home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Mental Health and Stigma Killing Machine

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Mental Health and Stigma Killing Machine

Postby Pasta on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:44 pm

Frank Decent wrote: It's a tool. I'll use it. No shame.

EXACTLY. My lexapro softens the worst of my anxiety and depression. Doesn't cure it, but, is a tool that helps me do the work.

Good on you brother.
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby Pasta on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:29 am

It's pretty incredible the difference just 3 sessions of talk therapy is making. Definitely starting to move out of that situational depression I've been in the last few months.

Letting go of some really old shit, that's been weighing me down for far to long.

Godspeed friends.
Pasta

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:29 pm

I started using online therapy. The billing cycle caught me short. I'm not sure if betterhelp.com is a scam or not.

I feel like I need facetime with a therapist, though.

I definitely need to at least talk to a therapist, though
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby VaticanShotglass on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:34 am

Does anyone have experience with social workers? My life has been a mess for ages. I've had psych care except for this year. It seems like that system is akin to going into a little genie bottle and getting help while you're in that little artificial break room, but it can be really hard to connect it up to outside resources. I was supposed to have a social worker years back when I was hospitalized, but somebody messed up the paperwork and I got dropped.

So, what do social workers do? Is there any water in that well?

(I'm not talking about a social worker who works as a therapist. I'm talking about whatever else social workers do with people who are just complete disasters.)
VaticanShotglass
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby Janeway on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:38 am

^if you let any kinda professional into your home i hope you have musical instruments set up and see if they jam with you... just because any random person gets a job with a title like, just make sure you take advice or authority from someone you jive with. folks like to wear authority and point and tell other folks what to do all the time, if you're making it easier on someone make sure you trust them first before giving in.

don't know your situation but sounds like you're looking for outside help from a pro which means there isn't anyone inside the family that's leading the social work charge. before shopping for folks with pills or plans in hand, give your eating and sleep and sexy time habits a quick check and make sure you're balanced and that you have adequate care in your life, like talking to a relativive on the phone for an hour even about dumb stuff. there are ways to get your mind and your living right even just in preparation for professional help. but maybe some self care in advance and in addition to will help supplement overall mental um, fluidity. K
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Pasta on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:08 pm

Been a rough week. Mom was hospitalized with pneumonia for 3 days. She's 62, and we finally get along. Little hard to think about her mortality.

Had a small (5 minute)siezure monday morning, which completely wiped me out for 2 days.

Yesterday, on my way to therapy , about half a block from the office, shit my pants. My guts are so messed up from 6 years of antisiezure meds, synthetic hormones, and chemo. Had to papertowel bath it in the mens room at my shrinks office building. And then do an hour free balling in wet jeans, totally freaked out that I stank of shit. She said nothing.

Tomorrow is the 6th Anniversary of my craniotomy. I'm stil alive, which is joyous, but, definitely struggling.
Pasta

Postby VaticanShotglass on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:33 pm

Pasta wrote:Been a rough week. Mom was hospitalized with pneumonia for 3 days. She's 62, and we finally get along. Little hard to think about her mortality.

Had a small (5 minute)siezure monday morning, which completely wiped me out for 2 days.

Yesterday, on my way to therapy , about half a block from the office, shit my pants. My guts are so messed up from 6 years of antisiezure meds, synthetic hormones, and chemo. Had to papertowel bath it in the mens room at my shrinks office building. And then do an hour free balling in wet jeans, totally freaked out that I stank of shit. She said nothing.

Tomorrow is the 6th Anniversary of my craniotomy. I'm stil alive, which is joyous, but, definitely struggling.

This sucks. I know you are working hard to keep your life on track. I really appreciate that. I also appreciate the kindness you have shared on this board. I really hope you catch a break. I know that's not offering any help. Reading about you getting through stuff has been inspiring. That doesn't really help you at all. Anyway, I'm not doing a very good job at this so I'll stop. I can't really think straight these days. But thanks for helping kill some stigma. That really is something that has helped me and likely others.
VaticanShotglass

Postby VaticanShotglass on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:00 pm

Janeway wrote:^if you let any kinda professional into your home i hope you have musical instruments set up and see if they jam with you... just because any random person gets a job with a title like, just make sure you take advice or authority from someone you jive with. folks like to wear authority and point and tell other folks what to do all the time, if you're making it easier on someone make sure you trust them first before giving in.

don't know your situation but sounds like you're looking for outside help from a pro which means there isn't anyone inside the family that's leading the social work charge. before shopping for folks with pills or plans in hand, give your eating and sleep and sexy time habits a quick check and make sure you're balanced and that you have adequate care in your life, like talking to a relativive on the phone for an hour even about dumb stuff. there are ways to get your mind and your living right even just in preparation for professional help. but maybe some self care in advance and in addition to will help supplement overall mental um, fluidity. K

1. Thank you for your good intentions. I'm going to try and respond to some of your post. Part of it is that I need a distraction from the several different searing pains going on right now, but I'm also being sincere.

2. Something, something, home. I got run out of my home. I'm currently sitting in my truck grafting wifi from my parents' house some several states away. I do have an address, but my mail may or may not be misplaced by my wife for months at a time. There is a small room with a door on it at my parents'. I've been living in it for the past few weeks.

3. Music something... See #2

4. Authority... I'm trying to save my life more than I'm trying to start a band or something.

5. No one inside the family leading social work change... No there isn't my parents are feeding me and worry, but they do not have these skills nor have they ever really had much luck with me other than wishing I was better.

6. Eating... I'm mostly living off junk. My guts have felt like fire for several months. I think there is something really wrong.

7. Sleep... I can't seem to get any. This has been dysfunctional since I was 10.

8. Sexy times... I can only respond to this with crying so I won't.

9. Balance and adequate care... I don't have the energy to cry. If I had something like this it would be amazing. I was in a psyche ward several years ago. It was pretty nice.

10. Self care... This is what I've been failing at horribly. I wish I weren't, but I am. I don't know how to fix this, hence the question about social workers.
VaticanShotglass

Postby total_douche on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:47 pm

VaticanShotglass wrote:Does anyone have experience with social workers?

I've never had experience as a client, but I am enrolled in a BSW program (full disclosure: I am in the very early stages, as in a first-year student, so my knowledge is somewhat limited to basic ideas, and misrepresenting my level of knowledge would be a huge code of ethics violation, so I won't). In that vein, I have a fair amount of experience with them, because my professors are practicing social workers. I can give you an idea of what they do from my class notes.

Basically, the job of the social worker, if they're doing their job, is to help the client set and meet goals (i.e. implement a planned change process). The big thing is connecting clients to services. They use all kinds of neat terms like "person-in-environment" (acknowledging that people affect their environment and environments affect people) and spend a lot of time thinking in shades of grey, thinking about systems, and drawing circles. They work not only with clients, but also as agents of systematic change.

Their #1 priority - literally section 1.01 in the Code of Ethics - is the primacy of client interest. They are not dudes "with pills and plans." Their job isn't to judge you and throw their idea of what you should do at you. Their job is to help you do what's best for you. Part of this is respecting the client's right to self-determination (except in cases where there are compelling professional reasons to violate this - you know, like a client who is, beyond a shadow of a reasonable doubt, going to commit suicide). Another part of this is respecting the client's right to confidentiality (See Jaffee v Redmond - same privilege rights as doctors and lawyers) except in cases where there is a "duty to warn" (see Tarrasof v U of CA - basically, if you tell them you're going to murder someone, or beat your kid, or, in some states where the law says so, give someone AIDS, or other things of that nature, they have a duty to break confidentiality). In other words, they're there to tell you what services are available to you, to help you set goals for yourself, and help you implement plans for action. They will (should) respect your right to make your own decisions, your right to confidentiality, and, unless they're really into violating the COE, will go over all of this with you as part of getting informed consent (big thing). At the same time, they will be doing what they can to make the system less fucked up. It's a professional obligation.

But... here's where Janeway is both right and wrong (you can be both, shades of grey, neat, huh?): who can be called a "social worker" depends, to a degree, on who they work for. At least in some states, maybe all, I don't know, county social workers don't have to be licensed or hold a degree. That covers the "random person with a title" part. On the other hand, being a state-licensed/certified (whether they're licensed or certified depends on the state) social worker requires, at a bare minimum, a BSW from a program accredited by the CSWE. Literally every CSWE-accredited BSW program in the United States has the same content and requirements. They take this stuff very seriously, because social workers can have a lot of authority and have, in the past, taken part in oppressing people. BSWs are always supervised, usually by an MSW. And even an MSW isn't sufficient to practice without supervision, they have to have two years of field experience and apply for independent licensure and pass another test to get said licensure. They don't hand out social work qualifications like they do in business school.

Mind, no profession's standards can catch every bad egg. But the standards in social work are fairly high. Janeway is also totally right about finding a worker whose personality fits your needs.

Suggest reading a bit at NASW's website.
total_douche
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby total_douche on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:07 am

Oh, yeah, looking at strengths is a big thing. You've recognized that you don't like your situation, and that you want to make changes, but are unsure about whether or not you want to reach out to a social worker. That's great! You have something to start with. You have at least some idea of what you want to do. I hope you can find someone who can help you. They're out there.
total_douche
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby VaticanShotglass on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:07 pm

Hey, thanks. That was really good to read. Thank you. Do you have any tips on getting in touch with social work services? Costs, requirements, etc?
VaticanShotglass

Postby total_douche on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:07 am

I am not certain on the best way to get into contact with one. I have to consult with my academic advisor on Monday, though, so I can ask about it while I'm there.

I think costs will vary depending on the worker. Lots are employed by government agencies and nonprofits, some work in private practice. The values of the profession do encourage sliding scales and pro bono work, though. Actually, I think a certain amount of pro bono work is generally expected as a professional obligation (social justice is a huge value for social workers).

My academic advisor - one of the three social work professors on staff, all of whom are practicing social workers - says the best way to think of social workers is as "cockroaches for good." I.e. the whole Assassin's Creed thing of working in the dark to serve the light. Probably where Ubisoft ripped it off from. :lol:
Last edited by total_douche on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
total_douche
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Boombats on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:09 am

There should be no costs or requirements to get at least temporary assistance from a social service agency. This ranges from just talking to a crisis counselor on the phone to getting shelter, food, and case management. If you need help applying for things like medical insurance and other longer term care plans, there has to be somebody at the county offices that can help you. Depending on your location, there may be one of many nonprofit agencies which run crisis hotlines, food pantries, and counseling centers. Churches are a bummer, but they will also have a list of community resources and any decent one will have a staff member with some social work background, and you will probably make someone's day if you ask them for help. I'm talking community churches, not mega churches or "Rock Hard Soldiers Of Faith" revival shitholes.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:05 am

Thanks folks. I'm currently between states right now with ambiguous residence prospects. I'm going to start digging around for contacts.
VaticanShotglass

Postby Pasta on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Just finished a great session with my shrink. (No pants shitting this week.) Walk out, hit shuffle, Fugazis "23 Beats Off" first song. There's hope right now. Fucking a. Find the small things.
Pasta

Postby total_douche on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:04 pm

VaticanShotglass wrote:Thanks folks. I'm currently between states right now with ambiguous residence prospects. I'm going to start digging around for contacts.

Sorry it took so long (I've been sick as a dog), but I did ask my professor today, and he says that a good way to get in touch with a social worker is to contact your local Department of Human Services.

Good luck!
total_douche
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Tommy on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:25 pm

VaticanShotglass wrote:So, what do social workers do? Is there any water in that well?

(I'm not talking about a social worker who works as a therapist. I'm talking about whatever else social workers do with people who are just complete disasters.)

I work at a Community Behavioral Health agency primarily staffed by social workers. I'm not clinical staff but in general here are some of the types of services social workers do that aren't therapy:

Case Management: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_management_(mental_health)
ACT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assertive_community_treatment
PSR: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychiatric_rehabilitation

The Department of Human Services (DHS sometimes HFS) can put you in touch with social workers, but you're probably better off looking up a Community Mental Health Center wherever you are. It'll be faster and they do referrals all day based on individuals needs (type of needs, insurance needs, financial needs, etc.)
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Facundo on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:58 pm

I've been a week 0,05 milimeter of shaving razor near to committing suicide.

"Tutti frutti" problems, troubles of all kind.

Getting old, pituitary gland tumor due to years of excessive and unnecessary psychiatric medication and its consequent hormonal disorder, double weight of the normal, wrong place, no money, small debts, parent's home, no job, no occupation, winter, misfit in a rural town, no friends, no girlfriend, no sex since years, no drugs, no alcohol, no car, no motorcycle, not enjoying, bipolar disorder, no place to go, ten years that way, failed suicidal from almost two serious attempts, stayed in two psychiatric hospitals, more than five times... in total almost a year of my life. I go to the psychiatrist a time each six monts and I have no access to a psychologist or other helper factor because i can't afford it.

So I deployed this kind of war economy on my self to stay alive until worst than dead:

First things is which every being has to be proud. I'm proud of being me, well, it's not comfortable but this thing which writes and the meta-thing which power myself it's true, and keeping this is the only thing wich brings me back from my suicidal fantasies. Fantasies come everyday, but most of them are not possible. First depression can make you fall down to the sewers of shame, and erase any kind of pride you previously had, your job then is to put the sewer caps to prevent and try for all methods not to fall as down as the first time.

The other thing is feeding the fire or having the mission of living. I sadly, in difficult times found that in what the rage i feel with something or someone doing it bad. A "beautiful person" would call this feeling "the world says it needs me". I hope to be again that beautiful person sensitive to the part positive.

This minimum economy is not a rich man's whim. It's to learn how to endure the cold to shave in the heating machine you don't have money to feed now. Drugs and alcohol won't work, maybe only the Wim Hof method, but the art for artists.
La Gaseosa de Subida / The Soda of Your Life
Facundo
david hockney
david hockney

Postby Janeway on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:23 pm

^please stick around, the sun has to come out before it can set, theres so much to be thankful for you just need hugs and laughter and care.

avoid hormonal foods red meat, dairy, soy, alcohol and grains, opt for paleo and take vitamins. avoid radiation until its necessary and try never to let them cut open a tumor unless theres also no other option, i know how that sounds but its my advice, we all know how my adivce soudns by now.

heres more:

thats jsut the daily stuff, you need to be creative and make something and a good belly laugh, its not fair for you to get anxiety when life spills milk cause folks are meant to be laughing so hard milk comes right out of your nose haha tears of laughter and joy, yo

im sorry we dont have care hotels for poeples mental health just to rest and feel good, you need a beach vacation or just to feel like youre at one, never forget there are places in the world where its so hott the air kisses you with balmy dew and is thick and the sun feels warm and theres gentle breezes, thats why a lot of seniors move to fort lauderale, its like moving to spring break for life haha

find your way to a beach and get into a spicoli mindset, just waves and babes and pizza try to imagine and wear a damn hawaiian shirt if you please cause youre sick so you get a freebee to just chill in life

im getting my head on stragiht too but im wearing business suits just because, i kinda want it to be a new trend for young girls to start dressing like hitchcock blonds in nice suits

dont forget about obama and that things change and that theres hope. trump is a backlash reaction to racism dying out, the world is still a wonderful place we're just got one cheeto ruinign it for everybody.
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway

Postby Facundo on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:35 pm

Hey Jane!

phpBB [media]

Don't worry I'm OK. Apologies for not answering this week.

The activities you recommend to me to do are not possible due to lack of money. There are good recommendations but it's more practical for me to settle for what i can do instead of making plans beyond my means that would frustrate me more.

As a therapy of expression, which is the attribute which i am losing the most, this week i bought some black cardboards and chalk marker and started to push out my bad vibes and frustrations, and i find out which first strokes are difficult to paint, but then the complete drawing is plastered and in some way acquires the self-consciousness of knowing when it have to ask me to stop.

This is the first i drawed.

Thank you.
La Gaseosa de Subida / The Soda of Your Life
Facundo
david hockney
david hockney

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion