

Don't get me wrong, there are places like Nottingham, Glasgow, Brighton and I suppose London whereby you might get a fun gig in the UK but for the most part it's hard to get people to take a chance on live music. I loved seeing the Bismarck play in the UK but it was sort of painful to watch the film of it afterwards because I think they're a great band and they deserved a better response than they got.
User avatar
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7455
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:52 am
Location: UK

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby jeff_fox on Mon May 20, 2013 4:33 pm

The Bismarck fears success.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
User avatar
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby J. Burns on Mon May 20, 2013 4:35 pm

I figure they're doing us a favor by making sure the BBQ doesn't get "Bismarcked."
mrcancelled wrote:Calm down, The Melvins. Don't try and be a hero.



POLICE TEETH: Gone fishin'. Be back soon!
SEMINARS: "Pricks Die Young" full-length out now
User avatar
J. Burns
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4393
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby Ptommydski on Mon May 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Oh shit yeah I forgot about the curse. Stay away, you fuckers!
User avatar
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7455
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:52 am
Location: UK

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby chris jury on Mon May 20, 2013 7:22 pm

huh- I think you're putting weight on different parts of the equation than I generally do.

Playing one festival (for lack of a better term) in chicago vs 12 shows in the UK..Again, I love you guys, but that isn't a very hard call to make.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
User avatar
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3311
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:03 pm

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby Ike on Mon May 20, 2013 8:02 pm

Yeah, yeah, shows, who gives a fuck. NEW RECORD INFO OR BUST, PUSSY.
Ike
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed
 
Posts: 1640
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:33 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby tbone on Mon May 20, 2013 9:00 pm

You gotta treat the Chicago BBQ more like a vacation than some stop on a shitty tour. You don't even have to bring your own gear. Shut down MS Excel and have a good time with it.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
User avatar
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4648
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:53 pm
Location: Chicago Proper

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby chris jury on Mon May 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Ike wrote:Yeah, yeah, shows, who gives a fuck. NEW RECORD INFO OR BUST, PUSSY.


Last weds we got word that the test pressing was done. Palomino was going to review it to make sure there were no technical issues then send them to us. I hope to have them late this week.

I am assured the pressing will follow quickly from there.

-I think the 'vacation' aspect is another tick in the "go to the UK for 2 weeks" box, rather than 3 days in Chicago (as lovely as it is, especially in the summer).
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
User avatar
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3311
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:03 pm

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby jeff_fox on Mon May 20, 2013 10:13 pm

chris jury wrote:-I think the 'vacation' aspect is another tick in the "go to the UK for 2 weeks" box, rather than 3 days in Chicago (as lovely as it is, especially in the summer).

that there's a sweet ass vacation, based on your tour docs...
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
User avatar
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby chris jury on Mon May 20, 2013 10:57 pm

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:
chris jury wrote:-I think the 'vacation' aspect is another tick in the "go to the UK for 2 weeks" box, rather than 3 days in Chicago (as lovely as it is, especially in the summer).

that there's a sweet ass vacation, based on your tour docs...


What? you don't spend your vacations crammed into tiny rooms, fighting logistical nightmares and trying not to kill yourself driving on the wrong side of the road? I think we have different ideas of fun.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
User avatar
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3311
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:03 pm

Re: The Bismarck, news and information thread

Postby eephour on Mon May 20, 2013 11:08 pm

I love the docs. Happy to hear about a new record too.

Come to NY
User avatar
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5139
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:08 pm
Location: Fleetwood

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 13 guests