home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Fearsome and mammoth cults thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Fearsome and mammoth cults thread

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:43 pm

This thread's got me remembering how much I disliked all those Krishnacore bands from the mid-to-late '80s and 1990s. Boy, did they suck. Was always kinda funny to me that a lot of these East Coast hardcore types were initially mookish jocks who ended up going thru straight-edge, vegan, and/or Hare Krsna phases. So much for punk as a bastion of free thinking...

(On the other hand, if anybody's up for forming a Slavic mysticism-themed noise-rock band called Baba Yaga, please PM me.)
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby jimmy spako on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:46 pm

man, this thread.

i have been thinking about cults a lot for the last couple of weeks.

my mom was an est/forum person, for years in the 80's. among other things, she has floated through and evangelized for all kinds of new age bullshit throughout her life. which is too bad, because she is an otherwise sweet lady if you don't have to be her son. her short attention span kept her from committing to one cult forever, but the erhard people definitely fucked up her fragile mind in a big way & are partly responsible for the fact that she lives in section eight housing now & won't be able to pay for her own funeral or whatever.

obviously a pretty emotional issue for me.

she badgered me for years to do the forum as a teenager & i finally did it for her when i was sixteen or so. i don't have time to talk about it now, have to get out of here for a concert, but i would like to return to it.

fuck all these motherfuckers, i am fascinated by them, but i hate them deeply.

EDIT: just to be clear - fuck the perpetrators, not their victims, like my mom.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby zom-zom on Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:08 pm

I don't know anyone that went through any of these things that came out "better" or whatever.

One guy I know was convinced he would be able to make another friend's dog talk though, after est.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:13 pm

My aunt (my mother's little sister) actually abandoned her family (husband and 2-year-old-son) to join a TM ashram hundreds of miles away.

A mother with a little son. See ya. My uncle raised him solo.

This is around 1974 I think.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby enframed on Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:33 pm

Totally forgot that my ex-wife's mother was big into Landmark Forum.. She used to try to entice us into going. All I could see she got out of it was eating with plastic utensils rather than metal.

My current wife's mother went to est in the 70s and once tricked my wife (then a small child) into going with the promise of ice cream or donuts.

One of our acquaintances sends her husband to Forum stuff now and then for "maintenance" to keep his narcissism in check. We're pretty sure they get violent with each other.

A friend of mine dated a woman whose parents were heavily invested in J. Krishnamurti's Oak Grove School in Ojai. Her family was super fucked up, and so was she.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Boombats on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:30 pm

http://www.culteducation.com/group/1261 ... nship.html

I had a bass teacher who was in this and brought me to his men's meetings. It was great at first, since I didn't have a father and I always felt like an outsider in the society of Man. The campfire meetings, the camaraderie, the calling of each other's bullshit, etc. were just fine. However when I finally went to the actual weekend seminar/brainwashing experience, I saw the true nature of the organization. What a load of sad dick short weenis crap that was! Bunch of woman-bashing dickfluff. The irony is that probably the least macho thing a guy can do is to blame women for his failures, which is the nub of their philosophy. I can understand how it would appeal to "beta" men but come on dudes, how about taking personal responsibility? That's the most manly thing I can think of, but instead this group uses women as the scapegoat, saying that they should be "100% responsible for the relationship" because men just want approval and women just want security (i.e. money and a caveman to protect them).

Also, "A. Justin Sterling" (not his real name of course)? A total schlub, a grubby nasty man who probably has to browbeat women to get sex. I can't stand white guys who wear Native American jewelry, blech. After several hours of waiting around, when he finally showed himself, I almost laughed out loud, like "THIS is the alpha male that we must aspire to be? No thanks!" I left that night before the naked men stuff happened, and believe me, naked men stuff HAPPENS.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby goatlord on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:49 pm

Aum Shinrikyo. One of those cults that were really scary because of how high up they escalated in japanese society. There are ex-KGB dudes in there, and they are still at large. Guilty of the nasty Tokyo subway sarin attacks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aum_Shinrikyo
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Carl on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:11 pm

Kate Rev wrote:
Carl wrote:
Kate Rev wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Set
Temple of Set was/is the heavier duty version of Satanism. Aquino an interesting/possibly horrifying character linked to military torture and accused of a lot of unsavory things, but was it just satanic panic? Hail Satan.

Give me more give me more

Aquino's dad and my grandfather were friends during the Depression. This led to a very odd birthday party half a century or so later featuring two elderly men, members of the Temple, a standup comic, and me.

I would absolutely love to hear the full story version of this.

I would absolutely love to tell the full story version of this not on an easily searchable web forum.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Mark Hansen on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:49 pm

I had a friend, who I haven't seen in many years at this point, who was a member of the Process Church back in their heyday. she could still recite their credo about the reconcilation of good and evil, word for word.
"for when you bring two objects of such astounding masses of suck as these two together, they circle each other at incredible velocity until finally merging into an infinitely dense singularity of suck"
Mark Hansen

Postby bishopdante on Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:12 am

Guy got me down to deal with a bunch of stuff yesterday in a studio. Turned up & the producer has a streaming cold. I'm like "na man, don't be giving me none of dat".

The reply was "you seem like a happy person, it's all about magnetic fields and happiness vibrations... you should be fine".

Try telling Ebola that.

Go on, touch the mac. It's been drooled on by an ill man.

Today I have a cold.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante

Postby MatthewK on Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:37 am

Thread delivers.
MatthewK
doctor feelgood
doctor feelgood

Postby Redline on Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:08 pm

bishopdante wrote:
Today I have a cold.

You need a Faith Healer
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Goddamn Miracle on Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:00 pm

I stayed with an older cousin who was attracted to a born-again college group. It was the weirdest and most drunken time of my life.
- Group involvement and participation were mandatory as a guest in his house.
- Repetition to emphasis the most minute detail.
- Extreme opinions and destructive actions.
KateRev wrote:Also I'm so glad we as a community have finally discovered the beer bong..progress is ours once more!
Goddamn Miracle
makeup artist
makeup artist

Postby skoz on Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:05 pm

skoz
haskell wexler
haskell wexler

Postby andyanxiety on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:30 pm

Let me die to the sounds of delicious music.
andyanxiety
padre
padre

Postby Boombats on Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:29 am

skoz wrote:I grew up in this organization:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_U ... Triumphant

They should have gone with "Church Universal 'N' Triumphant"
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby skoz on Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:35 pm

Boombats wrote:
skoz wrote:I grew up in this organization:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_U ... Triumphant

They should have gone with "Church Universal 'N' Triumphant"

Ha ha

Some of you may have heard of this group due to the classic anti rock and roll lectures which were my first exposure to Slayer, Dead Kennedys and a number of other groups

phpBB [media]
skoz
haskell wexler
haskell wexler

Postby jimmy two hands on Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:53 pm

skoz wrote:Some of you may have heard of this group due to the classic anti rock and roll lectures which were my first exposure to Slayer, Dead Kennedys and a number of other groups

phpBB [media]

That shit is hilarious! I'm pretty sure I heard this before. Did Negativland sample it?
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby skoz on Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:40 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:
skoz wrote:Some of you may have heard of this group due to the classic anti rock and roll lectures which were my first exposure to Slayer, Dead Kennedys and a number of other groups

phpBB [media]

That shit is hilarious! I'm pretty sure I heard this before. Did Negativland sample it?

Yeah Negativland did sample an one point and there were a couple bootlegs of tapes meant for church followers released for record collector types. As funny as some of it seems now, that organization took advantage of quite a few people and had a pretty negative affect on me and my family.
skoz
haskell wexler
haskell wexler

Postby ERawk on Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:56 pm

UNARIUS!

They used to show their films on Public Access in the 90s and my friends and I would watch for Ruth Norman's wardrobe. She knew how to lead a cult in style.

Here's some photos some dude took of their El Cajon headquarters:

http://scoopzone.blogspot.com/2007/01/o ... world.html

I think they also were on a Craig Kilborn episode of the Daily Show.
You guys don't mind that I crash your little sausage party, right?

SecondEdition wrote:And also, just for the record - you have the best sig ever.

I was in a band with a cunt.
ERawk
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion