Re: Fearsome and mammoth cults thread

Postby oswaldwen on Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:48 pm

skoz wrote:
Boombats wrote:
skoz wrote:I grew up in this organization:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_U ... Triumphant

They should have gone with "Church Universal 'N' Triumphant"

Ha ha

Some of you may have heard of this group due to the classic anti rock and roll lectures which were my first exposure to Slayer, Dead Kennedys and a number of other groups

phpBB [media]

Whoevers preaching in this recording would make an excellent speed rapper. Also he mentioned MJ twice and I chuckled when he said David Booie
ERawk wrote:UNARIUS!

They used to show their films on Public Access in the 90s and my friends and I would watch for Ruth Norman's wardrobe. She knew how to lead a cult in style.

Here's some photos some dude took of their El Cajon headquarters:

http://scoopzone.blogspot.com/2007/01/o ... world.html

I think they also were on a Craig Kilborn episode of the Daily Show.

I remember Jello Biafra did an interview with these guys
phpBB [media]

The Aum Shinrikyo cult in Japan always fascinated me. Motherfuckers had the creepiest promotional shit
phpBB [media]

They would just seem like your usual dorky cult but these people commited legit terrorist attacks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_subway_sarin_attack

The police raided there compound and found Ebola, Anthrax, Explosives, Labrotories with drugs, a crude truth serum, and cells with prisoners.

Creepy stuff.

One thing I never get about cult leaders is there need to be commit crimes and break the law. Fucking Manson could have just sat back smoked weed and got laid but he had to go murder people.
oswaldwen
ward boss
ward boss

Postby skoz on Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:01 pm

oswaldwen wrote:
skoz wrote:
Boombats wrote:
skoz wrote:I grew up in this organization:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_U ... Triumphant

They should have gone with "Church Universal 'N' Triumphant"

Ha ha

Some of you may have heard of this group due to the classic anti rock and roll lectures which were my first exposure to Slayer, Dead Kennedys and a number of other groups

phpBB [media]

Whoevers preaching in this recording would make an excellent speed rapper. Also he mentioned MJ twice and I chuckled when he said David Booie

That's called decreeing pretty much everyone involved in the church can do that. I still can do a few of the regular ones.
skoz
haskell wexler
haskell wexler

Postby ERawk on Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:57 pm

oswaldwen wrote:I remember Jello Biafra did an interview with these guys
phpBB [media]

I found the Dangerous Minds post about the Jello interview:

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/jell ... age_found1

Bitch knew how haver her cake and eat it too
You guys don't mind that I crash your little sausage party, right?

SecondEdition wrote:And also, just for the record - you have the best sig ever.

I was in a band with a cunt.
ERawk
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby numberthirty on Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:05 pm

Damn. Page three delivers.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:07 pm

oswaldwen wrote:One thing I never get about cult leaders is there need to be commit crimes and break the law. Fucking Manson could have just sat back smoked weed and got laid but he had to go murder people.

There is a whole "why" to that one.
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:13 pm

While the film as a whole is terrible and it is only a "cinematic" cult, Epy Kusnandar is pretty compelling in V/H/S/2.
numberthirty

Postby oswaldwen on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:15 am

numberthirty wrote:
oswaldwen wrote:One thing I never get about cult leaders is there need to be commit crimes and break the law. Fucking Manson could have just sat back smoked weed and got laid but he had to go murder people.

There is a whole "why" to that one.

Well yeah theres a why for nearly every one. I just like to use Manson for shorthand as he had it pretty fucking solid for a cult leader. Drugs, women, money, budding career in making shitty folk music, etc.

Koresh would probably been a better example. I mean Koresh had everything Manson had minus the drugs but he decided he had to go fuck children. Like why would you fucking do this if you have complete control of a community. Your literally a dictator of your community as long as you don't piss the government off but you throw it all away.

Honestly if you want to go deep into the "why" Manson and Koresh had an incredibly similar life story. Born out of wedlock, abandoned father, did poor in school, etc. I always thought that was interesting.
oswaldwen
ward boss
ward boss

Postby goatlord on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:16 am

oswaldwen wrote:Koresh would probably been a better example. I mean Koresh had everything Manson had minus the drugs but he decided he had to go fuck children. Like why would you fucking do this if you have complete control of a community. Your literally a dictator of your community as long as you don't piss the government off but you throw it all away.

Well, pedophiles are not commonly know for being the most sensible people regarding their sexual life...

The Order of the Solar Temple is another "good" cult. Creepy, deluded, obsessed with secretiveness, filled with rich people and met a very strange end.

phpBB [media]
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby biscuitdough on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:28 am

It's not surprising at all that cult leaders abuse their followers terribly. The drive to have power over others is tied to a fundamental belief that others exist only for exploitation, and this is the same belief that drives animal cruelty, child molestation, serial rape and murder, etc.

It's not about having your needs met, living in luxury, being adored or having easy access to sex, whatever. These people aren't goal-oriented. The more their egos are fed, the more they expand and want more, so they can't ever reach a milestone where they'll say, "I'm satisfied".

They're insatiable, pragmatic, elitist and exploitative. Capitalist values.
biscuitdough
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Angus Jung on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:44 am

skoz wrote:
jimmy two hands wrote:
skoz wrote:Some of you may have heard of this group due to the classic anti rock and roll lectures which were my first exposure to Slayer, Dead Kennedys and a number of other groups

phpBB [media]

That shit is hilarious! I'm pretty sure I heard this before. Did Negativland sample it?

Yeah Negativland did sample an one point and there were a couple bootlegs of tapes meant for church followers released for record collector types. As funny as some of it seems now, that organization took advantage of quite a few people and had a pretty negative affect on me and my family.

Seymour Glass and the other folks in that 80s/90s SF Bay Area noise/weirdo crew that were behind the "Bananafish" 'zine (including Gregg Turkington) - they were really into Elizabeth Clare Prophet.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Goddamn Miracle on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:27 am

ERawk wrote:
oswaldwen wrote:I remember Jello Biafra did an interview with these guys
phpBB [media]

I found the Dangerous Minds post about the Jello interview:

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/jell ... age_found1

Bitch knew how haver her cake and eat it too

I have to write this somewhere: Sexy Octogenarian Cult Leader.

M'kay
just as I thought.

Also I found this in the search engine:

http://www.electricalaudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53939&hilit=that+women
Last edited by Goddamn Miracle on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KateRev wrote:Also I'm so glad we as a community have finally discovered the beer bong..progress is ours once more!
Goddamn Miracle
makeup artist
makeup artist

Postby PEPPER! on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:51 am

my only real run in with this kind of shit was when I subbed in an English-language school in Lisbon, Portugal for a few months in the early 90s. a bunch of the kids there, maybe 1 in 4 at the school, lived in the same huge apartment complex that was run by an "international business group" consisting of mostly professional Jewish guys from the UK and North America and their nice looking and way younger Scandinavian wives. from what I understood they lived communally and the kids were often expected to supervise each other in separate apartments from their parents. wife-swapping & orgies on the adult side of the compound and lots of pack animal/Lord of the Flies shit going on with the kids. for the most part the kids were rude and unruly as fuck and showed a lot of overtly sexualized behavior, even the prepubescent ones. you couldn't report stuff to the parents as they were always out of the country on business. apparently they would call you an anti-Semite and get you fired if you did criticize their kid. as this group contributed a quarter of the school's tuition everybody pretty much had to tow the line. I was advised to just do my best to shield the other kids from the worst of that group. I think they got run out of the country a few years later and landed in Central America.
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby oswaldwen on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:07 pm

goatlord wrote:
oswaldwen wrote:Koresh would probably been a better example. I mean Koresh had everything Manson had minus the drugs but he decided he had to go fuck children. Like why would you fucking do this if you have complete control of a community. Your literally a dictator of your community as long as you don't piss the government off but you throw it all away.

Well, pedophiles are not commonly know for being the most sensible people regarding their sexual life...

Well yeah

Koresh did have a history of pedophilia before hand. He also probably thought he could get away with it too.

Cracked had an article recently that was about being involved in a cult that ended in murder.
http://www.cracked.com/article_21434_7-insane-lessons-from-inside-apocalyptic-cult.html
oswaldwen
ward boss
ward boss

Postby oswaldwen on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:19 pm

biscuitdough wrote:It's not surprising at all that cult leaders abuse their followers terribly. The drive to have power over others is tied to a fundamental belief that others exist only for exploitation, and this is the same belief that drives animal cruelty, child molestation, serial rape and murder, etc.

It's not about having your needs met, living in luxury, being adored or having easy access to sex, whatever. These people aren't goal-oriented. The more their egos are fed, the more they expand and want more, so they can't ever reach a milestone where they'll say, "I'm satisfied".

They're insatiable, pragmatic, elitist and exploitative. Capitalist values.

Your probably correct on this. Ive always been fascinated by the minds of cult leaders. Alot of followers of cult leaders are just normal people being abused and exploited. But there something different about the mind of a cult leader. Like Manson did some shit before the murders that was incredibly ballsy.
oswaldwen
ward boss
ward boss

Postby Clyde on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:45 am

Has anybody seen the Synanon film?

phpBB [media]
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby biscuitdough on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:57 am

oswaldwen wrote:Your probably correct on this. Ive always been fascinated by the minds of cult leaders. Alot of followers of cult leaders are just normal people being abused and exploited. But there something different about the mind of a cult leader. Like Manson did some shit before the murders that was incredibly ballsy.

Like pimping out teenage girls?
biscuitdough
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby oswaldwen on Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:44 pm

biscuitdough wrote:
oswaldwen wrote:Your probably correct on this. Ive always been fascinated by the minds of cult leaders. Alot of followers of cult leaders are just normal people being abused and exploited. But there something different about the mind of a cult leader. Like Manson did some shit before the murders that was incredibly ballsy.

Like pimping out teenage girls?

Not really thats just usual scumbag behavior. I was more referring to an incident were a father of one of Mansons followers put a shotgun to him told him he was about to die only for Manson to invite him to shoot. Manson then proceeded to talk to the guy about love and persuaded him to take LSD and accept the situation.
Last edited by oswaldwen on Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oswaldwen
ward boss
ward boss

Postby Clyde on Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:50 pm

enframed wrote:
Clyde wrote:For example, while most Christian denominations are not cults

Sure they are, they are the accepted cults, currently. All religions are cults, an all began as what we consider "cults" these days.

I find a lot of atheists or the anti-religious hold this sentiment. There is a much larger conversation to be had but let me explain briefly why I don't agree.

Firstly, I don't think anybody knows or can know how all religions began. Perhaps we can looks at relatively young religions not generally regarded as cults like Mormonism or Rastafari and find cultic roots. It wouldn't surprise me a bit, honestly, although I don't know enough about either to have an opinion on the matter. But even if they (or even religions) started as cults, it doesn't follow that they all remain cults. What defines a cult is not a belief in supernatural beliefs and not all cults are religious.

A few key differences between a cult and a non-cultic religion.

-Cults are basically long term scams. They use deceptive recruiting to get people involved. If you're interested in converting to Judaism, for example, you could go to a rabbi or a practitioner and ask her what the tenets of the religion are, the practices, the costs, the expectations etc. Cults will not do this. They are vague about the beliefs or even outright lie. They may try to literally seduce somebody into joining (Children of God's "flirty fishing, for example). Once you do get involved you discover there are different levels, which you are pressured to attain by spending a lot of money.

-There are no altruistic cults. I'm not saying all religions are altruistic. There are obviously plenty of hucksters and self-serving despicable people. But there can be no cult version of Martin Luther's reformation or Martin Luther King's civil-rights advocacy. Anything a cult does is only to further the cult.
An imperfect analogy might be compare non-cultic religions to slot machines which may be a rip-off and may be destructive are more-or-less above the board whereas cults are a game of thee card monte, something you can never win, no matter how much you try.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde

Postby jimmy two hands on Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:35 pm

Three pages and no mention of Heaven's Gate?

banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby Redline on Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:13 pm

oswaldwen wrote:
Manson did some shit before the murders that was incredibly ballsy

...And not-so-ballsy...
phpBB [media]
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext