home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

MLB 2015

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

MLB 2015

Postby a leg plaster on Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:49 pm

New year, new thread. Oakland traded an ex-Mariner in Jaso and two of their top prospects to the Rays for Zobrist and Escobar today. In doing so, Oakland has traded for the player I wanted the most on the Mariners (Zobrist) and also earlier this off season signed Billy Butler via free agency, who I always expected to end up with Seattle for some reason. Funny how that worked out. The AL West is going to be fun as hell to watch in 2015.
(exaggeration)
User avatar
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:23 am
Location: seattleish

Re: MLB 2015

Postby Angus Jung on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:18 pm

Whatever one thinks of the Josh Donaldson trade, the Oakland Athletics' infield is now, without a doubt, way better than last year's.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8751
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: MLB 2015

Postby samizdat on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:08 pm

If you had told me at the beginning of 2014 that the Rays would trade David Price, Wil Myers, and Ben Zobrist in the next calendar year, I would be envisioning a hefty return that would remake the franchise's future in a big way.

Instead, they got: Nick Franklin, Drew Smyly, Willy Adames (Price); Steven Souza, Travis Ott, Rene Rivera, Burch Smith, Jake Bauers (Myers); and John Jaso, Daniel Robertson, Boog Powell (Zobrist)

I realize that prospects are often the X factor and fans underestimate them because there's no immediate impact, that the Rays received a bunch of them, and that they can be awfully tough to project, but not a single prospect they've received ranked in Baseball Prospectus's top 101 prospects for 2014.

Maybe they're sandbagging it so they can move to Montreal?
I do not want to choose between
the right and wrong sides of the world,
and I do not like a choice to be made.—Albert Camus
User avatar
samizdat
district attourney
district attourney
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:22 am
Location: Under a permacloud

Re: MLB 2015

Postby Jeremy B on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:12 pm

samizdat wrote:If you had told me at the beginning of 2014 that the Rays would trade David Price, Wil Myers, and Ben Zobrist in the next calendar year, I would be envisioning a hefty return that would remake the franchise's future in a big way.

Instead, they got: Nick Franklin, Drew Smyly, Willy Adames (Price); Steven Souza, Travis Ott, Rene Rivera, Burch Smith, Jake Bauers (Myers); and John Jaso, Daniel Robertson, Boog Powell (Zobrist)



The insistence on getting Souza, instead of Trea Turner (the PTBNL the Nationals will receive), makes no sense to me. Souza is already 25 and just had is first solid minor league season. Turner is younger, and plays a harder position. Just doesn't compute. Beyond that, the Rays have done a good job of rebuilding their team moving forward.

samizdat wrote:Maybe they're sandbagging it so they can move to Montreal?


There seems to be a growing chorus of people in the game who want Montreal to have a team again. It would be great to have a team playing there, but they would need a brand new stadium, and history has shown that trying to get Montreal to shell out for that is a losing endeavor. Either way, Oakland and Tampa Bay are one and two on the list for relocation, whether it's Montreal, Portland, or Vegas.
Jon Fine wrote:What had started out as free and welcoming ended up becoming as rigid and rule-bound as everything I'd hoped it would replace.
User avatar
Jeremy B
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:48 pm
Location: Ladies Dormitory, 90066

Re: MLB 2015

Postby Angus Jung on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:49 am

Jeremy B wrote:Either way, Oakland and Tampa Bay are one and two on the list for relocation, whether it's Montreal, Portland, or Vegas.

MLB-to-Portland seems to be a non-starter. The AAA team left town 3-4 years ago and was replaced by a hugely popular MLS (soccer) franchise. I don't hear anybody talking about bringing MLB up here any more.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8751
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: MLB 2015

Postby samizdat on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:31 am

Jeremy B wrote:The insistence on getting Souza, instead of Trea Turner (the PTBNL the Nationals will receive), makes no sense to me. Souza is already 25 and just had is first solid minor league season. Turner is younger, and plays a harder position. Just doesn't compute.


I felt the same way. I just don't see why Souza was their guy. Trea Turner makes so much more sense, so you'll get no argument from me there.

Jeremy B wrote:Beyond that, the Rays have done a good job of rebuilding their team moving forward.


It's so hard for some schlub like me to vehemently disagree with you. I figure even the most astute fan knows perhaps 1% of the information that the front office does (that's probably being generous), so how can he or she really assess what was exchanged and whether fair market value was received? I try to give management the benefit of the doubt, seeing that they have hundreds of millions of dollars riding on their decisions, and I have an internet connection and a subscription to Baseball Prospectus.

That being said, the Cubs got Addison Russell and change from the A's for Samardzija and Hammel. I'd feel so much better if there had been one Russell-type prospect in the Rays' haul.

But it will be years before anyone can really say who won these deals.

Jeremy B wrote:There seems to be a growing chorus of people in the game who want Montreal to have a team again. It would be great to have a team playing there, but they would need a brand new stadium, and history has shown that trying to get Montreal to shell out for that is a losing endeavor. Either way, Oakland and Tampa Bay are one and two on the list for relocation, whether it's Montreal, Portland, or Vegas.


I feel like Montreal had their shot. They simply did not support that team. I wonder what's changed other than the absence of baseball. That feeling would be quickly forgotten after a few years. I just don't see any reason why they should get another shot a mere decade later.

Too bad there's no room in Brooklyn for a park and too bad there's such a thing as territorial rights. Brooklyn would be the next best place for a team to relocate. Or at least, I would love to see a team there again.
I do not want to choose between
the right and wrong sides of the world,
and I do not like a choice to be made.—Albert Camus
User avatar
samizdat
district attourney
district attourney
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:22 am
Location: Under a permacloud

Re: MLB 2015

Postby gjp on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:34 am

samizdat wrote:I feel like Montreal had their shot. They simply did not support that team. I wonder what's changed other than the absence of baseball. That feeling would be quickly forgotten after a few years. I just don't see any reason why they should get another shot a mere decade later.

I don't know too much about baseball, but I was just in Montreal, and there were a fuck ton of kids wearing Expos hats and jackets. They still sell them in stores.
Last edited by gjp on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3017
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:51 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: MLB 2015

Postby samizdat on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:42 am

Maybe it could work again. I hated to see them leave Montreal, as they really had some great teams up there. When the strike cut the 1994 season short, the Expos were on the verge of making the playoffs and had a pretty decent shot of taking the whole thing.

That whole work stoppage was awful for the game, but perhaps the worst of it all was that Montreal was so fucking close.

The commissioner's office was meddling quite a bit in all of the Montreal shenanigans in the time leading up to the team finally leaving town, and I am entirely ignorant of the circumstances surrounding the politics of that situation.

I have a badass Expos hat and I'd love to have one more reason to finally visit Montreal. If Tampa doesn't get their shit together, send them north, I guess.

Viva le Expos!*

* I have zero knowledge of the French language, which I'm sure is apparent.
I do not want to choose between
the right and wrong sides of the world,
and I do not like a choice to be made.—Albert Camus
User avatar
samizdat
district attourney
district attourney
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:22 am
Location: Under a permacloud

Re: MLB 2015

Postby Jeremy B on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:38 am

Angus Jung wrote:
Jeremy B wrote:Either way, Oakland and Tampa Bay are one and two on the list for relocation, whether it's Montreal, Portland, or Vegas.

MLB-to-Portland seems to be a non-starter. The AAA team left town 3-4 years ago and was replaced by a hugely popular MLS (soccer) franchise. I don't hear anybody talking about bringing MLB up here any more.


As late as last year Portland was tossing out a ton of press in the hopes of drawing the A's. I have no clue where they would play in Portland, (press says Hillsboro), but as of now, it's more open than San Jose, the most obvious landing spot for the franchise.

samizdat wrote:Maybe it could work again. I hated to see them leave Montreal, as they really had some great teams up there. When the strike cut the 1994 season short, the Expos were on the verge of making the playoffs and had a pretty decent shot of taking the whole thing.


Even someone on the periphery of being a baseball fan should read "Up, Up, and Away" by Jonah Keri, which details the Expos struggle from birth. What happened with the '94 season was absolute bullshit, and no one paid more than Expos fans. The Expos had no chance after that, and I am still surprised that the guillotine didn't come sooner for them (i.e. relocation or contraction). No way Montreal has a team until there is a new stadium, and there is no reason for local government to support such a measure.
Jon Fine wrote:What had started out as free and welcoming ended up becoming as rigid and rule-bound as everything I'd hoped it would replace.
User avatar
Jeremy B
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:48 pm
Location: Ladies Dormitory, 90066

Re: MLB 2015

Postby samizdat on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:56 am

Jeremy B wrote:Even someone on the periphery of being a baseball fan should read "Up, Up, and Away" by Jonah Keri, which details the Expos struggle from birth. What happened with the '94 season was absolute bullshit, and no one paid more than Expos fans. The Expos had no chance after that, and I am still surprised that the guillotine didn't come sooner for them (i.e. relocation or contraction). No way Montreal has a team until there is a new stadium, and there is no reason for local government to support such a measure.


I heard that book was great. Meant to pick it up after it became all the rage, and kind of forgot about it. Will make sure not to make that mistake again, as I've been jonesing for a good baseball read as the offseason has really set in.

The game they played up there this past summer (or was it the summer before?) really seemed to create renewed interest in Montreal as a viable major league city, as did Keri's book. I have a hard time believing that the A's will actually relocate, but Tampa seems to be in a really precarious position at the moment. You don't think Montreal's government would push for a new stadium? How come (not saying I think they should; just curious about the city's position in regards to a push to lure a team)?

I'm really eager to see how this all plays out.
I do not want to choose between
the right and wrong sides of the world,
and I do not like a choice to be made.—Albert Camus
User avatar
samizdat
district attourney
district attourney
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:22 am
Location: Under a permacloud

Re: MLB 2015

Postby Angus Jung on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:53 pm

Jeremy B wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:
Jeremy B wrote:Either way, Oakland and Tampa Bay are one and two on the list for relocation, whether it's Montreal, Portland, or Vegas.

MLB-to-Portland seems to be a non-starter. The AAA team left town 3-4 years ago and was replaced by a hugely popular MLS (soccer) franchise. I don't hear anybody talking about bringing MLB up here any more.


As late as last year Portland was tossing out a ton of press in the hopes of drawing the A's. I have no clue where they would play in Portland, (press says Hillsboro), but as of now, it's more open than San Jose, the most obvious landing spot for the franchise.

The proposed stadium would be in the area of the old Memorial Coliseum and Rose Garden in Portland, not Hillsboro (who now have a new single-A team and a new minor league stadium).

Dude I live here. I'm telling you. Public is not clamoring for it. Corporate sponsorships are near non-existent. I'd love to be wrong.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8751
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: MLB 2015

Postby samizdat on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:15 pm

Do you get the sense that the baseball fans in Portland are Mariners fans and are more than happy with that current arrangement?
I do not want to choose between
the right and wrong sides of the world,
and I do not like a choice to be made.—Albert Camus
User avatar
samizdat
district attourney
district attourney
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:22 am
Location: Under a permacloud

Re: MLB 2015

Postby warmowski on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:49 pm

White Sox are on some other shit this year. Looking forward to Emilio Bonifacio in the dugout on the South Side playing the roles of LOOGY destroyer, base liberator and Melky's late inning legs. Hopes very high with adding Samardzija, Robertson, and even the most recent fading lummox DH/1B from the Nats named Adam.

On the other hand, I feel worse about Cespedes in Detroit than I did about Prince in Detroit.

Stupid Detroit.

-r
User avatar
warmowski
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2907
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: MLB 2015

Postby taylor swiftboat orgy on Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:12 am

Angus Jung wrote:
Jeremy B wrote:Either way, Oakland and Tampa Bay are one and two on the list for relocation, whether it's Montreal, Portland, or Vegas.

MLB-to-Portland seems to be a non-starter. The AAA team left town 3-4 years ago and was replaced by a hugely popular MLS (soccer) franchise. I don't hear anybody talking about bringing MLB up here any more.


That sucks. Portland has always been the city I thought most deserving of a team. Also a city in North Carolina given how NC schools seem to produce good ball players.
Last edited by taylor swiftboat orgy on Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
taylor swiftboat orgy
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor
 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:45 am
Location: philly

Re: MLB 2015

Postby samizdat on Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:16 am

warmowski wrote:White Sox are on some other shit this year. Looking forward to Emilio Bonifacio in the dugout on the South Side playing the roles of LOOGY destroyer, base liberator and Melky's late inning legs. Hopes very high with adding Samardzija, Robertson, and even the most recent fading lummox DH/1B from the Nats named Adam.

On the other hand, I feel worse about Cespedes in Detroit than I did about Prince in Detroit.

Stupid Detroit.

-r


Seems like Detroit's window is closing pretty quickly, especially if they don't nab Scherzer.

The Sox and Indians look to be resurging. The AL Central should be really interesting this year. Can't wait to watch them fight it out.
I do not want to choose between
the right and wrong sides of the world,
and I do not like a choice to be made.—Albert Camus
User avatar
samizdat
district attourney
district attourney
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:22 am
Location: Under a permacloud

Re: MLB 2015

Postby Tuolumne on Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:25 am

Angus Jung wrote:
Jeremy B wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:
Jeremy B wrote:Either way, Oakland and Tampa Bay are one and two on the list for relocation, whether it's Montreal, Portland, or Vegas.

MLB-to-Portland seems to be a non-starter. The AAA team left town 3-4 years ago and was replaced by a hugely popular MLS (soccer) franchise. I don't hear anybody talking about bringing MLB up here any more.


As late as last year Portland was tossing out a ton of press in the hopes of drawing the A's. I have no clue where they would play in Portland, (press says Hillsboro), but as of now, it's more open than San Jose, the most obvious landing spot for the franchise.

The proposed stadium would be in the area of the old Memorial Coliseum and Rose Garden in Portland, not Hillsboro (who now have a new single-A team and a new minor league stadium).

Dude I live here. I'm telling you. Public is not clamoring for it. Corporate sponsorships are near non-existent. I'd love to be wrong.


Gotta say I agree, as much as I would love a team here. The 'Bring Major League Baseball to Portland' bumper stickers have all been replaced with Portland Timbers bumper stickers. We missed the boat with the Expos going to DC...
User avatar
Tuolumne
hank aaron
hank aaron
 
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:21 pm
Location: Northeast Portland, Oregon

Re: MLB 2015

Postby Jeremy B on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:14 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
Dude I live here. I'm telling you. Public is not clamoring for it. Corporate sponsorships are near non-existent. I'd love to be wrong.


If Portland were to get a team, whether through relocation or expansion, that team would instantly become the smallest market in the sport, below Milwaukee. So, yes, it would be highly problematic for a team to be there. That is to say that I think we are in agreement, Portland will probably not get a team. Still Portland seems to be one of the names, along with Montreal and Vegas, that always gets tossed out when relocation comes up in the news, so there is at least a little to it.
Jon Fine wrote:What had started out as free and welcoming ended up becoming as rigid and rule-bound as everything I'd hoped it would replace.
User avatar
Jeremy B
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:48 pm
Location: Ladies Dormitory, 90066

Re: MLB 2015

Postby Jeremy B on Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:19 pm

Jon Fine wrote:What had started out as free and welcoming ended up becoming as rigid and rule-bound as everything I'd hoped it would replace.
User avatar
Jeremy B
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:48 pm
Location: Ladies Dormitory, 90066

Re: MLB 2015

Postby samizdat on Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:33 pm

4,500 bleacher seats at Wrigley Field will not be ready for use at the beginning of the season, as the organization is behind schedule with their renovation project.

http://bit.ly/1GdtxxF
I do not want to choose between
the right and wrong sides of the world,
and I do not like a choice to be made.—Albert Camus
User avatar
samizdat
district attourney
district attourney
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:22 am
Location: Under a permacloud

Re: MLB 2015

Postby Angus Jung on Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:41 pm

samizdat wrote:Do you get the sense that the baseball fans in Portland are Mariners fans and are more than happy with that current arrangement?

In general, Portlanders are pretty much "meh" regarding all things Seattle, but there is a pretty solid base of Mariners fans in Portland. The Mariners have actively courted/invested in the Portland market for sure (their games are all on TV and radio here, etc).

Since I have lived in Portland, last season was the closest thing to a successful year that the Mariners have had, and people were pretty into it here. I think I will see a lot more bandwagon-jumpers here if they actually get to the postseason/make a run. Which they could do.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8751
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], uglysound and 14 guests