Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

PRF Summer BBQ 2014 Chicago Schedule and Lineup News

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:06 pm

PRF BBQ 2014 Chicago, IL
June 19th-22nd.

Buy passes now! 40 bucks 3 day pass, for the 20th-23rd
The 19th will be a separate event

http://www.prfbbq.com/

Ok, unless someone tells me they can do better, this is the most bands I could figure out a way to (somewhat) realistically fit into the 4 day span of what I have to work with.

Thurs
Livewire Lounge

The PreRF BBQ Thursday Night Lights PRF Chicago Power Run

5:15-5:45 Magia Nuda (Chicago)
6:00-6:30 The Heroine Complex (Chicago)
6:45-7:15 Stomatopod (Chicago)
7:30-8:00 My Canadian Girlfriend (Chicago)
8:15-8:45 Royal Pines (Chicago)
9:00-9:30 The Cell Phones (Chicago)
9:45-10:15 Primes (NYC)
10:30-11:00 Whales (Chicago)
11:15-12:00 TBA
12:15- The Yow Yow Yows (Bloomington's Premier Jesus Lizard live tribute experience) (Bloomington)

Friday

Borelli's

The PRFBBQ 2014 Official Kick Off Get Down Boogie Ass Jam

7:00-7:30 The Rutabega (South Bend)
7:35-8:05 The Book-Burners (Great Lakes Region)
8:10-8:40 Fake Limbs (Chicago)

(Basement) 8:45-9:15 Gay Name (Chicago, NYC & Milwaukee)

9:20-10:05 Brett Eugene Ralph's Kentucky Chrome Revue (Louisville)
10:10-10:40 Velcro Lewis Group (Chicago)
10:45- A Very PRF Live Band Karaoke Tribute to Touch & Go records (Parts Unknown)
(click for sign up info)

Saturday

K's Dugout

The PRF BBQ 2014 Bloody Mary Early Worm Brunch
w/ Transmontane, Tim Midyett & Chris Brokaw

Borelli's

PRF BBQ 2014

12:00-12:30 Like Like The The The Death (Milwaukee)
12:35-1:05 Tyranny is Tyranny (Madison)
1:10-1:40 Chung Antique (Seattle)

1:45-2:15 Self Evident (Minneapolis)
2:20-2:50 The Fervor (Louisville)
2:55-3:25 The Bismarck (Seattle)

(In the basement)
3:30- 4:00 Real Live Dress (Chicago)

4:10-4:40 Magpies (Missoula)
4:45-5:15 Hungry Man (Chicago)
5:20-5:50 Jap Herron (Chicago)

6:00-6:30 Motherfucker (Athens)
6:35-7:05 Couch Flambeau (Milwaukee)

(Rooftop Performance):
7:10-7:40 Small Awesome (Chicago)

7:45-8:15 The Columbines (Chicago)
8:20-9:20 Hum (Champaign)

9:30-10:00 Dianogah (Chicago)
10:05-10:35 Marthas Vineyard Ferries (Massachusetts)
10:40-11:10 Pinebender (Chicago)
11:15- F/I (Milwaukee)

Sunday
Borelli's

12:00-12:30 Songs of the Pawners' Society (Chicago)
12:35-1:05 Burn Permits (Chicago)
1:10-1:40 SEMINARS (Seattle)

1:45-2:15 French Goodbye (Chicago)
2:20-2:50 We Ride On (NYC)
2:55-3:25 RB (North)
3:30-4:00 Dead Halos (Louisville)

4:05-4:35 Bad Models (NYC)
4:40-5:10 Minutes (Kalamazoo)
5:15-5:45 Electrical Collision Horse (Chicago)

5:50-6:20 Crown Larks
6:25-6:55 San Andreas Fault (Chicago)
7:00-7:30 Redgrave (Chicago)

7:35-8:05 Burned or Buried (Chicago)
8:10-8:40 Nonagon (Chicago)
8:45-9:15 Velocicopter (Chicago)

9:20-9:50 We Are Hex (Indianapolis)
9:55-10:25 Electric Hawk (Chicago)
10:30-11:30 Dead Rider (Chicago)

Listen, be prepared!

http://prfbbq2014.bandcamp.com/album/prf-bbq-2014-the-bandcamp
Last edited by Marsupialized on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 83 times in total.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Re: PRF Summer BBQ 2014 Chicago Schedule and Lineup News

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:16 pm

Any bands who would prefer to play Thurs, please let me know ASAP.

Any bands who are wondering if you have a spot feel free to PM or email me, you would not be bothering me, will make it easier for me to touch bases with all the bands that way.
Marsupialized

Postby Marsupialized on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:43 pm

For the record, that Pile band some of you wanted to see is NOT playing, after all. We tried, it was a thing, now it's not.
I am going to start filling in those blanks after Thundersnow.
Marsupialized

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:22 pm

I will start adding a band a day.

I want each band to have a day where we post links to their stuff, a little thing someone can write about them, etc..

There are a LOT of bands playing and I want each to get a little moment in the sun.

First, to end Saturday night we will be witnessing one of my all time favorites, who've agreed to strap it on and take us out into the outer realms on a special lysergic delivery.

F/I.

Every person I've told who understood what this is has stopped and said 'F/I from Milwaukee? The Psychedelic space rock F/I? Really?

I will answer:

Yes, the F/I from Milwaukee, the psychedelic space rock F/I. They are playing the fucking BBQ. Yes, really.

I first came to know the music of F/I through my old upstairs neighbor, acid freak, lunatic, posted extremely racist things to this very board for a short spell many years ago. Some folks here have met him, he's as nuts as a person can get, I used to like him a lot. Anyhow, he was deeply into bizarre, I guess you call it 'outsider' music, would almost exclusively date performance artist type chicks who would do shows at art galleries in weird feathered costumes yelling BEEP BEEP BEEP over nintendo sounding music and whatnot, he had a long string of them. That was his ideal.
One party, at some gallery on North avenue, I told the story about pushing the motorcycle off the roof to some of you, we are tripping ass and being assholes, as was the norm back then, and in one of the rooms they are blasting the most AWESOME heavy space hawkwind sounding shit I'd ever heard, I sat there for probably 3 hours an inch from the speakers as it all washed over me, not a minute sucked. I asked all these people who it was and eventually found out it was a band called F/I. I tried and tried to find anything by them, put an order in at Reckless for anything that ever came in, call me. Like, a year later they actually did. Some dude sold copies of 'Paradise out here' and 'Space Mantra', do I want them? YES, motherfucker, be down in ten.

We used to have a speaker system wired in that building where I could put on a record in my apartment and it would blast all throughout the building. For almost a year straight those LP's were nearly on repeat, over and over. Every experience I had there, every nutso bit of narcotic frolic, every sexual free for all party, every laughing fit, every hallucination, all soundtracked by these records. It was my apartment, the den of sin, the lunatic and random feathered beeper girls upstairs, two strippers next door, extremely flamboyant African gay dude (flamboyant like wore a cape, all the time, even sitting watching TV) above them and some Velvet Underground looking veteran dude nobody ever really saw in the basement.
This band is my sound track to those memories, that time in my life, and I am doing fucking backflips about this fucking miracle of awesome which has befallen us, having them take part.

get aquainted with their work:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/94864-Fi

http://www.sixthstation.com/fi/fi2.html

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Welcome aboard, F/I I am pretty fucking excited to see you play in an old Giordanos in Chicago.
Marsupialized

Postby RikSmits on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:15 pm

That first track is pretty fuckin' great. Never heard this band. Thank you.
Unless they change their infrastructure, they're not ready for a punk show.
RikSmits
les miserables
les miserables

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:23 pm

Dig into the discography, you will not regret it. It's a fun band to be into because there's so much stuff, it's all pretty much good and it's super hard to find.
Marsupialized

Postby DrAwkward on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:12 pm

Redline playing two sets at the BBQ = huge get.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:21 pm

#PRFBBQBANDWRITEUP

MINUTES

We are lucky enough to have MINUTES joining us at the PRF BBQ in 2014.

Many of you know this band. Many of you love this band. This is because you are smart people of good taste.

About MINUTES. They’re from Kalamazoo. They’ve all kicked around bands in one form or another over the past ten or fifteen years doing all sorts of cool shit all over the country. But in 2010, they released what is what one of my all-time favorite recordings, their self-titled 7” EP. Holy shit, I had no idea what was coming my way.

You see, here’s the deal. MINUTES came along for me at a time when I really needed a band to anchor me to the planet. You know the feeling? Shit’s up in the air, craziness is all around, you’re kind of swept up in some tsunami that’s fucking up your shit, but then there’s this band that emerges and cuts through the shit and tells you that everything’s gonna be cool. Not because of some shit they preach, but because of the way they rock and they way they conduct themselves in the world of rock.

They’re just in command of this thing of theirs, and this thing is an obvious expression of happiness to be making music with and for one another. And as a result, their music becomes this thing that you go back to non-stop, and you need it as much as you want it, you basically become comrades with the sounds they make. It speaks for you in every way, just totally vibrates in your frequency.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve played “Float and Breathe”. It’s gotta be in the thousands, I bet. Seriously, I am 100% gonzo crazy for MINUTES. Every release is fantastic, not a weak moment in the catalog.

They were and are perfect for me, pretty much, and I love them beyond measure. From seeing them the first time at a coffee shop in Holland MI to a couple of thrilling, sweat-soaked summer shows in a Kalamazoo basement, they always hit me dead on. Jesus, how many times have I seen MINUTES?

For the uninitiated, the obvious touchstones here are Mission of Burma and the Minutemen, and there’s Wire in there, too -- and a lot of what you might call the “Dischord sound”, if that means anything. But none of those really hit the descriptive mark entirely. MINUTES really is MINUTES, all RIYLs aside.

Just a rock band, just a bunch of cool, friendly dudes who obviously love hanging out together.

And they rule.

We are lucky to have them joining us.

Listen to:

"I Was 19, You Were 20" from Minutes Seven-inch (2010)
"Hey Nineteen" from Self-Titled LP (2012)
"Paring Knife" from Roland (2013)
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby Dovey on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:20 pm

FUCK

YES
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:56 am

Yeah! Minutes! Fuckin' A!
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Marsupialized on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:10 am

Anyone interested in writing a piece on any of the bands performing, please let me know and I will give you the list and you can pick one, people who have the list, go ahead write and post, include links to the band's bandcamp and videos, etc...you know the deal. Let's start filling those spaces out up there!
Marsupialized

Postby NewDarkAge on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:30 pm

The Rutabega

Goddamn, what an honour to be writing about this band.

My experience with The Rutabega began after the last BBQ. Their name was emerging more and more on the PRF as people were going crazy about how amazing this band had apparently been, so naturally I checked them out. I was (of course) expecting aluminium precision beard noise, but lo and behold there were these two schmucks, singing a song about picking teams and a shaman or something. Wtf?

I liked it, but slept on it for a while. Later, when I was in Montenegro, I found myself with lots of time on my hands, and for some reason I thought to return to this band and get the album.

Driving along the Bay of Kotor in 40 degree sunshine with this glorious music filling my head is the sort of thing that I know will stay vivid in my mind for as long as I care to think. Even thinking about it now gives me a funny feeling in my gut. I'm convinced it's some kind of primal thing, a pure, visceral reaction beyond logical explanation. This is why grown-ass men find themselves in tears halfway through their songs.

The Rutabega succeed where other bands fail because there is no distance between these two guys and the music they make. The personalities, beauty, sadness, passions of these dudes are all there in the music, and they express all this so purely that anyone could find at least a little of their own selves in what the Rutabega does. They don't have to put on their rock suits or calculate their approach or anything like that. There is no leap of faith required to accept this music, unreservedly, into your heart. Truly great music transcends written explanation, which is why I haven't talked about what the guitar playing sounds like or how Josh sings, because that would be missing the point. The Rutabega is exhibit A in music as a force of human nature.

I know you're meant to put bands that sound like the band you're talking about in these write-ups, but there is no band that does what The Rutabega does in any similar capacity. Okay, think of how your favourite music in the world makes you feel. There's your comparison.

After all this spiel, I guess there is only one way I can really express how important the Rutabega is to me. I'm illegally missing school and flying thousands of miles across an ocean, primarily to see this band. There is no exaggeration there, that's a fact.

CARP ON!
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge

Postby Dovey on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Wow.

Wow wow wow wow wow. I didn't think the rutabega would be playing after seeing that they did Thundersnow.

All of my dreams are coming true.
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey

Postby jacobwilliam on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:14 pm

If I miss the Rutabega again I give permission for someone to kick me in the nuts.
jacobwilliam
wayne thiebaud
wayne thiebaud

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:57 pm

Writers, go ahead and post!
Marsupialized

Postby Sowley on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:56 pm

Real Live Dress

a cross blending of psychedelic, glacial drones and hypnotic repetitive minimal house, Real Live Dress is heady music for everyone who swung and missed because they swung. Constructed on the fly the core make-up is a set of eyes and hands nervously twitching unruly bass, loping feedback, broken 45s back masked and then melted, contact mics, and a tiny synthesizer that gets way too much overload. Pedals as well (of course there are pedals!) As equally informed by the work of Detroit techno pioneers Drexciya as it is the bright maximalism of Phil Niblock, each piece relies on failure and mistakes as a means for revelation. It is only fitting that this debut (and perhaps final?) performance should take place in the basement.
Stephen Sowley
scsowley@gmail.com

"...When last year, I spent more money on spilled liquor in bars from one side of this world to the other, than you made."--Ric Flair
Sowley
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby tallchris on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:34 pm

phpBB [media]

SEMINARS

No nonsense ball out punk rock straight from the unfiltered from the id of Police Teeth's James Burns, SEMINARS rip shit up without apologies. Downstrokes, ALL CAPS, but like all of James' other bands, there are actual FUCKING SONGS here people, not just some riffs bunched together with no skill. And James has once again matched himself with a great rhythm section, including Milwaukee ex-pat Thom Geibel on drums and Casey Nolan on bass.

You can download their shit at the Bandcamps, and hey, maybe James will sell you a cassette as long you weren't posting a bunch of nonsense in the cassette tape C/NC thread.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby choppy on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:40 pm

LIKE LIKE THE THE THE DEATH

Have you ever thought about the upside of inbreeding? It can't be completely negative, after a couple of generations of hemophiliac royals and hip dysplasia, no one would be interested. No, whether planned or not, desired traits are brought to the forefront this way, as well it goes with bands. Break-ups leave undesirable, incongruent characteristics behind. And so, like a prize Sealyham Terrier springs forth Milwaukee's unequaled finest, Like Like The The The Death.

Kyle Scheuer's knack for pop and off-kilter bass lines fight wonderfully with Tony Weber's often screeching guitar and vocals. Michael Marchant's post-whatever-you-like guitar puts the filigrees on before Dan Hanke's powerful drums set the pace at a run. Their songwriting improves with every album and will put the most unlikely refrains rocketing through your skull.

Keep the hot tub running, Like Like are on their way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBK4nYq ... ions=false
Get friends, keep friends, be a friend, always.
choppy
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby numberthirty on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:48 pm

tallchris wrote:You can download their shit at the Bandcamps, and hey, maybe James will sell you a cassette as long you weren't posting a bunch of nonsense in the cassette tape C/NC thread.

It's just settling down over there. Why are you trying to kick it back off?
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby tallchris on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:55 pm

phpBB [media]

The Bismarck don't make it easy to like them. They're really loud. You can't buy their CDs or LP from their Bandcamp. They might seem like pricks when they're just trying to be funny. They're set in their ways, like the stubborn old North Dakota men they'll eventually turn into. Scratch that, they're actually already stubborn old guys from North Dakota, they've just gotten even more stubborn and cantankerous trying to ply their craft in hype conscious Seattle.

BUT, these dudes can write songs with hooks for days. Songs about boxers and baseball players and hipsters and the life of being in a shit band are filled with anthemic choruses, pounding mustache drums, discordant guitar melodies, and the steady basslines of Nate "what are you eating now?" Marshall.

They also have the funniest on-stage banter of any band I've seen, second only to Shellac.

You can stream all their albums at their Bandcamp, but to get the real experience of what it is to be The Bismarck, start with one of their tour documentaries:

phpBB [media]
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris

Next

Return to General Discussion