home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Donate Cover Song to Illinois Non-Profit; help disabled kids

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Donate Cover Song to Illinois Non-Profit; help disabled kids

Postby b1l-paraquat on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:13 pm

Hey PRF folks, I am raising money for a non-profit in Illinois that provides free educational advocacy services for disabled children and trains their families to know what their children's educational rights are, as provisioned by law (FAPE, IEP, IDEA, ADA, etc.).

I would like to ask and invite you to donate cover versions of well-known (or maybe even some lesser-known) anti-love and anti-valentine's type songs as part of a Kickstarter campaign that will happen early next year.

If you would like to participate, please PM me before November 30th for additional details.

Thanks!
l_o_c wrote:I couldn't find any quotes on Sun Ra's political affiliation, beyond the need for there to be a Black House, and that the White House should be sent to the moon. I'm unaware if these are current Republican issues.
b1l-paraquat
viscount
viscount

Re: Donate Cover Song to Illinois Non-Profit; help disabled

Postby b1l-paraquat on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:43 pm

I'm bumping this for a second reminder about this cover song project.

Why am I doing this project?

Because we aren't all that far from the dark days when the disabled community essentially had no rights, were not full citizens. They spent their childhood segregated from the kids who had a right to an education, and their adulthood institutionalized as wards of the state. With laws like the Americans with Disabilities Act, the goal was to integrate the disabled into mainstream living and to give them the tools they need to be full citizens, to get a public education and to find meaningful employment.

Unfortunately, the ADA has never been fully funded since its inception in 1990, and that goal of full integration and citizenship has not been fully realized. Many of the disabled work in sheltered workshops, totally isolated from the able, making less than minimum wage for menial work.

What can you do?

Donate cover versions of well-known (or maybe even some lesser-known) anti-love, anti-valentine's, heartbreak, or break-up type song as part of a nationwide Kickstarter campaign that will happen in January/February of next year.

If you want to participate, please submit a full-band version and a vocal-less karaoke version (background vocals okay) of your track by November 30th at Midnight.

I have created a separate group to facilitate further discussion and information regarding songs planned and how to submit. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Covers4Kids/
l_o_c wrote:I couldn't find any quotes on Sun Ra's political affiliation, beyond the need for there to be a Black House, and that the White House should be sent to the moon. I'm unaware if these are current Republican issues.
b1l-paraquat
viscount
viscount

Re: Donate Cover Song to Illinois Non-Profit; help disabled

Postby b1l-paraquat on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Hey PRF family, the Family Matters project is GO.

Even if you can't afford to donate, or can't even think of anybody who would, please share this anyway, because a family who needs Family Matters' free services might benefit from hearing about the organization-- every state has a Parent Training center, sometimes two-- any of them can get a family in touch with an advocate in their state/district, because the advocate in your area will be familiar with your state's unique education laws as well as federal law.

Sending a big thank you to everybody who donated songs and helped make this happen!

phpBB [media]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z634KSffsa8
b1l-paraquat
viscount
viscount

Return to General Discussion