home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Simple Simple Recipes for FM NewDarkAge to Learn Cooking on

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Simple Simple Recipes for FM NewDarkAge to Learn Cooking

Postby Janeway on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:15 am

bridled chicken unconsomme'd

or

winner winner chicken dinner in the form of a clear watery broth with some shit on top

put a chicken in a pot and boil it with water and dont add any seasoning at all.. maybe a little egg white to clairfy if it needs it, but you'll prob forget that step if you're heartbroken which is why the chicken stays unconsomme..then you can serve it in a bowl with egg noodles and some itlaian bread crumbs on top

it'll look like this kinda :?
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Janeway on Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:35 pm

burnt-squeezed orange juice: a national pastime?

just fuckin.. i dont know, throw an orange in the oven like you would a potato except it wont be at all like how a potato wouldve been running things in there and when the heat gets crazy you betta press!

or better yet just, you know.. keep an eye on it for four years and then quietly just like toss it in the trash or soemthing.
Janeway

Postby NewDarkAge on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:21 pm

Janeway wrote:just fuckin.. i dont know, throw an orange in the oven like you would a potato except it wont be at all like how a potato wouldve been running things in there and when the heat gets crazy you betta press!

or better yet just, you know.. keep an eye on it for four years and then quietly just like toss it in the trash or soemthing.

I love you.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby bishopdante on Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:57 am

Tip:

buy wok (proper carbon steel one)

before using it, it has to be seasoned. But how ? No worries, I brought it to my friend restaurant, the professional chef season the wok for me. The final product is a carbon steel wok that will not stick. Way better than the poisonous non-stick pan people buy in the store

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

_____

Once seasoned, never, ever wash a wok with anything other than clean water. Detergent will destroy the coating. The older the wok gets, with a blackened oil coating, the less food will stick.

phpBB [media]
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Janeway on Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:21 am

^okay so my issue ive been mulling around with for too long is the best scrubbing agent with which to apply pressure to the salt granules.. only im working with cast iron and not wok steel but its the same exact concept

so this guy just has a cloth, or? ..i think im in the process of inventing something better :smt017

a season stone? but its gotta be.. hm..
Janeway

Postby enframed on Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:39 am

"Deglaze" with just water first, saves a lot of scrubbing time.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby matthew on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Since this thread has turned to talking about woks, it's important to mention that you can't really do the wok thing without a very high BTU gas burner, be it natural gas or LPG...and a well-ventilated cooking space.

Cooking with an iron or carbon steel wok is a hot, smoky, firey affair. That's the only way to impart the 鑊氣 that gives the food that distinct flavor.

As much as I like the wok, I don't recommend doing the wok thing unless you have a kitchen or cooking space equipped to do it right.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby bishopdante on Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:50 pm

Certainly I would not recommend using an electric hob for a wok. That'd be dead sad. Big ring on the standard gas hob I can work with no worries, but sure a proper wok burner is the ideal.

This is intriguing, a metal ring that fits on a normal range which produces a powerful flame specific for a wok: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the- ... ution.html

They also work great just stuck over the charcoal on a barbecue, can also get some pretty interesting teracotta charcoal burning devices of Asian design for outdoor use.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante

Postby Janeway on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:46 pm

po' s'mo'es (like a po' boy dessert version of s'mores)
ImageImageImage
its just a bite of whatever chocolate from your pantry even if its just a quick squirt of hersheys syrup and then a handful of chex cereal, honey or cinnamon or vanilla or even chocolate, and a blast of whipped cream and its a tornado smore in your mouth while you eat it it becomes it
Janeway

Postby moonman on Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:02 am

enframed wrote:Oyakodon is SUPER easy.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016 ... ecipe.html

Oyakodon is great. This is another great Don recipe.

moonman
the cheat
the cheat

Postby yaledelay on Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:26 pm

This recipe has maybe the biggest bang-buck ratio of easiness to wow-factor of any recipe I know.

The DUTCH BABY!!!

You need
3 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter

a blender

a pan that can go from the stove to the over (cast-irons work well but are not needed)

Other things can be added, but basically that is all you need.

preheat oven to 400.

put 3 eggs in the blender, dump in the flour and the milk (some people use room temp milk) I normally add a pinch of cinnamon and sugar but you do not have to. Blend it until it is super thin (about 5 min) batter.

Add butter to warm pan, let brown. Once the butter starts to brown add batter to the pan, and put it in the pre-heated oven for about 20 min.

It will expand and get nice and golden brown, if you like your dutch baby a little more crispy lower the temp on the oven to 325 and give it a extra 5-10 min.

Take your baby out of the oven brush will melted butter, powdered sugar and a squeeze of lemon if you are a traditionalist. If not get creative, drizzle with honey, smear with goat cheese, add some jam ect.

The recipe is easy to re-configure and hard to mess up... and has a wow factor.
yaledelay
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Seby on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:43 am

Vegan curries! Look at what we made on Sunday : ) Here are the recipes….

You can use a garam masala out of a packet, but that is very boring. Grinding your own is more fun, as you can then experiment with different versions. For this, you will need a large mortar and pestle, but you will need one for some of the recipes below anyway. So get a mortar and pestle. Here is a garam masala recipe to get you started.

Garam Masala:

Grind together 4 parts black pepper corns, , 4 parts coriander seed, 3 parts green cardamoms, 3 parts fennel seed, 1 part cloves, and 1 part cinnamon.

Some handy hints - Stuff like pepper, salt, chilli, and lemon juice is really to taste. Lemons in particular can taste very differently depending on the variety and time of year. Maybe taste lemons before you use them and after a while you will get the nag of knowing how much lemon juice you will need in a particular dish. But really, you need to taste as you go. Actually, all of the spice amounts below are to taste, but they are a good start.

Masur dal:

3 cups of red lentils
3 teaspoons cumin seeds
3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
3 teaspoons turmeric powder
Salt (to taste)
18 cloves
4 inches cinnamon, broken
12 green cardamoms
3 cups grated coconut
12 black pepper corns
12 cloves garlic
Olive oil
4 onions

Wash the lentils until the water runs clear. Boil with enough water to cover completely and then some. Grind all of the ingredients except the onions, salt, and olive oil. Heat olive oil and fry onions until golden brown. Add the ground up paste (a super masala paste, basically), and fry for several minutes. Add to the lentils and stir in just as the lentils are cooked. You might need to adjust the water level as you go as the lentils will absorb a lot! This will thicken up in the fridge so you will probably want to add water if/when you reheat.

Mushrooms and Spinach:

Tonnes of spinach. Like 500g of leaves at least
One big bag of mushrooms. Tiny brown ones work well, and look adorable.
1 bunch coriander, leaves chopped finely, with roots separated
Salt to taste
2 teaspoons turmeric powder
2 teaspoons paprika
Green chillies to taste (chopped)
Olive oil
2 onions
3 teaspoons mustard seeds
1.5 teaspoons cumin seeds
3 teaspoons garam masala

Chop up all of the spinach. This is shit and takes forever. Use something electric to help you. We slice it roughly, put it in the pot with a little bit of water, then go at it with a hand/stick blender until it is purified. Whatever works. Now boil the spinach with the turmeric, salt, paprika, and chillis. Boil for ages. Like an hour at least. The spinach will go from light green to a much darker colour. You want to use a very small amount of water as spinach is mainly water and it will release a lot of its own. If you fuck this part up and add too much water, then just press the spinach down and skim the water off the top. You will do better next time. As the spinach is boiling, fry the onions in the oil with the mustard seeds and cumin seeds until golden brown. Whilst they are frying, grind the coriander roots up with the garam masala. Add this to the onions and seeds after the onions have turned golden brown. Fry for several minutes, until the masala paste has blended in completely. Add the fried mixture to the spinach (but only after the spinach is boiled completely, see above). Taste the spinach and adjust for salt and whatnot. When it is right, add the mushrooms. Since the spinach mixture is thack/dryish, you will need to push the mushrooms down into it. Now cover with a lid and leave on a low heat for an hour or so, or until the mushrooms are cooked through. Stir occasionally to make sure that nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pot. When the mushrooms are cooked through, add the chopped coriander leaves and stir through. Leave cooking for another five minutes or so, then you are done.

Chick Peas (Channa Masala):

3 tins of chic peas (not dried ones unless you have a lot of time on your hands - look up how to deal with them. "Just soaking" is lies. You will need a pressure cooker)
Salt
Green chillis to taste (chopped)
2 inches ginger (sliced finely)
6 green cardamoms
18 black peppercorns
3 inches cinnamon, broken
18 cloves
Olive oil
12 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons paprika or chilli powder
3 teaspoons turmeric powder
2 teaspoons cumin powder
6 teaspoons coriander powder
bunch of chopped coriander leaves
3 teaspoons garam masala
Half cup lemon juice

Wash and strain chic peas, boil with salt, half the onion, green chillis, cardamoms, peppercorns, cinnamon, and cloves. Simmer for a good half hour. Strain off the resulting stock and set aside (drink some of this, it is the Nectar of the Gods, trust me). So you now have the stock and the drained chic peas. Heat up the oil and fry the rest of the onion, and garlic, until golden brown. Add the paprika, turmeric, cumin powder, and coriander powder. Now add the chic peas and fry on a medium-high heat, stirring and mixing and lifting very gently. Do this for at least ten minutes, and do not skip this part. It is hard work, but it is a crucial step in making the gravy. People often skip this step and complain that their channa masala was thin. It was thin because they skipped the ten minutes of chic pea frying. Now mix in the coriander leaves, garam masala, and lemon juice. Now add as much of the stock as you need to make a thick gravy. Taste for salt and lemon juice.

Eggplant/Aubergine Curry:

Lots of eggplant. About 700g.
Olive oil
2 teaspoons turmeric powder
8 cloves
2 teaspoons cumin powder
2 teaspoons coriander powder
12 black peppercorns
2 inches ginger (chopped finely)
1 teaspoon chilli powder
Bunch of coriander leaves (chopped)
5 tomatoes
Salt to taste
.5 cup lemon juice

Cut the eggplant up into squares and soak in cold water. heat oil and fry all of the spices for five minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt, and eggplant. Stir for five minutes. Add the lemon juice. Cover, and cook slowly until the eggplant is cooked.Check on it to make sure it is not sticking to the bottom of the pan. This dish is quite sour, and makes a good match with a sweeter curries.

Nepali Vegetable Curry:

Olive oil
2 onions (chopped)
2 bay leaves, broken up
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Green chillis to taste
12 cloves garlic, chopped
3 inches ginger, chopped
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Bunch of coriander leaves, chopped.
4 teaspoons coriander seeds
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
Now vegetables! Chopped up. About 1kg or more in total. It's up to you which ones you use. But when we made this we used (I think…we just grabbed whatever looked fun):
Squash
Brocoli
Potato
Taro root
Leek
Carrots
Long string beany things
Fresh beetroot (This is amazing! Use this!)

Heat oil and fry onion until golden brown. Add bay leaves, pepper, chillis, garlic, turmeric, and salt. Add a splash or two of water and then add your root vegetables. Fry-boil for ten minutes or so. Add everything else and enough water so that things are sort of covered. Cook on a low heat until the vegetables are cooked. When you add the different vegetables depends on what vegetables you have and how you like them. For example, we like our broccoli to be fresh and crunchy, so we add it at the very end.
Last edited by Seby on Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seby
webelos
webelos

Postby Madman Munt on Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:17 pm

Seby wrote:3 tins of chic peas

This iz what Nile Rodgers has for his dinner.

Seby wrote:(not fresh ones unless you have a lot of time on your hands - look up how to deal with them. "Just soaking" is lies. You will need a pressure cooker)

Not sure that this is the truth. Do you mean dried CPs? And how were chic peas prepared before the invention of the the pressure cooker?

Soak overnight, boil hard 20 mins, simmer 80 mins is what the packet said last time I checked. I am not a Certified CP Master and I'll bet this is not the optimum method of dealing with the little buggers, but it provides such a perfectly adequate result that I have not been tempted to explore the matter further.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby Seby on Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:05 pm

Madman Munt wrote:
Seby wrote:3 tins of chic peas

This iz what Nile Rodgers has for his dinner.

Seby wrote:(not fresh ones unless you have a lot of time on your hands - look up how to deal with them. "Just soaking" is lies. You will need a pressure cooker)

Not sure that this is the truth. Do you mean dried CPs? And how were chic peas prepared before the invention of the the pressure cooker?

Soak overnight, boil hard 20 mins, simmer 80 mins is what the packet said last time I checked. I am not a Certified CP Master and I'll bet this is not the optimum method of dealing with the little buggers, but it provides such a perfectly adequate result that I have not been tempted to explore the matter further.

I shall give this a solid go, again. But I have done this exactly, and then simmered for hours, and they have never softened properly.

Sorry yes! By "fresh" I meant "dried", which is not fresh of course.
Seby
webelos
webelos

Postby Madman Munt on Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:07 pm

Here's the most bang-for-your-effort pudding you can make, I think. I might even prefer it to an egg custard.

Blood orange posset

2 blood oranges
1 lemon
500ml double cream
120g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod (I often use essence, but pod is better)

Zest oranges- save 1 tsp of zest. Microplane is great for this. Squeeze juices of oranges & lemon.

Put cream then sugar in pan. Slit and scrape seeds of vanilla pod and place both in pan. Turn heat to low and add orange zest.

Slowly bring to boil then simmer for 2 mins.

Remove from heat and whisk in the juices of orange and lemon. Pass through a fine sieve into a jug.

Pour into your moulds, ramekins, little cups, mini bowls, whatever. A small glass is nice.

Chill in fridge for 4 hrs. Eat with a little spoon.

Try it with normal oranges, too. You can also make it with just lemons, adding extra sugar, but I'm not too keen on that.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby Janeway on Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:07 am

^caster sugar

throw sugar granules in the blender. cannot substitute with brown or powdered sugar.
Janeway

Postby Janeway on Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:08 am

brown sugar

throw sugar and a spoonful of maple syrup in a plastic bag and mix it up all sandy. thrown in a few raisins to keep it fresh.
Janeway

Postby Janeway on Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:10 am

powdered sugar

hm... don't just put cornstarch and sugar together. prob would taste better as sugar sprinkled on fresh powdery snow.. on your donuts or whatever
Janeway

Postby Johnny C on Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:36 pm

This recipe is super, super good. I added a few cups of barley after blending to give it a bit more textural and nutritional heft, which I'd strongly recommend. http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013 ... -chipotles

Winter is a good time for kale salads, which are easy to prepare in large batches due to kale's hardiness. Throw a couple tablespoons of mayonnaise, the juice and zest of one lemon, a squirt of grainy mustard, a pinch of salt and pepper, and as many cloves of minced or mashed fresh or roasted garlic as you'd like into a small bowl, whisk together, and toss that over a large amount of coarsely-chopped kale leaves. A little dressing goes a long way, since the kale softens without really absorbing much dressing. If you're using curly kale, you have to let this sit for basically a day; other kale will be ready within about an hour. I like to top mine with some toasted seeds or nuts (just throw 'em in a nonstick pan on medium heat with no oil and wait til they start to brown), dried cranberries, and quick-pickled red onions.

Those quick-pickled onions, by the way, I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned, but I love them. Slice up red onions nice and thin, and put them in a glass container that you'd like to store in your fridge. Make enough brine mix to cover them in the following proportions: 2 parts water, 1 part cider vinegar, 1/6-1/4 parts each salt and sugar. If you wanna really go buck you can toss a few peppercorns in, and maybe a bay leaf if you're willing to pluck it out. Then just pour this over the onions and let 'em sit. There's a few other ways you can do this - personally, I boil the water and vinegar, then add the salt and sugar, then cover the onions. Some people blanch the onions first. Whatever works. You can use the brine in salad dressings or even reuse it a couple of times, unless it starts to look cloudy. (I've actually been recycling about half of the brine every time I make a new batch; I adjust the vinegar level upward for the added liquid and keep the salt and sugar about the same, boil it all together, and then make a new batch. Been doing that for about 18 months now and it hasn't killed me yet, so.)

Sam can you cook yet
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Tommy Alpha on Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:10 am

Still my favourite recipe:

kazoozak wrote:Nutella Spoons
(ingr: One jar of Nutella, One spoon [or several plastic ones])
1. Open jar of Nutella.
2. Insert spoon into jar of Nutella and scoop out a sizable portion thereof.
3. Eat the hell out of.
4. Repeat until having achieved climax or until entire jar is finished, whichever comes first.

Nutella Spoons!
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion