home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

PRFBBQ 2018 Chicago

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: PRFBBQ 2018 Chicago

Postby andteater on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:31 am

actually, it just occurred to me that Russ has told me several times that he was in a band during highschool/college that had songs that sounded like Sublime. he made this website so you should pay this band $10,000 to get back together to headline this thing.

$15,000 if they'll play the Sublime cover of Scarlet Begonias
andteater
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby PEPPER! on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:41 am

andteater wrote:I would like to curate the day of no bands.

can bands mime or are no people in bands even allowed in that day?
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby andteater on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:44 am

PEPPER! wrote:
andteater wrote:I would like to curate the day of no bands.

can bands mime or are no people in bands even allowed in that day?

if no people from bands are allowed in, the only attendee will be significant others of band members who will then finally be allowed to talk about how their partner's bands are kinda boring. this will be a healing experience.
andteater
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby jeff_fox on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:46 am

Day 3 inside the pizza oven at Borelli's.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby tallchris on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:51 am

TBH my other hesitancy with more than one night at Illuminated is that standing on those rocks for 6+ hours killed my legs for the next two days. Couldn't imagine doing that for several 12 hour+ days in a row.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby garthplinko on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:52 am

Can we do the whole thing on a boat out on the lake? Or too bougie?
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby andteater on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:58 am

tallchris wrote:TBH my other hesitancy with more than one night at Illuminated is that standing on those rocks for 6+ hours killed my legs for the next two days. Couldn't imagine doing that for several 12 hour+ days in a row.

when they rip into the Sublime version of Scarlet Begonias I assure you, it will all be worth it.
andteater
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby The Canadian on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:23 am

NONAGON confirmed to curate Saturday!
Band: http://practicewife.bandcamp.com/

BadComrade wrote: I bet James went in the bathroom and cried
The Canadian
President, Canadian Chapter

Postby eliya on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:06 pm

My 2 cents:

Don't try and reinvent the wheel. No need to get big bands to play this. Especially not local ones that tour regularly. I always think that the best part about these events is the grilling and hanging out.

Outdoors is cool but isn't it a logistics nightmare? What if it rains all weekend? What do you do with the gear overnight? Do you break it all down and store it somewhere only to rebuild everything the next day?

Illuminated is a cool space, but those rocks are a nightmare. Also, there's no where to hang out when you want a break from the music, and like Chris said, you can't sell merch.

If outdoors is the way people want to go, then maybe talk to the Hideout and see if they want to partner with the PRF in some way where we can use their outdoors space? I think that as far as permits from the city, it's a pretty easy thing to do, but maybe FM R.F.F can elaborate on this.

I thought that Borelli's (the pizza place) was the best venue. It's close to the train, and it's close enough to O'Hare for those who come in Friday night and/or need to leave Sunday night. It gets some natural light in there, so you don't feel like you're in a dark box the whole weekend. It has AC. It has the rooftop which is great when you need a break from the music. It also has two rooms so you can get more bands playing every day.

Lastly, while Andy is being facetious, I think that no bands day is great. Or have five bands play with long breaks between them. Let's hang out and grill.
eliya

Postby andteater on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:34 pm

Two words:

DRUG
CHURCH
andteater
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:41 pm

I think Begyle's taproom has an upstairs space that might be worth looking into.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:44 pm

I actually just had another thought:

Fireside

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:49 pm

Other ideas-

Maybe Emporium or Logan Hardware

The ChiPRC space

Whirlyball

The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby jacobwilliam on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:18 pm

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:Other ideas-

The ChiPRC space

Whirlyball

I thought the same with Logan hardware as well. Doesn’t Elastic Arts have shows sometimes as well. I’m assuming it’s a small space?
jacobwilliam
bobcat
bobcat

Postby The Canadian on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:28 pm

Ok, so The Columbines, Nonagon and Out will be curating Friday-Saturday-Sunday respectively. There is also a curated event in the works for Thursday. The framework is beginning to come together. From the discussions that have already taken place it's fair to say this will be one you won't want to miss.
Band: http://practicewife.bandcamp.com/

BadComrade wrote: I bet James went in the bathroom and cried
The Canadian
President, Canadian Chapter

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:51 pm

There was the ACME art space on Western that used to have events, but I haven't been there in years. I have no idea how active it is.

The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:43 pm

jacobwilliam wrote:
The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:Other ideas-

The ChiPRC space

Whirlyball

I thought the same with Logan hardware as well. Doesn’t Elastic Arts have shows sometimes as well. I’m assuming it’s a small space?

Unless they've moved to a new space from the spot on Ashland, ChiPRC space is way too small. Logan Hardware might be large enough. No idea about Emporium. Fireside would be ace.

Re: Illuminated, isn't there a possibility that they won't even be hosting these type of events anymore? Anyway having the Friday event there was cool in 2016 but a whole weekend there would be rough.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Tommy on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:06 pm

PEPPER! wrote:I'll start with my $.02 -

- having different people curate lineups for different nights/days will be more interesting than having one person decide everything

- Saturday & Sunday will be more fun if it's a party and not a bar/venue

The Canadian wrote:Thursday night BBQ launch party at a "Classic" PRF BBQ venue.

I think these are solid ideas.

The Canadian wrote:As for "Big Name Bands", there is one important PRF band that has yet to play a BBQ. I'd say this is the time.

motorbike guy wrote:However, if Shellac were to play, wouldn't that create all sorts of pressure on the venue and the support staff? They are so much bigger than this little PRF thing that we have. Just worried about it getting too big and out of control.

Don't promote it. Problem solved. Actually, don't tell anyone except those that need to know. Have several slots as "TBD" and keep them surprises.

tallchris wrote:TBH my other hesitancy with more than one night at Illuminated is that standing on those rocks for 6+ hours killed my legs for the next two days. Couldn't imagine doing that for several 12 hour+ days in a row.

THIS! I love Illuminated, but the BBQ is hard on the feet without standing on rocks.

I can only speak for myself, but the BBQ always benefits from a certain percentage of "new blood" bands each time. It keeps things interesting. I love all of you, but some bands I've seen pushing 20 times. Again, love ya. Just sayin'.

I still like the idea of some slots being surprises.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:12 pm

I think we should have a bunch of bands come into town and throw random guerrilla shows wherever. Laundromats, grocery stores, highway medians, just come in, play a couple of songs, leave.

The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:14 pm

Also re: top billing PRF band, I understand they got a tour planned next year in the May-June timeframe. I assume the BBQ date was set with this in mind, no? Cuz it won't work if they're off playing the continent in Flugelsdorfenberg or wherever.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion