home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Favorite Defunct Venue(s)

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Favorite Defunct Venue(s)

Postby Ranxerox on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:59 pm

I miss Akron's Lime Spider. It was nothing special and most of the music I saw there was uninspired (Taking Pictures was about the only band I saw that I thought was good -- sorry Black Keys). It was one of the few alternative spaces Akron has had and I loved Danny, the owner's, willingness to put together a counter-cultural space. I went whenever I could.

Akron also used to have a late 80s spot, The Bauhaus, that lasted only a year or so. Was there a lot.

Cleveland -- as noted, the Euc was awesome. One of my favorite shows of all time was there (The Jesus Lizard/Jack-o-Nuts). Saw Spoon there with about 10 people. Same for a great show in '98 with Uzeda/Paul Newman. Loved the local bands, too, like the horrible yet cuddly Floyd Band.

The Cleveland Underground room from the 80s was a true shithole -- Groin, Death of Samantha, Knifedance, etc.

Is Peabody's Down Under still around? Many shows there,including Wire, Adolescents, etc. The security guy there back in the 80s looked like Andrew Eldritch -- everyone called him Lizard. He was like a punk rock policeman.

Speak in Tongues was a great DIY venue. Saw a number of shows there in the mid-90s.

There used to be a place called Babylon A-Go-Go which was fun and had some memorable shows (Laughing Hyenas/Northern Bushmen and Buck Naked and the Bare Bottom Boys).

Kent had JBs Down (many shows -- MDC, Husker Du, etc.).

Columbus used to have Stache's. Great club. Saw many shows there. Played there with Monster Truck Five and Stinking Lizaveta.

Lounge Ax, natch.

Emo's Red River in Austin, natch.

Austin has had so many come and go. I miss the Ritz, though it always sounded like shit. Was it ever a dump. Speaking of which, the Cavity was amazing -- puke on the pool table. Liberty Lunch was a wonderful dream ruined by bankers and city hall. The Blue Flamingo was great -- Melt-Banana in a walk-in closet, transvestites dancing to 90s noise, the manager, Miss Laura (real name Eurie - Ha! -- found his/her wallet in the middle of the road once).
Ranxerox
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Ranxerox wrote:Austin has had so many come and go. I miss the Ritz, though it always sounded like shit. Was it ever a dump. Speaking of which, the Cavity was amazing -- puke on the pool table. Liberty Lunch was a wonderful dream ruined by bankers and city hall. The Blue Flamingo was great -- Melt-Banana in a walk-in closet, transvestites dancing to 90s noise, the manager, Miss Laura (real name Eurie - Ha! -- found his/her wallet in the middle of the road once).

Electric Lounge? Also prey to bankers and city hall.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Robert G on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Ranxerox wrote:Is Peabody's Down Under still around? Many shows there,including Wire, Adolescents, etc. The security guy there back in the 80s looked like Andrew Eldritch -- everyone called him Lizard. He was like a punk rock policeman.

Currently it sits on the corner of East 21st and Euclid, attached to a Rascal House Pizza. It moved out of the Flats in 1995, and changed its name to just "Peabody's." It's essentially owned/operated by one of those manipulating "entertainment" agencies right now, in this case one called Gorilla Productions. It's the worst.
Robert G
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Adam P on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:32 pm

Seconded that the "new" Peabody's is awful. I only go there if absolutely necessary.

The old Peabody's was probably most notable for its two (non-matching) support pillars right in the middle of the audience area, one of which had a peanut dispenser attached to it.

It moved a little later than 1995, though, because I saw shows there that I drove myself to and I didn't get my license until '97.
Adam P
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Ranxerox on Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:30 am

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:Electric Lounge? Also prey to bankers and city hall.

Yup. Sad to see shiny shirt douche bags grind so many great clubs to the heel.

Used to go to the EL after work and sit and sort of brainstorm with Mark and Jay about how the club might really get up on its feet. Just fun. I am not sure that they had even started having regular music at that point. For weeks they showed old cartoons that had been banned for racist/racial or sexist/sexy content. Some guy had a collection. That was supposed to be a draw. Great space - poetry, theatre, rock, art openings, etc. While I always had the feeling that Mark and Jay were both more or less ready to let it die when they got shoved into the dirt by big money, the way that kind of shit has so often gone down here in A-Town just rubs wrong.
Ranxerox
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby yard barf on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:10 pm

L' Emile Vache in Metz, France is the best place I have ever played, and the first Bitter Tears show there was the best show we ever did, and unfortunately I heard they have closed for Lounge Ax reasons (neighbors).

What a wild joint full of homos and beard-o's and bored-o's. They poured some nasty brown orange liquor called Picon (?) into everything we drank, despite our furious objections. We were so tired and sleepless and sick with colds and angry at being so tired and sleepless and sick. It was like playing in a dream. I remember being shocked to discover that the unruly maniacs at the show were the people who worked there! But they weren't unruly maniacs, they were just really fun people who liked to go innocently berzerk when the moment presented itself.

Playing there felt like splattering a bunch of people who just wanted to get splattered on and laugh and dare you on. It was dumb and fun and the French kiss you until you don't understand who or what is going on.

They fed us like kings and put us up in beautiful old hotels.

Mendoza wrote about our two visits to this fantastic place:

http://bittertearstour.blogspot.com/200 ... rance.html
http://bittertearstour.blogspot.com/201 ... etz-france.
http://bittertearstour.blogspot.com/201 ... ation.html

Lounge Ax was such an incredible place. I saw so many great shows there, and as a young man I met a lot of people in that place and my life changed direction cause of them.

There was another place up Lincoln a bit, a theatre space. Holy shit why can't I remember the name of this place? I saw like 50+ great shows there: out jazz, rock, senior citizens doing German cabaret. It was nutso good. The Gallery Cabaret!! I miss that place.
yard barf
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby BobbyPeru on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:15 am

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.. but the original 9:30 Club in DC was pretty amazing. Saw so many great shows there, but most memorable would probably be Nirvana opening for Loop in 1990.
BobbyPeru
huey newton
huey newton

Postby atomjackfuser on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:21 pm

The Outhouse has documentary about it now. FM Steve played there once.

Punk rock venue surrounded on three sides by rows of corn a few miles outside of Lawrence,KS. I saw Alice Donut there once.

http://theouthousethefilm.com/index.html

phpBB [media]
Last edited by atomjackfuser on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atomjackfuser
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Pasta on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:31 pm

Portland had 2 pretty legendary ckubs. Satyricon hosted EVERYTHING. but was a bar.

The XRay Cafe was a bizarre little hole, all ages. Anything went, we would be there 5 or 6 nights a week. Metal, anarcho, indie, "grunge", performance art. There's a documentary about it.
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby AdamN on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Otto's in DeKalb, IL. Saw Shellac there in 2002 or 2003 and saw the last show there in 2012, Melvins/Unsane. A greasy shithole with a few poles placed in unfortunate positions, had many decent college memories there.

(The) Jesus Lizard played there a few times but that was before my time.
AdamN
intestine
intestine

Postby numberthirty on Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:47 am

AdamN wrote:Otto's in DeKalb, IL. Saw Shellac there in 2002 or 2003 and saw the last show there in 2012, Melvins/Unsane. A greasy shithole with a few poles placed in unfortunate positions, had many decent college memories there.

(The) Jesus Lizard played there a few times but that was before my time.

See when I think of that place, that later period you mentioned is always the furthest thing from my mind.

Way back when, some friends lived just down the street from there, and it was just an easy place to go. Saw about a zillion "Group Of Kids "X" Started A Band" bands at that place. A few of those bands were some of my favorite shows ever.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:51 am

numberthirty wrote:Actually, Malo's. Total dive. Too many lousy metal shows to count. It was usually fun.

Thinking back on this one...

I went to see a friend's band that was a country leaning indie rock band play Malo's. I got there maybe ten minutes into their set. After they played, one of them mentioned that they thought someone might throw something if they didn't open with something from Master Of Puppets.
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:53 am

While it wasn't always my first pick, when Double Door got a good show it was a great one.

They deserve some sort of a merit badge for that alone.
numberthirty

Postby chumpchange on Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:53 am

Pasta wrote:Portland had 2 pretty legendary ckubs. Satyricon hosted EVERYTHING. but was a bar.

The XRay Cafe was a bizarre little hole, all ages. Anything went, we would be there 5 or 6 nights a week. Metal, anarcho, indie, "grunge", performance art. There's a documentary about it.

Even though were were from Vancouver, BC, these are two of the places I was going to mention. We played both and enjoyed them for different reasons. The area around the Satyricon was a bit rough and the club had water pipes above the full length of the property facing the sidewalk to provide a constant drizzle to discourage the drug dealers from loitering. I remember playing shows with Hitting Birth and Tsao Jones. The X-Ray Cafe was smaller and had more personality. We made friends with the owners and returned a few more times.

Vancouver in the '80s and '90s had three small clubs (250+ capacity) that hosted the lion's share of touring and local independent bands: The Town Pump, the Cruel Elephant, and Club Soda (later renamed as the Starfish Room). Many, many memorable shows were attended, including Scrawl, The Jesus Lizard, Nomeansno, Poster Children, Shellac, Melvins, Tad, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Mudhoney, Swans, JSBE, Neurosis, Sun City Girls...
chumpchange
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby gaetano on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:57 am

No Fun, Udine, Italy. Certainly not a famous venue, but it was the venue I used to run, and sometimes I miss it.
Few "relevant" gigs: Enon, Brian Ritchie of Violent Femmes, Bear Claw from Chicago, Scott McCloud, Geoff Farina, but also a ton of independent Italian bands. And the place looked a lot like the Cavern Club!
(in the photo, Annie Hall, from Brescia, near Milan)

gaetano
osama bin laden
osama bin laden

Postby noise&light on Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:44 pm

turnbullac wrote:Tonic in the LES
The Tribeca Knitting Factory
Under Acme
Max Fish (not a venue)
Luna Lounge in the LES

I miss new york c. 1996-1998 a lot now.

You and I must have spent a bunch of time in the same places before we really knew each other.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:56 pm

atomjackfuser wrote:The Outhouse has documentary about it now. FM Steve played there once.

Punk rock venue surrounded on three sides by rows of corn a few miles outside of Lawrence,KS. I saw Alice Donut there once.

phpBB [media]

Yeesh...not allowing myself nostalgia right now
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby atomjackfuser on Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:34 pm

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:
atomjackfuser wrote:The Outhouse has documentary about it now. FM Steve played there once.

phpBB [media]

Yeesh...not allowing myself nostalgia right now

Sorry dude. My first punk show was there. No worries. It will be there when you're ready. It belongs to the ages now. The after party for the premiere is Toxic Reasons with Ultraman at The Bottleneck. TONIGHT! Now THAT is nostalgia.
atomjackfuser
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:30 pm

The Cooler, NYC. Shiny, stainless-steel, converted downstairs meat locker w/hooks still hanging from the ceiling. Played there more times than I can recall, saw shows there more than that. On far W. 14th St, when the Meatpacking District was still a hotbed of weirdness and not a post-Sex & the City tourist and sorority hellhole. Not unusual to be loading out your equipment, watching the meat processing guys in the neighboring buildings hose down their facilities, making the streets run w/beef blood. Dumpsters filled w/bones and raunchy transvestite prostitutes walking by and sassing you. Gay S/M sex clubs around the corner. Quite atmospheric. The old Spanish warhorse tapas joint Rio Mar and the all-purpose French bistro Florent (both RIP) nearby for great, late-night eating. Bookings ranged from indie rock to avant-electronic to noise to seriously out jazz. Free on Mondays. 1994-2001 or so?

Room Temperature, Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Anything-goes, illegal-feeling party space w/excellent bands (Circle X, Dustdevils, Unsane) run by a WFMU DJ and one of the guys behind another long-gone club called Keep Refrigerated. Back in the days when Williamsburg felt half industrial and lawless and half a place for Latino, Italian, and Orthodox Jewish people to raise exceptionally large families. Add a sprinkle of artists and stir. I remember someone cooking Indian food there once between bands. Early '90s.

Kill Time, Philadelphia. Massive and raw squatter-run warehouse space in West Philly that often got rather loud. Buy your beer via carry-out from the funky R&B bar across the street. Venue would host anything from an Act Up benefit w/boys and girls dancing in cages to Rat at Rat R. The more hardcore-oriented Stalag 13 was practically next door. 1980s thru late 1990s or perhaps beyond?

City Gardens, Trenton. Actually, sort of an awful place. At the same time, the fact that it was often all ages coupled w/the typically unhinged violence of the audiences here made for quite a charged atmosphere. In a seriously fucked-up neighborhood. Supposedly Jon Stewart worked there as a bartender. A rite of passage for touring hardcore bands. Someone made a movie about this joint. I've never seen it. 1979 thru early or middle 1990s.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby tidalcast on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Firehouse 13 in Providence RI. Now it's been turned into a p2p shithole by the new owners, but when John and Windsong were running it, that was probably my favorite place to play in New England. The people were great, the crowds were killer no matter how big it was, and I could always count on some quality weirdness at some point through the night. Gave a nice home to some weirdo artists too, which they definitely didn't have to do.
tidalcast
streetsweeper
streetsweeper

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion