home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Bismarck -Spring 2018 Tour

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: The Bismarck -UK tour, March 20-30

Postby chris jury on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:16 am

honeyisfunny wrote:
chris jury wrote:fuck this country's shitty hardware/diy culture.

You've got to ask adults! I can't speak for Bradford but there's plenty of Ma & Pa hardware stores in Nottm...

True- We had thought that the person at the first hardware store would know enough to send us to a reasonable second store- no dice.

Sunday: got up early-ish, made a run to the 24hr supermarket just around the corner, got packed up. So people all over the island kept telling us how expensive and difficult London is...but we paid less for gas, coffee, groceries, food, and parking here than we did in Newcastle or Glasgow. I realize were were a bit away from the city center, but still- not bad at all. At the services a hour down the road Nate bought a pastie that smelled like the diaper of a child who'd been fed lamb and ouzo. terrifying.

Got to Nottingham about 1, Chris and Neil were there and we got settled in. Kinda of a whirlwind of awesome all day. Dusty Bible and the Canadians, Bus Stop Madonnas, Us, Grey Hairs (Minus Bod who fucked her back up), then X Rays. the X Rays deserve special mention for the level of total shambles their set became. Drummer fell from a seated position, toppling over the amps in the process. It was great to meet young Sam and have him come up and sing .079 with us. Maybe he can do the same at the PRFBBQ this summer?

After the show we went to Annie's Burger Shack with Chris, Neil, Dave, Dave's wife (who's name I am embarrassed to say I don't remember), and Matt. lots of food, fun as shit. Dave said he was lobbying to get The Bismarck burger back on the menu. The Kogumaza looked pretty good, as did the Gringo...doesn't seem like we warrant the same honor. About 10 we had to get on the road, so we said goodbye. Nottingham provided another perfect end to a tour. I am in love w/ this town and its fine people.

It was an 80 mile drive to the hotel just outside the Manchester airport. uneventful, until the last 2 miles, which magically turned into a 10 mile, 30 minute detour. Got settled, disassembled the bass, prepped and packed the guitars for the plane, got a few hours sleep. Made flights with no issues, got home around 7pm.

Note 1: My wife is obsessed with candy. Throughout the whole trip I purchased everything I could find that A) we don't have in the states, and B) I didn't get her last time. In the end I had a full Tesco bag. I still feel confident I can do this one more time before I start repeating.

Note 2: I know it concerned a couple of you, and I'm trying not to be weird about it- I don't really eat when on tour. It is mostly an anxiety thing. On this outing, which was 12 days total, I did better. I had 5 orders of chips, 9 packs of crisps (lightly salted only- none of your vinegar bullshit), 2 yorkie bars, 4 banannas, an aero bar and a bag of 'American Style Snack Mix'. Not normally a weirdo who keeps track of these things, but I was interested in exactly what it was I'd end up eating this time around. I lost 8 pounds. Back to eating like a normal person now.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby fantasmatical thorr on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:56 pm

Is that literally all you ate?!
Tom wrote: I remember going in the back and seeing him headbanging to Big Black. He looked like he was raping the air- really. He had this look on his face like, "yeah air... you know you want it.".
fantasmatical thorr
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby chris jury on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:38 pm

fantasmatical thorr wrote:Is that literally all you ate?!
I had a beer in Cardiff ...but otherwise yes. not healthy, i know. I'm working on it.

Skoda: every tour we seem to invent or repurpose a word or phrase. this go round was Skoda, which we shouted upon overtaking, but also determined to mean a comfortable woman who may not be a prized beauty, but also someone you are not embarrassed to have slept with.
chris jury

Re: The Bismarck Show #200, 7-19, victory lounge seattle

Postby chris jury on Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:09 am

We are all home happy, safe and exhausted from the PRFBBQ. Thanks to everyone who watched our rag-tag set, chatted, etc.

We have been a thing for about 12 years, and generally don't rush around playing a bunch, especially in town, but have manged to work up to show #200. It should be a real barn-burner, with our good friend Joel RL Phelps and his Downer Trio, and ultra-cool No Grave. Saturday July 19, at the Victory Lounge on eastlake. show starts at 9:30. I think we'll do some fun stuff, maybe some covers, and lots of new stuff. So happy to get the bill we wanted for a change.
chris jury

Re: The Bismarck UK 2014 Tour Video- up now

Postby chris jury on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:34 am

Here is a fine document of what our 2014 UK tour looked like. As per some folks requests, Eric put more of us performing into this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3gdSWQhQeA

We will be going 'into the studio' the weekend after xmas. Since it is the same space we practice in, it really doesn't seem like a big deal. We will be recording 3-5 numbers, maybe a cover or 2. No idea what to do with them...Ideas?
chris jury

Re: The Bismarck UK 2014 Tour Video- up now

Postby honeyisfunny on Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:33 pm

If, before yesterday, someone had asked me "have you ever covered a Warren Zevon song?" I would not have hesitated in answering "No". That's what happens when you get The X Rays to play on a Sunday afternoon. It's nice to see this as as our missing bassist ended up being replaced by Amy, seen singing in Bus Stop Madonnas mere seconds before in the film.
A splendid document, gents.
chris jury wrote:"blistering walls of questionable tone"
honeyisfunny
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Re: The Bismarck -Free 'Live in the UK' album

Postby chris jury on Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:18 pm

We cobbled together an albums worth of live recordings from the last outing.

https://thebismarck.bandcamp.com/album/ ... he-uk-2014

Also finished all recording for a new 4 banger -likely just a digital thing for now. Not sure when mixing and mastering will happen.
chris jury

Postby NewDarkAge on Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:24 pm

chris jury wrote:We cobbled together an albums worth of live recordings from the last outing.

Also finished all recording for a new 4 banger -likely just a digital thing for now. Not sure when mixing and mastering will happen.

YEAH!
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby eephour on Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:38 pm

chris jury wrote:We cobbled together an albums worth of live recordings from the last outing.

Just found the live album, this is great. Thanks!
eephour

Re: The Bismarck -Help with Ireland and Germany Contacts

Postby chris jury on Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:38 am

Hey Everyone- Some news: Shows in Port Townsend on Sept 12 and W/ Hurry Up Shotgun, Chung Antique and Porch on Oct 23. We did a remix of the EP and will finally be releasing that in the next few weeks, when it gets all mastered and shit.

Bigger news: We're looking at doing some shows in Ireland and maybe Germany/the continent in late March. We could sure use a hand finding good contacts. Anyone have ideas about where we should play, who we should play with, and who we should talk to about making that happen?
chris jury

Re: The Bismarck -Help with Ireland and Germany Contacts

Postby rappard on Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:53 am

chris jury wrote:Hey Everyone- Some news: Shows in Port Townsend on Sept 12 and W/ Hurry Up Shotgun, Chung Antique and Porch on Oct 23. We did a remix of the EP and will finally be releasing that in the next few weeks, when it gets all mastered and shit.

Bigger news: We're looking at doing some shows in Ireland and maybe Germany/the continent in late March. We could sure use a hand finding good contacts. Anyone have ideas about where we should play, who we should play with, and who we should talk to about making that happen?

Drop me a PM if you need help with Dutch dates.
Robert Bork wrote:[S]ome of the worst rappers are white, like Nine Inch Nails.
rappard
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Re: The Bismarck -New EP and Release Show, Oct 23

Postby chris jury on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:02 am

Hey- So this took a long time to get out, and for no good reason. but here we go. 3 songs about touring the UK. Called The English Hustle. also includes a ramshackle Waylon Jennings cover...

Doing the release at The Victory Lounge, Oct 23, with Porch, Hurry Up Shotgun and Chung Antique. Fuck Yeah.

need to make a smaller file for the poster-
chris jury

Postby chris jury on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:41 am

http://thebismarck.bandcamp.com/

New EP is out. feel like I have now done all the self-interested promotion I can stomach. hope a few of you enjoy it.
chris jury

Postby tallchris on Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:59 pm

Finally checking out the new EP and it's pretty great.

Ike and I need to start our "pressing the Bismarck on vinyl" label already so I can have a physical copy of this to listen to.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Ike on Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:28 pm

TallChris, if I EVER come into a buncha expendable money, that's the first thing I'd do. Bismarck Box Set. Edition of like 10.

I'll put 5 of them up on ebay six years later to pay for dinner with my wife!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously, this ep is fucking amazing. It'd be a perfect 10". Love it so much.
Ike
the white ho
the white ho

Postby chris jury on Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:09 pm

In case it had been too long since you felt like you were trapped in a small room with the 4 of us for a weekend, here is a video about recording The English Hustle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWLoeLoV7yE
chris jury

Re: The Bismarck -Lineup Change/show/tour update

Postby chris jury on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:07 pm

A few of you have been privy- but for the next little while BSMK will be operating as a 3 piece. Nate has some work stuff that is absorbing a lot of time and, as a real-live adult, it makes sense for him to focus on that rather than this hobby.

So Eric is taking over Bass duties (except for 1-2 I'll be playing). We have retrofitted about 20 songs to this format, written a couple new things. Will maybe figure out a few covers for the European tour.

Our first show in this format is a small benefit show for a food bank in a very small mountain town with our pals Chung Antique on the afternoon of Saturday Jan 2nd, in their teen clubhouse.

Dates for our tour are the 8th-16th of April. The only confirmed date is the 8th in Berlin, but more are coming together, per the excellent help of FM ChimChim. I think we will be doing many of these dates with our pals Grant National, and maybe other PRF brothers. stay tuned. If you would like us to play your village, just let us know.
chris jury

The Bismarck -German/ Czech Tour, April 2016

Postby chris jury on Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:37 pm

Hello All- The 3 piece thing is working out a treat. We have a warmup gig at the Substation on March 7 w/ prf bros Freeway Park.

Glad we will be doing this whole tour with our buddies, the punishing Grant National. Good to be with locals who will hopefully steer us away from the worst of our ideas on food/beer/cultural insensitivity. Here is where we sit.

Fri April 8th- Berlin@ Teifgrund
Sat 9th- Hamburg @ Der Clochard w/ FM's Shice Squad (hooray- check them out)
Sun 10th- open
Mon 11th- open
Tue 12th- Bielefeld (unconfirmed)
Wed 13th- Cheb, CZ @ Jazz Rock Cafe
Thu 14th- Koln@ Tsunami
Fri 15th - Monchengladbach @ Stohrsound w/ Shice Squad again
Sat 16th- Mannheim @ Kulturbrucken Jungbusch
sunday we fly home.

-still some hope to fill in the Sunday and Monday, but honestly we're just fine with taking a couple days being tourists and just hanging out. This is our vacation, after all.
chris jury

Re: The Bismarck -German/ Czech Tour, April 2016

Postby jimmy spako on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:34 pm

You might try Vortex Surfer in Siegen.
Just saw Holy Sons and White Void there a few weeks ago, good venue and relatively close to your route.

Maybe you could swing something in FZW in Dortmund or D'jazz in Duisburg in the Ruhr area on relatively short notice too?
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Re: The Bismarck -German/ Czech Tour, April 2016

Postby chris jury on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:58 pm

Thanks for the info. We will get on it.

What town are you in?
chris jury

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion