home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Favorite Defunct Venue(s)

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Favorite Defunct Venue(s)

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:30 pm

atomjackfuser wrote:
The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:
atomjackfuser wrote:The Outhouse has documentary about it now. FM Steve played there once.

Punk rock venue surrounded on three sides by rows of corn a few miles outside of Lawrence,KS. I saw Alice Donut there once.

http://theouthousethefilm.com/index.html

phpBB [media]

Yeesh...not allowing myself nostalgia right now

Sorry dude. My first punk show was there. No worries. It will be there when you're ready. It belongs to the ages now. The after party for the premiere is Toxic Reasons with Ultraman at The Bottleneck. TONIGHT! Now THAT is nostalgia.

I look forward to seeing it eventually. What I can tell you is that the guy Buzz Osborne's talking about had been a roommate of mine back in 91. The guy who clocked him was a guy who, when I'd booked a Steel Pole Bath Tub show at the Outhouse started yelling at me because he said the show was booked and happened without his blessing. He clocked my friend because he thought my roommate was a guy who'd dared stand up to him at a NoMeansNo show in KC, like, a week before. Police reports were filed and charges pressed but, as far as I know, that dude never met any real justice over it.

Another thing about this shitbag- at the time, so many of the local skins carried this 'anti-racist' posture and would want to fight kids over their boot laces. This guy used to openly spout white power shit and they never said jack shit to him.

I'm willing to bet dude probably watched the trailer, and upon the Melvins segment probably grinned to himself, thinking 'der-her I did that.'

So, you know, I look forward to seeing it. I have some enduring friendships from the time and some very fond memories. But, especially due to some semi-recent social media interactions, there are people associated with that time who can fuck off forever.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Seby on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:17 pm

The Phoenician Club and the Hopetoun Hotel, both in Sydney

K17 in Berlin

Trouw in Amsterdam

Zodiac in Oxford
Seby
agnes martin
agnes martin

Postby Janeway on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:09 am

the note and ronny's in chicago. and my favorite burger place peppers is gone too which would've been cool to play a show in a burger joint so, we'll just... have to keep making more venues.
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby total_douche on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:52 am

The Triple Rock's closing in November; I really liked that place. They had good poutine. I guess that sort of counts. Most of the bands I've seen were just random acts at local bars, and the few genuine "venues" I've been to are still open (First Avenue, et c).
total_douche
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby rgauss on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:09 am

Raji's and Jabberjaw in Los Angeles. Especially Raji's, it always felt comfortable.
rgauss
andy warhol
andy warhol

Postby Tom Lael is Dogs on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:39 pm

I no longer live there, but the Slow Bar in Nashville was a great, casual venue and comfy place to hang. And it had the best jukebox I've ever seen. I saw Superdrag's "secret" farewell-gig-warmup-show there, and seem to remember there being maybe 20-or-so other people in attendance; maybe my memory's faulty. Regardless, Nashville just didn't feel as cool to me after it closed.

After I moved back home, 12th & Porter closed. It had the best sound of any venue I've ever been in; when I saw my first show there, I felt like I'd arrived in a real music city. They used to do a weekly Sunday-night showcase called "12 at 12th," where 12 (or so) different local bands would play two songs each on the house gear; it was the greatest thing ever. The place has since reopened as a restaurant/venue, and I hear from locals that it's not the same. (That their calendar currently lists only one show, in November, would seem to bear that out.)

Being from Indianapolis, every local venue here that I ever played or frequented is now a defunct venue (with the exception of the Emerson, and I hated that place). But I most miss Smedley's Dream, a small sandwich-and-ice-cream shop whose owner started hosting all ages shows. It was like a co-op: the bands booked the bill and supplied the P.A., and you could charge whatever you wanted, or nothing at all, while Smedley made his money on sandwiches, drinks, and ice cream. I think FM Ben Adrian's band might have been the first band to play there, if I recall correctly.
Tom Lael is Dogs
corporal
corporal

Postby numberthirty on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:57 pm

While it fits into a sort of thread "No Man's Land", I'm gonna say the original "Lakeview Links" location of The Bottom Lounge.

I saw a lot of great shows there, and the new location feels like they just should have renamed the place.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby WoundedFoot on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:52 pm

numberthirty wrote:While it fits into a sort of thread "No Man's Land", I'm gonna say the original "Lakeview Links" location of The Bottom Lounge.

I saw a lot of great shows there, and the new location feels like they just should have renamed the place.

Old Bottom Lounge was pretty great. Not gonna lie. Would go to punk shows there a few times a month in my teens.
WoundedFoot
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Previous

Return to General Discussion