home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Electronic music terror

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Electronic music terror

Postby ---- on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:39 am

In my tower block the nearest neighbors can play music for the entire day. The music is solely modern autotune'd pop music that I loathe. I feel that I can always hear compressed, computerized bass beat in my apartment. Ear plugs don't help, earmuffs painfully press eyeglasses against my head and naturally are completely unsuitable for sleeping. After filing several complaints and I've garnered a certain reputation and I fear making subsequent reports.
Nights are generally quiet due to rules, but on weekends day turns to night.

There are few things I despise more.

Have you had similar issues? Is moving to my own house the only viable option?
----
troll
troll

Re: Electronic music terror

Postby gregoire on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:36 pm

You could try active noise canceling headphones, or active noise canceling earphones if you wear glasses. They work much better than passive earplugs to attenuate bass frequencies.

Another way of reducing your annoyance is actually by immersing yourself in low level noise/sounds. The goal is to use sounds that you won't be distracted by, that you can easily forget about, but that will partially mask those bass beats. I personally use a white noise machine and free apps (like Relax Melodies) to elevate the background noise a few dBs in my apartment and it works well, especially useful at night when the overall level gets much lower (less street noise, etc.) but the neighbors are just as loud.
gregoire
junkballer
junkballer

Postby Anthony Flack on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:09 pm

I once had a downstairs neighbour who would play Ride Wit Me by Nelly on repeat all day long, every day. That was quite a time.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby bishopdante on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:18 am

I've long suspected that residential buildings should have soundproofing.

Soundproofing also acts as thermal insulation, so it is good on many levels.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Seby on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:20 am

Anthony Flack wrote:I once had a downstairs neighbour who would play Ride Wit Me by Nelly on repeat all day long, every day. That was quite a time.

Jesus fucking Christ....
Seby
JACKPOT!
JACKPOT!

Postby 154 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:21 am

bishopdante wrote:I've long suspected that residential buildings should have soundproofing.

Soundproofing also acts as thermal insulation, so it is good on many levels.

Well sure, if it didn't cost 3x as much as the pink stuff. Plus you're often talking about old buildings with no insulation at all and it's costly and messy taking down plaster walls..

I lived above a guy who would play shooter games with a subwoofer on. As a 'compromise' we asked him not to turn it on after midnight, but it'd basically always be there otherwise. I'd always have some sort of steady noise maker going (or tv or stereo), but unfortunately you roll the dice when it comes to city apartment living.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby bishopdante on Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:49 am

^ I have often wondered how many military veterans and refugees with PTSD have trouble with neighbours playing games that sound exactly like a warzone.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante

Postby ---- on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:22 pm

[it took a while to get this thread approved]

The prime troublemaker seems to have settled down after sending a lengthy handwritten letter.

Headphones or earmuffs can be used during the day to a certain point, but as far as I know there are no models suitable for sleeping.

I'm still annoyed that I practically lost two summer days due to the neighbor's very early music-listening. I had headache and felt vague.
----
troll
troll

Return to General Discussion