home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Shellac UK IRELAND 2017

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Shellac UK IRELAND 2017

Postby night_tools on Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:25 pm

Damian wrote:Glasgow, Manchester and Birmingham for me. After seeing the guys in Holland and Belgium already this year, I just needed more!!

Give me a shout if you fancy a pint before the Glasgow show. I'll be heading through from Edinburgh.
Too bad my Torlex shirt hasn't arrived yet :(
Seeing Shellac in the Lemon Tree will be amazing. Kudos to whoever made that happen!
Anyone else going to the Glasgow show?
You're a shit MD and I want my pizza money back.
night_tools
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby lucy on Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:12 am

Those who bought London tickets via SEE - have you received them yet? :( I am still waiting for mine...
:smt024
lucy
took picture of naked guy

Postby ismaelbelda on Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:36 am

lucy wrote:Those who bought London tickets via SEE - have you received them yet? :( I am still waiting for mine...

I haven't. And as I live in Spain and the concert is only five days away and I'll fly to London on Monday, yesterday I wrote them and now I will collect the tickets from the venue the day of the gig. Big load off my chest.
ismaelbelda
viscount
viscount

Postby lucy on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:31 am

ismaelbelda wrote:
lucy wrote:Those who bought London tickets via SEE - have you received them yet? :( I am still waiting for mine...

I haven't. And as I live in Spain and the concert is only five days away and I'll fly to London on Monday, yesterday I wrote them and now I will collect the tickets from the venue the day of the gig. Big load off my chest.

Thanks for the advice, Ismaelbelda. Tardy service from SEE, imo. Glad you are collecting your tickets from EB - I received a similar response earlier this afternoon, though was told to wait until two working days before requesting collection ... I might reply and ask now. :mrgreen:

Hopefully see you at the gig - I'll aim to stand at or very close to the front! :smt006
Have a safe flight on Monday. ~ L.
lucy

Postby ismaelbelda on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:03 am

lucy wrote:
ismaelbelda wrote:

Thanks for the advice, Ismaelbelda. Tardy service from SEE, imo. Glad you are collecting your tickets from EB - I received a similar response earlier this afternoon, though was told to wait until two working days before requesting collection ... I might reply and ask now. :mrgreen:

Hopefully see you at the gig - I'll aim to stand at or very close to the front! :smt006
Have a safe flight on Monday. ~ L.

Yes, a bit belated, but also I tend to freak out easily with these things, I mean tickets delivered to my home from another country and expected days just before the event.

Yeah, hopefully I'll se you at the Electric Ballroom! I'll try to be in front as well (well, maybe not so much on account of an old and for now dormant tinnitus). You'll be the Anna Karina lookalike, I guess. :mrgreen:
ismaelbelda
viscount
viscount

Postby cjh on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:08 am

Super great show in Birmingham last night, very weird venue which is like an HM club as imagined in the fever dream of an 80s slasher flick director, excellent sound though and it worked surprisingly well, just about the perfect capacity. Great crowd too, everyone I spoke to loved it and said it was as good as they've ever seen them. The new songs are 100% killer and the rest of the set delivered, they played just about everything I could have wanted. If the rest of the tour follows suit you're in for a treat.

I was enjoying myself too much to take any photos but managed a snap of Steve and Bob (both utterly charming) flogging merch from the stage after the show:

cjh
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby free meat on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:09 am

Glasgow was good but please play somewhere else next time. SWG3 is absolutely terrible for sound. One of the worst venues in town. I'd even be happy travelling to Edinburgh if it meant you played the liquid room again.
free meat
mike piazza
mike piazza

Postby Luzwei on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:54 am

You're such an elitist.
lemur68 wrote:A bite from a Lu Zworis is also highly venomous.

I Joe 4 play.
Luzwei
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby free meat on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:19 pm

True dat.
free meat
mike piazza
mike piazza

Postby floog on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:56 pm

cjh wrote:Super great show in Birmingham last night, very weird venue which is like an HM club as imagined in the fever dream of an 80s slasher flick director, excellent sound though and it worked surprisingly well, just about the perfect capacity. Great crowd too, everyone I spoke to loved it and said it was as good as they've ever seen them. The new songs are 100% killer and the rest of the set delivered, they played just about everything I could have wanted. If the rest of the tour follows suit you're in for a treat.

Yup, Brighton was indeed a treat. Crowd + band all awesome. Great sound at the venue. Impressed by the relative absence of audience phones in the air (relative to ATP audiences), just an occasional few to capture the Youtube moments. I can't believe Bob keeps wearing those red jeans though - are they his lucky tour jeans or something?
"My life has been made a misery by people brought up on loud music" - Ivor Cutler

The Band: http://manreads.bandcamp.com/
floog
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald

Location: Bluebell Retirement Home for the Terminally Undecided

Postby andyman on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:32 am

The London show was pretty great, too, actually. The guitar was surprisingly trebly and clear; I'm not sure if that was just the mix or if some EGC servicing put more life back into the instruments?
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby holmes on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:10 am

Yeah, they were super tight and on it in London. Not exactly a dream setlist (some riffs are better than others, it's just how it is, and they have quite a few that they have ignored for years now it's getting repetitive) but a treat to hear the new stuff sounding great, and the band well on form - riding bikes and squirrel were particularly spot on. Gig was very loud, which is how all rock gigs should be. I thought the ballroom was a great venue for them, and it's always a treat to see them play. Tight as fuck.
Here comes another load of joy
holmes

Postby ismaelbelda on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:01 am

The London show was amazing. I dragged my wife there from Madrid (I'm the big Shellac fan in the house) and she had the time of her life. I was uplifted and purified and my life was made a little better. Great sound, very loud, everything very inspired, Brian Connolly impersonation (spot on!) included. The crowd was nice, but, guys, leave Bob's pants alone! Thery're cool and look great on him.
ismaelbelda
viscount
viscount

Postby lucy on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:23 am

ismaelbelda wrote:The London show was amazing. I dragged my wife there from Madrid (I'm the big Shellac fan in the house) and she had the time of her life. I was uplifted and purified and my life was made a little better. Great sound, very loud, everything very inspired, Brian Connolly impersonation (spot on!) included. The crowd was nice, but, guys, leave Bob's pants alone! Thery're cool and look great on him.

It was brilliant! My friend and I stood at the front. Good to hear a couple of new songs, including one about a Rag 'n' Bone man. Bob gave me his plectrum! :smt004 Thank you, Bob. :)
lucy

Postby ismaelbelda on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:04 am

lucy wrote:It was brilliant! My friend and I stood at the front. Good to hear a couple of new songs, including one about a Rag 'n' Bone man. Bob gave me his plectrum! :smt004 Thank you, Bob. :)

Hey! I saw him giving it to you at the end (although I didn't see you). Yeah, the new songs were great, especially that one about a kid who dreams about his father becoming a rag 'n' bone man, titled maybe "Pirates" or "Scrappers"?
ismaelbelda
viscount
viscount

Postby Parbuckle on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:07 am

holmes wrote:Not exactly a dream setlist (some riffs are better than others, it's just how it is, and they have quite a few that they have ignored for years now it's getting repetitive) but a treat to hear the new stuff sounding great

Yeah, they seem to have a hard core of 6 or 7 songs they play every show these days (Canada, End of Radio, Wingwalker, Compliant, etc). FWIW, the Brighton and London shows differed by one song (Crow at Brighton, Surveyor at London) - still, that's one more song than most bands' sets differ by from one night to the next, I suppose. And the three new ones did indeed sound great - even the one with about half a chord.

Steve seemed to be in a particularly smutty frame of mind in London - all "horny" this and "intercourse" that. Not so much in Brighton - perhaps he was intimidated by that security guy posing down the front (what a wanker he was).

lucy wrote:Bob gave me his plectrum!

I saw this happen, and can confirm it is not a euphemism.
bishopdante wrote:My early '80s Japanese strat was a good workhorse, and got used plenty.

Was very sad that it got smashed to smithereens by the Russian mafia.
Parbuckle
duke ellington
duke ellington

Postby lucy on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:34 pm

Parbuckle wrote:I saw this happen, and can confirm it is not a euphemism.

lucy

Postby lucy on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:40 pm

ismaelbelda wrote:
lucy wrote:It was brilliant! My friend and I stood at the front. Good to hear a couple of new songs, including one about a Rag 'n' Bone man. Bob gave me his plectrum! :smt004 Thank you, Bob. :)

Hey! I saw him giving it to you at the end (although I didn't see you). Yeah, the new songs were great, especially that one about a kid who dreams about his father becoming a rag 'n' bone man, titled maybe "Pirates" or "Scrappers"?

:D I think it was Scrappers. Shame I didn't see you and your friend! Maybe next time. Hope you did some sightseeing in London before your return home.
lucy

Postby ismaelbelda on Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:29 am

lucy wrote::D I think it was Scrappers. Shame I didn't see you and your friend! Maybe next time. Hope you did some sightseeing in London before your return home.

As every time my wife and I go to London, we went to the theatre, in this occasion King Lear at The Globe (not good). We also made a nostalgia visit to my former humble abode near Mile End Road (from my remote time as a university student) and ate a lot of good vegan food. We will be back for five days in January (Antony and Cleopatra by the RSC at Barbican, I have high hopes for that), and I'm looking also for a nice concert for those dates (15-20). If you know of something, let me know and maybe we can say hello!
ismaelbelda
viscount
viscount

Postby lucy on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:49 am

ismaelbelda wrote:
lucy wrote::D I think it was Scrappers. Shame I didn't see you and your friend! Maybe next time. Hope you did some sightseeing in London before your return home.

As every time my wife and I go to London, we went to the theatre, in this occasion King Lear at The Globe (not good). We also made a nostalgia visit to my former humble abode near Mile End Road (from my remote time as a university student) and ate a lot of good vegan food. We will be back for five days in January (Antony and Cleopatra by the RSC at Barbican, I have high hopes for that), and I'm looking also for a nice concert for those dates (15-20). If you know of something, let me know and maybe we can say hello!

Yeah, I read the reviews. Such a shame... I saw Macbeth and Henry V at The Globe a few years ago, both excellent. Sure, PM me - would be nice to meet you two.
lucy

Previous

Return to General Discussion