home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby Major on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Tom wrote:
Major wrote:
Tom wrote:
Major wrote:And less than 24 hrs after it began, Bitcoin Cash trading has been suspended:

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/technology ... ssion=true

What a shitshow.

yeah, it's not very reassuring that this company is the only way I can get my monies out.

Plan B: https://gemini.com/

I've been hearing about gemini. Have you used it?

Have not. Heard that from time to time you will deal with the usual Coinbase issues, but no insider trading! I do not think they support Litecoin if that matters.

I am also a little nervous because I have a small amount of BTC sitting in Coinbase I intended on cashing out. Going to cross my fingers, hope for another big run at Xmas like there was at Thanksgiving, then GTFO. Perfectly comfortable with my "portfolio" (<- how adult-sounding!) of alts at the moment.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Tom on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:04 pm

yeah. I did a cash out a few weeks ago with no issues. I'm not worried about coinbase per se, but I've heard increasing issues with banks accepting transfers from them, or any crypto company.
Tom
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby erskine on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:51 am

phpBB [media]
erskine
ben franklin
ben franklin

Postby Big John on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Last edited by Big John on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big John
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby gonzochicago on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:28 pm

erskine wrote:
phpBB [media]

:lol:

Nice.

I just cashed out a bit from Coinbase before all this bullshit started.

Weather this garbage, and CB will be back to normal by NYE.

All the curry in Osaka.

No sweat.

Hodl.

:smt006
gonzochicago
diablo
diablo

Postby Big John on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:32 pm

GonzoChicago Said;

Letting all this shit ride until January.

Hanging hard in Osaka right now. Will let the dust settle.

We're all gonna make it. :smt007

Then GonzoChicago Said;

Nice.

All the curry in Osaka.

No sweat.

Hodl.

Big John

Postby seanurban on Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Coinbase is back to usual two hour withdrawals in case anyone was worried.
In a related story, doge just hit a penny!
seanurban
King High

Postby gonzochicago on Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:08 pm

Big John wrote:GonzoChicago Said;

Letting all this shit ride until January.

Hanging hard in Osaka right now. Will let the dust settle.

We're all gonna make it. :smt007

Then GonzoChicago Said;

Nice.

All the curry in Osaka.

No sweat.

Hodl.

Yes, about 1.5% of my holdings. Realized I needed more pocket money for Japan, (plus I really wanted to test Coinbase's selling, how long it realistically takes, if my bank would be cool, etc.) The money was in my account in 24 hours (even though Coinbase said 3-5 business days).

Also, to clarify, aside from my main stack, I turned a few hundred bucks into much more flipping a few things, so when I mention "letting things settle", I mean my main stack, and the other chunk I continue to flip. Eventually, I foresee getting lightly burned, but until then, fuck it. Exit point on that stack is -20% maximum, as it's 85% house money.

Went a little off the rails in Osaka, so another few sheckles are on their way to Coinbase. Will edit this once the sale goes through.

Edit: Another small Coinbase sell gone through, just fine.

As usual, those who rode out Bitcoin's bullshit are in the green again. I doubt this is a "dead cat bounce" at this point, but it's tough to say. With the markets the way they've been in Q4, I don't think I will ever sell ALT's to ride a BTC pump. REQ in particular will forever stick in my mind, gaining alongside BTC that one day. A bit nervous heading into 2018, but with this much spread I am not too concerned to let it all sit to get to my goal. Buying a hardware wallet soon. Still have no idea which is best.

No idea what to put new funds into in January. Perhaps 0x, Ethereum, Bitcoin itself, or more Chainlink. I will likely also put a chunk of it into my first ICO, called SHIPCHAIN. Public sale begins in January. We'll see what the consensus is by then.

ICON (ICX) went pretty bonkers while I slept! Took half profits and put it into Chainlink. I think my days of flipping Chainlink are over. Too nervous now. As with REQ, it could explode and stick for good at any point now. :lol:

REQ back up to .35. Inevitable billion dollar market cap, so I still think it's a good grower for Q1 2018, as is iExec RLC (perhaps even moreso).

I still think Genesis Vision (GVT) is an insanely good buy right now.

Pecking at information about Agoras (AGRS) and Enigma (ENG), may even out a little depending on what I see. Still not touching any of my Request Network. :twisted:

Edit: Fuck it. Can't pass up good opportunities. Scooped up Bread at (hopefully) bottom, for a short term hold, and some Enigma. Hopefully can flip some of it back into more Chainlink before it's too late. Dangerous game, but I don't see a Main Net announcement coming before mid January, but again, who knows. AGRS will have to wait.

Merry Christmas, ya'll. :smt006
Last edited by gonzochicago on Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gonzochicago
diablo
diablo

Postby curry pervert on Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:56 pm

Cryptocurrency is all about the 1% obtaining more power and control, and possibly skimming some extra coin out of it as a bonus.
caix wrote:Whoever said they started missing Clocker Bob after reading your dribble, I didn't get it at first. Now I totally get it. I am really missing Bob right now.
curry pervert
walter mondale
walter mondale

Postby gonzochicago on Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:04 pm

curry pervert wrote:Cryptocurrency is all about the 1% obtaining more power and control, and possibly skimming some extra coin out of it as a bonus.

As Tom said, if I can ride their coat-tails.... I'm in this with a first exit cash-out target. Any money left in the markets after that is purely a bonus, and I'll surely continue to funnel small bits of money in after I hit that goal.

Took my "fuck it" chunk and split it between a re-entry to ICON, and a new buy, Bounty0x ICON's Main Net supposedly hitting before EOY. Exit point, 50-100%.

Bounty0x is a new release on Kucoin with a 10m market cap. Just hit today. A literal bounty hunting program built on the 0x protocol. First bounty is for an EtherDelta hacker, and the bounty amount is $100,000 of cryptocurrency. Sounds silly, but a pretty awesome idea. My first "screw it" low cap deal.

Digging into their twitter, this is pretty rad, and risk of scam seems quite low, considering attached names (Shooter Jennings? ....ha.) https://twitter.com/bounty0x?lang=en

Exit point, 500%-1000% or bust (doubtful).

Also : Anyone who bought ELIXIR on my call at .06 cents, you are now 1,000% up. I'd sell that shit, personally, and reinvest. :lol:

Cheers, all.
gonzochicago
diablo
diablo

Postby gonzochicago on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:18 pm

ImageScreen Shot 2017-12-28 at 9.31.34 AM by John Yingling, on Flickr

Jesus. That was fast.

Iron hands to $1 now.

Edit : .27. Ahhh. My hands.

:lol: :twisted:
gonzochicago
diablo
diablo

Postby bishopdante on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:33 am

This is actually genuinely disturbing.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... explained/

According to one widely cited website that tracks the subject, the Bitcoin network is consuming power at an annual rate of 32TWh—about as much as Denmark [and rather more than Nigeria].

Eric Holthaus, a writer for Grist, projects that, at current growth rates, the Bitcoin network will "use as much electricity as the entire world does today" by early 2020.

Hmm... what happens then? Do the fuses blow? (Do free markets come equipped with fuses?) [You can't ask John Nash, the stress of cold war game theory gave him some sort of panic disorder]

OK, so there are roughly two mainstream uses going for Bitcoin:

"Wow... look at that graph climb... look at the ROI... free money for people with money!!". [Like gambling but with better odds].

... and ...

Buying drugs off a darkweb marketplace.

Only one of these is a 'real' economy.

In all honesty the idea of securing financial transactions with escalating electricity bills seems genuinely perverse.

Decentralised... secure... no worries.

Massive international-scale electricity burn to achieve...

The dubious luxury of anonymous payments in order to access recreational drugs?

This winter the north pole did not freeze:

http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 24446.html

On the other channel... most white powder and pill-form black market drugs are either cut with mystery synthetics or outright synthetic...

... and deaths from fentanyl in the USA are up 540% ...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante

Postby gonzochicago on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:37 am

prowler wrote:ByteBall looks cool but
so this Tony guy either needs to step up the recruiting or he's just scamming people

found a nice DAG-based comparison table: https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency ... locks_etc/
XRB looks more serious, and seems in the midst of a surge, guess we just missed that boat...

...can I just talk about / admit how totally fucking wrong I was on "letting Raiblocks cool off"? :lol: (at $1, a few weeks ago) ... (let's be honest though, nobody knew this shit was going to hit 18 goddamn dollars this fast, especially on these exchanges.)

Context : around the time of these posts, Raiblocks (XRB) was around $1. It's just hit $18 before correcting to $14.

I've been watching it go up, and up, and up, for weeks.

Madness continues to reign.

Bishop : As for electricity, shit man, I don't know what to say. I hope solid solutions come to fruition 2018. As for use cases, next year should be a very interesting ride. I have absolutely no doubt many aspects of what is happening this year will stick hard in 2018 and beyond. As I said back in September, this is still just the beginning.

Still comfy in REQ. Still not selling any under $1. RLC and XLM gaining well. Walton hit $18 the other day, and I doubled down when it dipped back to $8.

Ended up throwing a chunk into Agoras, and will do the same for QASH when I eventually exit Bounty0x. AGRS is bouncing all over the place with literally NO news. Something's up. I just can't help but place some bets on hugely innovative, and largely under the radar tech for 2018. Deep Brain Chain is worth considering at .08 cents now also as it hits Huobi on 1/1. Beware, though, ICO was .02 cents.

Onward!

Percentage to first planned cash-out point : 75%! ....infinitely faster than I anticipated.....if I hit it....d....do I....wait longer? :oops:
Last edited by gonzochicago on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
gonzochicago
diablo
diablo

Postby andyman on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:14 pm

Sorry to be a n00b, but what are you guys using for your wallets? I'm trying to orient myself with all this and so far am going Coinbase and Binance for a first run, since XRP seems to be on an upswing. Lot of shit to get a grasp on.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby prd on Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:26 pm

andyman wrote:Sorry to be a n00b, but what are you guys using for your wallets? I'm trying to orient myself with all this and so far am going Coinbase and Binance for a first run, since XRP seems to be on an upswing. Lot of shit to get a grasp on.

Going for Ripple is a good thing to do.

I use Electrum for BTC and even for storing Maid before (if) the SafeNet becomes a thing.

Has anyone used the Bit.Ac wallet in the past? They were one of the first wallets (if not the first one) to support almost every relevant coin. I originally registered for the purpose of storing Dash in 2016, but then found another way and forgot about it completely. Only these days, checking for every change I might have left somewhere, I found out the founder of Bit.Ac pulled Houdini, took all the stored coins from everyone without a "thank you" and disappeared into his own private financially secure and morally dead afterlife.

Which is a bit.ac of a warning. Try to avoid the third party.
prd
hiwatt
hiwatt

Postby gonzochicago on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:24 am

prd wrote:
andyman wrote:Sorry to be a n00b, but what are you guys using for your wallets? I'm trying to orient myself with all this and so far am going Coinbase and Binance for a first run, since XRP seems to be on an upswing. Lot of shit to get a grasp on.

Going for Ripple is a good thing to do.

I use Electrum for BTC and even for storing Maid before (if) the SafeNet becomes a thing.

Has anyone used the Bit.Ac wallet in the past? They were one of the first wallets (if not the first one) to support almost every relevant coin. I originally registered for the purpose of storing Dash in 2016, but then found another way and forgot about it completely. Only these days, checking for every change I might have left somewhere, I found out the founder of Bit.Ac pulled Houdini, took all the stored coins from everyone without a "thank you" and disappeared into his own private financially secure and morally dead afterlife.

Which is a bit.ac of a warning. Try to avoid the third party.

I may be wrong in a few weeks time, again, but if anyone new is lurking, if I were you I would absolutely not touch Ripple with a ten-foot pole for at least a week or two. For Ripple to go up even just 100%, that would put its market cap at 200 BILLION, or close to Bitcoin's. I really just don't see that happening in the next few months. I fear Ripple's correction is going to be heavy, and come with speed.

If anything, highly consider Stellar Lumens, or Request Network.

I have not tried Bit.Ac! Will try and look into it.

I use "My Ether Wallet" paper wallets for some things, like REQ. It holds ERC20 coins.

Hoping Exodus starts adding more of my shit soon. Fees are high but it'll be a decent solution for interim things.

I really, really need to buy a hardware wallet....like, yesterday. Really don't want to buy it in China, but....ah. Getting sweaty. :x
gonzochicago
diablo
diablo

Postby prd on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:05 am

Shit! I forgot it was Saturday.

I sold mine right before the slip though, and a 70% gain in a couple of hours made me smile. Ripple went to Cripple, but it will jump up again. Stellar's fall felt stellar. We'll see where they go from there.

Bit.ac is no longer a thing. The man robbed everyone and disappeared.
prd
hiwatt
hiwatt

Postby gonzochicago on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:17 pm

Before the BTC dump, both REQ and Stellar were poised for an insane breakout. When they dipped back down, I sold Chainlink AGAIN and grabbed another big bag of Request Network and Stellar, right before bed.

Woke up to a new all-time high for Request Network! Stellar should follow.

I believe Stellar and REQ will hit $1 sooner than anyone imagined, at this pace. Both are super "normie friendly", and people will continue to hunt for the next Ripple. The FairX thing for Stellar seems interesting as hell, and is coming in January. I had no idea, and may only lightly dip my toes into QASH depending on how January goes, as it's aiming for similar things in the end. Granted, QASH has not moved, at all.

I must get my Chainlink position back before Chainlink finally stays above .50 for good. I've done so well with REQ, LINK is going to be my true blue "fuck you money" mission for 2018, even though I lost my position at .20 cents. Zero fucks on that for now, though.
gonzochicago
diablo
diablo

Postby bishopdante on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:50 pm

gonzochicago wrote:Bishop : As for electricity, shit man, I don't know what to say. I hope solid solutions come to fruition 2018. As for use cases, next year should be a very interesting ride. I have absolutely no doubt many aspects of what is happening this year will stick hard in 2018 and beyond. As I said back in September, this is still just the beginning.

If you go have a dig for my first comment on BTC a *loong* time ago, you will find my post on why the securitization model of bitcoin is a serious issue: it's secured using computational expense, based on brute-force electricity consumption.

Having an expensive and rare commodity such as gold as the "reserve" makes some sense, in that money can be turned into gold and vice versa... but the problem is that bitcoin can't be turned back into electricity - it's non-convertible.

(It's also true that gold is a problem, because to extract 1g of gold today you have to mine approximately one tonne of rock, and quite often the energy and chemistry involved is horrific.)

https://www.thebalance.com/gold-mining- ... ge-2367340

________

The real 'value' of a future and viable mainstream cryptocurrency to my mind should exhibit the following features:

- 1 security against fraud or robbery
- 2 decentralisation / standardisation
- 3 openness / accountability
- 4 trust
- 5 price anchored on a portfolio of *real* commodities of tangible value, preferably of a relatively non-perishable or renewable sort
- 6 portability / ease of use
- 7 impartial legal framework / oversight protecting against abuse by criminals
- 8 stable value

Most of the cryptocurrencies don't meet these standards.

In many ways it'd make more sense to anchor the value of a secure currency on various commodities, and call the units "crude oils", "organic tomatoes", "tungsten ingots", "solar kWh" etc.

This is how a lot of insrritutional financial markets actually work. I think there is a strong case to made for decentralising these markets and turning them into secure network protocols.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante

Postby Raa on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:54 am

This might have been said before in this thread but is their any associated guilt that you're making money off a mathematical trick, a system rather than actual labour? For you to make money someone will invariably lose money to cover your gains.

Or this might also be exactly the kind of loser-talk you'd expect from someone without a cryptocurency wallet.
Raa
duke ellington
duke ellington

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion