home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

MLB 2015

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: MLB 2015

Postby Get dog costumes on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:48 pm

I'm as or more excited about Mark Buehrle going for 200 innings a 15th straight time as I was about the Jays winning the pennant. It may because the pennant came to seem inevitable, whereas if I'm being reasonable Buehrle's not going to stay in through the middle of the 9th tonight.
Marsupialized wrote:I sense you have not spent much time in the tar pits, my friend.
Get dog costumes
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby Angus Jung on Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:34 am

Get dog costumes wrote:I'm as or more excited about Mark Buehrle going for 200 innings a 15th straight time as I was about the Jays winning the pennant. It may because the pennant came to seem inevitable, whereas if I'm being reasonable Buehrle's not going to stay in through the middle of the 9th tonight.

"Winning the pennant" = winning the league. Representing your league in the World Series.

The Blue Jays have won a division, but have not won any pennant yet.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby crispy on Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:03 am

6-4 Pirates over Reds tonight. Nice walk-off DINGER by Marte in the 12th. Looks like we'll probably have the wildcard game here in Pittsburgh.
crispy
secretary of the interior

Postby Angus Jung on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:41 pm

Crazy shit today for the Rangers, Astros, and Angels. There are a bunch of possible outcomes and scenarios depending on who wins and who loses today.

The Astros are in a surreal position where they still have the possibility of winning the division, and of not making the post-season at all.

If the fucking Rangers could have held a g.d. 4-run lead in the 9th inning yesterday, the Angels would have been eliminated from this shit. Bastards.
Angus Jung

Postby sitwell on Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:49 pm

Go Reds! Cubs win and Pirates loss would bring the NL wild card game to Wrigley.
sitwell
denny dias
denny dias

Postby crispy on Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:35 pm

sitwell wrote:Go Reds! Cubs win and Pirates loss would bring the NL wild card game to Wrigley.

Sorry about your luck.
crispy

Postby Angus Jung on Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Eat shit Angels
Angus Jung

Postby Major on Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:11 pm

We spent the majority of the Astros game figuring out what needed to happen to make the post season. That's sorted.

Fuck the Yankees.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby sitwell on Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:06 pm

crispy wrote:
sitwell wrote:Go Reds! Cubs win and Pirates loss would bring the NL wild card game to Wrigley.

Sorry about your luck.

It should be a really fun game. The fact that a 98 and a 97 win team, second and third in all of baseball, are in a one game playoff is kind of crazy.
sitwell
denny dias
denny dias

Postby iembalm on Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:45 pm

Len Dykstra apparently used dirt found by private investigators to blackmail umpires for better calls at the plate:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/lenny-d ... lb-umpires
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby a leg plaster on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:26 pm

Any Rays fans here that can hype up Nathan Karns for me so I can miss Brad Miller less? Miller was my favorite homegrown Mariner (besides Seager and Felix), so even though this seems like a pretty fair swap, and being excited about receiving Boog Powell as well, I wanted Miller here for whatever potential future success we may achieve.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby whoisalhedges on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:17 am

There are Rays fans?

Karns is interesting. Strikes out a lot of guys; but has trouble with his control, and his fastball isn't good enough to leave up in the zone without getting clobbered. He's got a big, hard curve that's already one of the better benders in the majors, but at 28 years old, he probably won't get much better. He's had injury trouble (which is why his K rate didn't get him many major league innings before his 27th birthday), so he probably won't be an innings eater, either.

When healthy, he'll probably be a decent #3 starter for another few years. If he can keep his fastball down against RHB or take some good 'roids and add a couple MPH, maybe better.

He's a solid major league pitcher when healthy. But nothing to pop a boner over.
"Country music must go on!" -- Austin J. Hall, September 11, 2001
whoisalhedges
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Location: Where they put chili on spaghetti, BBQ sauce on kielbasa, and men on the moon.

Postby a leg plaster on Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:40 pm

whoisalhedges wrote:There are Rays fans?

When I heard Miller was traded I thought our new GM was one, actually.

Thanks for the write up WIAH. I am really hoping Karns can find a way as a 2-3 starter more than a 3-4 one, but that's obviously wishful thinking. All along I was kind of hoping we'd pursue a reunion with Doug Fister on a 1 or 2 yr deal (he didn't receive a QO and the M's have the 11th pick), but I'd be lying if I said having as much team control over Karns as we do wasn't exciting as well.

Also Boog Powell is actually an outfielder. Holy shit!
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby whoisalhedges on Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Boog Powell is not related to Boog Powell.

Strange world we live in.
whoisalhedges

Location: Where they put chili on spaghetti, BBQ sauce on kielbasa, and men on the moon.

Postby a leg plaster on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:55 pm

whoisalhedges wrote:Boog Powell is not related to Boog Powell.

Strange world we live in.

Boog Powell (No Relation) would be a good post count descriptor thing.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:42 pm

Perennially annoying/pesky Oakland Athletics-killer Erick Aybar (you could pencil that guy in for at least 2 hits and 2 stolen bases every time he played Oakland) traded from Angels to Atlanta. Next season is already looking better.
Angus Jung

Postby a leg plaster on Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:50 am

Angus Jung wrote:Perennially annoying/pesky Oakland Athletics-killer Erick Aybar (you could pencil that guy in for at least 2 hits and 2 stolen bases every time he played Oakland) traded from Angels to Atlanta. Next season is already looking better.

Just don't hit it near Anaheim's shiny new Andrelton Simmons, A's!
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby MWilke on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:10 am

It's interesting to see Simmons dealt a year after his extension. I'm wondering if a market inefficiency playing out is the exploitation of perceived over-valuing of infield defense. Yeah, he's the best defensive shortstop in the game. But if you wisely implement shifting strategies, defensive range isn't quite as important because you're already positioned properly. If you have a below average bat at shortstop that people gush over defensively and he's a balance sheet concern, go ahead and see what you can get for him. At least that's what the armchair GM in me would be thinking. That being said, these pitchers Anaheim gave Atlanta have some serious control issues and the return is not exactly impressive, but Atlanta gets a friendlier contract in Aybar.
MWilke
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby whoisalhedges on Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:18 pm

Simmons is weird... depending on how much you value 3B and CF defense (everyone seems to value SS defense pretty highly), he might be the most valuable defensive player in the game. He might be the most valuable defensive player since Andruw Jones or Ozzie Smith or Brooks Robinson.

Granted, he contributes less with his bat than any of them....

The AL West is a tough division for hitters (of course, so is the NL East), so it'll be interesting to see how his mediocre at best bat plays out. He's still young, so there might be room for improvement; Ozzie's walk rate and batting average went up after a few years in the league. Simmons is a tough guy to evaluate in today's game; he's a lot like a Mark Belanger type - which was common in the '70s, less so today.
whoisalhedges

Postby a leg plaster on Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:57 pm

In terms of a light hitting shortstop wizard, my step dad and I were big fans of Brendan Ryan with the Mariners in 2011-2012. He should have won a gold glove in 2012, but did take the fielding bible award that year. Out of curiosity, I was just looking up defensive WAR rankings and all that junk on baseball reference and it has Ryan worth 3.6 with his glove in 2012. Pretty cool. There's a good number of 3.6's in the list (Franklin Gutierez in 2009!), but it's in the top 60, so good for him. On top of that list though, at number one? Andrelton Simmons with 5.4 in 2013.

I don't really watch Braves games, and I don't like Angels, but it's always fun to see a shortstop who is literally stupid good take the field. We'll probably get to see him a couple times at Safeco next season, while we will hopefully not be losing to the Angels.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion