home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Simple Simple Recipes for FM NewDarkAge to Learn Cooking on

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Simple Simple Recipes for FM NewDarkAge to Learn Cooking

Postby madmanmunt on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:18 pm

Hey, this is a piss easy way to deal with a pork fillet/tenderloin:

Get your fillet/tenderloin from your nearest farm that keeps happy pigs.

Get 4 slices of prosciutto.

Pre-heat your oven to 200c.

Season your fillet all over. Not to much.

Lay out the slices of prosciutto overlapping on your work surface about the width of your fillet. Wrap the fillet in the sheet of prosciutto you have made. You want the effect of a big meat cigar.

Heat oil in your ovenproof pan. If your pan is too small you can cut the fillet in two.

Put the "cigar" in your pan and brown on all sides. 3-4 mins.

Bung the pan in the oven for about 8-10mins. Be careful not to cook it too much. If there are juices: baste. Leave in a warm place to rest for 5 mins before slicing into 1 inch pieces.

Maybe serve with braised fennel and follow with a lemon tart...
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby madmanmunt on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:43 pm

Here's an easy way to do good porridge:

Get a bag of chunky rolled oats. Sainsbury's "Taste the Difference" Scottish ones are good and readily available.

Measure your oats. You'll need less than you think. Remember the volume of oats; half a cup will normally do me.

Now, sieve the oats to get rid of all the dust. Bung 'em in a pan. Add: double the oat-volume in water, an equal oat-volume of milk. A pinch of good sea salt.

Low-medium heat. Stir occasionally. When it starts to feel the heat, turn it right down and stir continuously (clockwise, as anti-clockwise will invoke the Devil) until cooked to your satisfaction. I don't like any dryness in my oats, so 12-15 mins.

Serve with a spoonful of home-made jam.
Last edited by madmanmunt on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby LBx on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:50 pm

Any time I do oats (Oct onward) I boil water separately to mix with then simmer around medium heat until most of the excess liquid is gone. Touch of brown sugar is great with almond slivers and dried cranberries. Best method far as I can taste... Doesn't beat baked oatmeal though.
LBx
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby simmo on Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:45 am

Seasonal and simple pumpkin pasta dish. Made it last night and it was delicious!

The only things that are remotely hard are:

- sourcing a decent pumpkin, i.e. NOT the ones they sell for Halloween lanterns, they taste like shit. You want something like a crown prince. But anything that has firm, sweet, bright orange flesh would be fine. You could probably use a butternut, although it might be a bit too sweet....

- peeling and dicing the pumpkin. Although actually this isn't hard, it's just a schlep and requires a half-decent knife.

Pasta Alla Zucca:

Ingredients:
1 pumpkin, approx 1.5kg
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
750ml vegetable stock
150ml white wine
250g pasta (rigatoni ideally, but anything not too thick would work)
Parmesan
50 butter
12 sage leaves
Nutmeg
Mild Chilli Powder
Salt

Method:
1. Peel and dice the pumpkin. This isn't hard but it is time-consuming. Cut it in half; scoop out the pulp; cut in to smaller slices; remove the skin and about 3mm of flesh with a paring knife; dice in to approx 2cmx2cm chunks. Make sure you've peeled enough of the skin/flesh off- you shouldn't be left with any rough, pale, thick flesh.

2. In a large pan, soften the onion and garlic on a low heat in plenty of olive oil- about 5 mins or so.

3. Add the pumpkin, cook for 3-4 minutes.

4. Increase the heat to full flame; add the white wine; cook until the white wine has reduced (evaporated) a little.

5. Add about half the stock, a generous amount of nutmeg (which is still probably less than half a teaspoon), a small amount of chilli powder (just enough for a little kick); salt. Cover and simmer for around ten minutes, until the pumpkin is soft.

6. When the pumpkin is soft, break the chunks up a little with the back of a fork. Don't mash it all up, just give it a bit of texture variety.

7. Add the pasta and the rest of the stock, making sure the pasta is covered. You can add more/stock water if you need to.

7. Cook for around 10 mins or until the pasta is al dente. You may need to stir regularly to stop the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

8. A couple of minutes before your pasta is going to be ready, melt 50g of butter in a sauce pan. Add the sage leaves and fry on a low heat for around 2 mins.

9. Dish up the pumpkin pasta; sprinkle generously with grated parmesan; drizzle over the sage butter.
Last edited by simmo on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
simmo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Dudley on Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:57 am

madmanmunt wrote:Here's an easy way to do good porridge:

Get a bag of chunky rolled oats. Sainsbury's "Taste the Difference" Scottish ones are good and readily available.

Measure your oats. You'll need less than you think. Remember the volume of oats; half a cup will normally do me.

Now, sieve the oats to get rid of all the dust. Bung 'em in a pan. Add: double the oat-volume in water, an equal oat-volume of milk. A pinch of good sea salt.

Low-medium heat. Stir occasionally. When it starts to feel the heat, turn it right down and stir continuously (clockwise, as anti-clockwise will invoke the Devil) until cooked to your satisfaction. I don't like any dryness in my oats, so 12-15 mins.

Serve with jam??? WITH JAM????

And you worry that your mere direction of stir might invoke Old Nick, when you, sir, clearly invite the Antichrist into your home, set him a place at table and even given him your best novelty egg-cup on a regular basis. Jam! To think of it....
Anthony Flack wrote:At the end of the day it's everybody's appreciation of cement that is the winner.
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby JohnnySomersett on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:29 am

Dudley wrote:
madmanmunt wrote:Here's an easy way to do good porridge:

Serve with jam??? WITH JAM????

And you worry that your mere direction of stir might invoke Old Nick, when you, sir, clearly invite the Antichrist into your home, set him a place at table and even given him your best novelty egg-cup on a regular basis. Jam! To think of it....

Jam, no...Brown sugar and double cream...yes.
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby mmuchi on Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:07 pm

Bruschetta:

Rinse/dry cherry tomatoes, then halve/quarter them (depending on size). If you don't have cherry tomato shredding any (high quality) tomato with a cheese grater works great too (they do this in Spain)

Chop or rip some basil and toss it with the tomatoes. Be gentle, try to keep the tomatoes intact you don't want all the juices to come out...

Peel some garlic cloves but keep them whole/intact.

Slice some thick slices of hard italian bread (any quality bread will do but crusty bread is best). Toast it (broil in oven or toaster) until it's brown crispy/charred on the corners but still a little soft on the inside.

Rub garlic clove on crusts and all over the toast (more if you like it spicy) then drizzle with fine extra virgin olive oil.

Generously spoon your tomato mixture on top and garnish with basil. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy as a snack, lunch or starter!

Gazpatcho:

Drizzle some oil on a baking sheet
Halve/quarter and deseed a few Red, Yellow and/or Orange Peppers.
Cut half an onion into small/medium sized pieces.
A few cloves of garlic complete with skin
Score the skin on several tomatoes with a knife and remove the stem
Slow roast on low/medium heat until nicely browned and shriveled.

Toast a few ends/crusts/butts of bread and cut them into small cubes.

Take peppers, tomatoes onion and garlic (take the skin off) and add it to a blender. Add the bread cubes (bread crumbs can also work). You can also add a fresh tomato and garlic at this point too.
Add lemon juice and vinegar (try balsamic for a change) and chilly flakes to taste. Let cool, refrigerate, and serve cold with an ice cube and a drizzle of olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro/parsley. Serve with thick toast rubbed with garlic and olive oil. Great in summer.
mmuchi
envoy
envoy

Postby andyman on Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:52 pm

OK, dunno where else to put this. I can't cook worth a damn but I think I just invented something pretty great.

Whenever I'm doing breaded chicken breasts in the oven I throw a couple of eggs in a small dish and dip the fillets in there, before padding them in the breadcrumbs (to get the bread to stick). I usually add some herbs to the egg beforehand. So, at the end there's always a bit of egg left over, which I'll cook, and some breadcrumbs (which I throw out). Tonight I had the bright idea of mixing them together before making the omelette. I threw in a lot of crumbs and it looked almost uncookable - more of a goop or a paste - but I tried it anyway, and the result was magnificient. The toasted bread subdues the egg taste, which is always too strong for me. I even put some black pepper on top halfway through. Would do again. Feck.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby jimmy two hands on Fri May 27, 2016 12:18 am

Say, FM NewDarkAge, you've been adulting for about a year now. How's the cooking been working out?
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby first2letters on Fri May 27, 2016 10:25 am

Cacio e Pepe is super-easy to make and super-easy to do wrong, so I've found it to be a good test of improv, presentation, and time-management skills.

Start with this (don't skimp on the caliber of pasta and cheese), adjust to your taste, and lemme know how it goes. I could eat this stuff daily:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/reviews/cacio-e-pepe-365162
first2letters
chris "jesus" ferguson
chris "jesus" ferguson

Postby Janeway on Fri May 27, 2016 10:45 am

a pinch of sugar on vegetables in the oven makes them taste roasted rather than baked. broccoli esp gets like, grilled-tasting :smt016
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby catwoman on Fri May 27, 2016 11:56 pm

first2letters wrote:Cacio e Pepe is super-easy to make and super-easy to do wrong, so I've found it to be a good test of improv, presentation, and time-management skills.

Start with this (don't skimp on the caliber of pasta and cheese), adjust to your taste, and lemme know how it goes. I could eat this stuff daily:

In terms of minimal ingredients for big flavor, this is definitely it. I love this stuff.

I have trouble when I try to make it at home with the cheese becoming globby, so there's clearly some technique I'm not quite getting, or I need better quality cheeses. Even globby, it tastes so good that I, too, could eat this stuff daily.
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Janeway on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:27 am

when cooking a pizza, doesn't matter if it's frozen or you homemade it yourself, bake it however long your recipe says except for the last two minutes, when you should broil it.. it makes the cheese get those black spots and taste melty like a real delivery pizza, even vegan cheese

it's like using your oven to make the cheese torched on top like those crime brûlée torches that burn the sugar into that flakey delicious layer
Janeway

Postby Janeway on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:33 am

glitter grapes

wash your grapes and then roll them around in jello powder while they're wet and then stick em in a bowl in the fridge like how you make jello and they taste like sweet caviar or mini gummy bears around a sweet grape and it's pretty good.. much sweeter tasting than the content of actual sugar thats in it.. and it looks kinda fancy
Janeway

Postby Rimbaud III on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:21 am

catwoman wrote:
first2letters wrote:Cacio e Pepe is super-easy to make and super-easy to do wrong, so I've found it to be a good test of improv, presentation, and time-management skills.

In terms of minimal ingredients for big flavor, this is definitely it. I love this stuff.

I have trouble when I try to make it at home with the cheese becoming globby, so there's clearly some technique I'm not quite getting, or I need better quality cheeses. Even globby, it tastes so good that I, too, could eat this stuff daily.

I see that this post is a few months old now, but I've found that adding the cheese to the pan once it's been off the heat for a couple of minutes or so will prevent that from happening. Someone with the relevant credentials might need to set me straight here, but the way I understand it hard cheeses, on account of their lower water content, don't react well to heat. When that moisture's lost (as it would be in a hot pan) they clump.

Oh, and that dish up there^^? Fucking delicious.
Rimbaud III

Postby amar on Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:27 pm

Perfect for autum weather - Sausage, red lentil, kale soup

1. Fry up ~ 1 lbs sweet Italian sausage uncased for about 10 min
2. 5 minutes into frying up the sausage, throw in pressed garlic and 1 chopped onion
3. Add 4 cups of chicken broth, 2 cups of red dried lentils, large can of whole peeled tomatoes, salt and pepper to season
4. Bring to boil, then turn down heat and let simmer for 25 min
5. Add about 5 cups chopped kale, and stir for about a minute

And that's it
amar
cats
cats

Postby enframed on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:31 am

Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

Postby enframed on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:33 am

Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

Postby Johnny C on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:32 pm

Can Sam cook now or no
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby JohnnySomersett on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:17 am

enframed wrote:Oyakodon is SUPER easy.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016 ... ecipe.html

I've never heard of this but it looks delicious. Being vegetarian I'll probably substitute the chicken for some firm tofu. Thanks!
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion