home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

bands in your town that are killing it now

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

bands in your town that are killing it now

Postby kaleb on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:54 am

* "killing it" is an archaic slang term meaning "performing extremely well"

potential kerbles here and here

Austin, TX: You all know that New China and The Gary are brilliant. I just came home from seeing Carl Sagan's Skate Shoes and Super Thief play at Beerland, both bands destroyed but CSSS held the upper hand tonight, probably just because this was my first time seeing them with a bassist.

Some other great shit happening now:
Borzoi has a new video out that slays. You can also see a short phone recording of them covering Kerosene live.

I dug the shit out of Zettajoule's Farfisa-driven indie pop when I shared a KU gig with them last weekend.

Bat City Surfers do this goofy horror-surf thing but it works so well, they're playing super tight live.
kaleb
jiminy cricket
jiminy cricket

Re: bands in your town that are killing it now

Postby garthplinko on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:33 am

There are more than a few South Bend bands I really like but the one I think PRF would dig most would be Infinite Buffalo. I think Goddard played w/ them when they came to town and they played at Borelli's last fall.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:58 am

Bardus

Legendary Divorce

The Cloth

Boroughs

Bubonic Bear (just broke up, associated with Kerosene who are still active)

Heavy Medical

Ape!

This is without even delving into the metal scene.
biscuitdough
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby mikemackey on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:29 am

Beware The Dangers Of A Ghost Scorpion! - rowdy surf rock. amazing live show.

Doug Tuttle - spacey 60's psych pop. also kills it live.
mikemackey
ensign
ensign

Postby PEPPER! on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:51 am

garthplinko wrote:There are more than a few South Bend bands I really like but the one I think PRF would dig most would be Infinite Buffalo. I think Goddard played w/ them when they came to town and they played at Borelli's last fall.

yeah! Infinite Buffalo were an amazing band and very cool dudes, I would love to see them again.

I've happened across The Avantist a couple times in the past few months and really dug them. I don't know what to compare them to except maybe a prog-rock Cell Phones or that one good Mars Volta record.

only saw them once but really liked Tinkerbelles the time French Goodbye played with them, trash pop/punk for people who get laid. also whoa, I guess they are in the middle of playing 40 shows in 10 days right now, I might try to catch the Saki one at 4PM Sunday.

another fun 2-piece band is Foul Tip
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby flanneljammies on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:32 am

Russell Emerson Hall. Throat torturer. Guitar abuser.
Current: Twelves and Bell & Circuit.
Ex: Tyranny Is Tyranny and United Sons of Toil.
"Yeah, that pedal is way too comedic for you. You're not silly at all."
flanneljammies
life
life

Postby tmoneygetpaid on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:17 am

PEPPER! wrote:another fun 2-piece band is Foul Tip

Great to see Foul Tip get some love here. With luck their record will be out soon. Love them dudes.

Adam plays in 2 other great bands, Lifestyles and Circuit des Yeux. Ed plays all over the place, including with Hums + Haws, and is part of the video collective Zone Vision.
tmoneygetpaid
pod
pod

Postby gjp on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:19 am

Nothing that good going on here.

Unholy Two are pretty sick.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby shiner555 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:45 pm

PEPPER! wrote:
garthplinko wrote:There are more than a few South Bend bands I really like but the one I think PRF would dig most would be Infinite Buffalo. I think Goddard played w/ them when they came to town and they played at Borelli's last fall.

yeah! Infinite Buffalo were an amazing band and very cool dudes, I would love to see them again.

Yes!!! IB and FT are awesome bands!!! Both should get on a PRF future event. Ed from FT's old band T'Bone was amazing as well!!! Check em both.
http://goddard.bandcamp.com
Boiler Room Repairs and Recordings
shiner555
duke
duke

Postby tallchris on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:51 pm

shiner555 wrote:
PEPPER! wrote:

Yes!!! IB and FT are awesome bands!!! Both should get on a PRF future event. Ed from FT's old band T'Bone was amazing as well!!! Check em both.

I saw Fowl Tip play a version of Black Sabbath's "Changes" that is probably the best version of "Changes" that has ever existed.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby atomjackfuser on Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:01 pm

atomjackfuser
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby lemur68 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:13 pm

gjp wrote:Nothing that good going on here.

Unholy Two are pretty sick.

Was coming in here just to say yeah, not much here these days. I couldn't tell you who the current bands are here. Miranda Sound kills it roughly once every two years. And Scrawl plays the very occasional one-off. Other than that...hey, Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments are playing tomorrow!
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby tmoneygetpaid on Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:04 pm

tallchris wrote:
shiner555 wrote:
PEPPER! wrote:

I saw Fowl Tip play a version of Black Sabbath's "Changes" that is probably the best version of "Changes" that has ever existed.

That'll be on the record.
tmoneygetpaid
pod
pod

Postby Dave N. on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:19 pm

kaleb wrote:Borzoi has a new video out that slays.

Spray Paint and Borzoi are probably my two faves, besides New China.

I actually live in Spicewood, 30 miles West of Austin, and the only band I know of from here is Willie Nelson. By all reports, he's still killing it.
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby harpseal2 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:31 pm

I gushed over Violent Soho, DZ Deathrays, and Dune Rats in the "Australian Music" thread, so I guess I'll do it here. I seriously love DZ Deathrays, and I enjoy the others quite a lot.

Aside from being extremely awesome, they are also somewhat reinvigorating the alternative rock scene in Australia, which is definitely something to be applauded.

There's actually a couple of bands from my school which are also quite good, but I won't say their names, because I'm not sure if they'd like that.
I'm just trying to be a better person. My name is Brock.

sulfur)addict wrote:My love for the Stooges is a complex and nuanced thing, like the female orgasm, or running Diablo 2 on Windows 7.
harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby sulfur)addict on Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Skurt are one of my favorite bands around. Not just in Dayton, but anywhere. One part Sabbath at punk speeds, another part weirdo noise, a final part Ashley's limbo-ing vocals (it's been pointed out to me by FM Kyle Sowash that they're reminiscent to an old KRS band called the Need). They've apparently recorded a full length due to be out any time now. I'll be updating this shit when that drops.

https://skurtdayton.bandcamp.com/

Ossicles play a mix of post-rock and At The Drive-In styled post-hardcore, though their guitarist hates when I namedrop ATDI. Incredible band, I think they're in the middle of recording an album too. But their demos on bandcamp are already pretty good!

https://ossicles1.bandcamp.com/

And my friends in the Flesh Pets recently acquired a new guitarist from an old instrumental band, which has added a whole 'nother layer to their messy Wipers rock. Nothing to show yet, so take my word for it.

Here's a split between Mayliner, a pretty good pop-punk band, and Jasper the Colossal, who are like a pop-inflected Sleater-Kinney and every bit as good as 'em. The two bands share a member in my friend Paige, who plays drums in the former and bass/vocals in the latter. I know Jasper are also due to drop their second full length (first as a trio) sometime soon, and I'm positive it's gonna be awesome.

https://fmrecords.bandcamp.com/album/jasper-the-colossal-mayliner-split

If little ol' Dayton can have four bands this awesome from the 30-and-under crowd, I'm willing to bet you Columbus dudes just aren't looking closely enough.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby placeholder on Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:27 pm

ihcilon. Serious drones and electronics.

Strengths. Bonkers prog-punk.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Mason on Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:46 am

Slates, who are well-liked by some on the forum. Constantines, Wipers, etc.
https://slates.bandcamp.com/

I was supposed to helm a session of demo recordings for their next record, but it was too near the PRBBQ for me to get time off work for it. But trust me when I say the new stuff is tremendous. Same sort of thing, but with some deranged grooves that come out of nowhere.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:55 pm

Headwinds They're the homies from the East side of LV. They tear shit up live. Like a way better No Age (and I love No Age).

Republican Marriage They're real close to playing their first show. Noisey awesome shit. Unfortunately there are no available recordings online.

Suffer Bomb Damage - (RIP) They were one of my favorite bands in LV. We've played some intense shows together.

Dark Black The homies that used to be in Caravels. New band that are kind of like True Widow. Dope dudes and I trust their jams.

CHINA - we're always killin' out here 8) . Also just finished recording our newest record all analog at the best studio in LV. 11th Street Records. It's an all vinyl (fucking beautiful) record store in the front, and a beautiful studio in the back.

Luna Flore Very good friend of mine and his buddies making sweet, Shoegazey kind of material that I enjoy a lot. Great live, too.

Free LSD Probably one of my favorite bands in LV. Pure repetition that would make Spacemen 3 tired. Love these dudes. They kind of imploded there for a minute do to drug issues, but they're back and even better the second time around now that my best bud Keaton (Babies in Bardo) is playing guitar for them again.

God's America They are probably the second most successful band to come from LV (behind Caravels). These dudes write some of the best power violence I have heard since INFEST. Really good friends of mine. Love those dudes and are happy they get to tour and shit.

Beemaster Really emotive, intense kind of punk rock. I really dig 'em. Last time CHINA played a show, Brian (Beemaster vocals/guitar) opened up the show solo style and it sounded great.

The Bitters Some rad, older dudes that play some weird kind of instrumental, Fripp and The Fucking Champs styled jams. They rule.

Deadhand I remember seeing these dudes at some "Nirvana tribute show" after we played. We opted to cover Wire instead of Nirvana and Deadhand were 3 of maybe 15 people that actually knew who Wire were at that show, so we stuck around and watched their set right after that. They ruled.

Vihan Rytmi Fucking crushing blast punk. These dudes slayed. One of the best house shows I have ever been to was when they played a couple years back. The place got thrashed, but the house was meant for shows so no one cared.

Von Kin - The Smiths vibe runnin' through these dudes. used to blast coke with those guys and watch 'em play right after. They are pretty gifted.

Warblood The most unintentional Flipper band of LV. We played a show with them at this sweet house out here that has a shitload of great bands come through, and they were the best band that played that night. I liked how none of them knew who Flipper were either.

Brother Mister Total prog. These guys are our bros. They are straight up MUSICIANS.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby tallchris on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:15 pm

Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris

Next