home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

One-Sentence Literature Confessions

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: One-Sentence Literature Confessions

Postby Facundo on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:59 pm

To born, From Wring to Wrong, From Wand to Womb.
Facundo
assclown
assclown

Postby SkronkFronkerdale on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:19 am

I don't care for Hemingway.

I recommend Mrs. Dalloway for anyone who thinks life is too short to read Ulysses yet maintains an interest in the touchstones of modernist fiction. While it has a great deal of similarities with Joyce's masterpiece(and was very likely influenced by it, despite her calling it a bore), it is more concise, accessible(relatively!), and avoids the obsessive systematizing that can make Joyce so exhausting to read. Woolf's masterpiece remains The Waves, however. Undoubtedly two of my very favorite writers!
SkronkFronkerdale
pigmeat markham
pigmeat markham

Postby kokorodoko on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:59 am

goatlord wrote:I think that we have to re-think James Joyce in the literary cannon, and even though he was important for funding a lot of things well... how shall I say it... I haven't enjoyed any of his books?

I felt an instinctual aversion to Joyce when reading the first pages of Finnnegan's Wake. How every other word is made up and there are all these "hidden meanings". Which as an occultist I should dig, but it just felt overwrought and made me think of reference humour, which I hate. I won't knock him until I have read seriously, but yeah.
Janeway wrote:it’s like, why do people say paper covers rock when we all know paper is a lil bish that gets paper weighted by smooth river rocks, you just need to rock out wheneve paperwork has got you down.
kokorodoko
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby losthighway on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:37 pm

SkronkFronkerdale wrote:I don't care for Hemingway.

I recommend Mrs. Dalloway for anyone who thinks life is too short to read Ulysses yet maintains an interest in the touchstones of modernist fiction. While it has a great deal of similarities with Joyce's masterpiece(and was very likely influenced by it, despite her calling it a bore), it is more concise, accessible(relatively!), and avoids the obsessive systematizing that can make Joyce so exhausting to read. Woolf's masterpiece remains The Waves, however. Undoubtedly two of my very favorite writers!

Yeah, I'll confess to liking Virginia Woolf way more than Joyce too. That's made me something of a pariah in some booky talks. I really liked To the LIghthouse as another modernist puzzle of fiction.
Colonel Panic wrote:Anybody who gazes directly into a laser is an idiot.

steve wrote:....only someone with a commitment to denial for its own sake could say they are all wrong about everything, but me in my living room, I figured it out.
losthighway
huey newton
huey newton

Postby losthighway on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:38 pm

I don't like Lovecraft.
Colonel Panic wrote:Anybody who gazes directly into a laser is an idiot.

steve wrote:....only someone with a commitment to denial for its own sake could say they are all wrong about everything, but me in my living room, I figured it out.
losthighway
huey newton
huey newton

Postby zircona1 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:26 am

I've attempted to read The Satanic Verses multiple times and quit around page 75, last time I was confused by who was who and what was going on.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
joe niekro
joe niekro

Postby goatlord on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:46 am

Except for Dennis Cooper and some Samuel Delany, I can't read any transgressive fiction as of late. It just seems so silly and adolescent now! I tried reading the first book of Apocalypse Culture the other day and I just couldn't be bothered being dragged into that world again. I think that I like the idea of those authors existing more than the act of reading them.

I think that as I get older, I find the lack of empathy on a writter more and more of a handicap. And the point of view of the socipath more and more boring. There are some kind of socipaths that I still find entertaining (like Thomas Bernhard or some Nabokov assholes, for example), but I prefer reading people saying how awful the assholes are, not how entertaining they are.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Reading sucks
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Dave N. on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:06 pm

I am currently reading Neil Peart's Ghost Rider and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Previous

Return to General Discussion